• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
when have sales ever stopped a character getting in? Sakurai's not gonna look at the last generation games and skip on Zero and thus wolf because it flopped, especially since the majority of games on the wii u flopped
SF0 is one of the worst selling first party titles on the Wii U. It flopped so bad that I doubt that there will ever be a new Star Fox game again,
Star Fox Zero sales won't matter to Wolf's chance one way or another as he's a veteran.
Veterans aren't automatically guaranteed to come back.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
People were just put off by SF0's use of motion controls. It didn't get great sales as a result.
...and? Lots of Wii U's games flopped so what's your point on the sales?

If that's the case, then I suppose that Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, DK, Wario, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Pikachu, Mewtwo, Charizard, Lucario, Inklings, Diddy Kong, Fox, Falco, and basically everyone else should be cut from the new Smash Game because the Wii U was a flop

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Chances are, most of the fighters you've mentioned probably won't make the cut. If the roster truly was finalized in 2016, then the popularity that Mimikyu and Dusk Form Lycanroc have received will most likely be irrelevant.
I actually agree 1000%. I still don't think it's gonna stop the meltdowns when people don't see what they want, but do see whatever clones we get.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
SF0 is one of the worst selling first party titles on the Wii U. It flopped so bad that I doubt that there will ever be a new Star Fox game again,
Bad games can still have their contents being used in some way though. Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 was a disaster, and yet Brawl still referenced the game with one of its BGM tracks, the Silver trophy, and Sonic's victory BGM originated from that game as well.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Veterans aren't automatically guaranteed to come back.
Literally irrelevant, Metroid other M also sold poorly and was hated by fans, yet we got hella content from and and the Samus' still got their designs updated to match it. Poor sales or not as the latest instalment of the star fox franchise it's likely the majority of the new star fox content will be based on that game. Smash is used to represent the last generation of consoles and the games it offers, which includes star fox zero, regardless of commercial success

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Bad games can still have their contents being used in some way though. Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 was a disaster, and yet Brawl still referenced the game with one of its BGM tracks, the Silver trophy, and Sonic's victory BGM originated from that game as well.
Ehhhhh Sonic's addition was rushed as hell so I don't know if that's an accurate comparison. The Sticker Star stage in 3DS would be a better comparison I feel even though that game sold pretty well despite fan reception. Also Smash 4 was FILLED with Other M content and the only decent character that came out of that mess didn't even get a goddamn trophy

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Chances are, most of the fighters you've mentioned probably won't make the cut. If the roster truly was finalized in 2016, then the popularity that Mimikyu and Dusk Form Lycanroc have received will most likely be irrelevant.
With Gen VII Pokémon, I don't think it's the popularity that matters. Mimikyu and Dusk Lycanroc might not have had their popularity back then, but Game Freak definitely had an idea of which Pokémon they'd be pushing forward.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

If that's the case, then I suppose that Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, DK, Wario, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Pikachu, Mewtwo, Charizard, Lucario, Inklings, Diddy Kong, Fox, Falco, and basically everyone else should be cut from the new Smash Game because the Wii U was a flop
Besides the Inklings, everyone else got to have games on the 3DS, so they’re saved
WFT=original moveset
Her entire moveset is based on yoga moves, not sure if that counts as original or not
Mario must not be over the ending of Odyssey

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Console sales are different from game sales.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
The Mother series also didn't sell all too well(especially Mother 2 in the west), but those games still get a bunch of content. Good thing too, since the games are great.

But yeah, a game doing poorly doesn't really have much influence on whether or not it'll be represented in Smash.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Namco Bandai is not developing this game
That was never confirmed, in fact there are rumors that suggests they are. A confirmed ex-Bandi Namco worker and current Nintendo worker basically said Namco was developing the game on his Twitter, and his whole Twitter profile was deleted shortly after.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So out of all the major front runners in the race to get into smash, which do you think are going to get skipped over? It happens every smash season, and people never seem to be prepared for it.

I'm referring to characters like mimikyu, rex/pyra/elma, decidueye, Isabelle, etc.
I'm still not behind the idea of Mimikyu as a front runner to be a playable character, it simply has too much competition in other gen VII Pokemon with more impressive resumes such as Rowlet, Decidueye, and especially Lycanroc.

That being said, Mimikyu will appear in this game somehow due to its popularity. It probably won't be a playable character, but its an obvious Pokeball Pokemon or it could even be a stage hazard.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ehhhhh Sonic's addition was rushed as hell so I don't know if that's an accurate comparison. The Sticker Star stage in 3DS would be a better comparison I feel even though that game sold pretty well despite fan reception. Also Smash 4 was FILLED with Other M content and the only decent character that came out of that mess didn't even get a goddamn trophy
The cool black guy?

Smash represent last gen of consoles games, includes star fox
And we all know how well that was for Fox

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
My best guess of which ones are real and fake on the imugar leak (opinion OFCOARSE) based on the masked man didn't clarify which ones are deconfirmed

Real
Ice climbers
Chorus kids (based on possible planned from the gemusatu leak)
Takamaru
Dixie kong
Wolf
Ridley (only if vergeben is correct)
King k rool (probably switch version of sonic in brawl and megaman in smash bros 4)
Simon (again if vergeben is right)
Snake (vergeben for the third time)

If vergeben is wrong we can easily remove these 3 from the real list

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The cool black guy?

And we all know how well that was for Fox
Yeah, Anthony Higgs, who's only liked for not being terrible I think
My dumb brain read this as "Lyn isn't relevant even in the one country she's been in" and I'm surprised how accurate it still is.
Saccae more like No Way hahaaaaaaaa funny meme

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
With Gen VII Pokémon, I don't think it's the popularity that matters. Mimikyu and Dusk Lycanroc might not have had their popularity back then, but Game Freak definitely had an idea of which Pokémon they'd be pushing forward.
At this point though, there really isn't a single 7th generation Pokemon who's the most worthy of being playable. On my end, I'm not expecting Buzzwole to make the cut, but it doesn't hurt to think about what it could do if it was ever considered.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
As far as Gen VII Pokemon goes, I don't really care who gets added as long as they're fun to play as. There's tons of ways you could make a lot of them work. My top pick would probably be Mimikyu or one of the Ultra Beasts, but I'd be alright with any of them.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah, Anthony Higgs, who's only liked for not being terrible I think

Saccae more like No Way hahaaaaaaaa funny meme
If Ridley can’t get in once more, I’d accept Anthony being playable in Smash

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Besides the Inklings, everyone else got to have games on the 3DS, so they’re saved
...you're really not helping my argument here when I'm talking about the Wii U, NOT the 3DS

Console sales are different from game sales.
You're talking about how bad one ****ing Wii U game is. One. Game. Might as well just delete the whole series if it's flopped that badly. Just because ONE game flopped doesn't mean StarFox won't get their deserved third rep back into the game. It's about the fan demands plus how Sakurai and his team's character priority. With DLC now, Wolf has a better chance this time around.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Can we stop with this stupid "Lycanroc and it's poorly executed gimmick is likely to be playable" meme? Please? I'll buy cookies for the entire thread
I'm inclined to agree actually. It's design is bland, and it was reacted to negatively by the Pokemon community upon its first reveal. And I don't think it would bring anything interesting to Smash other than Stealth Rock, though that function can be translated easily to another character's moveset. Other than being blatantly shilled by Gamefreak, Lycanroc doesn't have anything going for him.

?????????????

Smash Master
Honestly I kinda want NO Gen 7 Pokemon just to see the absolute ****storm
I kinda wonder about this. The situation is different; when Brawl and 4 released, D/P and XY were very new. But this time...S/M has already been out for a while.

Maybe they'll prioritize general fan-favorites instead, regardless of gen?

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
honestly i don't see why people think we need a gen 7 rep anyways, just because it's the newest doesn't mean we need it in smash

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I can't wait for fan favorite Weedle to be a playable character in Smash 5.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
honestly i don't see why people think we need a gen 7 rep anyways, just because it's the newest doesn't mean we need it in smash
Smash has generally always been about representing the latest games, there's not much reason to think we wouldn't see the latest game in the pokemon franchise represented

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
We didn't "need" a Gen 6 Pokemon since Mewtwo was the poster boy of that generation and yet a slot was still reserved for one in 2012. Why wouldn't we get a Generation 7 newcomer Pokemon? If anything, we're more likely to get no Xenoblade newcomer than no Gen 7 Pokemon.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
...you're really not helping my argument here when I'm talking about the Wii U, NOT the 3DS

You're talking about how bad one ****ing Wii U game is. One. Game. Might as well just delete the whole series if it's flopped that badly. Just because ONE game flopped doesn't mean StarFox won't get their deserved third rep back into the game. It's about the fan demands plus how Sakurai and his team's character priority. With DLC now, Wolf has a better chance this time around.
I know I wasn’t helping, but I decided to say that part anyways

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Smash has generally always been about representing the latest games, there's not much reason to think we wouldn't see the latest game in the pokemon franchise represented
It doesn't have to be with a character, though. It could be through a stage. Or even a palette swap for Pikachu where he has Alolan Raichu's colors. Or trophies, assist trophies, etc. Maybe an Ash Greninja alt for Greninja or in his FS he turns into Ash Greninja then it proceeds normally.

I just don't get why people are certain that SuMo are getting a character in Smash. If every new game was getting a new character then this roster would be twice the size.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Can we stop with this stupid "Lycanroc and it's poorly executed gimmick is likely to be playable" meme? Please? I'll buy cookies for the entire thread
OK, this is a bit of a rant from me, but why is it that whenever a topic of a popular character is brought up, there's always this 'lol, meme' comment brought up?

I've seen people do this to many characters like Decidueye, Elma, King K. Rool, Steve, Celica, you name it, and it's no less as ridiculous as it is with them as it is with the majority of other characters. People bring up those characters because they like those characters and/or think they're worth consideration, it's not because of some silly internet bandwagon, it's because people want to talk about those characters and would enjoy seeing them in the game. Lycanroc is an example of that, it's a popular character in its respective franchise that people do enjoy and think would be fun to play due to it being a (were)wolf with Rock and Ground based abilities. Nothing about that is just talking about it for the memes, they're talking about it because it's something worthwhile to bring up for discussion. Saying 'lol, they're just a meme' is being completely dismissive of the conversation and why people like those characters and why they are considered, and unless you have something to say for why you don't think they're worthwhile characters, then don't spout easy-bake phrases just because you disagree with them.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Good thing Lyn is relevant overall
Oh yeah I'm not saying she isn't relevant, just that her role in her own game is minimal and cutting her off the game would change little, plus she's prequel only, which means disappearing before the big event.
Main reason why I want a FE 7+6 remake that does her justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom