• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I still don't think Greninja was chosen because of it's typing, moreso because of it's overall design. Imagine for a moment Greninja was just an extremely popular Pokemon, 3rd stage, but it's typing was Poison / Dark instead of Water / Dark. Would the stigma of having a new Water AND Grass type just be as big? I honestly doubt it.
Greninja's popularity happened around Smash. I can and will agree with you that typing wasn't the major reason why Greninja was selected.

Popularity, in of itself, can be considered forced at times as an argument. Getting the Mr. Game and Watch wasn't a "popular" choice during Melee's development considering he's just an amalgamation of the Game and Watch titles, but he's still around because some people wanted back. Popularity is one of many factors, not the "end all, be all" factor.

Honestly a Poison pokemon would be cool as ****, having poison gasses up as traps like that one Poison Kirby attack needed for a puzzle in Robobot, it can be affected by the wind and slowly racks up the damage. You can even add Venoshock or Venom Drench to make things worse for your enemies. Shame that Poison types rarely, if ever, seem to be popular or even noticed by Game Freak as it took years for them to be super effective on more than ****ing Grass
Poison attacks would be a cool sight in Smash, indeed.

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
I always thought that Mario looking angry in Brawl and Smash 4 was because of the "dark tone" of Subspace in the former, and the latter reusing Brawl's voice clips meant they had to make him angry again.

I would love to see happy Mario again, though. I can't take gritty Mario seriously.

Zeox

Smash Champion
What characters are you 100% convinced they will be in this new smash and you would be extremely surprised if they weren't?
Mine would be Wolf, after how much complains were in smash 4, I really believe Sakurai have add him to this smash, just like he added roy, lucas and mewtwo as DLC, he have added wolf to smash 5.
I really believe Wolf will be back and it will be a very big surprise if he isn't back.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Then explain how Marth and Roy got into Melee despite being Japan-only characters
Marth and Roy were in fact were originally only going to appear in the Japanese versions of Melee. However, playtesters loved them so they were left in. The reception to them was so positive that almost all Fire Emblem games from that point forward were localized. Sakurai always planned for Lucas to be in Smash. He wanted to include him in Melee, completely replacing Ness, but Mother 3's protracted development schedule caused Lucas to be removed and Ness to return. Mother 3 was originally going to be localized but because it was released at the tail end of the GBA's lifespan all efforts to localize it were silenced.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Then explain how Marth and Roy got into Melee despite being Japan-only characters
Melee is over 15 years old, the rules for newcomer selection was very different back then and catered more to a japanese fanbase, they take the west into account when it comes to roster selection now. Marth would not have gotten into smash had the same scenario happened today.

It also helps that Fire emblem was also a popular, ongoing japanese series, not a dead one.

And Takamaru is active proof that in sakurai's eyes, even retro's need to be available to all audiences NOW, the same didn't apply 15 years ago.

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
What characters are you 100% convinced they will be in this new smash and you would be extremely surprised if they weren't?
Mine would be Wolf, after how much complains were in smash 4, I really believe Sakurai have add him to this smash, just like he added roy, lucas and mewtwo as DLC, he have added wolf to smash 5.
I really believe Wolf will be back and it will be a very big surprise if he isn't back.
:popo:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Marth and Roy were in fact were originally only going to appear in the Japanese versions of Melee. However, playtesters loved them so they were left in. The reception to them was so positive that almost all Fire Emblem games from that point forward were localized. Sakurai always planned for Lucas to be in Smash. He wanted to include him in Melee, completely replacing Ness, but Mother 3's protracted development schedule caused Lucas to be removed and Ness to return. Mother 3 was originally going to be localized but because it was released at the tail end of the GBA's lifespan all efforts to localize it were silenced.
I'm pretty sure Mother 3's content like the Magypsies stopped it from getting localized too

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure Mother 3's content like the Magypsies stopped it from getting localized too
No. Not that. Remember that the Japanese version of Earthbound allowed players to play as Ness naked in Magicant and the international versions put him in his PJs in that area instead. Mother 3 was also not localized because it sold poorly in Japan. Japanese gamers hated it for not being like the first 2 games. Nintendo thought that there wasn't any demand for it.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Yeah, Wolf is pretty much a shoo-in, as well as the Ice Climbers. On the opposite side of the spectrum, I'll be genuinely surprised if we get yet another Fire Emblem rep, because even SORA thinks that the series is crowding up the roster.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
No. Not that. Mother 3 was also not localized because it sold poorly in Japan. Japanese gamers hated it for not being like the first 2 games. Nintendo thought that there wasn't any demand for it.
I'm aware of it flopping but
The genderqueer Magypsies
In 2006 or so America
That ain't happening in any kid games without controversy

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Wolf and Ice Climbers are my two big ones, due to fan outcry. Besides that, no idea.

Zeox

Smash Champion
No. Not that. Mother 3 was also not localized because it sold poorly in Japan. Japanese gamers hated it for not being like the first 2 games. Nintendo thought that there wasn't any demand for it.
If it was because of that... then why not put it in the e-shop now that people is demanding and desesperated for it to the point is now a meme?
and nintendo knows people want it now.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
The Ice Climbers, they were the only reps of their series before they got cut. Also I bet their chaingrabbing will return for at least one patch because Sakurai will inevitably forget about footstooling being a thing and they'll be able to grab, d-throw, footstool, hit with the icicle to stun momentarily, and grab again after the second-long chain grab protection wears off.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I always thought that Mario looking angry in Brawl and Smash 4 was because of the "dark tone" of Subspace in the former, and the latter reusing Brawl's voice clips meant they had to make him angry again.

I would love to see happy Mario again, though. I can't take gritty Mario seriously.
At least some of his expressions in Smash 3DS / Wii U are a small improvement; his damage expressions are the most notable.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Mine would be Roy.
Second most popular FE man.
Was cut in Brawl but Data could be find.
Got a Redesign and Semi-clon'd for smash 4.
Said Redesign is now his Main design for the FE appearance for Cipher and Heroes.
And IS is embarassing the Meme Roy's our boy.

If he get cut, I'll feel bad.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If it was because of that... then why not put it in the e-shop now that people is demanding and desesperated for it to the point is now a meme?
I said that they thought there was no demand back in 2006, when the game was released.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Like Earthbound Beginnings? Well the thing is Earthbound Beginnings was already finished and ready to be released yet they just. Didn't. Barely any effort in that but localizing Mother 3 is a different beast entirely

Smartz

Smash Cadet
Is not the Lord in all things? :troll:

Regarding codecs, I'd be so hype for Doc Louis, you have no idea.
See I think it would have been cool if doc ran around in the background like pokemon trainer did in brawl, however he could yell things. Like if he got a 5 hit combo he yells like ATTA BABY or something Doc Louis.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Wolf, Ice Climbers, Dixie Kong and/or King K Rool, Takamaru, Bomberman

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I agree on Wolf, he's probably the closest we have to a lock, he's a popular character with a (mostly) original moveset that is also relevant, star fox zero released mere months before the smash switch project plan was made.

Ice climbers are also up there but they're a bit up in the air cause 8-player smash may still cause problems but I say they're still likely.

Dixie Kong, Isabelle and Bandana Dee are the top 3 most likely newcomers in my eyes, they tick nearly every box when it comes to newcomer criteria.

I'd also put money on elma, now that we know rex and pyra's design finalization was later than we expected, pyra's va claims not to have been contacted about it and there's only one other exception in greninja with characters getting chosen before their game release, I would bet money on an X character and since Monolith themselves suggested Elma that's the likely option.

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
So out of all the major front runners in the race to get into smash, which do you think are going to get skipped over? It happens every smash season, and people never seem to be prepared for it.

I'm referring to characters like mimikyu, rex/pyra/elma, decidueye, Isabelle, etc.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
I still think Midna and Marx have great chances to get in as newcomers.

Midna's always been a highly appreciated character in the Zelda universe, if not the most beloved companion in the whole franchise. She also got a lot of attention and positive feedback from her appearances in the Hyrule Warriors games.

Similar scenario with Marx.
He was already a beloved and famous villain of the Kirby franchise, but then it also got introduced as a playable character in the latest Kirby game after a high demanding from the players as a DLC, since he wasn't initially planned to appear in the game (if I'm not mistaken).

And I think that Sakurai is aware of these two situations, especially of the latter since it involves one of his creations.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I agree on Wolf, he's probably the closest we have to a lock, he's a popular character with a (mostly) original moveset that is also relevant, star fox zero released mere months before the smash switch project plan was made..
Star Fox Zero flopped. Wolf is not a lock to appear.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
You know, he may not be discussed as much, but what do you guys think about Lloyd Irving being in this Smash?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I think serious Mario is just the guy getting into the mood of a tournament for glory.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So out of all the major front runners in the race to get into smash, which do you think are going to get skipped over? It happens every smash season, and people never seem to be prepared for it.

I'm referring to characters like mimikyu, rex/pyra/elma, decidueye, Isabelle, etc.
Chances are, most of the fighters you've mentioned probably won't make the cut. If the roster truly was finalized in 2016, then the popularity that Mimikyu and Dusk Form Lycanroc have received will most likely be irrelevant.

?????????????

Smash Master
You know, he may not be discussed as much, but what do you guys think about Lloyd Irving being in this Smash?
Personally, I like the idea. The Tales games are fantastic, and Lloyd is kiiiiiinda the Nintendo mascot of the Tales series. Plus, he’d be very unique.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Star Fox Zero flopped. Wolf is not a lock to appear.
when have sales ever stopped a character getting in? Sakurai's not gonna look at the last generation games and skip on Zero and thus wolf because it flopped, especially since the majority of games on the wii u flopped

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Have evidence? If he's not gonna make the base roster, he should be DLC because of popular fan demands.
Some gaming communities rank Star Fox Zero among the worst games of 2016. That's quite harsh for a game that's actually pretty good once you've gotten past the motion control learning curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom