• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
For those not in the know, E3 Judges Week just occurred. Smash was most certainly playable there, so many industry vets have already probably played the game. Brandon Jones and Greg Miller are among that group, from what I know.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For those not in the know, E3 Judges Week just occurred. Smash was most certainly playable there, so many industry vets have already probably played the game. Brandon Jones and Greg Miller are among that group, from what I know.
So you're saying we could get leaks? Oh, jeez, I don't have vacation yet. D:

...I got the next two days off, but still.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I haven't been able to keep up with all the discussion.. so what is the general consensus about the DasVergeben leak? I know it's been talked about a lot, but it's littered throughout a lot of pages with random pieces that would be too much to put together right now.

I think it's notable how they mentioned Pokemon Switch being a Kanto game, but I'm not sure whether that was before or after all the Pokemon Lets Go! stuff started gaining traction.

The "Smash Switch is a new game with reused assets to some extent" is basically a something-nothing since it's all but confirmed to be a new game and pretty much every Smash game has had assets reused in at least some form. I at least know Smash 4 did with some Brawl assets.

No cuts is a bold statement. Another Capcom rep wouldn't be that surprising since they have just so many IPs.

It's also noteworthy he says he trusts Ridley being in, but that Simon Belmont and Ice Climbers come from a different source.

The idea of Ridley being in also lines up with the ResetEra leaks / "speculation." I refuse to believe any of it until confirmed by Nintendo just because Ridley is probably my #1 first party and I refuse to disappoint myself, lol.
I don't believe it for a minute. I know I'm late to this party, but I don't.

Granted, I really don't believe in any leaks unless they're gameplay footage, considering the Rayman leak of yesteryear, but he has a history of editing his leak posts, (noted on reddit by the little *) and seems to get numerous things incorrect.

Just skimming the Nintendo-only section on his most recent of the two posts (that he's edited, mind you), he's said that the January 11th direct would likely focus on some of the following:
  • Metroid Prime 4 ("It will have some presence in the Direct.")
  • A new Animal Crossing game ("which should be covered in the Direct.")
  • A new Pokemon game ("Pokemon Gen 8 should get covered and some kind of highlight in the Direct")
  • GTA V port ("GTAV having a Switch port release and likely around Q3 and highlighted in the Direct is something I heard")
  • Dragon Quest XI ("Dragon Quest XI should be appearing during the January Direct")
  • Undertale ("Undertale coming to Switch and being announced in the January Direct")
And he got nearly none of it right! He didn't mention:
  • The World Ends With You Port
  • Pokken DX
  • Kirby Star Allies
  • New Mario Tennis
  • Ys VIII
  • Luigi's Balloon World
  • Mario + Rabbids DLC
  • PAYDAY 2
  • Celeste
  • Tropical Freeze Port + Funky Kong
None of it. The only thing he got right was that Dark Souls Remastered was a thing, BUT not only did he say he didn't think it would be in the January direct, but the fact that it was multiplatform was announced near minutes after the direct ended, whereas he though it may have been Switch exclusive. And even then, rumors of the game had been spreading before he had ever even said anything about it. (Absolutely no mention of the game in his original post...)

While some of those things eventually did come true (Undertale was announced later on in a March direct, a Wario game was announced as well), we still haven't seen anything else he said we would've seen four months ago. Alongside that, we're still missing other things like Injustice 2, Dragon Ball Fighter Z, Soul Calibur VI, Hearthstone (which has literally been deconfirmed, by the way), Killing Floor 2, Nier Automata, amongst many others. No way in hell Fire Emblem 16 is having a May release date when we STILL know nothing about it.

Even still, that's just looking at his Nintendo stuff. I have no goddamn clue how inaccurate is other stuff could be. I didn't bother.

Plus, there's always the case of "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." Saying Ridley is going to be in Smash is a big ass claim (no pun intended). He's likely one of the most hyped up characters not already in the game, and the idea of Konami coming back to work on Smash AND the Ice Climbers returning just add fuel to the hypothetical fire.

As far as I can tell, the sole thing he's gotten right was that the TMNT and Enchantress would be in Injustice 2. But even then, something like that has absolutely jack all to do with Nintendo, the Switch, or Smash.

This whole leak is entirely a matter of "It has characters I like, so it must be legit!" The guy has an extremely incorrect leaking streak, a terrible reputation within the community, is known for constantly editing his posts to make himself look right, and anything he has gotten right has absolutely nothing to do with Nintendo. If the exact same guy said that the newcomers were going to be Bad Boxart Mega Man, Fire Flower Mario, and Raichu, no one would believe him.

Or at least, that's my take on it. He could be right. Who knows? Take everything with a pinch of salt.

Also I don't believe it because Simon Belmont and Ridley would make me extremely happy and Smash newcomers almost always let me down so I doubt it

Last edited:

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
So you're saying we could get leaks? Oh, jeez, I don't have vacation yet. D:

...I got the next two days off, but still.
Hoooooo boy.

This is where the fun starts
Oh no no no guys. These are well respected, long time gaming industry veterans. Anyone attending E3 Judges Week has signed a 3 week long NDA. They cannot and will not talk about anything they've played under any circumstances until E3 itself. Just thought it was interesting to note.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh no no no guys. These are well respected, long time gaming industry veterans. Anyone attending E3 Judges Week has signed a 3 week long NDA. They cannot and will not talk about anything they've played under any circumstances until E3 itself. Just thought it was interesting to note.
You got my hopes up and shot them down hard.

...Good job.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
At this point, I hope we don't get any real Smash leaks. It's only 3 weeks until E3 and I feel anything substantial will spoil the surprise like the Ryu/Roy leaks did.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Damn those honest industry veterans. Just who do they think they are... Not leaking information... Smash speculation doesn't have room for such honest NDA honorers. They need to make way for the real heroes, the 4chan leakers.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
So what if they added Duna from Fossil Fighters in 5mash?

Believe me when I say she is a fan favorite! Her neutral attacks would most likely involve clawswipes (inspired by the manga) and tail smacks with a few kicks through in.

Her specials however would obviously involve her battle mode!

:GCB:: A simple bite that has a chance to start the opponent's shield break animation.
:GCR::GCB:: She pounces onto the opponent. This is a command grab similar to SSF2 Sandbag.
:GCD::GCB:: This one actually keeps her in her normal form. She summons a Dinomaton
to attack the opponent, much like Zelda's Phantom and Duck Hunt's wild gunmen but a bit faster and with less lag.
:GCU::GCB:: Simply teleports.

Her final smash will summon King Dynal and Raptin in their battle modes as well as have Duna in her battle mode.

All three will use their team attacks at the same time similar to Pokemon Trainer's Triple Finish.

Aside from the default costumes (default, blue, red and green) she will have four costumes.
One based on her human form

One based on Delta

And two based on the other Dinaurians.

If you wanted to add a 9th one then colors based on the Dinomaton could work.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Because Ridley's size has always been consistent in that he's significantly larger than Samus.

Bowser and Palutena's sizes are inconsistent in their corresponding universe. At least in the sense that they've both been of reasonable size in comparison to Mario & Pit. This is not the case with Ridley & Samus. The only exception is the original Metroid and I'm sorry, but that doesn't count. One, because after that game, he's always appeared as extremely bigger than Samus. Two, All of the monsters were Samus's size because of limitations, so this is the Ridley you'd be proposing appear in Smash
And when did I say I wanted that incarnation of Ridley in Smash?

I said make him as big or slightly bigger than Bowser in Smash, currently the tallest character in the series. That way he'd be the new tallest charactcer while still being at a reasonable state and, needless to say, he'd be larger than Samus.

(And just to make it clear, I mean that when Ridley is his idle animation, where he'd be hunched over in a ready to attack position, his hitbox would be as tall, if not taller, than Bowser's. Think of it like DK, he's much taller than Bowser, but due to his posture he only appears to be about as tall as him during his idle)

This is the smallest interpretation of Ridley you will find that really counts:
View attachment 145361

You could make this Ridley slightly smaller, and his limbs and wings wouldn't be an issue, because unless he's attacking, they retract into his hunched body. This is the interpretation of Ridley that appears on the cover as not too much larger than Samus and in the opening movie for Super Smash Bros Melee, in which he's about the size of Bowser compared to Mario. I feel like it wouldn't be too unreasonable to downsize this one slightly, but it would still be awkward.
Well, so long as it's a reasonable scale, then whether or not he'd look awkward to some people is unimportant.

You can't compare Bowser's size to Ridley's size because Bowser's size changes constantly throughout his series. Ridley's doesn't. The only time his size changes is when he's way bigger than before, never smaller.
Bruh, I specifically said that comparing Bowser's size inconsistency in his series with Ridley's is a "flimsy excuse", why are you telling me that.

There are other things that bring up issues besides size too, like characters being able to grab and throw Ridley, which is a disservice to his portrayal in Metroid games where such a thing would be absurd. There is also the issue with some people not liking Ridley getting his *** handed to him by Master Hand and other enemies, which seems implausible.

These are not the be all end all to him not working, but you can't just ignore those issues.
... I... wuh...

Why on Earth would people think that's an issue?? That's just the nature of Smash; all characters, regardless of their origin, attributes and reputation, are affected by the same rules: they all take damage from the same attacks, they are all affected by gravity, they all can be launched with a strong blow, they all can splat against the camera, and yes, they all can be grabbed by anyone, regardless of strenght, and tossed around like a ragdoll, as well as being Master Hand's playthings.

Why would people be offended about Ridley being bound to the same rules as EVERYONE, including Ganondorf, Samus, Palutena, Mewtwo and the like? It'd be absurd to do any of that to those characters in their series, yet in Smash, no one bats an eye because that **** is the norm.

I honestly don't know what the point of that argument was. Literally who cares about that?

Last edited:

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
I don't believe it for a minute. I know I'm late to this party, but I don't.

Granted, I really don't believe in any leaks unless they're gameplay footage, considering the Rayman leak of yesteryear, but he has a history of editing his leak posts, (noted on reddit by the little *) and seems to get numerous things incorrect.

Just skimming the Nintendo-only section on his most recent of the two posts (that he's edited, mind you), he's said that the January 11th direct would likely focus on some of the following:
  • Metroid Prime 4 ("It will have some presence in the Direct.")
  • A new Animal Crossing game ("which should be covered in the Direct.")
  • A new Pokemon game ("Pokemon Gen 8 should get covered and some kind of highlight in the Direct")
  • GTA V port ("GTAV having a Switch port release and likely around Q3 and highlighted in the Direct is something I heard")
  • Dragon Quest XI ("Dragon Quest XI should be appearing during the January Direct")
  • Undertale ("Undertale coming to Switch and being announced in the January Direct")
And he got nearly none of it right! He didn't mention:
  • The World Ends With You Port
  • Pokken DX
  • Kirby Star Allies
  • New Mario Tennis
  • Ys VIII
  • Luigi's Balloon World
  • Mario + Rabbids DLC
  • PAYDAY 2
  • Celeste
  • Tropical Freeze Port + Funky Kong
None of it. The only thing he got right was that Dark Souls Remastered was a thing, BUT not only did he say he didn't think it would be in the January direct, but the fact that it was multiplatform was announced near minutes after the direct ended, whereas he though it may have been Switch exclusive. And even then, rumors of the game had been spreading before he had ever even said anything about it. (Absolutely no mention of the game in his original post...)

While some of those things eventually did come true (Undertale was announced later on in a March direct, a Wario game was announced as well), we still haven't seen anything else he said we would've seen four months ago. Alongside that, we're still missing other things like Injustice 2, Dragon Ball Fighter Z, Soul Calibur VI, Hearthstone (which has literally been deconfirmed, by the way), Killing Floor 2, Nier Automata, amongst many others. No way in hell Fire Emblem 16 is having a May release date when we STILL know nothing about it.

Even still, that's just looking at his Nintendo stuff. I have no goddamn clue how inaccurate is other stuff could be. I didn't bother.

Plus, there's always the case of "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." Saying Ridley is going to be in Smash is a big *** claim (no pun intended). He's likely one of the most hyped up characters not already in the game, and the idea of Konami coming back to work on Smash AND the Ice Climbers returning just add fuel to the hypothetical fire.

As far as I can tell, the sole thing he's gotten right was that the TMNT and Enchantress would be in Injustice 2. But even then, something like that has absolutely jack all to do with Nintendo, the Switch, or Smash.

This whole leak is entirely a matter of "It has characters I like, so it must be legit!" The guy has an extremely incorrect leaking streak, a terrible reputation within the community, is known for constantly editing his posts to make himself look right, and anything he has gotten right has absolutely nothing to do with Nintendo. If the exact same guy said that the newcomers were going to be Bad Boxart Mega Man, Fire Flower Mario, and Raichu, no one would believe him.

Or at least, that's my take on it. He could be right. Who knows? Take everything with a pinch of salt.

Also I don't believe it because Simon Belmont and Ridley would make me extremely happy and Smash newcomers almost always let me down so I doubt it
I would to point out that he knows that he's gotten stuff wrong before and has had gotten stuff right before so it's not like he's never gotten anything right and this is just because people would love to see Ridley playable because it's not.

He seems like a guy who DOES have people who gives him inside information.

I would also like to point he knew that bamco bandai was working on the game.

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/8k0li1/here_are_some_big_smash_leaks_for_those_that_care/

I think it helps to remember that he had one then one source and he seemingly reports almost anything they give him, so it's more or less just a situtsitu where he's just the massager in this situation and not the writer.

TLDR; Just take what he says with a gain gain salt.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Aaaaand, while I'm at it.

I'm sure there's plenty of Star Wars fans that would have liked to see Boba Fett come back to life in The Last Jedi and have a light saber fight with ghost Yoda. But, then there's also fans who take Star Wars very seriously and would not take too kindly to Disney doing something so absurd just to please fans.

If you were a Star Wars fan and someone said "I don't see a problem with that", you'd probably be pretty outraged.

I'm not on the side that it can't work, and I'd love to see Ridley. But, you can't just go "Well who cares if they totally change what everyone knows Ridley to be?"
That's a pretty dumb analogy. You're comparing people wanting a character returning (at all) in a continuation of their series when they are physically incapable of doing so, to people wanting a character to be included in a crossover with some slight alterations in order them to be viable.

Them be apples and oranges. Of course people would be outraged if someone wants something completely absurd within the context of a given series. It's a completely different situation from wanting a character in a crossover fighting game, even if means some alterations have to be made.

And just as a footnote, Ridley's integrity isn't dependent on his size; he's the smallest Space Pirate commander in Super Metroid for Pete's sake! It was always his sheer brutality, his cruel and cunning demeanor, and his tendency to constantly wail on his opponents until they're nothing but a heap of seared meat.

EDIT: That, and his stubbornness. If there's one thing he's infamous for, other than his involvement in Smash, is that he refuses to let even death stop him.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Just woke up but the size issue about Ridley and Olimar....

...aren't the characters supposed to be like toys or trophies in this world that come to life anyway? I thought that was the reason Olimar and Kirby didn't just get stamped on by Ganondorf and Bowser underfoot casually.

If that's the case surely ol' Riddles can be shrunk accordingly because it's not even the real Ridley but a trophy version?

I'm not even a Ridley supporter but the "Too Big" argument has always felt, rather appropriately, like a stretch to me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ridley being too big is more about proportions anyway. That, and his size actually is part of what makes him such a menacing boss, even in Smash. Like the rest of the bosses, who are large, this fits the design well. As well as his personality.

I'd love for him to be playable, but it's still important for him to get a design that makes him easy to shrink down but still lets him be feral, etc.

Any pic of a gaint character nex to him?
Unfortunately no.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ridley is too big is much like ''Captain Toad can't jump" to me.

It's limiting a character who has a ton of potential based on probably the least important aspect about him.

Ridley is feral, savage, and mean. It's very very very very easy to portray this and make him feel like himself without him having to dwarf other characters in size.

It's a hold up excuse as well, much like the ''Animal Crossing characters are too sweet and pacifist."

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
If Legacy XP can have a slightly-smaller Ridley and get no flack for it, then there's no reason Smash 5 can't.

That's all I'm gonna say on the matter

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
While the Legacy XP Ridley mod is a little silly as far as some of its attack options go, its a perfect example of what Ridley could do in a real Smash game while retaining his feral, aggressive history. Lemme go find a video...

Here we go. I already have the video set to the Ridley part, beware of language bc this guy likes his colorful words.

But yeah, hard hitting, quick, heavy commitment attacks, as well as aerial command grab(s). Make his animations look like he's swinging to kill every time so he seems feral and angry.

EDIT:
If Legacy XP can have a slightly-smaller Ridley and get no flack for it, then there's no reason Smash 5 can't.

That's all I'm gonna say on the matter
We were on the same page I guess lol.

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
im so hype for e3 that i made a favorite characters list.
the more the character got a smash logo , the more im hype for to be in smash 5 :)

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
im so hype for e3 that i made a favorite characters list.
the more the character got a smash logo , the more im hype for to be in smash 5 :)

I like the idea of your hype list. I might make some graphic for mine as well. Also we have several characters in common.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
As others have indicated, Ridley’s size is not his defining trait. His cunning, violent, and sadistic nature is his calling card, and could easily be represented with the right moveset.

The only consistent thing about his size is that he’s taller than Samus, which is easily realizable in Smash.

And arguing that it would be disrespectful to have him getting beaten up/grabbed/KO’d? Pretty much every character on the roster, from Princess Peach to Ganondorf, would like a word with you...

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
And arguing that it would be disrespectful to have him getting beaten up/grabbed/KO’d? Pretty much every character on the roster, from Princess Peach to Ganondorf, would like a word with you...
To double down on this point, this is literally a series where the likes of Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Duck Hunt Dog can hit Ganondorf with a Baseball Bat while he's wearing bunny ears.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Just woke up but the size issue about Ridley and Olimar....

...aren't the characters supposed to be like toys or trophies in this world that come to life anyway? I thought that was the reason Olimar and Kirby didn't just get stamped on by Ganondorf and Bowser underfoot casually.

If that's the case surely ol' Riddles can be shrunk accordingly because it's not even the real Ridley but a trophy version?

I'm not even a Ridley supporter but the "Too Big" argument has always felt, rather appropriately, like a stretch to me.
Deja vu

Olimar isn't the only thing from Pikmin being resized. Him, the Pikmin, the stages, everything has been resized. With Metroid, you would be resizing just Ridley, which would appear weird since Samus hasn't really been altered. Aside from some early installment weirdness, Ridley towers over Samus. If you were to resize him without changing Samus it looks disproportionate and untrue of his character.

Not saying he's not going to be resized. We have had singular/few elements from a series already resized from Smash. The koopalings were made to all be the same size, despite some being much bigger or smaller than the others. That being said, as much I like the koopalings as alts, I really didn't like how their sizes were changed. Seeing Roy and Morton have the same size as Lemmy was off putting. Seeing Ridley shrunk down too much would probably have the same effect. If there is an ideal size to have him work in Smash and still be huge relative to Samus, I'd like to see it.

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
still not believing that leak. the only thing he might be right is that there are probably no cuts and IC is coming back.

his track record is spotty

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Did I see someone claim Miis will be cut due to them not getting used outside of ports? I mean... The Switch still uses them and you can have them as your profile pic on the Switch. Granted it's the same guy who claimed Mario Odyssey would fail to sell more than BotW but still

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well I'll repost my old list with new additions (in Yellow) added because either they exis

* Captain Toad
* Daisy
* Waluigi
* Pauline
* Paper Mario
* Dixie Kong
* King K. Rool
* Scrooge McCranky Kong
* Mona
* Ashley
* Yarn Yoshi
* Bandana Dee
* Gooey
* Ridley
* Dark Samus
* Sylux
* Wolf
* Krystal
* Eevee
* Gardevoir
* Mimikyu
* Lycanroc
* Decidyeye
* Ice Climbers
* Lyn
* Isabelle
* Dillon
* Spring Man
* Ribbon Girl
* Lola Pop
* Dr Coyle
* Elma
* Rex and/or Pyra
* Snake
* Raiden
* Simon Belmont
* Bomberman
* Tails
* Knuckles
* Shadow
* Amy
* Proto Man
* Zero
* Roll
* Dig Dug
* Ryu
* Ken
* Chun-li
* Ray Man
* Shovel Knight
* Shantae
* Crash Bandicoot
* Spyro

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
unpopular opinion but i like the other m ridley design.
Unpopular opinion: Other M Ridley was the MOST WORKABLE Ridley in terms of having a Smash-moveset since the excistance of Ridley.

Pyrosphere Ridley seems almost like a playable character but whilst using a Mega Super Mushroom.

Also that Smash Mod Ridley doesn't proof that Ridley works in Smash, just that Ridley would face heavy balance issues. He'll either be overpowered or a big, disfunctional punching bag.

I have a lot of doubt that Prime 4 would change things up honestly, unless Ridley gets a kid or something that's somewhat workable... or Ridley assumes humanoid form or whatever, it just won't be a very likely occurence to have him playable in Smash Bros.

Unless we get playable Boss Battles where you can control the Boss characters, but that idea has been shot down many a time.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Also that Smash Mod Ridley doesn't proof that Ridley works in Smash, just that Ridley would face heavy balance issues. He'll either be overpowered or a big, disfunctional punching bag.
Question: Which mod are you talking about?
Second question: Does it have a professional balance team behind it?
Third question: Is the mod still getting updated with patches that could fix that?

D

Deleted member

So this Ridley argument size....
Ridley does not have to be huge compared to Samus. I mean, just make Ridley slightly bigger than Bowser and I think Ridley would be perfect. Also Sakurai said once "Ridley would not be able to glide anywhere". That is fine. I mean Meta Knight can fly from space and he can not fly for infinite anymore ( In Brawl gliding was a thing. ).

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Reading over all the posts yesterday I saw a huge conflict between "Relevant Wii U Characters" and "Ballot Characters". In my opinion (Coming from a guy who scoured the web during ballot season) I thought there was a lot of overlap between the two. Just so were all on the same page, who would you guys would say are "Relevant Wii U Characters", "Ballot Characters", or Both?

Relevant Wii U Characters:
Gen 7 PKMN
Elma

Both:
Paper Mario
Toad
Waluigi
Daisy
Bandanna Dee

Ballot Characters:
K Rule
Isaac
Krystal
Geno
Banjo

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I take it you haven't played Legacy XP then? He's nowhere near OP or bad at all. The general consensus I've seen is mid-high to high tier, his MUs aren't ridiculous or anything. Good against characters like Jigglypuff, loses to the spacies, etc;

Referring to Classic Ridley, that is. Other M Ridley seems to be considered on the lower end of the characters, but it's nothing buffs couldn't easily fix. Definitely not the worst even in Project M alone.

This also isn't really a good argument regardless, considering one is a mod made by about two people (KingJigglypuff & Bagan, possibly some adjustments by the LXP team but I'm of the impression that was just handled by KingJigglypuff) and the other would be Ridley professionally designed by Nintendo & Bamco...

Definitely wouldn't say a pretty well balanced Ridley fan mod made by two people proves he'd be "face heavy balance issues" but..

Third question: Is the mod still getting updated with patches that could fix that?
One of the Project M Ridley mods. There's two, Other M Ridley and Classic Ridley. Classic Ridley is the more recent and up to date version, but both are present in Legacy XP (OM Ridley is selectable as a "secret" alt that some characters have.)

The answer to your third question is yes. It's being actively developed by KingJigglypuff.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Legacy XP, it's the most well done mod on Ridley mind you.. But still heavily overpowered.
No it doesn't, exactly, but it's been made by experienced Smashers.
I really don't know.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, a mod would definitely prove it's doable (even if it's somehow unpolished) but Project M and its mods have very different design concepts than Smash.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Experienced Smashers patching and working on any character does not even come close to what Sakurai and a team like Bandai Namco could do.

In fact, if anything this fandom 85 percent of the time proves experienced Smashers have no idea what's good for the series and what's bad for the series.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Unpopular opinion:I have a lot of doubt that Prime 4 would change things up honestly, unless Ridley gets a kid or something that's somewhat workable... or Ridley assumes humanoid form or whatever, it just won't be a very likely occurence to have him playable in Smash Bros.

Unless we get playable Boss Battles where you can control the Boss characters, but that idea has been shot down many a time.
Regardless of how difficult he'd be to implement, I still stand with my assumption that Ridley is the only Metroid character we could get as of now. Unless Sakurai is incredibly brave, I don't think he'll add Sylux or Dark Samus over the most blatantly requested Metroid character. If Riddles can't work, good luck trying to get someone else before him.

Now with that in mind, if Prime 4 is a success and it's met with positive reviews, I think the fanbase would grow and there would be a much bigger push for a Metroid character. Since Ridley is so iconic and has a large following, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai takes a crack at making a playable Ridley.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Modders will always be limited to the resources that they can rip from existing games, I think the Ridley mod is extremely well done, but it's still pretty clear that both the Brawl and Other M models were originally designed to be bosses, and as such there will always be a limit as to how much you can scale and twist their proportions without breaking the model. If we want a playable Ridley that's going to fit seamlessly as a playable character then a new model will have to be build from scratch, one that at its very core is meant to be a fighter. As fans we obviously can't pull that off, but Sakurai's team can with both hands tied behind their backs, although it might require them to make a unique design for him.

The mod is mostly a proof of the concept, but far from what an official version of the idea would look like, it can only get a lot better (although I reiterate, the mod is very well done).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Regardless of how difficult he'd be to implement, I still stand with my assumption that Ridley is the only Metroid character we could get as of now. Unless Sakurai is incredibly brave, I don't think he'll add Sylux or Dark Samus over the most blatantly requested Metroid character. If Riddles can't work, good luck trying to get someone else before him.

Now with that in mind, if Prime 4 is a success and it's met with positive reviews, I think the fanbase would grow and there would be a much bigger push for a Metroid character. Since Ridley is so iconic and has a large following, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai takes a crack at making a playable Ridley.
Dark Samus has a chance if it reappears in Prime 4. Then, I think it'll be a Prime contender :smirk:

Sylux too, if his role is as influential as they make it sound. I could see his support rise tremendously because of Prime 4.

Ridley will always be highly requested, but am just not seeing it happening. The great request of a new Metroid character has already been answered with Zero Suit Samus. :4zss: And honestly, that was the best approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom