• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
We didn't "need" a Gen 6 Pokemon since Mewtwo was the poster boy of that generation and yet a slot was still reserved for one in 2012. Why wouldn't we get a Generation 7 newcomer Pokemon? If anything, we're more likely to get no Xenoblade newcomer than no Gen 7 Pokemon.
We don't need Smash in the first place, so I guess need wasn't the right word. I guess I meant I don't see why people think a G7 rep is obligatory?

Like yeah we don't "need" this and we don't "need" that, but with XY it was Pokemon's jump to the 3DS which was a major gamechanger (no pun intended LOL) and it did a lot for the series such as all 3D graphics, introducing Mega Evolutions (which were given to Charizard, Lucario, and Mewtwo), XY and Gen 6 were just a huge milestone hit. Also if Pokemon hadn't gotten a new character then its latest would have been from Diamond/Pearl, in 2006. Smash released in 2014. So essentially a whole decade of Pokemon wouldn't be in Smash. edit: granted gen 6 would still have charizard's, mewtwo's and lucario's megas still in the game, but the point still stands.

With SuMo? Nothing's really changed. Yeah there's Z moves, Alola forms, etc. but XY was a huge mark. SuMo just followed it. If a character gets in from SuMo it'd just be because it's the hottest new thing. But what about all the other hottest new things that didn't get a character? With the amount of Pokemon characters we already have, 6, I find it unlikely that we'll get another from SuMo just because it's new.

also I don't recall Mewtwo being the poster boy of that generation and I'd really like some context for that, but that's just me and my memory sucks lol

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'd love to see how people are going to react if we get Elma instead.
This and Mimikyu or a Gen7 Pokemon instead of Decidueye.
Those two are unironically my sadistic pleasure and what I can't wait to see if it happens.
It's mean, but it would teach people that in this Smash, everyone is fair game

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Oh yeah I'm not saying she isn't relevant, just that her role in her own game is minimal and cutting her off the game would change little, plus she's prequel only, which means disappearing before the big event.
Main reason why I want a FE 7+6 remake that does her justice.
Being in a minimum role while being one of the most popular FE characters and not having to get sick like Eliwood or die like any of his wives...seems like a fair deal to me

A remake of those two games would be great, but a new game that continues her adventures (or be playable in Smash) would be even better...also more Lyn variations in FEH (not enough)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I would think that Smash fans have gotten to a point where how fun and functional a moveset is matters more than the character itself.

But I have been wrong before, so...
Well of course the character matters more than the moveset to people since the whole appeal of a crossover like this revolves around established characters. The MvC "function" meme is so common due to the fact it's the logical conclusion to only caring about gameplay and moveset and not about who the character embodying them is.

I mean, there is a reason why the original fighters from the Dragon King prototype were replaced with Nintendo characters.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
View attachment 146900

I LOVE it! Ultimate heel turn confirmed :troll:
The only reason I'm not a heel is because the heels I'm gonna buy soon haven't arrived yet lmao
OK, this is a bit of a rant from me, but why is it that whenever a topic of a popular character is brought up, there's always this 'lol, meme' comment brought up?

I've seen people do this to many characters like Decidueye, Elma, King K. Rool, Steve, Celica, you name it, and it's no less as ridiculous as it is with them as it is with the majority of other characters. People bring up those characters because they like those characters and/or think they're worth consideration, it's not because of some silly internet bandwagon, it's because people want to talk about those characters and would enjoy seeing them in the game. Lycanroc is an example of that, it's a popular character in its respective franchise that people do enjoy and think would be fun to play due to it being a (were)wolf with Rock and Ground based abilities. Nothing about that is just talking about it for the memes, they're talking about it because it's something worthwhile to bring up for discussion. Saying 'lol, they're just a meme' is being completely dismissive of the conversation and why people like those characters and why they are considered, and unless you have something to say for why you don't think they're worthwhile characters, then don't spout easy-bake phrases just because you disagree with them.
In Lycanroc's case is because I never saw any popularity for it outside of Del and the Smash bandwagon alongside the fact it's gimmick was handled ****ing horrendously. It's a boring looking Pokemon, it's gimmick can't be made accurate in Smash, it's gimmick was done poorly in SM, it got a third form which you can only get through an event because Game Freak is filled with **** flinging monkeys sometimes and the only real reason it got any hype was because of the misinterpretted "Rockruff and the starters share a secret" thing

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
We don't need Smash in the first place, so I guess need wasn't the right word. I guess I meant I don't see why people think a G7 rep is obligatory?

Like yeah we don't "need" this and we don't "need" that, but with XY it was Pokemon's jump to the 3DS which was a major gamechanger (no pun intended LOL) and it did a lot for the series such as all 3D graphics, introducing Mega Evolutions (which were given to Charizard, Lucario, and Mewtwo), XY and Gen 6 were just a huge milestone hit. Also if Pokemon hadn't gotten a new character then its latest would have been from Diamond/Pearl, in 2006. Smash released in 2014. So essentially a whole decade of Pokemon wouldn't be in Smash.

With SuMo? Nothing's really changed. Yeah there's Z moves, Alola forms, etc. but XY was a huge mark. SuMo just followed it. If a character gets in from SuMo it'd just be because it's the hottest new thing. But what about all the other hottest new things that didn't get a character? With the amount of Pokemon characters we already have, 6, I find it unlikely that we'll get another from SuMo just because it's new.

also I don't recall Mewtwo being the poster boy of that generation and I'd really like some context for that, but that's just me and my memory sucks lol
People only expect a new Pokemon to join the roster because they're new.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Are people that possitive that something from E3 regarding Nintendo or Smash will leak? With how seemingly secretive and careful they're being this time I highly doubt it, but maybe I'm just trusting them too much lmao.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Are people that possitive that something from E3 regarding Nintendo or Smash will leak? With how seemingly secretive and careful they're being this time I highly doubt it, but maybe I'm just trusting them too much lmao.
Better be ready than Sorry when the bomb drop.

Troykv

Smash Master
I would think that Smash fans have gotten to a point where how fun and functional a moveset is matters more than the character itself.

But I have been wrong before, so...
I don't think Dixie Kong would create a interesting moveset, but people want her regardless.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
To be completely honest, I'd like to see how Celica's popularity would hold up if she was relevant in the first FEH poll.

My bet is that she would have been third, since she won the 2nd poll in the females group, which excluded Lyn and Lucina.
It excluded Lyn, and Lucina? Interesting I didn't know that. That could, could possibly mean that Lyn and Celica could both make it in Smash considering how both of them have a sort of contrast to each other with their different style of fighting, blinding speed Iaido and swordplay with magic

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I'd be very surprise if Pokemon gets no newcomer at all. But indeed, it's possible that they hold back the idea to release a Gen VIII as a DLC instead of a already old one. While I like Mimikyu a lot, I don't know if I see he being a great character in Smash, he just looks like a perfect Pokéball Pokemon.
That being said, I have absolute confidence that they can make him work.
My main problem is that Decidueye just looks too much fun. I mean, he can fly, shot arrows, carries a dark presence ... is a like a Dark Pit with a actual moveset. While I never played any core game of the series, Decidueye is the type of character that don't matter what seasons have obvious moveset potential.I also think that Sakurai probably would pick him instead of the others starters this time. So I'm kinda of expecting ecidueye and even happy with it.

Buuuut... if no new Pokemon end up happening at all. it's like... good. I just want them to not waste Decidueye opportunity and chose a bad Gen VIII character.
IMO Pokemons are fun characters in Smash (with Lucario beiing the unique boring one).

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I would be super happy if Mimikyu is the gen 7 rep. I think it's a really neat pokemon. I also love upsets, and to me Mimikyu beating out competitors feels like an upset? Idk if it really would be.

As for Xenoblade characters, I have yet to play a single Xenoblade game, so for me the less the better. I'd be happy if we got none. That's not be hating on the series or it's fans, I just prefer characters from games that I know and I don't think I'm likely to get into Xenoblade.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You know what, yeah, that was pretty foolish of me. Lol.
It's fine lmao. I'm on the same boat as you.
Of course I have favorite character (Sora/Chrom/Ray) but I generally just get hyped for any Characters because of the moveset...
However and sadly it's not the case in general since talking about a character now it basically a presidential election of "Who have more merit than your character", it's sad

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I'm inclined to agree actually. It's design is bland, and it was reacted to negatively by the Pokemon community upon its first reveal. And I don't think it would bring anything interesting to Smash other than Stealth Rock, though that function can be translated easily to another character's moveset. Other than being blatantly shilled by Gamefreak, Lycanroc doesn't have anything going for him.
The rockruff line was well recieved when it was first revealed alongside Midday and Midnight Lycanroc. It was Dusk Lycanroc that had negative reception to it.

Also be stop trying to be bash other people’s thoughts on ANY character. You can state why you don't like a certain character which is fine (everyone has their own preferences), but saying that they're are a meme or that they shouldn't be discussed just goes against what a discussion board is in the first place.

There are going to be people setting up the stage of Nintendo's E3 and place demo stations for Smash 5 and people who generally work at the staples center regardless. There is going to be someone who might want to take pictures and leak information.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
To be fair, I'm pretty sure I've heard that in Gaiden (Celica's original game) Celica was basically Marth with magic gameplay wise. The idea of Celica being a clone/similar character can be credited with her original and recent appearances. That being said, I don't think she'd be a clone a clone she has a lot to offer (priestess, wings, fire/explosion magic, Mila's Turnwheel, etc.) but I wouldn't bat an eye if she was relegated to a clone. Being a clone shouldn't be expected, but considered.
She has wings?

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
The rockruff line was well recieved when it was first revealed alongside Midday and Midnight Lycanroc. It was Dusk Lycanroc that had negative reception to it.

Also be stop trying to be bash other people’s thoughts on ANY character. You can state why you don't like a certain character which is fine (everyone has their own preferences), but saying that they're are a meme or that they shouldn't be discussed just goes against what a discussion board is in the first place.

There are going to be people setting up the stage of Nintendo's E3 and place demo stations for Smash 5 and people who generally work at the staples center regardless. There is going to be someone who might want to take pictures and leak information.
Maybe I worded that incorrectly. I'm not telling people to stop having a discussion, my point is that I don't like Lycanroc, and people are overestimating his chances.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It excluded Lyn, and Lucina? Interesting I didn't know that. That could, could possibly mean that Lyn and Celica could both make it in Smash considering how both of them have a sort of contrast to each other with their different style of fighting, blinding speed Iaido and swordplay with magic
And it’s something the whole world needs. Also to add in some info,:4corrinf::4robinm:have all managed to stay pretty popular (I’m the top 10 two lists in a row), while:4robinf::4corrin:are gone from the second list

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
He was one of the only Pokemon to get two Mega Evolution (which was a new major feature that was most heavily emphasized in X and Y) in X and Y, Mewtwo starred in a 2013 Pokemon movie in one of their Mega Evolved forms, and he had a major role in Pokemon Origins.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Maybe I worded that incorrectly. I'm not telling people to stop having a discussion, my point is that I don't like Lycanroc, and people are overestimating his chances.
What did you expect from the Smash boards? Let us all do our **** and let it come down to bite us in the ass next week...or have the crash boards happen again

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
She has wings?
Not in the literal sense, no, but it's how Warriors depicted the Seraphim spell since they only had Gaiden to go off of.

But it would make an awesome forward air move. :p

Roberk

Smash Champion
She has wings?
I've seen her sprout some in Warriors. They seem angelic and would fit into her being a priestess, though I haven't played SOV so I don't know about source material (Warriors could've taken some liberties.)

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
He was one of the only Pokemon to get two Mega Evolution (which was a new major feature that was most heavily emphasized in X and Y), Mewtwo starred in a 2013 Pokemon movie in one of their Mega Evolved forms, and he had a major role in Pokemon Origins.
I wouldn't say that makes him the Gen 6 posterboy. Pokémon Origins was Kanto only so who else would star in it? and Mewtwo did get two mega forms and a movie but I still wouldn't say he's the posterboy; that'd go to Greninja, the most popular starter of the generation who got his own equivalent of a mega form, heavy exposure in the anime, and even won a distribution poll in Japan where people voted for the Pokémon they wanted.

If Mewtwo was the posterboy then Charizard must be second place as he got two Megas and Origins as well as having the Mega episodes with Alain. Mewtwo and Charizard did get attention but I wouldn't go and put them above Greninja.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
That's fine, I was just talking about Smashboards in general, since sometimes people get really emotional and argue back and forth.

Either way, I think Lycanroc (any form) has a decent shot, but there is still alot of possibilities from Gen 7.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Everyone want Gen 7 Pokemon when I actually had tons of fun as a child with :pt: and still hope that one day he'll somehow come back.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
honestly i don't see why people think we need a gen 7 rep anyways, just because it's the newest doesn't mean we need it in smash
This is how I feel about Zard, Ivy, and Squirtle returning; we don't need Gen 1 to make up 80% of the Poke reps. I would much rather spread out the reps to different gens.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Everyone want Gen 7 Pokemon when I actually had tons of fun as a child with :pt: and still hope that one day he'll somehow come back.
While I liked PT, I'm a huge fan of both solo Charizard and Ivysaur, and would prefer to have them as their own characters. Would not mind some other imagining of PT though.

Roberk

Smash Champion
While I do want :pt:, I want to play as the actual trainer on the battlefield. A trainer using Pokémon items, mechanics, and possibly summoning Pokémon themselves, that's all I'll ever need out of a Pokémon rep.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The only way I could see a Smash Switch without a Gen 7 'mon is if Sakurai doesn't see anything in any of the potential Pokemon, which I think is extremely unlikely given the diversity of Alola's cast. Sun/Moon and Star Fox Zero were basically the only major Nintendo games to release in 2016, the year the roster was decided, so those two would have been the games that everyone was discussing during the creation of the roster. It's similar to Kid Icarus Uprising and Fire Emblem Awakening being the major games around the time of Smash for's project plan (mid 2012) and thusly getting a large amount of content in Smash.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Not in the literal sense, no, but it's how Warriors depicted the Seraphim spell since they only had Gaiden to go off of.

But it would make an awesome forward air move. :p
That's amazing nonetheless I can see Sakurai implementing that some how into her moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom