• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Dark Samus has a chance if it reappears in Prime 4. Then, I think it'll be a Prime contender :smirk:

Sylux too, if his role is as influential as they make it sound. I could see his support rise tremendously because of Prime 4.

Ridley will always be highly requested, but am just not seeing it happening. The great request of a new Metroid character has already been answered with Zero Suit Samus. :4zss: And honestly, that was the best approach.
1: Dark Samus is canonically dead and the director of the Prime games said she's gone for good.

2: Dark Samus or Rhundas would have at the very least been better than Zero Suit Samus, don't kid yourself

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Yeah, Nintendo doesn't care about Miis anymore. That's why they are the main avatar of the player for Nintendo Switch. Because Nintendo's trying to distance themselves from Miis which they could have easily done by making new avatars or not having any.
Be sarcastic all you want, but when's the last mainline Nintendo game that used Miis?

Edit: I don't want Miis gone, I had so much fun making Ben Franklin and Mike Dawson fight the army of Nintendo, I'm just observing Nintendo's trend to move away from the Wii.

I mean, the Vurtual Console is dead for God's sake.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
1: Dark Samus is canonically dead and the director of the Prime games said she's gone for good.

2: Dark Samus or Rhundas would have at the very least been better than Zero Suit Samus, don't kid yourself
1. I didn't know

2. Absolutely not. Zero Suit Samus is actually playable fully, and IS Samus herself. Don't YOU kid yourself that the main protagonist isn't more important than those. :rolleyes:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
1. I didn't know

2. Absolutely not. Zero Suit Samus is actually playable fully, and IS Samus herself. Don't YOU kid yourself that the main protagonist isn't more important than those. :rolleyes:
But Samus is already the main protagonist of Metroid and was playable before Zero Suit Samus. It's like instead of Bowser or Luigi you get Sunshine outfit Mario or instead of Kirby but with a different moveset instead of Dedede or Meta Knight. Even then the Zero Suit makes no sense as Zamus is more athletic and stuff despite the Power Suit ENHANCING Samus' abilities. They had to make up the whole whip thing too. Dark Samus was at her Prime time back in Brawl so adding her would have made perfect sense

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But Samus is already the main protagonist of Metroid and was playable before Zero Suit Samus. It's like instead of Bowser or Luigi you get Sunshine outfit Mario or instead of Kirby but with a different moveset instead of Dedede or Meta Knight. Even then the Zero Suit makes no sense as Zamus is more athletic and stuff despite the Power Suit ENHANCING Samus' abilities. They had to make up the whole whip thing too. Dark Samus was at her Prime time back in Brawl so adding her would have made perfect sense
No. Because those versions of Mario wouldn't contribute to a new playstyle for Mario. Paper Mario would be a far greater comparison, and he's still heavily requested.

Yeah, Samus is heavily underpowered compared to Zero Suit Samus, and that's indeed a problem. But don't blame the character, blame the balance. Melee Samus was great for example. Probably on par with Brawl's Zero Suit Samus or just slightly worse. If they would balance both according to those appearances, all would be good.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Dark Samus has a chance if it reappears in Prime 4. Then, I think it'll be a Prime contender :smirk:

Sylux too, if his role is as influential as they make it sound. I could see his support rise tremendously because of Prime 4.

Ridley will always be highly requested, but am just not seeing it happening. The great request of a new Metroid character has already been answered with Zero Suit Samus. :4zss: And honestly, that was the best approach.
Zero Suit Samus was a start, but where does Sakurai go from there? Are we supposed to think that ZSS is the only other Metroid character we'll ever get?

If I understand your argument correctly, all three characters rely on Prime 4, right? If that's the case, wouldn't Ridley still be the only option that would make sense for Sakurai? Dark Samus and Sylux can't compete with Ridley in terms of iconicness and popularity (not to mention one of these characters has an unfortunate name that probably wouldn't look so good next to "Samus" and "Zero Suit Samus"). Yeah, there's technically nothing stopping Sakurai from adding someone like Sylux, but do you think he would purposely ignore the vocal majority and add someone far less requested than Ridley first? Don't you think that might be met with a large amount of criticism?

I think Sylux has a chance, but that depends on whether or not the roster he wants to be on already has Ridley.

osby

Smash Obsessed
No. Because those versions of Mario wouldn't contribute to a new playstyle for Mario. Paper Mario would be a far greater comparison, and he's still heavily requested.

Yeah, Samus is heavily underpowered compared to Zero Suit Samus, and that's indeed a problem. But don't blame the character, blame the balance. Melee Samus was great for example. Probably on par with Brawl's Zero Suit Samus or just slightly worse. If they would balance both according to those appearances, all would be good.
I don't think trying to balance characters to fit their canon power levels is a good idea, especially now two versions of her are separete characters. It's doesn't mean I would oppose to a few buffs to her, however.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Zero Suit Samus was a start, but where does Sakurai go from there? Are we supposed to think that ZSS is the only other Metroid character we'll ever get?
Diddy was also a start. Since then, there hasn't been an answer to more DKC characters. To be honest here, I also think the DKC cast allows for way more realisable, lovable and marketable characters than Metroid anyway. Ridley isn't really all that huge outside of (western) internet forums and the like. Not to compare the two franchises, but Metroid has been lucky to have gotten Zero Suit Samus, whereas Diddy was an absolute must, admitted even by Sakurai that his inclusion in Brawl was late.

If I understand your argument correctly, all three characters rely on Prime 4, right?
Metroid newcomers that aren't Ridley yes. Ridley on his own is of course heaps above the rest. He's just not realisable. Much like the Baby Metroid, Mother Brain or Kraid for example. All far more iconic to the Metroid franchise, but what about THEM being playable in Smash?

If that's the case, wouldn't Ridley still be the only option that would make sense for Sakurai? Dark Samus and Sylux can't compete with Ridley in terms of iconicness and popularity (not to mention one of these characters has an unfortunate name that probably wouldn't look so good next to "Samus" and "Zero Suit Samus"). Yeah, there's technically nothing stopping Sakurai from adding someone like Sylux, but do you think he would purposely ignore the vocal majority and add someone far less requested than Ridley first? Don't you think that might be met with a large amount of criticism?

I think Sylux has a chance, but that depends on whether or not the roster he wants to be on already has Ridley.
Sakurai has already included Zero Suit Samus in Brawl despite the enormous outcry for Ridley. Yes, I do see it as a possiblity. Just not for Dark Samus because of the very reasons you mentoined, as well as it being canonically dead and thus having no future in the franchise.

Sylux indeed has a chance, but it's far too early to estimate how much of a chance. Therefore I think comparing him to Ridley as of now is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Paper Mario is a completely different set of games than regular Mario games. Zero Suit Samus is Samus at the end of Zero Mission after getting ambushed and becoming powerless. Again, Dark Samus had perfect timing back in Brawl with Prime 2 being in shelves and Prime 3 on it's way, a antagonist who appeared in at least 3 games is better than "The character you get for like 15 minutes and we had to make up most of their moveset".
Ridley isn't really all that huge outside of (western) internet forums and the like.
Sakurai himself commented on Ridley's popularity, calling him "A highly anticipated character". So yes I think it's safe to say he IS that popular. Not to mention the Badge Bunny acknowledged his popularity for Smash for no reason as the Ridley badges were from Metroid 1.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Diddy was also a start. Since then, there hasn't been an answer to more DKC characters. To be honest here, I also think the DKC cast allows for way more realisable, lovable and marketable characters than Metroid anyway. Ridley isn't really all that huge outside of (western) internet forums and the like. Not to compare the two franchises, but Metroid has been lucky to have gotten Zero Suit Samus, whereas Diddy was an absolute must, admitted even by Sakurai that his inclusion in Brawl was late.
You're not wrong about DK characters being more marketable, but there's not much of a reason to compare the two aside from both series not getting a newcomer since Brawl. What happens to DK doesn't effect Metroid at all, and I can't think of any scenario where Sakurai would sit down and do something as strange as comparing the iconicness of characters from these franchises to each other.

Sakurai compares DK characters with DK characters and Metroid characters with Metroid characters. How Ridley stacks up against Dixie Kong is irrelevant.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Okay...

Hear me out....

Like really....

What if Sakurai....

Like, really, listen!

What if Sakurai just don't feel enough potential for Ridley, or truly think he have a better place as a boss character?

I say this as someone who want Ridley in Smash. I still hope he'll be here in Smash Switch. But I think that fan-moveset sometimes would look ridiculous in practice, and Ridley is the one where it shows the most. Sakurai probably have a good reason for not putting Ridley for Three smash in a row.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well yes, my arguements weren't exactly rock solid. But then again, I think overall marketablity and iconicness of a character DOES warrant a bigger chance of the character being playable. No matter what franchise they are from. No need to compare them indeed. But as far as Zero Suit Samus vs other Metroid characters goes; it's very easy to see why they chose her. A woman is scarce, tight clothing is gonna be more appealing than some monsterous entity, pretty much always. Plus, she's Samus herself and her introduction was based around a new mechanic ; the Final Smash.

That's all that I gotta say about the matter. I'd like for a Metroid newcomer to join the fray, but I just have my extreme doubts it's gonna be Ridley. I'd LIKE Ridley to become playable, but sometimes setting yourself up for a more realistic scenario is a way to avoid dissapointments. Take it from me, am a K.Rool supporter. :laugh:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay...

Hear me out....

Like really....

What if Sakurai....

Like, really, listen!

What if Sakurai just don't feel enough potential for Ridley, or truly think he have a better place as a boss character?

I say this as someone who want Ridley in Smash. I still hope he'll be here in Smash Switch. But I think that fan-moveset sometimes would look ridiculous in practice, and Ridley is the one where it shows the most. Sakurai probably have a good reason for not putting Ridley for Three smash in a row.
It doesn't mean a character can't be both (like Bowser and Giga Bowser in Melee) but I agree. Ridley now showed up as a boss two times in a row now, and in both games he really could showed off a lot of things only he can do. From the perspective of Sakurai, a playable Ridley might be like just a bigger and a harder to implement Charizard.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well yes, my arguements weren't exactly rock solid. But then again, I think overall marketablity and iconicness of a character DOES warrant a bigger chance of the character being playable. No matter what franchise they are from. No need to compare them indeed. But as far as Zero Suit Samus vs other Metroid characters goes; it's very easy to see why they chose her. A woman is scarce, tight clothing is gonna be more appealing than some monsterous entity, pretty much always. Plus, she's Samus herself and her introduction was based around a new mechanic ; the Final Smash.

That's all that I gotta say about the matter. I'd like for a Metroid newcomer to join the fray, but I just have my extreme doubts it's gonna be Ridley. I'd LIKE Ridley to become playable, but sometimes setting yourself up for a more realistic scenario is a way to avoid dissapointments. Take it from me, am a K.Rool supporter. :laugh:
Oh I'm not believing Ridley will happen until they show me themselves which is why I'm trying to surpress Vergeben's leak out of my head, I just HEAVILY object to the notion Zero Suit Samus was the best that we could get ignoring Ridley

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Okay...

Hear me out....

Like really....

What if Sakurai....

Like, really, listen!

Good you are looking at this realistically.

I also think Ridley isn't as much of a "character" in the Metroid franchise, he has motives yes, and there's of course the manga, but outside of that.. There's not much that really characerizes Ridley as more than a savage, yet cunning beast that has a link to Samus because of their shared past. Yes, Ridley started the plot of Super Metroid, which is arguably the most important game in the franchise, but what else is really there...?

Other M actually had the most "character development" of Ridley, seeing him "evolve" from the Little Birdie towards his final dragonic appearance. And even there, Ridley isn't portraited as more than just an insanely strong savage monster. So much in fact, it scared Samus to the very bone :rolleyes:

Intimidation really is Ridley's main character trait, and if he's to become playable, that part has to be highlighted the most. And yes, size would help a lot with that.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Good you are looking at this realistically.

I also think Ridley isn't as much of a "character" in the Metroid franchise, he has motives yes, and there's of course the manga, but outside of that.. There's not much that really characerizes Ridley as more than a savage, yet cunning beast that has a link to Samus because of their shared past. Yes, Ridley started the plot of Super Metroid, which is arguably the most important game in the franchise, but what else is really there...?

Other M actually had the most "character development" of Ridley, seeing him "evolve" from the Little Birdie towards his final dragonic appearance. And even there, Ridley isn't portraited as more than just an insanely strong savage monster. So much in fact, it scared Samus to the very bone :rolleyes:

Intimidation really is Ridley's main character trait, and if he's to become playable, that part has to be highlighted the most. And yes, size would help a lot with that.
To be fair, a lack of personality isn't necessarily a good way to judge a character's odds of getting in Smash.

It's not like Wii Fit Trainer got in because of a tragic backstory or anything.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
To be fair, a lack of personality isn't necessarily a good way to judge a character's odds of getting in Smash.

It is a little known fact that she used to have a normal skin pigmentation but was hit in the face with a volleyball by a fellow soccer mom named Susan. Susan's betrayal shocked her so bad she turned stark white.

Susan was the top Yoga instructor and fitness guru in town. Wii Fit Trainer swore that she would do everything to see that Susan was ruined.

And she succeeded skin discoloration and all.

Truly tragic. Truly beautiful.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I like Zero Suit Samus on the roster. To people unfamiliar with the series, it gives her a voice and face. It gives her a character. It fleshes her out. It shows she's more than just a suit.

Still want Ridley though.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Samus and Zero Suit Samus are the same character.
Zelda and Sheik are the same character.
Mario and Dr. Mario are the same character.

I wonder why Sakurai included these different versions of the character?
If this was true, we will have to include Paper Mario, Excallibur Sonic and Raichu.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

I think that's just purely economical. :4wiifit:

Also, Susan's betrayal. Damn ****ing Susan...

osby

Smash Obsessed
Samus and Zero Suit Samus are the same character.
Zelda and Sheik are the same character.
Mario and Dr. Mario are the same character.

I wonder why Sakurai included these different versions of the character?
If this was true, we will have to include Paper Mario, Excallibur Sonic and Raichu.
Samus: Probably to give her a cool and unique transformation. And Samus without her armor is pretty much a staple in Metroid.
Zelda: Same. Also Sheik was really important in OoT, and Melee took a lot from that game.
Dr. Mario: An easy clone was needed and Sakurai likes Dr. Mario music.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Just to be clear, personality is different from characterization. What you mention with "tragic backstory" is more of a characterization.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I'ma just put my thoughts from last night into a spoiler for the convenience of everyone since I'm terrible at condensing them.
Got to page 1055 and quite enjoyed what I read for the most part (if the amount of likes I gave wasn't obvious) since there was quite a bit of canon Ganon talk. Enjoyed the Zelda discussion too, both the character and the talk for the overall series. Was surprised to even see mention of Aganim-er Jerry having anywhere near the amount of iconicness or recognizability or significance or whatever to Majora's Mask's Skull Kid. Like, you actually see merchandise and references for that Skull Kid.

Anyways, something came to mind as I was reading last night and that's that people seem to be far more okay with negative opinions given towards stages, modes and game specific features than characters. Like, if someone voices a disliking towards Pac-Land or Smash Tour or tripping or l-cancelling, some disagree but overall, the conversation stays civil. But the moment it's brought up that the likes of Bayo, Cloud, Ryu, Corrin, Roy, Dark Pit, clones or third party overall, Wii Fit Trainer etc aren't liked and some people may not want them in the game, conversation turns sour and I see a lot of generalization thrown around too. "You're just a clone hater or you're just upset that the character you want didn't get in" rather than accepting that, ya know, maybe people don't have to like every character that gets put in and it could be for any number of reasons? To me, it's no different than showing dislike towards a stage or feature or mode or whatever. It's all part of the product and every consumer will have their likes and dislikes towards it.

And I get the whole 'people get attached to the character' thing either because they love the character from their base game/series or because they enjoy them specifically in Smash but I feel each individual consumer should be able to voice both their positive and negative thoughts constructively without getting generalized or lashed at or told to change the subject. This train of thought only came to mind from what little talk there was from what I read where people showed some disliking towards Sm4sh newcomers and many even mentioned getting used to and enjoying them over time.

Whole other topic but man, Sm4sh is my least favourite entry in the series and it even extends to the speculation aspect. Every entry of Smash has shown a bit of love for super recent games at the time like I'm pretty sure Pokemon came out not too long before 64 and Melee had Sheik, Roy and Pichu and Brawl had Lucas and Lucario but it wasn't until Sm4sh came out where people seem to focus way more on that stuff. Looking at Brawl specifically, I'm too lazy to check all of the different release dates but do people think the likes of Dedede, Meta Knight, Wario, Zero Suit Samus, Diddy Kong, Olimar and Wolf only got in because of whatever the most recent game was for their series or the series would have been left alone too long to warrant a character? Hope I worded that well enough to make sense. Yet now Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, Medusa, K. Rool and others are seen as unlikely despite whatever popularity or legacy they have because they haven't been prominent in a while? While at the same time we have a ballot with a list of characters at the top, new or old that can be considered purely because they're popular and fans want them in.

Doesn't effect me much since Meta Knight is already in Smash and I just gotta hope on Wolf coming back and Falco and Ganondorf aren't going anywhere most likely but it sucks to see people have passion for a character like Micaiah or Isaac or whatever a Fossil Fighter is or Masked Man/Giygas/Porky/Nintenholy****youMotherfanshavealotofoptions and to see every option seen as unlikely and not discussed much just because of recency. Meanwhile, gen 7 Pokemon, BotW champions, Funky, Rex/Pyra and even things that don't exist to the public yet like FE16 protagonists and gen 8 Pokemon are brought up a lot and I feel that's purely because of Sm4sh's newcomers and how that shaped peoples minds for how future installments will handle them.

Last thing for now but every time cuts are brought up, people defend unique characters by saying they have unique playstyles or they're super popular and defend clones by saying they're easy to make. So does that mean Pichu, Roy and Dr. Mario weren't easy enough to make for Brawl? Was Mewtwo not popular or unique enough? Were Squirtle and Ivysaur not unique or popular enough to get into Sm4sh? For Lucas and Wolf I can ask whether they weren't popular or unique enough while also asking if they weren't easy enough to make since they borrow some things from Ness and Fox. Also note that I left out Young Link who got replaced by Toon Link, Snake who's owned by Konami and Ice Climbers who we know caused issues for the 3DS. Fact of the matter is, we only know two reasons characters are cut and that's time constraints and technical issues. We know Roy, Doc and Mewtwo were planned for Brawl but they just didn't have the time, possibly due to Sonic's late inclusion. We also know Ice Climbers were cut since the 3DS couldn't handle them. Beyond that, we have no solid answer for why Snake or Wolf didn't come back or Lucas initially.
Debating playing catch up on my days off too so I can actually be part of current conversations rather than being nearly a month behind, especially since E3 is so close and I know this thread is gonna go crazy with activity as we get closer to it and after it happens. Speaking of which, any news so far or are we still being left in the dark until E3?

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
Reading over all the posts yesterday I saw a huge conflict between "Relevant Wii U Characters" and "Ballot Characters". In my opinion (Coming from a guy who scoured the web during ballot season) I thought there was a lot of overlap between the two. Just so were all on the same page, who would you guys would say are "Relevant Wii U Characters", "Ballot Characters", or Both?

Relevant Wii U Characters:
Gen 7 PKMN
Elma

Both:
Paper Mario
Toad
Waluigi
Daisy
Bandanna Dee

Ballot Characters:
K Rule
Isaac
Krystal
Geno
Banjo
I'd add Celica, Isabelle and possibly Gen 1 Pokemon and to the relevant section and move Toad there as well. Ridley could possibly go in the Ballot section along with some Brawl vets. Waluigi I'd stick in Ballot only, rather than Both, because he hasn't got anything hugely notable other than his glorious slew of memes in recent years. Daisy I would remove from the list entirely because she has all the same relevance issues as Waluigi (being utterly inconsequential) and barely a shadow of the popularity or recognised moveset potential.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
If there's an adventure mode, perhaps Sakurai and his team should include THESE:

HYNESS FROM KIRBY STAR ALLIES AND THE JAMBASTION MAGES.

What do you think about these characters? They are cooler to fit in a boss battle?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't feel that the personality aspect is a problem for Ridley, personality also comes through in how a character moves and attacks, and in that regard Ridley has a clearly defined identity, one which is distinct from the rest of the Smash Bros cast too. It's a problem for every other potential Metroid character, Sylux and Dark Samus might aswell just be robots or wireframes, but it's not a problem for Ridley.

I really do think that Sakurai has only ever had one major issue with Ridley, and that's the size issue. I don't even think it's so much about proportions as it's just the principle of scaling him down and taking away what Sakurai deems to be an important part of his character that's his stumbling block, and good luck making a Japanese developer go against his own principles. When we're talking things like potential, personality, relevancy, star power, he ticks all the boxes, in every other aspect he's a perfect inclusion, there's just one hurdle in his way that he so far hasn't been able to overcome.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
it's just the principle of scaling him down
I'm pretty sure he also mentioned "he might have been a little slow" and him not being able to fly freely. But other than that, you are right. How characters move seems to be a lot more important to Sakurai than their specials, to be honest.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Okay...

Hear me out....

Like really....

What if Sakurai....

Like, really, listen!

Not enough potential? A purple space dragon with claws, wings, a tail and fire breath isn't enough potential to create a moveset? And a heavyweight character who performs better in the air but is sluggish on the ground would certainly make for a unique plastyle

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm pretty sure he also mentioned "he might have been a little slow" and him not being able to fly freely. But other than that, you are right. How characters move seems to be a lot more important to Sakurai than their specials, to be honest.
Yeah, it all comes back to Sakurai wanting characters to really feel right, it's something he constantly emphasizes. Makes you wonder how he can accept the current Ganondorf, but I guess the one flaw of that philosophy is that it's hugely subjective.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I don't think trying to balance characters to fit their canon power levels is a good idea, especially now two versions of her are separete characters. It's doesn't mean I would oppose to a few buffs to her, however.
Inb4 they make Mewtwo a heavy. (The dreeaaaaaam)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Not enough potential? A purple space dragon with claws, wings, a tail and fire breath isn't enough potential to create a moveset? And a heavyweight character who performs better in the air but is sluggish on the ground would certainly make for a unique plastyle
Yeah. But if SAKURAI saw that potential, Ridley would have been playable. Don't you think?
Ridley fit all of the bills of relevance and what's not other weird Rules we see.
Yet He's not playable.

Sometime you need to be realistic.
Maybe we see a potential in it.

But maybe Sakurai doesn't.
We don't have the same perception of the world, we're all different.

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Yeah. But if SAKURAI saw that potential, Ridley would have been playable. Don't you think?
The reason Ridley isn't playable is because "if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer. It’d have to be shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly around freely." It has absolutely nothing to do with lack of potential or not. Really, I don't know how anyone would think he has a lack of potential, he's a goddamn space dragon. It has to do with both his size and balancing issues, as stated by Sakurai himself.

I don't think Ridley is going to be playable anytime soon, and to be quite honest, I agree with Sakurai's statement a good amount, but if you're going to make up claims about how Ridley isn't going to be playable, at least use the actual ones.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
too change the topic a little. something that strikes me as a tad odd is, why is such a well kept secret that namco is working on this title?

to the point that the ex namco employee who accidentally leaked that fact almost got treated like he would've leaked the entire roster? isnt odd? Is not like THE BIGGEST SURPRISE EVER, considering everyone was even assuming that namco bandai would been working on the game before the trailer. and namco bandai participation in Smash 4 is almost universally accepted as a good thing...

Is cause marketing want to imprint heavily the idea that this isnt a port? or is totally different from a port?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Don't give me PTSD of the infamous RIDLEY SHADOW please.
Not what he means. More that the character is heavily designed like a Smash character. Smash attacks, etc.

There's the idea he made some effort into it, but it just wouldn't work, and went with the Stage Hazard route. It's not unfounded, but the theory is really difficult to prove right or wrong since there's no real evidence either way.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Okay...

Hear me out....

Like really....

What if Sakurai....

Like, really, listen!

If the problem is just that he doesn't see potential, then I think that he should just do it and create Ridley anyway, he could let someone else on his team who sees the potential of the character work on Ridley in his place instead or something while Sakurai could focus on directing decisions for the other characters himself, I doubt Sakurai is literally the only person on the team capable of directing and guiding a Smash character's creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom