• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Ive seen Medusa on most of these leaked lists
Really makes me hope she actually has a chance this time.
Its awfully weird a character like her would be in a majority of these "leaks"

TBH no cuts other than one probably just means they forgot a character when they made the "leak" so I wouldnt put that as evidence against it.

Now the fact it's a random list leak with no other info that is super wishlist-y. . .that's evidence :p
:061:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know what would be hype for me, them fixing Sonic's Homing Attack, seriously they really need to make it work like it does in the actual Sonic games.
I don't think they can do that in the context of Smash's gameplay.

They already included it in the best way I can imagine. Heck he even has the bounce afterwards.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
While I'd personally prefer Viridi, any new Kid Icarus rep is more than welcome in my book.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
To be fair, now that Corrin isn't stuck in "My game hasn't been localized yet" limbo, we will most likely get more personality this time around.
I guess, in her own words...

"GOOD."

You know what would be hype for me, them fixing Sonic's Homing Attack, seriously they really need to make it work like it does in the actual Sonic games.
Honestly, the way it is now is how it should be for a Smash game. If his homing attack didn't have the wind up and arc it does, it'd be pretty dang hard to counter.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I'd take Viridi over Medusa, but I'd be ok with another Kid Icarus rep regardless. Uprising had so many fun characters.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/419361087

From Resetera
Most likely fake. Everyone except Corrin coming back? IDK about that. Also it just seems like its piggybacking Vergeben/Imgur with some slight changes.
Humoring this rumor:
-It seems to cherry pick from the Imgur rumor that's very popular right now, but removes certain characters (Geno, Sora, and Porky) and adds a couple (Dillon and Spring Man) to give it its own identity.
-Corrin is the only cut, which is very strange since other games had multiple characters fall to the wayside for different reasons and it'd be odd for them to single out one character, especially one that carries a unique moveset with them and doesn't have possible negotiation or mechanical issues.
-Dillon is with the Third Parties, which makes no sense as he's a Nintendo IP.

Yeah, I don't buy it.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ya know...

That 4chan link made me think of something...

Of all the Smash 4 DLC trailers... Corrin has the least views and most dislikes...

Do you think that will affect anything?

Pakky

Smash Hero
It is as well as Ridely to be honest.

No BWD is odd though, DLC for sure if not in the main roster.

Spring man I can believe.

Does the 'leaker' not know Dillon isn't third party?
Yeah but the the UI is a mess anyway.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Ya know...

Of all the Smash 4 DLC trailers... Corrin has the least views and most dislikes...

Nah. I think people were just tired of the Fire Emblem representation. Pretty sure Sakurai stated in an interview he was iffy about adding another one. He's/She's fairly unique so I don't have an issue with Corrin. If someone can find that source for me I'd appreciate it.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Ya know...

I’d imagine actual DLC sales would have more of an impact than something like that, given that, for all we know, a notable quantity of views/dislikes could be people who don’t even own either version of Smash 4. (Is there any way to know how the DLC sold or do we just have to speculate about it?)

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ya know...

I mean, they have their fans and it's not like people won't buy the game because of them. Maybe they'll be somehow lower priority but on the other hand, they were the latest protags in a sense.
Maybe developers hope people will warm them up, like R.O.B.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I hope there aren't any cuts. Even the clones. I think a big difference between this development cycle and the last 2 Smash games is gonna make a big difference. Brawl had Subspace, and I don't think this game will have a large story mode that takes a lot of time to make. Smash 4 was split between 2 versions. I can't imagine the stress Sakurai was put under to develop both.
Additionally for this Smash there's the ease of being able to port everything over and have it near-ready, whereas with Brawl they had to remake all the models and assets because Melee's archaic code made straight porting infeasible, and with Smash 4 they again couldn't straight port because all the assets and models had to be remade for HD. So with that and the factors you mention, I think no cuts is the realistic scenario even if Vergeben's leaks are false.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Ya know...

I highly doubt it. If fan popularity were the only aspect, Dark Pit and Jigglypuff would be the first to go. ( I assume Jigglypuff's not very popular, don't quote me on that).

Plus, Fates is still the best selling Fire Emblem game, so Corrin definitely has significance.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Ya know...

I'm going to be completely honest, I have made a prediction roster where Corrin was the only cut. Corrin wasn't super well received, and Sakurai has said that he felt Fire Emblem was a little over saturated. (S)he's my personal preference for first unique character cut. However Corrin is very unique, and was created for DLC, so they have some of the most up to date assets should they decide to port over a lot of assets, so I can't really say cutting Corrin makes sense beyond personal bias. But who knows, maybe the poor reception of Corrin was enough to do them in.

For the record, I'm assuming this is fake.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Only 2 and a half days....

Castlevania curse of Darkness could been an incredible game. the setting was alright, teh story was decent, and both the innocent devils mechanichs, and the steal and weapon forge mechanics were pretty good.

is just a shame that all of this is wasted in probably the more boring level design Castlevania have ever got.

YET, the music delivers, big time.

Seriously, this game with an ounce of "darksoulsquality" level design would been a gem.

If you are just seeing this posts ,please feel free to browse the previous tracks, and tackle a dive into castlevania history, and the long impression that caused in systems like the NES, SNES, PSX and GBA.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I do believe Medusa is the best choice for the 3rd truly unique KI character (DPit is a clone)
> Important to the 3rd game and super heavily advertised for said game and being important for 9 chapters while Hades is mostly just a background meme till the finale
> Shes one of the first truly big bad women in gaming history alongside motherbrain and shes an NES legacy character
> Shes the last NES Kid Icarus big 3 chars to get in
> Shes visually super unique and we lack a truly gothic character in smash atm
> Shes a villain and a girl, 2 things that for the most part are still lacking in smash as the male to female ratio is still heavily botched
While yes Viridi is nice Medusa is far more important to gaming history and the KI series as a whole than Viridi is. I may be biased towards Medusa but I do hope these leaks turn out to be factual in some way and she IS in the game.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Additionally for this Smash there's the ease of being able to port everything over and have it near-ready, whereas with Brawl they had to remake all the models and assets because Melee's archaic code made straight porting infeasible, and with Smash 4 they again couldn't straight port because all the assets and models had to be remade for HD. So with that and the factors you mention, I think no cuts is the realistic scenario even if Vergeben's leaks are false.
I would assume they will still update a lot of character models. I know how picky some of the internet can be and if some models are just higher resolution I can see some freaking out even if I think it's silly. As long as Samus is updated I don't care lol.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ya know...

I think the thing that hurt views most of Corrin was that she/he was released alongside the Ballot winner as well during the ballot period at all.

They were the only character no one asked for during a period where everything seemed about fans and fan wet dreams.

Then we get the Fire Emblem lead that not many people had a chance to know yet at all.

I think that's what hurt Corrin more than FE fatigue.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
That seems like a realistic roster honestly... I see a lot of people hating on Dillon in that thread but he has a new game coming out and he was an assist Trophy last time around, he would be an unexpected newcomer, im indifferent towards him as I've never played his games but I love his character design.. that being said it's probably fake and that's because of Springman... no way your seeing ARMs character's on the base roster, Inklings missed the boat for being a new franchise around Smash 4. No reason to think it would be any different for th ARMs characters.

I would have no complaints with that roster though, Banjo is the only character I would want that isn't on it.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Man.
The best part of Waluigi supposedly not being related to Wario, is how he plays into the greater tale of Mario as a universe.
Yoshi's Island DS plays up that :4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4dk: and :4wario2:are all destined children.
Waluigi is a random citizen, independently stuck with the name of Waluigi, who somehow happened to meet up with and become friends with Wario.
Wario then takes him to the Mushroom Kingdom Tennis tournament, and there is just this primal fire of jealousy and hatred that just erupts in him.
All his mechanical-themed stuff going from Waluigi Island in MP3, to Waluigi Pinball, to Bob Ombs, the Vaccuum orb in MP7, his quad-armed robotic backpack in Mario Sports Mix, is him driving himself to be a man-made star in this world of destined heroes (and anti-heroes).
Let this man have his time to shine already.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Who of the original 12 do you think needs overhauled/significantly changed the most? I know that some feel that a lot of Smash 4 characters were gimmicky, (I didn’t play it much so I don’t really have anything to say about that) but the characters from the original Smash Bros have some pretty basic movesets.

I think Samus could use the most work. Mario and Luigi are both very basic, but it seems Mario’s position as the Ryu of the game dooms him permanently to a fairly basic moveset. Luigi is enough of his own character at this point to get a completely new moveset, although I’d want him to share a few things with Mario since they’re brothers, after all.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Yeah I do believe Medusa is the best choice for the 3rd truly unique KI character (DPit is a clone)
> Important to the 3rd game and super heavily advertised for said game and being important for 9 chapters while Hades is mostly just a background meme till the finale
> Shes one of the first truly big bad women in gaming history alongside motherbrain and shes an NES legacy character
> Shes the last NES Kid Icarus big 3 chars to get in
> Shes visually super unique and we lack a truly gothic character in smash atm
> Shes a villain and a girl, 2 things that for the most part are still lacking in smash as the male to female ratio is still heavily botched
While yes Viridi is nice Medusa is far more important to gaming history and the KI series as a whole than Viridi is. I may be biased towards Medusa but I do hope these leaks turn out to be factual in some way and she IS in the game.
I think the main reason I pick Viridi over Medusa is (outside of Viridi's personality), I believe Sakurai created Viridi if I'm not mistaken. So he could possibly have more interest in making a moveset for his own creation. I could be wrong, and I have no issues with Medusa.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Before I forget

As a general rule of thumb, Smash characters are not picked because they can promote something. There are characters where that was the reason (Roy) but Roy is a clone that has fire built into his attacks and thus cost less time and money to develop. Contrary to popular belief, Corrin was in fact chosen because she looked like she would have a interesting moveset and I think Sakurai was successful on that front (never mind that the game had already come out in Japan by the time the DLC was announced). Greninja was chosen for similar reasons, although its game was still very much in development by the time the roster was being chosen. Plus, a roster slot was set aside for a Gen VI Pokemon from the beginning.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I think the thing that hurt views most of Corrin was that she/he was released alongside the Ballot winner as well during the ballot period at all.

They were the only character no one asked for during a period where everything seemed about fans and fan wet dreams.

Then we get the Fire Emblem lead that not many people had a chance to know yet at all.

I think that's what hurt Corrin more than FE fatigue.

Lackluster compared to well

CLOUD and BAYONETTA

The IMPOSSIBLE and the WTF and there's Corrin... a swordsman from FE, unique but a swordsman for FE that no one knows.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think the main reason I pick Viridi over Medusa is (outside of Viridi's personality), I believe Sakurai created Viridi if I'm not mistaken. So he could possibly have more interest in making a moveset for his own creation. I could be wrong, and I have no issues with Medusa.
Pit and Palutena aren't created by Sakurai and their movesets are original, unlike Uprising debuted Dark Pit.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Before I forget

As a general rule of thumb, Smash characters are not picked because they can promote something. There are characters where that was the reason (Roy) but Roy is a clone that has fire built into his attacks and thus cost less time and money to develop. Contrary to popular belief, Corrin was in fact chosen because she looked like she would have a interesting moveset and I think Sakurai was successful on that front (never mind that the game had already come out in Japan by the time the DLC was announced). Greninja was chosen for similar reasons, although its game was still very much in development by the time the roster was being chosen. Plus, a roster slot was set aside for a Gen VI Pokemon from the beginning.
With Corrin and Greninja, it's kinda the same thing.
Sakurai was given a... "conditional seat," and chose the most interesting character he saw of the cast.
Corrin was the best looking character out of "recently/upcoming released games" to promote, as he has gone on record to state. Greninja and most likely the case of the Gen 7 rep if we get one, is the same circumstance where GameFreak gave him art of a handful of mons they planned to promote in the first place.
Edit: But, yes. It is very rare that it ever happens. 2/3 cases is last minute choices and the third was due to the team pushing an upcoming title in their revolving door series.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Who of the original 12 do you think needs overhauled/significantly changed the most? I know that some feel that a lot of Smash 4 characters were gimmicky, (I didn’t play it much so I don’t really have anything to say about that) but the characters from the original Smash Bros have some pretty basic movesets.

I think Samus could use the most work. Mario and Luigi are both very basic, but it seems Mario’s position as the Ryu of the game dooms him permanently to a fairly basic moveset. Luigi is enough of his own character at this point to get a completely new moveset, although I’d want him to share a few things with Mario since they’re brothers, after all.
I'm with you on Samus. A lot of her Smash attacks are underwhelming. Plain explosions when they could use another beam instead. Plus her charge shot looks nothing like it does in the games, but I can't see that being changed because it's the most recognizable thing in her Smash moveset.

Hot take: Medusa wasn't very important to KIU. She only really appears in 3 chapters and in one of them, her entire role is letting you know Dark Pit is a neutral party, not under her. Medusa's handling is honestly one of my least favorite parts of the game.

Just look at smash for representation
Medusa: a trophy

Viridi: trophy
mii costume
her own stage on 3DS
appearance in palutena's guidance

From the looks of things, Viridi is probably Sakurai's favorite of the 3 usual suspects for another KI character :p
:061:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Pikachu.

I don't care what the tier lists say, Pikachu has always been one of the worst characters in the series and it desperately needs an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom