• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
i started a charizard rock smash petition thread, please take a look and comment
I actually like that they kept Flare Blitz instead. It gives Charizard another recovery option as well as a strong tech chase option if you're feeling risky. Plus he's supposed to feel like that powerful one of the trio, and Flare Blitz feels like it has a lot more oomph than Rock Smash. I loved Rock Smash in 4, it was a great mix up. But I'm not one bit surprised they kept Flare Blitz.

GmailDotCom

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrewUp0nNintend0
Switch FC
SW 7914 1944 4102
Already added this to the Sheik subforum, but I found a video of her new Final Smash that I was talking about earlier today:

Woah, I'm gonna need a lot of practice I haven't played smash in forever
About Pokemon Trainer. Will each of the Pokemon have separate tier list placements AND have one for Pokemon Trainer as a whole (a la Zelda, Sheik and Sheilda in Brawl)?
I doubt it, they all count as the same character I'm pretty sure.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
i started a charizard rock smash petition thread, please take a look and comment
He used Rock smash in one of the videos (or gameplay segment I don't remember) and flare blitz was on the website so maybe rock smash became a smash attack (or switching pokemon is different (doubt it though)).

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
All the new renders are vastly superior to SM4SH's. Mario isn't pissed off anymore, Samus isn't posed so you could tip her over by blowing on her, Zelda is my waifu.

Roberk

Smash Champion
So where is Meta Ridley? It appeared in the Direct but isn't present in Ridley's alts or his Final Smash. Maybe it's exclusive as a boss for a challenge mode, a la Metal Mario in 64? Is it possible that characters could get more alts than they already have in the E3 build in the final release?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
All the new renders are vastly superior to SM4SH's. Mario isn't pissed off anymore, Samus isn't posed so you could tip her over by blowing on her, Zelda is my waifu.
Mario looks disturbed on the cover art though. Not exactly a good first impression.

Also, for most of the cast that is true, but for a Yoshi nut like me, nothing will beat Smash 4 Yoshi's pose

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
that’s what it sounds like...Zelda might actually be placed pretty high on tier lists
Given the precedent Melee, Brawl and Smash 4 all set for her, I wouldn't get my hopes up, allow me to remind all of us that a character being buffed doesn't automatically mean they're going to become some amazing high tier. She might have got buffs, but we don't know if they're A. good buffs and B. how the rest of the cast compares to her post-buffing, let me make it clear that I'm not saying Zelda will absolutely be trash tier but please don't get your hopes up too high.
About Pokemon Trainer. Will each of the Pokemon have separate tier list placements AND have one for Pokemon Trainer as a whole (a la Zelda, Sheik and Sheilda in Brawl)?
Probably, it's not like Brawl where the game nerfs the character for sticking as one and essentially forces you to play as all the Pokemon.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Echo Fighters are basically characters (that so far) can go no further than a clone (with only a slight variant) in future installments.

Lucina has no tipper and Dark Pit has a few slight changes to a few moves.

Clones usually have a large range of stat adjustments. Over time they gain new moves to further differentiate themselves from their host.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh wait, so is this blog the equivalent to “Pic of the Day”. If so then I’m happy that it came back.
Ditto. Speaking of that, I wonder if new characters will be revealed on certain days like in that Brawl Dojo thing, or will we have to wait for Directs to find out about them?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Given the precedent Melee, Brawl and Smash 4 all set for her, I wouldn't get my hopes up, allow me to remind all of us that a character being buffed doesn't automatically mean they're going to become some amazing high tier. She might have got buffs, but we don't know if they're A. good buffs and B. how the rest of the cast compares to her post-buffing, let me make it clear that I'm not saying Zelda will absolutely be trash tier but please don't get your hopes up too high.
Probably, it's not like Brawl where the game nerfs the character for sticking as one and essentially forces you to play as all the Pokemon.
It’s like you want to ruin my hopes in actually using Zelda

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Why are people talking about echo fighters as if they are some sort of novelty? We have clones since 64...
Because it sounds a lot cooler than clones. ECHO fighters. Clones. You tell me which you'd rather say.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Chorus men and Simon belmont.
Both extremely likely for different reasons.
Simon leaked by Vergeben, and is extremely likely IMO.
Chorus men in the files for smash 4, likely excluded for same reason as icies.
Vergerbergle said one source told him about Ridley, another said "Ridley, Ice Climbers, Snake, and Simon".

If someone knew about Snake and Ice Climbers, they'd know about Pichu, Young Link, and "Everyone is here". I'm calling his second source fake.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Funny how they roasted Chrom for being a carbon copy but so was Dark Pit who literally only had 2 different moves

SakuBias
To be fair though Dark Pit is pretty much just an alternate costume with his own slot, don't think the comparison is really fair lol. when they wrote those lines Pitto was probably still a costume actually lol.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Vergerbergle said one source told him about Ridley, another said "Ridley, Ice Climbers, Snake, and Simon".

If someone knew about Snake and Ice Climbers, they'd know about Pichu, Young Link, and "Everyone is here". I'm calling his second source fake.
That IS a good point.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Okay so guys.

Guys we need to talk about Zelda.

She is so... FUN.

I got to play more Smash today (The line was INSANELY fast, I think there's a very good chance I'll get to play a LOT more tomorrow) and tried Zelda first. I have never liked Zelda as a fighter, she's just been so boring and basic and bad.

...I enjoyed her so much that I played her for all 4 of my remaining matches.

I don't know WHAT it is, but she just has so much more OOMPH to everything she does and it is incredible. And the Phantom?! You can set it up wherever, even in mid air, and it will lunge forward quickly and attack after a certain point, and hits pretty hard. I threw someone into it as it lunged forward and nailed it, it was SO satisfying.

And Din's Fire doesn't put you in free fall anymore and everything she does just has so much more ENERGY and expressiveness to it!

I'm floored, of all the veterans we have I never thought Zelda would be the biggest draw to me. I dunno if she's GREAT, but she is better, absolutely no doubt there. I am very much looking forward to playing her more.

...Also, the most hilarious thing happened. We ended up on New Pork after picking random, and of course Lucas's good friend the Chimera is back. But I ended up getting the Squid Sisters when pulling an assist, and the CHIMERA LITERALLY PROWLED AROUND IN FRONT OF THEM THE ENTIRE TIME, and there was VERY little room to move since we were on the bottom part of New Pork, so all three of the guys I was playing with got chomp'd. I barely managed to dance around him. But we all got a good laugh.
So, Zelda's amazing judging from this + the videos out there? I can't believe I'm hyped to play as Zelda for the first time in the history of Smash. Her design is amazing, her voice is super cute, taunts/victory animations look slick, those buffs... And I still not over TOP DOWN ZELDA REP IN SMASH.

Oh, and it's weird she doesn't have a Hilda alt, even base Hyrule Warriors had one. Echo, maybe? That'd be awesome, more so if Ravio is involved in her Final Smash.
But seeing that Meta Ridley is missing and Little Mac lost colors, I'm starting to hope there'll be unlockable costumes.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have any idea how rage mode works in Ultimate or if it even exists? No one is talking about it and it's driving me crazy.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
GUYS I JUST NOTICE SOMETHING BIG

FE- Fire Emblem
EF- Echo Fighter

One of the biggest things that people complained about last game was the overrepresentation of FE and the underrepresentation of other series like DK and Zelda. NOW Sakurai flipped it and we got a new problem. Too many Echo fighters and not enough unique fighters

I have predicted the future. I have predicted the problems that will come soon.Thank me later

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Community: Give us Ridley! No cuts! Bring back cut fighters! Put in more competitive mechanics!

Sakurai: Ok, here you go, this is the ultimate fanservice game!

Also community: WTF? Fewer newcomers? Why does Ridley look so weird? No Waluigi? This isn't what we asked for Sakurai!
Protip: The people complaining about Ridley are the ones who were saying he shouldn’t be in in the first place. I’ve yet to meet a Ridley fan not extremely happy with him.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Does anyone have any idea how rage mode works in Ultimate or if it even exists? No one is talking about it and it's driving me crazy.
It seems to still bet there, but starts around 130%

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Protip: The people complaining about Ridley are the ones who were saying he shouldn’t be in in the first place. I’ve yet to meet a Ridley fan not extremely happy with him.
Can confirm. Am happy Ridley fan. They took the best from all his prior designs and put them together in one to make a proper, good looking Ridley that is still vicious and brutal scaled down. I mean, just look how violent he looks and moves. Sakurai did what many though wasn't possible. Keeping the character of Ridley, but scaled down.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
It’s like you want to ruin my hopes in actually using Zelda
Nah, I want Zelda to be good too, I've just been through this whole act of characters getting buffs and nerfs before and I remember just how brutally all the hype people set up for insertbuffornerfhere could fall apart. Remember 1.1.6.'s Bayonetta nerfs? Would you believe me if I told you that some people even went as far to claim that she was "ruined" and would become a low tier? Knowing whether or not X or Y character got buffs or nerfs is a good thing, but what I'm saying is unless we know what those changes are and how the character'll compare to the rest of the cast, we won't really know what'll happen to them, it's best not to expect massive improvement from Zelda (or anyone else) right now. Don't get me wrong though, I'm also hoping that Zelda, and really the rest of the cast, is well balanced this game.

Shroob

Sup?
People are hyped about tomorrow's character of the day being a 'new' reveal since it's the 3rd day of the event, and the last 2 days have focused on newcomers.

And they already forgot Daisy's a thing.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

This video has more dislikes than Bayonetta.

Why?

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I honestly love this Ridley so much, it leans into the Giger/Ridley designs that the series draws inspiration from. As much as Ridley still has his iconic draconic look he just flows with a menacing horror monster, and I’d love to see this smaller Ridley in an actual Metroid game filling a more Xenomorph role.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
People are hyped about tomorrow's character of the day being a 'new' reveal since it's the 3rd day of the event, and the last 2 days have focused on newcomers.

And they already forgot Daisy's a thing.
I think because Daisy is an Echo Fighter, there's probably not much else to say other than alternate costumes.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Nah, I want Zelda to be good too, I've just been through this whole act of characters getting buffs and nerfs before and I remember just how brutally all the hype people set up for insertbuffornerfhere could fall apart. Remember 1.1.6.'s Bayonetta nerfs? Would you believe me if I told you that some people even went as far to claim that she was "ruined" and would become a low tier? Knowing whether or not X or Y character got buffs or nerfs is a good thing, but what I'm saying is unless we know what those changes are and how the character'll compare to the rest of the cast, we won't really know what'll happen to them, it's best not to expect massive improvement from Zelda (or anyone else) right now. Don't get me wrong though, I'm also hoping that Zelda, and really the rest of the cast, is well balanced this game.
I mean, I just care that she's fun to play. I like using Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom