• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Yeah. But if SAKURAI saw that potential, Ridley would have been playable. Don't you think?
Ridley fit all of the bills of relevance and what's not other weird Rules we see.
Yet He's not playable.

Sometime you need to be realistic.
Maybe we see a potential in it.

But maybe Sakurai doesn't.
We don't have the same perception of the world, we're all different.
You're forgetting that Ridley did technically have a moveset in Smash already. From when he was an SSE boss.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hasn't Sakurai said before that he already TRIED to make Ridley work, but couldn't? That's a pretty big hint towards not being included honestly...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You're forgetting that Ridley did technically have a moveset in Smash already. From when he was an SSE boss.
Actually, funny thing; in 64 and Melee, Master Hand(and then Crazy Hand) actually had literal movesets, which were all commands that forced them into hard animations. Smash 64 had Master Hand with the regular moveset commands, including the first official use of Forward B(as something more than quickly using it as a strategy like with Link's Boomerang). Melee made them all use the D-Pad as part of the commands, separating them from the rest of the NPC's who were clearly fighters(Giga Bowser, Wire Frames) and obviously the playable cast.

The SSE bosses, from what I understand, didn't have remotely comparable move commands when trying to be playable. So... it means that it was nothing more than a boss with programmed in A.I. and moves that reflected the situation they were in.
Well, reading into Smash Wiki, Master Hand retains a moveset programmed in again. Welp. Brawl only, though. Akin to Melee's reference of using the D-Pad.

I have no idea of how Ridley was programmed in Smash 4, but he definitely moves a bit more like a regular playable character, including the attacks.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I don't really think anyone should ever expect ridley at this point. Im not saying you cant hope for him, but people should absolutely lower their expectations. He's been treated as a boss twice at this point, and is constantly turned down by sakurai vocally. Sure, he's changed his mind on others before, but it looks like he goes out of his way to make him prominent in the series without making him playable. The fan base just thinks its not enough.

I mean, he could've been an AT instead. Or nothing like Krool lol. Thats how I like to look at it. Best chance of seeing playable ridley is if smash isn't being led by sakurai tbh.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
To be honest most reasoning is completely arbitrary for exclusion whether it's fans or Sakurai's opinion.

The reasoning of 'wouldn't be true to their character' in particular annoys me whilst we have Rosalina throwing her 'children' out to fight for her, Peach the loving princess breaking spines with golf clubs and meat shielding herself with her own subjects, Ness using moves that he doesn't learn in his own game, and Charizard a half flying Pokémon being horrific in the air. Duck Hunt has the dog, the duck and the hunter teaming up. How is this remotely in character?

But then we'll sit back and watch as we all jump through logic loops to go "nah those decisions make perfect sense because they're in the game but obviously we can't scale Ridley down a smidge or have Captain Toad use a way to get around his jump issue or Isabelle as a fighter because she's too peaceful, etc"

What gives?

Pac-Man uses his ENEMIES for several of his Smash moves by throwing them out which is so untrue to the original character the fact anyone brings up characters not working because they wouldn't be true to their original game is frankly laughable.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I like how people think they know what Sakurai is going to do based on things he's said. Even though the man has contradicted himself or changed his mind many times.

"No, Sakurai would never pick a character because of such-and-such."

"This character is a shoe-in because it ticks off all the things Sakurai is looking for."

At the end of the day, no one knows what Sakurai will do. We can make educated guesses, but that's it.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
What gives?

Pac-Man uses his ENEMIES for several of his Smash moves by throwing them out which is so untrue to the original character the fact anyone brings up characters not working because they wouldn't be true to their original game is frankly laughable.
I don't find characters having been represented poorly in the past to be a compelling case for representing them poorly in the future.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The fact that Sakurai looks at Ridley and says, “It wouldn’t be Ridley if I took certain things away”, means that he knows enough about the character to make that judgement.

As far as referencing those quotes from Sakurai, it’s important to reference these. It gives us an idea of what to expect.

We shouldn’t simply reject all information at our disposal because, “He’s changed his mind before!” That retort can literally respond to anything and nullifies the point. It’s not a valid response because if Sakurai’s own words go against an idea it pretty much says, “Don’t mention that, what i’m saying could still happen!”.

Sure, anything could happen. Just don’t reject things that say it might not. That seems to happen a lot here.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Be sarcastic all you want, but when's the last mainline Nintendo game that used Miis?
First of all, that's not relevant to their chances at all because they are the main avatar of Nintendo Switch, but from 2014-2017:
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Mario & Sonic at The Rio 2016 Olympic Games
  • Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U
  • Pokemon Rumble World
  • Miitopia
  • Miitomo
  • Tomodachi Life
  • Streetpass Mii Plaza (still being supported)

Last edited by a moderator:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The amount of rumours and hints that the Switch Pokemon games are going to revisit Kanto are piling up.
Apparently the titles are Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee, and possibly Pokemon Yellow remakes/ revisions/ successors.

The Pokemon Company has been showing a lot of Gen 1 prototype Pokemon as of late. They mentioned Pikachu's/ Raichu's evolution Gorochu (Or something) in an interview. Just recently in a manga based on the creator of Pokemon's struggle to make Pokemon, had a few never seen before prototypes of Gen 1 Pokemon that never got added. Apparently some of the index numbers match the missingno index's... which crushes the removed gen 2 Pokemon theory.

A lot of people are beginning to think they will bring these prototypes to life for the new Kanto based game.

With Kanto being relevant... and perhaps not just a revisit... but Kanto in a modern capacity, ie) Kanto being hit by a cataclysm therefore it's sort of a new region as well.

I think ... maybe there might be some conjecture there for Sakurai to consider Squirtle & Ivysaur again?

Perhaps even Pichu if the new game is actuay called Let's Go Pikachu... if it has a focus on Pikachu, i'm sure Pichu will have some attention in those games.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I like how people think they know what Sakurai is going to do based on things he's said. Even though the man has contradicted himself or changed his mind many times.

"No, Sakurai would never pick a character because of such-and-such."

"This character is a shoe-in because it ticks off all the things Sakurai is looking for."

At the end of the day, no one knows what Sakurai will do. We can make educated guesses, but that's it.
I agree, but the fact that he goes back on his words does not mean he would do it again.
I think it's safer to assume he won't change his mind, because he certainly didn't change it for Ridley in Smash 4.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
The amount of rumours and hints that the Switch Pokemon games are going to revisit Kanto are piling up.
Apparently the titles are Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee, and possibly Pokemon Yellow remakes/ revisions/ successors.

The Pokemon Company has been showing a lot of Gen 1 prototype Pokemon as of late. They mentioned Pikachu's/ Raichu's evolution Gorochu (Or something) in an interview. Just recently in a manga based on the creator of Pokemon's struggle to make Pokemon, had a few never seen before prototypes of Gen 1 Pokemon that never got added. Apparently some of the index numbers match the missingno index's... which crushes the removed gen 2 Pokemon theory.

A lot of people are beginning to think they will bring these prototypes to life for the new Kanto based game.

With Kanto being relevant... and perhaps not just a revisit... but Kanto in a modern capacity, ie) Kanto being hit by a cataclysm therefore it's sort of a new region as well.

I think ... maybe there might be some conjecture there for Sakurai to consider Squirtle & Ivysaur again?

Perhaps even Pichu if the new game is actuay called Let's Go Pikachu... if it has a focus on Pikachu, i'm sure Pichu will have some attention in those games.
Likely far too late to be considered for the base roster, considering it was only announced that they started working on it in mid-2017.

Squirtle / Ivysaur DLC wouldn't be too farfetched though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
People are looking vastly as his words wrong; he doesn't really contradict himself.

What he does though is make a reason he hasn't included the character at that time. Ridley may be the only potential case as an actual "won't happen" character, and we have yet to see that as correct. He didn't even consider him as playable for Brawl. Smash 4 is the only time he outright thought about it.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
YoshiandToad YoshiandToad
I hate this notion that because a character can do something they don't do in the game, that it means we can just represent characters as poorly as we want.

Like because Mario can throw fireballs without a fire flower, that means we could give Diglet from Pokemon a pair of arms and legs in order to make him playable.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Likely far too late to be considered for the base roster, considering it was only announced that they started working on it in mid-2017.

Squirtle / Ivysaur DLC wouldn't be too farfetched though.
Well there's other stuff to suggest that this Switch game was going to be a revisit of Kanto for sometime.
In Sun & Moon only Kanto pokemon got Alola forms, main characters from Kanto.
In Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Lily & gladion go to Kanto at the end of the game.

Which (if the next game is Kanto based) it looks as though the Pokemon Company had laid the ground work for that game for sometime now.

Not to mention the new movie staring an Eevee along with Pikachu.

With all that being said... It could have been in Sakurai's scope of know - that the switch Pokemon game was going to be Kanto based. So consideration for Squirtle/ Ivysaur could have happened very early on...

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Like because Mario can throw fireballs without a fire flower, that means we could give Diglet from Pokemon a pair of arms and legs in order to make him playable.
Boy do I have bad news for you.
This is what Diglet really looks like.

Would be a first that a Pokémon has four stages of evolution (without counting different branchers and Mega-evolution).
Gorochu for Smash?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
And I don't find it as an airtight reasoning to excuse not wanting certain characters when it's clearly lax at best.
I have no opinion on this particular argument and I'm slightly embarrassed by the side I apparently looked like I was on, but nonetheless "that isn't good reasoning" does not disprove my reasoning. I couldn't care less if Ridley gets in, but I don't want characters who are poorly designed. Can Ridley be put in and be well designed? I don't know, I've played like a third of a Metroid game (Zero Mission), I have no basis at all either way.
But if you find yourself needing to make the case that the character you want must be viable because it's okay to misrepresent characters so long as we jam more iconography into the roster and movesets, you should reconsider your position. At the very least, hold the character that you're advocating for to a higher standard and say that it can meet that standard rather than insisting that the bar is so low that there are very few cases that don't meet it.
To reiterate: I don't care about Ridley's viability and I'm also not arguing against it, I just want a well-made game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

However, keep in mind that Gorochu's idea was likely before Pichu ever got into fruition. On the other hand, the idea could be retooled into an evolution for something like Dedenne, with a new name too. It's highly unlikely to see a 4 total stages of evolution(Mega Evolutions not counting), as it goes against the series' design. Of course, who knows, it could be a one-shot idea that only applies to that line. I do think, Kanto remake or not, if new Pokemon are shown off, those concepts could be used~

ErenJager

Smash Champion
However, keep in mind that Gorochu's idea was likely before Pichu ever got into fruition. On the other hand, the idea could be retooled into an evolution for something like Dedenne, with a new name too. It's highly unlikely to see a 4 total stages of evolution(Mega Evolutions not counting), as it goes against the series' design. Of course, who knows, it could be a one-shot idea that only applies to that line. I do think, Kanto remake or not, if new Pokemon are shown off, those concepts could be used~
I really hope that those concept arts of scraped gen 1 Pokemon get used as the "New Pokemon".
I think that's just like a really awesome idea on Nintendo's part...
Like... they're revisiting Kanto... but it's a new game so they'll need some new Pokemon... well how about the original scrapped concepts... That way they're still sorta Gen 1 but also next gen...
I'm hoping so, sounds too good to be true though.

It would just be really neat to finally fill in the missingno data.

Pikachu could have a branched evolution line... sorta like eevee to a lesser extant... Raichu, alola Raichu, Gorochu.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The tags have been removed from the post as they were not contributing anything useful to this thread other than insulting other members at best.

This kind of thing will not be tolerated and next time will have a far larger punishment than an edit and a simple verbal warning. This applies to anyone trying to do the same thing. Keep it civil.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
In other news...

Resident Evil 7 coming to the Switch!

Pokemon Go does the Alola forms for Kanto Pokemon.

Probably way too big of a stretch to suggest Resident Evil representation in Smash 5.
But continuing with the Kanto Pokemon relevance topic... there's another bit of info.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I really hope that those concept arts of scraped gen 1 Pokemon get used as the "New Pokemon".
I think that's just like a really awesome idea on Nintendo's part...
Like... they're revisiting Kanto... but it's a new game so they'll need some new Pokemon... well how about the original scrapped concepts... That way they're still sorta Gen 1 but also next gen...
I'm hoping so, sounds too good to be true though.

It would just be really neat to finally fill in the missingno data.

Pikachu could have a branched evolution line... sorta like eevee to a lesser extant... Raichu, alola Raichu, Gorochu.
I like the idea of a branched line. This would make sure they don't go against the series' regular evolution rules but still be interesting. Maybe Gorochu could be a trade evolution as a nod to previous games. Where due to bad writing, trading a Raichu to an NPC will say their Raichu evolved. Alola Raichu maybe could use a different kind of Stone?

D

Deleted member

I'm kinda surprised so many people think Miis are gonna be cut. They're still being used in games, especially on the 3DS, so getting rid of them doesn't make much sense to me personally. Plus, they represent the Wii era of Nintendo, so they kind of serve the same purpose that characters like Duck Hunt, Mr. G&W and ROB do; they serve as a good rep for a certain era of Nintendo.

I personally don't see why some think they have to go, but eh, to each their own. I have characters I'd rather not see come back too.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Question, if there was a story mode in this new smash, would you rather have characters from nintendo franchises as bosses, or 100% original made up bosses?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Question, if there was a story mode in this new smash, would you rather have characters from nintendo franchises as bosses, or 100% original made up bosses?
Nintendo(and other 3rd party series) bosses first and foremost.

However, I think having some OC's is fine too. Brawl had a few nice ones, same with Smash in general. Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Giga Bowser, Tabuu, all great Smash originals. Master Core too.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I have no opinion on this particular argument and I'm slightly embarrassed by the side I apparently looked like I was on, but nonetheless "that isn't good reasoning" does not disprove my reasoning. I couldn't care less if Ridley gets in, but I don't want characters who are poorly designed. Can Ridley be put in and be well designed? I don't know, I've played like a third of a Metroid game (Zero Mission), I have no basis at all either way.
But if you find yourself needing to make the case that the character you want must be viable because it's okay to misrepresent characters so long as we jam more iconography into the roster and movesets, you should reconsider your position. At the very least, hold the character that you're advocating for to a higher standard and say that it can meet that standard rather than insisting that the bar is so low that there are very few cases that don't meet it.
To reiterate: I don't care about Ridley's viability and I'm also not arguing against it, I just want a well-made game.
Ah, okay. I mistook it for a defence of the argument we're constantly presented rather than a "I want characters to be well designed" opinion. My apologies.

History has proven a fair few times we're not going to get like for like on each of the newcomers from their original game to their Smash iteration.

Heck, I'm not even neccesarily AGAINST the admittedly weird out of character choices; Pac-Man and Duck Hunt were my favourite Sm4sh newcomers and some of the most fun (IMO anyway), but they clearly shoot the '100% accurate to source material" argument to shreds so watching people cling to it so stubbornly as if it's ironclad seems a little peculiar to me.

If Sakurai didn't care about it before...and especially with Pac-Man who I assume had Namco themselves helping with his moveset I fail to see what's to prevent Isabelle from picking up a Super Scope and murderlizing a few characters.

YoshiandToad YoshiandToad
I hate this notion that because a character can do something they don't do in the game, that it means we can just represent characters as poorly as we want.

That's a bit of an extreme example compared to Isabelle joining a fight, Captain Toad having a way around his jump(which he could do once upon a time in the Galaxy games) or Ridley being shrunk a smidge but I understand your point.

I feel similarly about King Boo as an often suggested character. His biggest trait is he's...ya know...a ghost and as a ghost he's intangible to physical attacks and can fly indefinitely. Having him being affected by gravity and being punched in the face is frankly weird.

My argument is this argument is pointless because past Smashes have clearly destroyed it so whilst people might not like it, you're going to have to get used to characters not being represented as 100% accurate in Smash. It's happened every single game to this point, and it'll happen again.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I like the idea of a branched line. This would make sure they don't go against the series' regular evolution rules but still be interesting. Maybe Gorochu could be a trade evolution as a nod to previous games. Where due to bad writing, trading a Raichu to an NPC will say their Raichu evolved. Alola Raichu maybe could use a different kind of Stone?
When I think about it, giving Pikachu branched evolutions makes some sense.
1) It already basically does because of Alolan Raichu.
2) If Eevee is Pikachu's counterpart for the new games, I guess it makes sense make more parallels between the two characters. As players may need a bit more incentive to choose Pikachu over Eevee as Eevee has far more evolutionary options.

Your stone idea, yeah possibly.
I've seen rumours/ speculation that Pikachu could take it's Alolan Raichu form when evolved on a southern island ie; sea foam, cinnibar, sevii islands. I thought those might be too late in the game, but then a user pointed out if it's a new rendition of Kanto, we don't know the order of appearance or if there is even an order.

I may be grasping at straws here, it's all based off Gorochu being stated in an interview, which is highly speculative on my part to think that the new Pokemon games will revisit scrapped prototypes. But the Pokemon company has mentioned the prototypes twice now.

To grasp even further, if Pikachu evolution is a thing in the new games... perhaps that garners some relevancy/ hope for Pichu's inclusion in Smash 5? Idk.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd probably prefer it be kept to the stuff they had in SSE with the bosses being the big bads from other Nintendo games with a mix of original bosses here and there. SSE to me was basically a Kirby game with a giant cast of Nintendo characters, which is why I loved it. I'd pretty much be happy with them legit just doing SSE again, just with tighter level design and more levels inspired by locations in Nintendo games.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I feel similarly about King Boo as an often suggested character. His biggest trait is he's...ya know...a ghost and as a ghost he's intangible to physical attacks and can fly indefinitely. Having him being affected by gravity and being punched in the face is frankly weird.
Reminds me of this Mario Party 8 minigame.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm kinda surprised so many people think Miis are gonna be cut. They're still being used in games, especially on the 3DS, so getting rid of them doesn't make much sense to me personally. Plus, they represent the Wii era of Nintendo, so they kind of serve the same purpose that characters like Duck Hunt, Mr. G&W and ROB do; they serve as a good rep for a certain era of Nintendo.

I personally don't see why some think they have to go, but eh, to each their own. I have characters I'd rather not see come back too.
It's because they were only half characters and couldn't be used online.
It doesn't have to do with their relevance/ recency.
They're hated for the same reason custom moves were hated.

Alternatively they could just be made into proper characters without the extreme customization.

Realistically they'll probably just return in the same capacity as they did in Smash 4.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Odd, my notifications say I've been tagged, but I couldn't find any tags in any unread post.

View attachment 145392
Same here. I was confused why I got this message

The tags have been removed from the post as they were not contributing anything useful to this thread other than insulting other members at best.

This kind of thing will not be tolerated and next time will have a far larger punishment than an edit and a simple verbal warning. This applies to anyone trying to do the same thing. Keep it civil.
...that explains. Thanks for clarifying! :)

I do wonder if Dark Samus even have a chance at this point? Brawl, she was pretty requested and there were people suggesting how her play style would be. Worst case she could end up being a clone/semi-clone at the last minute because they have similar sizes

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
To be fair, you could defeat King Boo with physical attacks in SM64DS. Both versions of 64 are rather much an outlier as far as Boos are concerned due to their being vulnerable to physical attacks, but still.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's because they were only half characters and couldn't be used online.
It doesn't have to do with their relevance/ recency.
They're hated for the same reason custom moves were hated.

Alternatively they could just be made into proper characters without the extreme customization.

Realistically they'll probably just return in the same capacity as they did in Smash 4.
Not enough people play With Friends, hence why there's so many people still thinking they were unusable online(which they are, just not With Anyone). And it's not the same reason as Custom Moves entirely. Custom Moves are hated on due to taking a lot of development time and being a pain to get them all. Miis are hated for lots of development time and because they can't be used fully in every potential mode. They have similarities, but it's not completely accurate.

Making them into proper characters would be making an all new character instead. Mii Fighter is an extremely specific set of 3 characters. If they want a Wii Sports Mii, they could make one, just change up the names a little(have the announcer say Mii in this case, and say Mii Fighter(or Mii Brawler, Mii Gunner, and Mii Swordfighter) instead of trying to remove an entire character to add a blatantly different one).

I was actually interested in a Wii Sports Mii myself. I'm more happy with the final outcome, but having its own moveset and be a different unique character is cool too. Just give 'em 8 normal costumes, with a default weight/height. There's more than enough generic designs to work off of. Of course, it might be smart to give them something to make sure they can't be easily confused with any Mii Fighter, which is the biggest hurdle in having both Miis and Mii Fighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom