• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I miss Pokemon Trainer because he brought 3 unique fighters to the table. We were lucky enough to keep one of them, but unfortunately, Squirtle and Ivysaur were cut. I don't care what Gen they're from or any other Pokemon for that matter. They had fun and interesting movesets that I'd love to see brought back.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
This is how I feel about Zard, Ivy, and Squirtle returning; we don't need Gen 1 to make up 80% of the Poke reps. I would much rather spread out the reps to different gens.
I think that since those three were already unique veterans that they should stay in as they already have their move sets and their fans. Plus Gen 1 is the most iconic gen and the most recognizable so I'm not surprised it's the one with the most characters, even if it was just because of one character (Pokémon Trainer).

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
I had this horrible nightmare: at E3 Smash only got a teaser trailer where only the main character are shown (Mario, DK, Peach, Marth...) and nothing else.
Then, in the turnament, only those character are in the demo and we are left in the dark about newcomers and cuts for 4 more months...

...yes, I'm going insane waiting.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
A ready-for-battle pokemon trainer or a Mii set of custom moves can showcase the phenomenon of Pokemon Go.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
that'd go to Greninja, the most popular starter of the generation who got his own equivalent of a mega form, heavy exposure in the anime, and even won a distribution poll in Japan where people voted for the Pokémon they wanted.
None of those factors mattered in 2012-2013 as Greninja was chosen long before he even had a major appearance in the anime, making his debut around 2015 and Ash Greninja also only happened long after Greninja was confirmed for Smash 4. He only really got special treatment in terms of promotion after his reveal trailer in 2014, which up until then he barely got any promotion compared to Mewtwo, Lucario, Charizard and even Sylveon. There is a reason why Greninja caught people off-guard and that's because people here assumed we'd get the Brawl Pokemon plus Mewtwo to cover Gen 6 as X and Y gave all of them some love (with some thinking Sylveon or a Kalos Pokemon may happen).

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
People have called Elma a meme?
Admittedly it's rarer then the other characters, but I have seen it brought up and used against her.

In Lycanroc's case is because I never saw any popularity for it outside of Del and the Smash bandwagon alongside the fact it's gimmick was handled ****ing horrendously. It's a boring looking Pokemon, it's gimmick can't be made accurate in Smash, it's gimmick was done poorly in SM, it got a third form which you can only get through an event because Game Freak is filled with **** flinging monkeys sometimes and the only real reason it got any hype was because of the misinterpretted "Rockruff and the starters share a secret" thing
Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If we're speaking acendotally I've seen a lot of people show love for one of or all of the Lycanroc forms across multiple sites, and ignoring that it did do well on the Nintendo Dream poll, placing in the Top 5. So it does have a strong fanbase behind it and many fans that do enjoy it as a Pokemon. As for the rest, that's generally down to personal preference, and while I understand you don't care for it and why, it doesn't change the fact that others do and it (and other characters) shouldn't be written off as a 'meme' because you disagree with them.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Admittedly it's rarer then the other characters, but I have seen it brought up and used against her.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If we're speaking acendotally I've seen a lot of people show love for one of or all of the Lycanroc forms across multiple sites, and ignoring that it did do well on the Nintendo Dream poll, placing in the Top 5. So it does have a strong fanbase behind it and many fans that do enjoy it as a Pokemon. As for the rest, that's generally down to personal preference, and while I understand you don't care for it and why, it doesn't change the fact that others do and it (and other characters) shouldn't be written off as a 'meme' because you disagree with them.
Ok but the only reason it seems to be popular is because Ash has one because Game Freak needed to push the horrible gimmick even further but it doesn't matter as long as Ash has one, then everyone will like it

Zeox

Smash Champion
Pokemon trainer comes back but this time he fights with his own fists until you are weak, then he puts you in a pokeball and throws it from the stage.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
That's fine, I was just talking about Smashboards in general, since sometimes people get really emotional and argue back and forth.

Either way, I think Lycanroc (any form) has a decent shot, but there is still alot of possibilities from Gen 7.
Are you sure you're not talking about the Smash Bros. fanbase as a whole? Because I've seen some flame wars online with pretty ugly results. Just go onto any Sm4sh-related video on YouTube and look into the comments, you'll see what I mean.
And yeah, Lycanroc is definitely viable, but it has some fierce competition from fellow Alolans; all three starters, Mimikyu, Tapu Koko, and... heck, let's just plop 'em all on there.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Honestly i think Mimikyu have more potential than other gen 7 pokemons, is the perfect mix between cute and spooky.
but that's more a personal opinion than a reason for him to be in smash over other pokemons.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah, Anthony Higgs, who's only liked for not being terrible I think
Anthony is genuinely liked.

Heś a charming and nice guy who brings a lot of personality to the series. Helps that heś Samus´'only living friend,

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I saw Greninja popularity since the thing leaked. Plus it has Smash and we all know Smash helps staying power a LOT, it's why Lucario managed to keep the popularity and why Zoroark failed to replicate Lucario's popularity
Zoroark's design is also generally less appealing, it got a whole movie and no one really cared which is kinda depressing. It's a shame cause Zorua is so cute why'd it's evolution have to look like that

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Zoroark's design is also generally less appealing, it got a whole movie and no one really cared which is kinda depressing. It's a shame cause Zorua is so cute why'd it's evolution have to look like that
Agreed. The face of Zoroark is so weird to me, especially after what Zorua looked like. Personally I was also not a fan of the Imposter ability. Could've maybe been interesting in Smash, but idk. I wish it retained the Fox look when it evolved, maybe I'd get over the ability.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Honestly i think Mimikyu have more potential than other gen 7 pokemons, is the perfect mix between cute and spooky.
but that's more a personal opinion than a reason for him to be in smash over other pokemons.
I feel that Mimikyu's position would probably be better as a Poke Ball Pokemon, or a Smash Run enemy.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Personally I just like Decidueye's archer theme, they would make the perfect smash character in my opinion and their design is one of the most solid of all the gen 7 pokemon, although popplio was my starter and I love primarina and slightly prefer it decidueye's design is just so nice imo. Plus there's a huge grass shaped hole in our pokemon lineup which bugs the **** outta me, it's one of the main 3 types for crying out loud lol

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Agreed. The face of Zoroark is so weird to me, especially after what Zorua looked like. Personally I was also not a fan of the Imposter ability. Could've maybe been interesting in Smash, but idk. I wish it retained the Fox look when it evolved, maybe I'd get over the ability.
Yeah, it's got a weird head, the proportions all look off, the giant mane looks wrong and the claw hands and feet are strange. The only thing that slightly saves it is it's colour scheme which looks pretty nice imo. The elements of a good design are all there it's just very strangely put together

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I for one like Zoroark. You know what, screw Gen 7, Zoroark or Meowth for Smash5. Fight me!

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I actually prefer Zoroark's design to Lucadio. And in defense of Zoroark's face, it's probably meant to emulate those Japanese fox masks. Like, that's one reason Zoroark has those red dots near the end of each mouth line.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
So how are you all preparing for the 12th.
As for me i will be at work so ill be streaming/listening/looking while working.
Working, unfortunately...Will try my best to stay off the internet until I get home so I can enjoy (or cry) at everything in the comfort of my home.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
I tell myself to stay off these SmashBoards till after June 12 after 12pm but I can't stop coming here. :eek::eek:
Me too my friend. I have no idea why either. I think part of it is the speculating/discussion with other Smash fans is one of my favorite parts of Smash. Part of me loves discussing potential 'leaks' and that with everybody, and the other part doesn't want to know anything.

It's a constant battle.

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
Literally irrelevant, Metroid other M also sold poorly and was hated by fans, yet we got hella content from and and the Samus' still got their designs updated to match it. Poor sales or not as the latest instalment of the star fox franchise it's likely the majority of the new star fox content will be based on that game. Smash is used to represent the last generation of consoles and the games it offers, which includes star fox zero, regardless of commercial success
Completely unrelated to what you're saying but all the Other M content in Sm4sh was the worst part of the game imo

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Alright so the real leak fun begins tomorrow as that's when Nintendo's E3 marketing material arrives at the Staples Center. So be wary if you don't want to get spoiled.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The only way I could see a Smash Switch without a Gen 7 'mon is if Sakurai doesn't see anything in any of the potential Pokemon, which I think is extremely unlikely given the diversity of Alola's cast. Sun/Moon and Star Fox Zero were basically the only major Nintendo games to release in 2016, the year the roster was decided, so those two would have been the games that everyone was discussing during the creation of the roster. It's similar to Kid Icarus Uprising and Fire Emblem Awakening being the major games around the time of Smash for's project plan (mid 2012) and thusly getting a large amount of content in Smash.
Helped Kid Icarus in the long run since Sakurai made the last game, and then brought a huge chunk of it to both versions of the game...and oof to the Star Fox part (I need more manly voices)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Completely unrelated to what you're saying but all the Other M content in Sm4sh was the worst part of the game imo
I dunno.

They picked some pretty good stuff from that game.

Notice Adam is completely gone outside of a trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom