• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
highkey hoping for a revamped ivysaur where he focuses on grass moves and poison moves

i can dream, okay??? maybe his down special can be sludge bomb or something

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
What if the “Heroes vs Villains” leak isn’t exactly true, but not entirely false either?

What I’m saying is what if the story is almost along the lines of Dissidia? Where the two gods of the world summon champions to fight on their side. Like say the story revolves around Master Hand and Crazy Hand summoning their champions for whatever reason. So the “villains” wouldn’t be exactly evil per say, but could involve characters that are more chaotic in nature without exactly being evil? It could make for a very interesting story.

I don’t know, just a thought, maybe I’m just being too presumptuous.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this but I cannot find SourceGaming to be professional nor worthy to take too seriously, especially those tremendously subjective and random "rate that character chances" videos.
Every Smash for Switch newcomer except Inklings are Schrödinger's cats, character speculation is for fun anyway.

Zeox

Smash Champion
What if the “Heroes vs Villains” leak isn’t exactly true, but not entirely false either?

What I’m saying is what if the story is almost along the lines of Dissidia? Where the two gods of the world summon champions to fight on their side. Like say the story revolves around Master Hand and Crazy Hand summoning their champions for whatever reason. So the “villains” wouldn’t be exactly evil per say, but could involve characters that are more chaotic in nature without exactly being evil? It could make for a very interesting story.

I don’t know, just a thought, maybe I’m just being too presumptuous.
Having Square Enix in the mix, it wouldn't surprise me this was the case.

Roberk

Smash Champion
The only reason people are convinced she can only be a clone is because of FEWarriors, a game in which a large chunk of the cast, including the DLC characters, share the same or very similar movesets to pad out the roster

Weren't they initially going to be Japan exclusive characters? Even then Roy was just added to pad the roster out and to advertise the upcoming game, different scenario than adding a character from a dead franchise
To be fair, I'm pretty sure I've heard that in Gaiden (Celica's original game) Celica was basically Marth with magic gameplay wise. The idea of Celica being a clone/similar character can be credited with her original and recent appearances. That being said, I don't think she'd be a clone a clone she has a lot to offer (priestess, wings, fire/explosion magic, Mila's Turnwheel, etc.) but I wouldn't bat an eye if she was relegated to a clone. Being a clone shouldn't be expected, but considered.

?????????????

Smash Master
I made a huge post about it earlier in the week, but Decidueye is my favorite Pokémon pick. Regardless of why, we do have a fully-evolved Fire and Water starter in Smash, and I want to be able to pick Grass because it’s my favorite. I think Decidueye would be particularly fun as an archery-heavy character and a Ghost type.

...Or, they could go back and add Sceptile, the greatest Pokémon of all time.

Troykv

Smash Master
How do you feel the scores must work? Personally I used them in this way.

100% Inkling
60>90% This character has a lot going for them, and it's very unlikely to don't see them in Smash
40~60% This character has a lot going for them, and it will be at least considered.
15~40% This character has several things in their side, but would be overshadow for other choices.
15% If this character fits basic criteria to be selected, you fit here
5~14% This character has some important problems to appear in the game.
0.1~5% This character is filled of problems, or it's a conflictive concept that doesn't make sense to appear as their own character (like Pyra without Rex).
0% Joke characters and other stuff that it's completely impossible.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Nope. All of his throws, his pummel, his B moves and his FS uses magic, which makes 10 moves. He also uses the Lewin Sword for his Smash attacks which is also magical with it's electric sparks creating additional hitboxes (with the power of said sword being canonically derived from the Magic stat in his home series) so that is several more moves to take into account.
Robin could still have done so much more though. It would be nice to have a FE magic user that isn't held down by a horrible durability gimmick forcing the majority of their magic into specials. or using the magic sword by physically stabbing opponents.
Honestly a Poison pokemon would be cool as ****, having poison gasses up as traps like that one Poison Kirby attack needed for a puzzle in Robobot, it can be affected by the wind and slowly racks up the damage. You can even add Venoshock or Venom Drench to make things worse for your enemies. Shame that Poison types rarely, if ever, seem to be popular or even noticed by Game Freak as it took years for them to be super effective on more than ****ing Grass
Poison's pretty much a unique gimmick that writes itself. I'm surprised that no one has yet to claim such a playstyle besides Olimar. I'm kinda thinking that Sakurai is specifically avoiding any DOT movesets that use something like the flower head effect until the time he can actually add Lip into the game, seeing as how it's her stick that mainly uses the effect.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Every Smash for Switch newcomer except Inklings are Schrödinger's cats, character speculation is for fun anyway.
Character speculation isn't fun when we know jack **** about the game. Didn't this thread talk about goddamn Spiderman in Smash very seriously to pass the time? That's how desperate we are. God I hope SOMETHING from the E3 booths leaks to make this week more bareable

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Character speculation isn't fun when we know jack **** about the game. Didn't this thread talk about goddamn Spiderman in Smash very seriously to pass the time? That's how desperate we are. God I hope SOMETHING from the E3 booths leaks to make this week more bareable
I'm actually hoping the opposite, I really hope nothing leaks so then the surprises and hype can be even more genuine. It's always a lot more fun to wait for the surprise than be spoiled of it, at least to me.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
For my 1000 post, I'm going to summon meme magic and guess that

Today, Tomorrow or After tomorrow something will get leaked for Smash Bros.
It will be a true leak, but we will dissmiss it as dumb.
Best case scenario it's a booth leak.
MasterOfHyrule booth "leak" could be true with props from characters appearing.
If it does happen, please let a Keyblade appear.

Troykv

Smash Master
Robin could still have done so much more though. It would be nice to have a FE magic user that isn't held down by a horrible durability gimmick forcing the majority of their magic into specials. or using the magic sword by physically stabbing opponents.

Poison's pretty much a unique gimmick that writes itself. I'm surprised that no one has yet to claim such a playstyle besides Olimar. I'm kinda thinking that Sakurai is specifically avoiding any DOT movesets that use something like the flower head effect until the time he can actually add Lip into the game, seeing as how it's her stick that mainly uses the effect.
Yes please! I want more magic users in Smash Bros! :happysheep:

Poison is that kind of gimmick that children hate :mad088:, but I think it would do something fun :p

Zeox

Smash Champion
For my 1000 post, I'm going to summon meme magic and guess that

Today, Tomorrow or After tomorrow something will get leaked for Smash Bros.
It will be a true leak, but we will dissmiss it as dumb.
Best case scenario it's a booth leak.
MasterOfHyrule booth "leak" could be true with props from characters appearing.
If it does happen, please let a Keyblade appear.
And what if nothing happens?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Fun for people who perform it? Regardless of I wanted/predicted them or not Smash characters are generally satisfying for me, so I don't speculate much. Dixie would be cool though.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm not going to read something on what a character that would never happen for reasons I already listed to see why they could somehow ignore that huge hurdle because "Oh well actually this character deserves to ignore the hurdle despite the hurdle still being there"

Eh... Gengar's mostly known for it's shadowy tricks so it wouldn't be added for that I feel

30 is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too generous
I would recommend that you take the time to read it because Lip is an unique character that Sakurai haven't tapped on yet. Add to the fact that she can make a great retro character out of nowhere

~~Lip~~
.:Composite Moveset:.

~General Stats~
Size: Small (in-between Diddy Kong and Mario)
Weight: Very light (in-between Rosalina and Kirby)
Speed: Fast (slightly slower than Diddy Kong)
Jump: High (about as high as Pikachu)

~Basic Moves~
Neutral Attack - Hits three times.
[Hit 1] She swings her (closed) flower rod in front of her. (2%)​
[Hit 2] She swings it back. (2%)​
[Hit 3] She thrusts it out in front of herself while grunting. This attack has a sweet spot at the tip of the rod, and can launch the opponent. (3% normally, 4% sweetspotted)​
Forward Tilt - She does a high kick. (8%)
Up Tilt - Lip waves her free hand above her head, leaving a small trail of fairy dust. (7%)
Down Tilt - She quickly jumps onto her hands and kicks outwards in both directions, then leaps back to her feet. This move has a bit of lag starting up and ending, but its range is good. (8%)
Forward Smash - Lip twirls her flower rod around in her hands and thrusts it out in front, opening it, while grunting. Clean hits as soon as the rod opens. Deals good knockback. (18-25.2% clean, 14-19.6% late)
Up Smash - She thrusts her flower rod into the air and opens it, causing sparkly fairy dust to emerge. The fairy dust does damage as well. Has slight start-up lag. (12-16.8% rod, 4-5.6% dust)
Down Smash - Lip opens her flower rod and sweeps it around the ground in a full circle. Stands a 20% chance of tripping. (14-19.6% front, 10-14% back)
Neutral Aerial - Lip spins about in midair, holding her flower rod out. Weak, but can hit up to three times. (2% each hit, maximum 6%)
Forward Aerial - Lip does a jab with her flower rod. (7%)
Back Aerial - Lip kicks backwards. (10% sweetspotted, 7% otherwise)
Up Aerial - Opens her flower rod and spins it above her head. Unlike her up smash, the dust doesn't hurt the enemy, but the move hits multiple times, up to five. (3% per hit, maximum 15%)
Down Aerial - Lip drill-kicks downwards. This move has considerable landing lag, as Lip enters a split if she hits the ground using it. It hits up to 4 times, with the final hit capable of meteor smashing. (3% per hit, maximum 12%)
Dash Attack - She flails her wand around adorably yelling "Huuuh-ah!", hiting six times. Only the last hit deals knockback. (1% per hit, maximum 6%)
Edge Attack - Lip flips herself backwards up onto the ledge. (5%)
Floor Attack Face-Up - Lip kicks behind her, thrusts her flower rod in front of her, then climbs to her feet. (6%)
Floor Attack Face-Down - She clambers to her feet, sweeping her hand around her to attack. (5%)
Floor Attack Sitting - Lip very quickly spins her wand around herself as she gets up. (6%)
~Throws~
Pummel - Lip grabs the opponent with her free hand and thwacks them with her wand until released. (2% per hit)
Forward Throw - Lip opens her flower rod and swats the enemy away with a familiar sound effect. (7%, plants a flower)
Back Throw - This throw is similar to Lip's forward throw, except she turns around first. Compared to her forward throw, it's slightly stronger, but has less knockback and KO potential. (9%, plants a flower)
Up Throw - Lip tosses the enemy upward and jabs them with her closed flower rod for the launch. (2% toss, 6% jab, 8% total)
Down Throw - Lip slams the enemy to the ground and bounces off of their prone body to launch them. (5% toss, 4% stomp, 9% total)

~Specials~
Neutral Special
[Default] Lip's Stick - Essentially, this is a stronger, chargable version of the Lip's Stick item. Lip opens her flower rod and begins to swing it above her head from side to side for as long as the button is held. When the button is released, she swings her rod out in front of her. How long the button was held down determines how strongly the move hits and how large the flower planted on the enemy's head is. It takes Lip about four seconds to reach maximum charge. Charge is retained if the move is canceled out of in any way, but not if Lip is hit. (8% uncharged, +2% for every two waves, 18% when fully charged at 10th wave, 20% at sweetspot when fully charged; flower is small at waves 1-4, medium at waves 5-9, large when fully charged)​
[Custom 1] Flare's Stick - The attack uses the flame effect instead of planting a flower. It deals more damage, but it takes longer to charge. (10% uncharged, +2 for every two waves, 24% when fully charged at 12th wave, 25% at sweetspot when fully charged)​
[Custom 2] Windy's Stick - The attack charges slightly faster (3.25 seconds instead of 4), but does not​
deal damage. Instead, it creates a pushing wind effect in front of Lip, the power of which varies depending on how long it was charged for. At zero charge, the wind push is negligible. At maximum charge, it pushes an enemy almost half a Final Destination length. (0%)​

Side Special
[Default] Quick Swap - Lip points and makes a "Hup!" noise as Panel de Pon's in-game cursor appears around her with the appropriate sound effect. After a delay of about half a second, Lip and any fighter or other interactable object that happens to be at the opposite end are switched to the other side of the cursor, which disappears. The cursor remains around Lip once summoned until it disappears, and if a fighter or item leaves the cursor's hitbox in any way, it will not be switched. This can be used for horizontal recovery and to thwart edge-guarding attempts, but heavier fighters or items will take more time to switch. (0%)​
[Custom 1] Speed Swap - The cursor is twice its length horizontally, enhancing its mobility and recovery abilities. However, it can only switch Lip -- other fighters and items are unaffected. (0%)​
[Custom 2] Launching Swap - The cursor, now red, does not switch Lip, or anything else for that matter. It simply appears and then vanishes. Anything standing at the opposite side of the cursor, though, takes damage and is launched a short distance. (6%)​

Up Special
[Default] Watabou - A watabou, the round fluffy cotton creature seen on the title screen of Panel de Pon, appears, with its tail in Lip's free hand. It carries her upwards for a certain time, similarly to Duck Jump, until it reaches its apex, where it will explode and deal damage to anyone nearby. Lip falls down helpless afterwards. If it receives around 10% damage, the watabou will explode instantly. (6%)​
[Custom 1] Fairy Duster Watabou - While flying, Lip drops fairy dust that can put small flowers on enemies' heads. As a trade-off, though, the watabou's explosion deals no damage. (0%)​
[Custom 2] Chubby Fluff - The watabou is twice its normal size, rises much slower and lower, and can't cover much horizontal ground at all. However, its explosion is larger and fiery. (12%)​

Down Special
[Default] Garbage Block - Lip swipes her wand in front of her. This deals no damage, but it does cause a long pink garbage block to appear in the air above and in front of her, crashing to the ground after about half a second. As an attack it acts essentially as a slightly weaker version of Kirby's Stone, although the move can meteor smash opponents. However, the garbage blocks this attack creates can also be used as temporary platforms. Up to three garbage blocks can be on-screen at a time, with each one fading away on its own after about five seconds. If a garbage block takes 11% or more damage, it will flash and pop away. Garbage blocks stacked on top of or adjacent to each other will all disappear at once if even one is destroyed. (15%)​
[Custom 1] Crushing Garbage Block - The garbage black has greatly increased start-up lag, up to 1 1/2 seconds, and it will pop immediately upon hitting a solid object, but it deals considerably more damage. The impact buries ground-bound opponents. (20%)​
[Custom 2] Hasty Garbage Block - The garbage blocks drop much quicker, after about 1/4 of a second, and five can be on-screen at once instead of three, but they are half their normal size and give no knockback. Due to their smaller size, they pop out after 9% damage instead of 11%. (5%)​
Final Smash
Panel de Pon (JP)/Puzzle League (Int) - This is similar, but not identical, to the Ice Climbers' Iceberg. A background image of Lip's mother, Cordelia/the Queen, appears as a rainbow overlays the top part of the screen. Lip sticks her flower rod into the air and opens it, shouting "行くぞ!パネルでポン スタート!" ("Here we go! Panel de Pon, start!!") With that, she leaps up onto the rainbow and dashes off, and a large stack of panels rises from the bottom of the screen, remaining on-screen and rising slowly for about 30 seconds. As in Panel de Pon/Puzzle League, the stack is constantly replenished by new panels appearing from below. The size of the stack is proportionate to the size of the stage; larger stages have larger stacks, and so on. Panels remain at a set size, roughly 3/5 of Lip's height.
Instead of controlling Lip, the player controls a cursor for the duration of this Final Smash, using the Left C-Stick or Circle Pad to move the cursor and pressing the neutral attack button to switch two panels. The grab button will raise the stack. As in the Panel de Pon/Puzzle League series, any arrangement of three or more panels will disappear, popping away and slightly damaging any fighters nearby (base 1%, +1% for each additional panel in a combo, +2% for each consecutive chain). The amount of knockback dealt by popping panels varies based on how big the combo or chain was. A default Clear 3 combo has very little knockback, if any at all, whereas a Clear 6 or a x4 Chain will have considerably more launch power and a x10 Chain will rival the Home-Run Bat. The appropriate sound effects and fanfares play throughout the Final Smash. While any amount of damage will pop the panels automatically, the cursor acts as it does in Lip's Side-B and can help to relocate interfering fighters, although it can't leave the horizontal or vertical boundaries of the stack. Dropping a panel onto an enemy's head deals 2% damage with mild knockback.
Every second or so, a varying number of the panels (depending on the size of the stack) on the outer edge of the mountain will flash, an indicator that it is about to activate. A panel is active for about one second and glows brighter while it does so. Any fighter who touches an active panel will suffer an effect relating to its color
  • The red heart panel deals 3% fire damage.
  • The yellow star panel deals 2% electric damage.
  • The green circle panel deals 4% neutral damage and launches.
  • The purple diamond deals 3% darkness damage.
  • The cyan triangle deals 2% damage and freezes.
  • The blue upside-down triangle deals 3% water damage.
  • The gray ! panel deals 2% neutral damage and buries.
If the stack of panels is raised past the top blast line, anyone standing at the very top will be Star KO'd, but the Final Smash will automatically end. Like in the original games, clearing a Combo or Chain when the stack is within two or three panels' worth of the top blast line will cause it to temporarily stop rising as Lip shouts "止まれ!" ("Stop!").
Once the Final Smash timer runs out (unlike in an actual Panel de Pon/Puzzle League game, clearing a Combo or a Chain will not delay the timer) or the top blast line is hit, every panel in the stack will flash and pop simultaneously (4% neutral damage), dealing moderate knockback. A flower drifts gently down to the center of the stage, or near the center if there is a bottomless pit in the middle of the arena, and, once it lands, puffs in a shower of fairy dust to reveal Lip. If the Final Smash ended via time-out, she twirls her flower rod about and poses with it, adding a happy "やったよ!" ("I did it!") If it ended by hitting the upper blast line, she instead slumps in disappointment and sadly says "残念…" ("Too bad...").

~Taunts~
Up Taunt: Lip faces the screen, pumps her fist into the air, and says "yatta!"
Down Taunt: Lip magically produces a flower and smells of it, then sneezes, scattering the petals everywhere. The sneeze has a very small push wind box.
Side Taunt: Lip looks at the back of her skirt and dusts it off.

~Victory Poses~
A: Lip hops up and down three times, saying "Yatta!" on the third leap. She doesn't quite make the landing and trips after her name slides on-screen. She smiles sheepishly at the camera and rubs her bottom throughout the results.
B: Sitting down, Lip creates a large yellow flower underneath herself, which begins to float. On the flower, she twirls her wand in her left hand, throws an open palm outwards with her right, and says "楽しいだったわよ!" ("That was fun!").
C: Lip holds Furifuri the rabbit in her hands and smiles down at him. She spins around with Furifuri and hugs him close, then winks at the camera.

~Costumes~
Text is colored according to that costume's Find Mii color.

Palette 1
- Yellow dress, pink skirt with white fringe, pink ribbon, brown boots, maroon hair, blue eyes.
Palette 2 (Windy) - Green dress, light green skirt with sky blue fringe, sky blue ribbon, brown boots, magenta hair, green eyes.
Palette 3 (Sherbet) - Cyan dress, blue skirt with white fringe, pink ribbon, cyan boots, blue hair, blue eyes.
Palette 4 (Thiana) - Green dress, pale green skirt, orange ribbon, brown boots, dark brown hair, green eyes.
Palette 5 (Ruby) - Purple dress, light purple skirt with pink fringe, yellow ribbon, dark purple boots, dark green hair, blue eyes.
Palette 6 (Elias) - White dress, light gray skirt with white fringe, purple ribbon, white boots, blue hair, blue eyes.
Palette 7 (Flare) - Magenta dress, pink skirt with green fringe, light purple ribbon, red boots, red hair, blue
eyes.
Palette 8 (Seren) - White dress, white skirt with light blue fringe, pink ribbon, light blue boots, blonde hair, blue eyes.

~Poses~
Intro - She runs down off a rainbow, opens her flower rod, and sticks it into the air while saying "Iku zo!"
Standing - She rocks from side to side, swaying her hands back and forth.
Walking - Lip skips a little while walking, similar to Peach.
Running - She leans forward a little while running, always holding her (closed) flower rod in front of herself (this is how she ran on the map screen in Panel de Pon).
Idle Pose 1 - Lip twirls her flower rod in her hand and smiles open-mouthed.
Idle Pose 2 - Lip strokes her ponytail.
Sleeping - She falls to the ground in the fetal position and starts napping.
Dizzy - Lip stumbles around as her eyes spin around cartoonishly.
Clapping - Claps politely with a big smile on her face.

~Other Tidbits~
Victory Theme - A fanfare remixed from the stage clear theme in Panel de Pon.
Kirby Hat - Lip's hair, ribbon, and ponytail.
Tripping Sound - Cartoon
Smash Charge Sound - Heavy
Cheer - "Li-p-chan!" (JP) / "Lip! Lip! Let 'er rip!" (Int)
"Congratulations!" Text - Sans-serif
Icon - A heart panel

~Trophies~
-Lip-

Fighter
[Description: Identical to her official render.]
The optimistic little fairy princess of Popplis from Panel de Pon, released elsewhere as Tetris Attack. Lip may be very cute (or should that be FAIRY cute? ...we'll show ourselves out), but don't let that fool you -- in Smash Bros., her sweet-smelling flower magic packs a punch! Weaker versions of her signature Lip's Stick can still be used by other fighters, of course.
[SNES] Panel de Pon (1995 - Japan)
[Wii] Captain Rainbow (2008 - Japan)

-Lip (Alt.)-
Fighter
[3DS Description: Lip in her Windy alternate costume using her up taunt with a garbage block behind her.]
[Wii U Description: Lip in her Flare alternate costume using her Lip's Stick special move.]
Veteran Smash players will recognize Lip's Stick as a stronger version of the item. Hold down B to charge, then let it go to show the other fighters your green thumb! Lip's Garbage Blocks pack a punch, but they can also be used as platforms by you and your enemies! Just don't let them break...
[SNES] Panel de Pon (1995 - Japan)
[Wii] Captain Rainbow (2008 - Japan)

-Panel de Pon-
Final Smash
[Description: Lip runs across a rainbow at the top of the screen while Charizard, Ness, and Bowser climb up the panel stack below. Ness is being hit by an activated red panel.]
Hope you've been brushing up on your Puzzle League skills... In Lip's Final Smash, you've got 30 seconds to rack up as many combos and chains as you can and send your foes flying! Sometimes, a panel will flash and let loose an effect based on its color. Let those panels hit the top of the screen, though, and it's Game -- or should that be Final Smash? -- Over!
I don't see how she's THAT hard or not unique to make when she has plenty of moveset potential

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I would recommend that you take the time to read it because Lip is an unique character that Sakurai haven't tapped on yet. Add to the fact that she can make a great retro character out of nowhere

I don't see how she's THAT hard or not unique to make when she has plenty of moveset potential
How does this suddenly make her able to pass the hurdle Sakurai stated Takamaru couldn't? This is the core argument and no amount of "Oh but she'd be unique" or "Or that guy would be fun!" can ignore it.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Honestly, Inklings were the only real character who pretty much everyone assumed would agree would be in the game.

I think that's part of the fun with this Smash, is that we legit have no idea what sort of characters will make it in this time. The closest we have now is a Gen 7 Pokemon, and even then, we can't decide on which would make it in.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Honestly, Inklings were the only real character who pretty much everyone assumed would agree would be in the game.

I think that's part of the fun with this Smash, is that we legit have no idea what sort of characters will make it in this time. The closest we have now is a Gen 7 Pokemon, and even then, we can't decide on which would make it in.
I think the most "easy" roster to guess for Smash was Brawl tbh. Smash 4 had an half-guess half-surprise roster.
Full Surprise DLC for 4
But Smash 5?
It's going to be full of surprise

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It doesn't really matter if it's a sword or not as it is still magical and so attacks with it should still also fall under using magical attacks.
A sword that targets resistance over defense is still a sword and not magic. My argument is that Robin only uses spells in his four specials, jab, final smash, and throws. Everything else uses a physical implement. Celica's moveset would likely have a much higher concentration of magical attacks, and much lower usage of the Beloved Zofia.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Can we make Mario feel more happy for the next smash game?
aa6.jpg
I'm starting to feel that he is gonna murder us all.

osby

Smash Obsessed
A sword that targets resistance over defense is still a sword and not magic. My argument is that Robin only uses spells in his four specials, jab, final smash, and throws. Everything else uses a physical implement. Celica's moveset would likely have a much higher concentration of magical attacks, and much lower usage of the Beloved Zofia.
Magic is kinda an undefined concept. If she's going to use magic more, it probably means she'll have sparkly, disjointed aerials or smashes, which is really isn't much different from Zelda and Lucas.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Time for another survey question: what little quirks do you want any specific characters to have in the event that they make it into the game?
If Bandana Waddle Dee gets in, I honestly hope that he has vocalizations using that cute "manya manya" voice that the other Waddle Dees had in the anime and Battle Royale. It's just... it's just so cute, and it fits a cute character.

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman

Exactly. The last game hit it out of the park with newcomers, so we really have no idea what will happen this time(besides Inklings, of course).

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Can we make Mario feel more happy for the next smash game?
I'm starting to feel that he is gonna murder us all.
Wow, I guess I should stop supporting Dark Matter then, they're already in Smash since they're possessing Mario and Dark Matter's control over him gets stronger each game, that's the only reasonable explanation for Mario being so unhappy.
Watch as that becomes a actual GameTheory video backed up by nothing but baseless claims and people actually start believing it.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
How does this suddenly make her able to pass the hurdle Sakurai stated Takamaru couldn't? This is the core argument and no amount of "Oh but she'd be unique" or "Or that guy would be fun!" can ignore it.
Now how do YOU know Takamaru is a better choice? Both deserve to be in Smash in their own rights.

Lip's moveset would be solely based on her flower and puzzle attacks which haven't been done in the series before minus a one hit move from characters like Peach, Kirby, etc. We haven't have a puzzle-based character in Smash yet and the idea of Lip being a surprise character can show that she has a reputation in the Smash series after being ignored for 3 games with just getting her flower in the game.

Like I said before, Marth and Roy appearing in Smash and that introduced the world to Fire Emblem, a Japan only series prior to Melee. There's nothing wrong with introducing eastern-known characters to the world to show that there are other series than just the big names that we see. While Panel de Pon lesser known, Smash can help revive her series, the same for Takamaru's series.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The fact that, with Inklings announced already, we have no solid predictions for who could make the cut makes speculation so much more interesting.

It's all "possibilities" from here on out.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Wow, I guess I should stop supporting Dark Matter then, they're already in Smash since they're possessing Mario and Dark Matter's control over him gets stronger each game, that's the only reasonable explanation for Mario being so unhappy.
Watch as that becomes a actual GameTheory video backed up by nothing but baseless claims and people actually start believing it.
Mario new final smash: his chest opens to reveal an eye that shoots dark balls of energy.
fdaf0e1278206f736ecde49428461af8b1d1f679_00.jpg

osby

Smash Obsessed
Now how do YOU know Takamaru is a better choice? Both deserve to be in Smash in their own rights.

Lip's moveset would be solely based on her flower and puzzle attacks which haven't been done in the series before minus a one hit move from characters like Peach, Kirby, etc. We haven't have a puzzle-based character in Smash yet and the idea of Lip being a surprise character can show that she has a reputation in the Smash series after being ignored for 3 games with just getting her flower in the game.

Like I said before, Marth and Roy appearing in Smash and that introduced the world to Fire Emblem, a Japan only series prior to Melee. There's nothing wrong with introducing eastern-known characters to the world to show that there are other series than just the big names that we see. While Panel de Pon lesser known, Smash can help revive her series, the same for Takamaru's series.
I like Lip and would like to see her but I don't know how you can make a puzzle based moveset.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I didn't mean to imply that but we know Takamaru was at least considered and got an Assist Trophy as a consolation prize.
Fire Emblem was pretty big in Japan then, not to mention MELEE IS LITERALLY OVER A DECADE OLD AND SAKURAI'S TAKAMARU STATEMENT IS ONLY 4 YEARS OLD IT SHOULD BE OBVIOUS WHICH ONE COUNTS MORE

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Magic is kinda an undefined concept. If she's going to use magic more, it probably means she'll have sparkly, disjointed aerials or smashes, which is really isn't much different from Zelda and Lucas.
It should probably be noted that magic is a hitbox effect and type, so an attack would not count as magic, unless its effect or type is sorted under such a category.

For an example, Zelda's f-air would only be classified as a magic attack if you land the sweetspot.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Sakurai's been trying way to hard to turn Mario into the Ryu of Smash. Just make him smile again, especially after Odyssey made him more expressive...
Maybe Mario is Sakurai's representation of how he is getting more and more tired of smash and people complaining about characters... and specially of people saying that they want goku in smash.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Time for another survey question: what little quirks do you want any specific characters to have in the event that they make it into the game?
If Bandana Waddle Dee gets in, I honestly hope that he has vocalizations using that cute "manya manya" voice that the other Waddle Dees had in the anime and Battle Royale. It's just... it's just so cute, and it fits a cute character.
If Porky ends up being in the game, I want his voice to sound just like Eric Cartman's voice.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I like Lip and would like to see her but I don't know how you can make a puzzle based moveset.
If Sakurai can make Captain Falco, Fox, Falco, Wolf, WFT, etc some original moveset, I'm sure he can find something to fit Lip's character

I didn't mean to imply that but we know Takamaru was at least considered and got an Assist Trophy as a consolation prize.
Fire Emblem was pretty big in Japan then, not to mention MELEE IS LITERALLY OVER A DECADE OLD AND SAKURAI'S TAKAMARU STATEMENT IS ONLY 4 YEARS OLD IT SHOULD BE OBVIOUS WHICH ONE COUNTS MORE
image.png

Bruh, no need to get your Jimmies rustled

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Maybe Mario is Sakurai's representation of how he is getting more and more tired of smash and people complaining about characters... and specially of people saying that they want goku in smash.
That's a bad sign then.
Super-Smash-Bros-Switch-Mario.jpg

As you can see here, this is clearly someone who wants to burn down the community and destroy everything we love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom