• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Wait...

You're citing popularity as a reason to keep Corrin.

But Roy is more popular than Corrin and we have proof of that now.

If anything Corrin is the least popular Fire Emblem character.
Popular or not, Corrin still has his fair share of fans regardless. Every fighter does, even the clones and other characters that everybody accuse of "stealing slots on the roster." That's why I consider popularity among the players a petty reason to cut characters, simply because it would let down the fans of those characters, while doing nothing to the potential fighters other people want. It's a pointless arguement.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Pit and Palutena aren't created by Sakurai and their movesets are original, unlike Uprising debuted Dark Pit.
That's true, but I never stated characters he didn't make would be lacking in moveset potential. It's hard for me to count Dark Pit since he's a clone literally and gameplay wise. I think I'm just biased in wanting to see Viridi in Smash.

D

Deleted member

When it comes to Kid Icarus Newcomers, I am on team Viridi.

Great now that Waluigi and Wario are confirmed not related, I hope that Waluigi was secretly born by an intelligent alien race that shipped him back to Earth or whatever Mario's planet is.
Pikachu.

I don't care what the tier lists say, Pikachu has always been one of the worst characters in the series and it desperately needs an update.
I do not see anything wrong with Pikachu to be honest. Pikachu is basic and barely changes, but I think it's move-set fits it. An electric mouse that is small and frail but is very fast and attacks you with lightning and electric combos... sounds Pikachu to me. :p

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Who of the original 12 do you think needs overhauled/significantly changed the most? I know that some feel that a lot of Smash 4 characters were gimmicky, (I didn’t play it much so I don’t really have anything to say about that) but the characters from the original Smash Bros have some pretty basic movesets.

I think Samus could use the most work. Mario and Luigi are both very basic, but it seems Mario’s position as the Ryu of the game dooms him permanently to a fairly basic moveset. Luigi is enough of his own character at this point to get a completely new moveset, although I’d want him to share a few things with Mario since they’re brothers, after all.
Well you all know who I consider reworking to make good, but for the sake of it I'll go with Kirby. Other than Smash 64 he's been mediocre to horrible.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Pikachu.

I don't care what the tier lists say, Pikachu has always been one of the worst characters in the series and it desperately needs an update.
When you say "One of the worst", do you mean that you legitimately think Pikachu is a bad character, or do you just find his moveset lacking/boring? Because the latter I can understand, but like you ackowledged, Chu has been one of the most consistently good characters in the entire series.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
For Kid Icarus Uprising newcomers, I am firmly on team Hades. Now THAT was a fun villain.
I find it funny that the voice actor has now played Hades in two things now.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just think Kid Icarus should be Pit and Palutena. There's no need for anyone else at this moment and time. And I loved Uprising, but I can do without that supporting cast in Smash for now. Give them time to flesh out and grow more in a hopeful sequel.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I need Sudowoodo as the Pokemon newcomer.
Tossin' Bonsley's and squirt bottlin' scrubs.
Throwin' low kicks and dabin' on enemies. bapba bapba baba.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
When you say "One of the worst", do you mean that you legitimately think Pikachu is a bad character, or do you just find his moveset lacking/boring? Because the latter I can understand, but like you ackowledged, Chu has been one of the most consistently good characters in the entire series.
I may also be a little biased, but Pikachu just ain't fun to play as. At all. A lot of its attacks are tricky and confusing, as well as pretty situational, and I could just never get a good feel for the character.

At least I can get some laughs out of maining Pichu in Melee for its meme status within the Smash community

Last edited:

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to Kid Icarus Newcomers, I am on team Viridi.

Great now that Waluigi and Wario are confirmed not related, I hope that Waluigi was secretly born by an intelligent alien race that shipped him back to Earth or whatever Mario's planet is.

I do not see anything wrong with Pikachu to be honest. Pikachu is basic and barely changes, but I think it's move-set fits it. An electric mouse that is small and frail but is very fast and attacks you with lightning and electric combos... sounds Pikachu to me. :p
What evidence is there that Wario and Waluigi are not related?

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I've seen some people call for Sylux to be in, but by the time Sakurai's project plan was planned out I'm certain Prime 4 did not start development yet. That or it was literally just starting. Sylux is in that weird middle ground where's he's obscure and fairly irrelevant, but we know he's going to become really relevant and important very, very soon.

For other Metroid reps, outside of Ridley who's been talked to death, I'd recommend Dark Samus. The way she moves and fights is nothing like Samus, but at the same time I've seen people bring up the silhouette issue. Idk. Metroid just needs someone new.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Concerning Pokemon newcomers, I'm surprised that nobody's brought up Necrozma yet. You know, this terrifying peck-neck?

I think it would be pretty cool to see: a new legendary, a new villain, and a new non-gen-1 Pokemon rep. Its moves and Ultra form can definitely give it an edge, too, when it comes to its moveset. Seriously, why hasn't this been brough up, yet?

D

Deleted member

What evidence is there that Wario and Waluigi are not related?
This post.
Concerning Pokemon newcomers, I'm surprised that nobody's brought up Necrozma yet. You know, this terrifying peck-neck?

I think it would be pretty cool to see: a new legendary, a new villain, and a new non-gen-1 Pokemon rep. Its moves and Ultra form can definitely give it an edge, too, when it comes to its moveset. Seriously, why hasn't this been brough up, yet?
Ehh, looks more like a boss to be honest.
Also keep in mind that Necrozma being a villain and more notable was in USUM, so Necrozma is out of the table for a newcomer.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I still stand by Serperior being the best choice for a Pokemon newcomer.

Unique moveset, relatively popular, gives us a grass starter to even out the roster. What's not to love?

D

Deleted member

Ok, so nothing then. Still the joke. Sorry, I didn't get it.
The post below, the one made by GameBoi?
I just think Kid Icarus should be Pit and Palutena. There's no need for anyone else at this moment and time. And I loved Uprising, but I can do without that supporting cast in Smash for now. Give them time to flesh out and grow more in a hopeful sequel.
Viridi would be a nice addition though. At least make her an assist trophy.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Viridi should get automatic consideration just because she will trash talk you while fighting.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I've seen some people call for Sylux to be in, but by the time Sakurai's project plan was planned out I'm certain Prime 4 did not start development yet. That or it was literally just starting. Sylux is in that weird middle ground where's he's obscure and fairly irrelevant, but we know he's going to become really relevant and important very, very soon.

For other Metroid reps, outside of Ridley who's been talked to death, I'd recommend Dark Samus. The way she moves and fights is nothing like Samus, but at the same time I've seen people bring up the silhouette issue. Idk. Metroid just needs someone new.
The problem with other Metroid reps is that the series, besides Samus and Ridley, generally only introduces a character for a few games. Dark Samus is certainly the longest runner after those, if you include her Prime 1 appearance where she...isn’t quite herself. But Dark Samus is done with, Tanabe has said as much.

Coupled with the fact that Metroid isn’t exactly Sakurai’s favorite series, I don’t think we’ll ever see anyone aside from Ridley (haha jk never ever, he’s literally impossible to make without years of research by top scientists) show up. Which is a shame. I’d love to play as Dark Samus, or Sylux, or any of the other hunters.

Metroid has a lot of cool characters, but outside the main two, they don’t stick around for long, which I think works to it’s disadvantage when it comes to getting new characters.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
The post below, the one made by GameBoi?

Viridi would be a nice addition though. At least make her an assist trophy.
But that's just a conversation between random unidentified people. How is that evidence? I could say, "Nintendo says Waluigi is a failed clone of Luigi" and have just as much evidence.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
But seriously, Viridi appears on a 3DS stage, is apart of the guidance's (has a voice actor), has a post ballot mii costume, and has a trophy in the 3ds version.

Viridi for smash 5

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
The problem with other Metroid reps is that the series, besides Samus and Ridley, generally only introduces a character for a few games. Dark Samus is certainly the longest runner after those, if you include her Prime 1 appearance where she...isn’t quite herself. But Dark Samus is done with, Tanabe has said as much.

Coupled with the fact that Metroid isn’t exactly Sakurai’s favorite series, I don’t think we’ll ever see anyone aside from Ridley (haha jk never ever, he’s literally impossible to make without years of research by top scientists) show up. Which is a shame. I’d love to play as Dark Samus, or Sylux, or any of the other hunters.

Metroid has a lot of cool characters, but outside the main two, they don’t stick around for long, which I think works to it’s disadvantage when it comes to getting new characters.
I always thought Sakurai really liked Metroid. Quite a few assist trophies and whether people like how Ridley was implemented or not, he was more complex than most other stage hazards. Plus the Metroid references in Uprising. Metroid really doesn't have much in the way of playable characters I'll give you that. I don't think Dark Samus' arc being finished means it's impossible for her, but again I feel Sylux as potential DLC is more likely. A shame because Dark Samus has a lot of great moveset potential.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
As funny as Palutena's Guidance was, I always preferred Snake's codecs.
La li lu le lo! La li lu le lo! La li lu le lo!
I think the reason Snake’s codecs work so much better is that because it’s a bunch of serious government operatives talking about combat strategies against a bunch of cartoon characters.

Palutena’s Guidance is goofy cartoon characters talking about goofy cartoon characters.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

Depends on how Prime 4 handles Sylux. If he's got an important role like he's been teased to be and he isn't killed off or anything, he might have a good shot for DLC or a future Smash game if Ridley is still too darn big.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Well, a big show or something's coming up soon, who can say, so why not share some stuff here? I've put together two rosters: one that uses (mostly) my best guesses at the Smash Switch roster, and one that I would most enjoy using the same number of characters.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I am curious on what Smash Switch's Palutena's Guidance will be. I've seen people say Squid Sisters but I think the point of these things are to hear them talk. So maybe Star Fox? I recall there being an easter egg for that both in Melee and Wii U. Or if Snake returns maybe bring his thing back. Or Fire Emblem...but I doubt that would have a good reaction because it's Fire Emblem.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Well, a big show or something's coming up soon, who can say, so why not share some stuff here? I've put together two rosters: one that uses (mostly) my best guesses at the Smash Switch roster, and one that I would most enjoy using the same number of characters.

>Having more Fire Emblem characters than Pokemon
>Monita
>Tingle
>No Third Party Newcomer
>No Miis

Granted I would love this roster (outside Tingle and especially Monita), but this is definitely unconventional at best.

:kirby:

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I am curious on what Smash Switch's Palutena's Guidance will be. I've seen people say Squid Sisters but I think the point of these things are to hear them talk. So maybe Star Fox? I recall there being an easter egg for that both in Melee and Wii U. Or if Snake returns maybe bring his thing back. Or Fire Emblem...but I doubt that would have a good reaction because it's Fire Emblem.
I’ve wanted Samus’s Scan Visor for a while. It has a voice in Prime, it just doesn’t read them aloud because it’s Metroid and you don’t want someone talking your ear off every three seconds. *A H E M* It would fit because you’d get all these weird faux-scientific facts about a bunch of weirdos, all with a text-to-speech lady reading it aloud. It would never happen but it would be fun.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Who of the original 12 do you think needs overhauled/significantly changed the most? I know that some feel that a lot of Smash 4 characters were gimmicky, (I didn’t play it much so I don’t really have anything to say about that) but the characters from the original Smash Bros have some pretty basic movesets.

I think Samus could use the most work. Mario and Luigi are both very basic, but it seems Mario’s position as the Ryu of the game dooms him permanently to a fairly basic moveset. Luigi is enough of his own character at this point to get a completely new moveset, although I’d want him to share a few things with Mario since they’re brothers, after all.
Definitely Kirby. He has an infinte pool of abilities to pull from yet he’s been trash since melee.

He honestly has the potential to be the most unique and creative character on the roster.

Last edited:

Irarius

Smash Journeyman

youre dreamroster has me have some questionmarks mate, for one why did you cut Zs samus? where did roy go, not going to go into those weard trainer choices and stuff, but thats one very very weard roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom