• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Personally I think they should drop equipment but keep custom moves, albeit tweak them so they're a lot more accessible. I don't wanna have to play Smash Run 6000 times just to get Yoshi's second down special.

Also allow us to use custom moves in All-Star Mode. Makes zero since to have em available for Classic and not All-Star.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Personally I think they should drop equipment but keep custom moves, albeit tweak them so they're a lot more accessible. I don't wanna have to play Smash Run 6000 times just to get Yoshi's second down special.

Also allow us to use custom moves in All-Star Mode. Makes zero since to have em available for Classic and not All-Star.
To be fair, All Star Mode is kinda meant to be the game's biggest challenge. Hence no items showing up during battles and even some stage hazards being turned off. Equipment would kinda mess with that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why are people hating on custom moves?
I do not use them myself, but I loved the idea of them.
I wish Custom Moves were not so hard to obtain all of them.
Am I the only one that thinks Custom Moves should be right there when you start the game instead of having to unlock them?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, Nintendo doesn't care about Miis anymore. That's why they are the main avatar of the player for Nintendo Switch. Because Nintendo's trying to distance themselves from Miis which they could have easily done by making new avatars or not having any.
Thank you. People need to stop acting like they aren't still being used. They aren't nearly as prominent as they used to be, though.

To add onto the online point, weren’t Miis allowed in some of the automatically scheduled official mini tournaments in Wii U’s online tournament mode? IIRC they were allowed in the ones that also allowed the use of customs. (How come nobody ever brings those up?)

Anyway, I hope Miis do return, with some tweaks to make them more balanced and more easily standardized for tournaments.
I don't remember that, but that's interesting. Source?

D

Deleted member

Miis are not getting cut at all.
There is no good evidence on why they are getting cut. Miis are still very popular in the Nintendo world.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Personally, I think they should drop the whole equipment set menu for most characters and have it all on the character select screen. This isn’t just for competitive; it would be far more convenient even for casual play as well, as you can switch out whatever moves you want without having to go back to the customs screen. Miis would still need a customs screen for costumes and hats, though.

In addition to being able to set custom specials, to replace equipment, there would be a simple triangle shaped selector with a peg in the middle. Each of the three points would represent power, defense, and speed, respectively; you can move the peg toward whichever stat you want to emphasize, at the expense of the other stats. Then, you could select one or two other bonus things, much like the bonuses some equipment parts had. This would let you have the fun of changing characters’ archetypes without being as unbalanced and without needing to go unlock all that equipment and whatnot.

These changes could be saved per character for each tag, so, if you have a favorite set for a character, you can use that tag and it’ll already be there.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Not really. People are still going to complain that Kirby doesn't have as much as Mario & Zelda, which is exactly what they say about Donkey Kong. So adding another newcomer to either of those IPs for that sake doesn't accomplish anything. And it's not a valid justification for adding Waddle Dee as a playable character
I never said Kirby series needs to have same amount of character as to Mario Pokemon, and Zelda... I'm just saying adding another Kirby character would not be that out of ordinary and it is actually a good choice in my opinion.

Why does Waddle Dee and Bandana Dee in particular needs justification?
No characters at this point are sure to be in Smash, it is just some speculation until the roster I set stone.

So don't ever consider Gamexplain's new video as a solid confirmation that Bandana Dee isn't suitable for Smash. The video's conclusion is a joke to say the least.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
To be fair, All Star Mode is kinda meant to be the game's biggest challenge. Hence no items showing up during battles and even some stage hazards being turned off. Equipment would kinda mess with that.
The whole reason why customization is banned from All-Star Mode is because there's some equipment that can sidestep the limited healing the mode provides.

I don't think this restriction should apply to custom specials, because unlike equipment there is no definitive "best", and because they're different from one another which is better than what depends on the player. If you work better with Warlock Blade than Warlock Punch, then you should be allowed to use Warlock Blade because you have integrated it into your playstyle.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I always did question that one Simon Belmont rumor just for the sole reason of Konami itself having rather controversial business practices, ranging from treating their own employees rather poorly to shilling out their IPs for quick cash grabs like with those pachislot tie-ins. Not to mention the whole situation with Kojima being kicked out and denied awards. That last one in particular might be a sour spot for Sakurai just because we know the two are friends.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Hey y'all, so I made a roster with this new supposed leak! And before you yell at me about how this CSS looks: I hate it, but it follows Sakurai's jank way of ordering the characters in 4 (I moved Yoshi behind Mario characters though, that ish bothered me). The 6 at the bottom are DLC.

EW.png

Luminario

Smash Lord
That said, if they cut 'em, they need to stay for Palutena and the Mii Fighters(none of these 4 characters are very likely to be cut, as they provide a lot of unique stuff for Smash in itself).
I wonder, if they do cut customs for all characters including Palutena, what would they do with her? Most of her customs are unique specials by themselves but her having 12 unique ones were one of her defining unique properties for Smash 4. I'm still holding out for the neutral B stance move that gives her access to more than 4 specials during a match, but besides that would they just look around at which 4 specials people liked most then give her those?
Hey y'all, so I made a roster with this new supposed leak! And before you yell at me about how this CSS looks: I hate it, but it follows Sakurai's jank way of ordering the characters in 4 (I moved Yoshi behind Mario characters though, that ish bothered me). The 6 at the bottom are DLC.

View attachment 145336
Ashley, Isabelle, and Mimikyu? All on one roster? Sold.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Thank you. People need to stop acting like they aren't still being used. They aren't nearly as prominent as they used to be, though.

I don't remember that, but that's interesting. Source?
You can see it here, a bit after 7:04; you can see that the bracket has a lot of Miis in it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I never said Kirby series needs to have same amount of character as to Mario Pokemon, and Zelda... I'm just saying adding another Kirby character would not be that out of ordinary and it is actually a good choice in my opinion.

Why does Waddle Dee and Bandana Dee in particular needs justification?
No characters at this point are sure to be in Smash, it is just some speculation until the roster I set stone.

So don't ever consider Gamexplain's new video as a solid confirmation that Bandana Dee isn't suitable for Smash. The video's conclusion is a joke to say the least.
I think you're missing his point.

Just adding Bandanna Waddle Dee for the sake of "Kirby needs another character" isn't a good reason in itself. He has merit and is a great idea. But that alone should be enough, not "cause we need more Kirby characters". Nobody should be added due to the silly reason of needing a character. They have their own merits. There's good reasons. Whether it's "ooh, we have time and this could be fun and interesting", while still thinking of how the character could overall add to the game. Even the clones fit this, as whether they're costumes first or unique ideas that work, each one added in Melee had merits as their own character too. Not a single one wasn't a reasonable notable character or at least were a fun idea presented(Roy is the latter).

I wonder, if they do cut customs for all characters including Palutena, what would they do with her? Most of her customs are unique specials by themselves but her having 12 unique ones were one of her defining unique properties for Smash 4. I'm still holding out for the neutral B stance move that gives her access to more than 4 specials during a match, but besides that would they just look around at which 4 specials people liked most then give her those?
This is why I can't see her losing the customs even if others do. It's her entire gimmick(and just so everybody remembers, when I say gimmick, I mean a unique mechanic specific to a character. It's just a more blatant term, in a similar way that people use the words 4th Party to mean non-game characters, despite being a clear fan-made term and not really that accurate, though gimmick is a proper term too).

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Ashley, Isabelle, and Mimikyu? All on one roster? Sold.
I assume they'd just keep Palutena's base moveset. Would be pretty bad for her character considering a lot of her customs are better but seems like something they'd do.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

View attachment 145336
Pretty close to mine. A little smaller which is probably more reasonable/realistic. I'd be super happy with this (I mean Ridley is on it so yeah).

I'm personally not ready to predict dlc lol. We have no clue how this game is being formatted and I'm honestly not sure we would even get the characters we "missed" like Rex, Pyra and Spring Man because that didn't happen with Inklings last time, or any dlc character last time really.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

View attachment 145336
God, I hope Mimikyu is in the game. He isn’t on my roster, but it’s only because I don’t want to get my hopes up to have them dashed upon the rocks.

I’ve never wanted to be so wrong in my life.

Mimikyu and Isabelle are my most wanted.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
This is why I can't see her losing the customs even if others do. It's her entire gimmick(and just so everybody remembers, when I say gimmick, I mean a unique mechanic specific to a character. It's just a more blatant term, in a similar way that people use the words 4th Party to mean non-game characters, despite being a clear fan-made term and not really that accurate, though gimmick is a proper term too).
I'd like to point out that just because something is different doesn't mean it's good.

Transformations were Zelda and Sheik's entire gimmick in Melee and Brawl and look where they are now.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Thanks to the lovely TumblrFamous TumblrFamous and @Megadoomer for offering to make rosters for me in light of my misfortunate of only having a mobile device at the moment.

I have a new, updated, and final (Pre-E3) roster! I know I posted one yesterday, but after careful consideration I made quite a few changes to it as some things were brought to my attention. I’ve also decided to go off the rumor regarding Simon, Ridley, and no cuts.

Here it is! Let me know what you guys think!
DDF2B810-9FA1-460E-BAC9-4065866A8D40.png

This is a post-DLC prediction FYI. Not base roster.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd like to point out that just because something is different doesn't mean it's good.

Transformations were Zelda and Sheik's entire gimmick in Melee and Brawl and look where they are now.
I disagree. This one's honestly great for her and makes her interesting.

Zelda/Sheik was a neat concept and a good idea, but badly executed. They were designed as basically two weak characters who were strong together.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Why get pedantic over how “reasonable” someone’s personal reason for a chracter’s inclusion is?

Whether I want Gooey in because I love him, or because he represents that mysterious and dark(Matter) era of Kirby when Shinichi Shimomura took over the series for a while (plus, Dark Matter is becoming more and more relevant to the current Kirby lore as well), or maybe because I just have a fetish for long tongues (or maybe a mix of all three :awesome:)...I really see no reason to debate about it.

Like please, half of y’all are still stuck on Geno getting in when he was a one-hit wonder that hasn’t been relevant in eons :seuss:. But I get that ppl have a strong connection to the char, and I won’t debate that with them.
I feel like too many ppl approach smash speculation and character predictions/desires like a science...

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Even if the character was in a previous game, the license still needs to be renewed because it would only exist for that one game.
If the 3rd Party company is friendly with the company making the game in any way possible. As is the case with Sega that should be obvious already, most of Capcom (No Marvel Vs. Capcom or non-remake/re-release Street Fighters on a Nintendo System for a long time. But they have support like much of the recent Megaman stuff and there's also the Ace Attorney series which for the exception of mobile re-releases and Phoenix being in Marvel Vs. Capcom once has dedicated itself exclusively on Nintendo systems), Bandai Namco (Who even helped make Smash for crying out loud), and Platinum Games (Makes Bayonetta exclusively for Nintendo since the 2nd game on Wii U, not to mention is owned by the already mentioned very Nintendo friendly Sega).

Not sure that's as much as big of a deal. What exactly does Nintendo lose/give up on when renewing the licenses if most of the 3rd Parties from Smash 4 return that's all that costly anyway?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I disagree. This one's honestly great for her and makes her interesting.

Zelda/Sheik was a neat concept and a good idea, but badly executed. They were designed as basically two weak characters who were strong together.
I mean that's fair, but I personally really disliked the idea. I guess it made sense for Mii Fighters since, yknow, they were Miis and were the epitome of the customization in Smash 4, but then you have Palutena who... has different customs for whatever reason. Why does she have completely different customs when everyone else doesn't? Why doesn't everyone else have this feature? Why doesn't she have simple variants of her moves like everyone else?

I suppose I just never really saw it as a "definitive character trait" like Ryu's different sets of neutrals, Little Mac's KO Punch, and Cloud's Limit Break, as it wasn't integrated into her playstyle proper. Couple that with you not being able to use her, imo at least, better customs in some modes (like the aforementioned All-Star Mode) and how it completely screwed her over when customs ended up being banned from tournaments and you can see how I grew to dislike the concept.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Renewing the license isn't super cheap, of course, but they need to do it for any new game unless a deal was made previously.

Now, if Sakurai already was doing a later game and had this planned during the DLC phase? He could've easily licensed the DLC 3rd parties for the new game as well. Of course, he'd need new ones for the Base game, but that's not that much. In fact, this could partially explain why Cloud and Ryu got a fairly small amount of content too. Bayonetta was extremely on friendly terms with Nintendo, to the point of basically promoting her, so that's obviously less costly.

I mean that's fair, but I personally really disliked the idea. I guess it made sense for Mii Fighters since, yknow, they were Miis and were the epitome of the customization in Smash 4, but then you have Palutena who... has different customs for whatever reason. Why does she have completely different customs when everyone else doesn't? Why doesn't everyone else have this feature? Why doesn't she have simple variants of her moves like everyone else?

I suppose I just never really saw it as a "definitive character trait" like Ryu's different sets of neutrals, Little Mac's KO Punch, and Cloud's Limit Break, as it wasn't integrated into her playstyle proper. Couple that with you not being able to use her, imo at least, better customs in some modes (like the aforementioned All-Star Mode) and how it completely screwed her over when customs ended up being banned from tournaments and you can see how I grew to dislike the concept.
That's fair. I think the point of Palutena's customs was more to have different playstyles. This doesn't apply to any other characters(Miis aside, technically). Whereas for Miis, it was a necessity to represent any kind of fighter you want, to some degree.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
It's kind of interesting how people are quietly updating prediction lists to include Simon Belmont. That would be awesome, but is there any reason to actually believe that rumor?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Like please, half of y’all are still stuck on Geno getting in when he was a one-hit wonder that hasn’t been relevant in eons :seuss:. But I get that ppl have a strong connection to the char, and I won’t debate that with them.
I feel like too many ppl approach smash speculation and character predictions/desires like a science...
Roster arguments like this are the literal worst because it's all what people want and no respect for other's opinions.

"If you don't want Bandanna Waddle Dee then you're a stupid scum**** who hates boring characters!"
"But he's got a spear tho don't forget the ****ing spear!"

EDIT: not saying that I don't want Bandanna Waddle Dee, that's just the first example that came to my mind.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So after doing Smash speculation research today, I have come to a point where I feel content about my predicions.

Expect my finalized prediction roster to come on June 1st. It will not only have my roster image, but also have in-depth explanations as to why I chose a certain newcomer. It will have other things such as newcomers that were so close into being in my predictions, explanations for having no cuts, clarification on the "extra" characters, etc.

I still need private feedback from other people first, so that is why I made my finalization into a 10-day limit. It is going to be bittersweet when I do finish it, as someone who has been researching Smash Switch speculation for more than 2 whole months now. I hope my research pays off. And I hope in-depth, good feedback and discussion comes from posting it. :estatic:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
It's kind of interesting how people are quietly updating prediction lists to include Simon Belmont. That would be awesome, but is there any reason to actually believe that rumor?
The Vergeben leak is the most credible leak right now(besides the Ex-Namco worker one), although it's only because he himself actually posted some leaks that were true in the past with some misses in there as well. But there's also the interview Sakurai did with Nomura where he mentioned how Zelda and Castlevania were big impacts for him.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
The Vergeben leak is the most credible leak right now(besides the Ex-Namco worker one), although it's only because he himself actually posted some leaks that were true in the past with some misses in there as well. But there's also the interview Sakurai did with Nomura where he mentioned how Zelda and Castlevania were big impacts for him.
Gotcha.

Not sure what to make of him or his track record myself, but Simon (or any Belmont) would be great IMO.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
So after doing Smash speculation research today, I have come to a point where I feel content about my predicions.

Expect my finalized prediction roster to come on June 1st. It will not only have my roster image, but also have in-depth explanations as to why I chose a certain newcomer. It will have other things such as newcomers that were so close into being in my predictions, explanations for having no cuts, clarification on the "extra" characters, etc.

I still need private feedback from other people first, so that is why I made my finalization into a 10-day limit. It is going to be bittersweet when I do finish it, as someone who has been researching Smash Switch speculation for more than 2 whole months now. I hope my research pays off. And I hope in-depth, good feedback and discussion comes from posting it. :estatic:
Is there a need for all the dramatic in-depth analysis and such? It seems a tad unnecessary.

I just think of what is likely/what I want and put it on a roster. Worked out okay in 4 for me.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
If they just gave Palutena some QoL buffs her base kit would be solid. She should get a new side-tilt but the rest of her kit is fine for what it is. Giving her super speed and flight like her customs do would make her a less hard Bayonetta. Why anyone would want that is beyond me. Her base kit is easy to balance and decent on its own.

EDIT: I like Simon's second look better honestly. Might be weeb bias but the original design looks like a really awkward cartoon character.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Roster arguments like this are the literal worst because it's all what people want and no respect for other's opinions.

"If you don't want Bandanna Waddle Dee then you're a stupid scum**** who hates boring characters!"
"But he's got a spear tho don't forget the ****ing spear!"

EDIT: not saying that I don't want Bandanna Waddle Dee, that's just the first example that came to my mind.
Well I definitely don’t advocate for that, but it’s just as annoying seeing someone go like, “Oh I wanna see Waluigi”

And then see 30 ppl rush in to perform their best Phoenix Wright impression to “prove” how wrong the “X” char supporter is

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
If they just gave Palutena some QoL buffs her base kit would be solid. She should get a new side-tilt but the rest of her kit is fine for what it is. Giving her super speed and flight like her customs do would make her a less hard Bayonetta. Why anyone would want that is beyond me. Her base kit is easy to balance and decent on its own.
Just give her Explosive Flame, Jump Glide, Lightweight, and Super Speed. And faster tilts, and I would enjoy her much more.

I get why they made that her default roster, but for someone that usually played online, her moveset was a total drag. Professor Palutena surely needs some kind of rework to her specials at least.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Is there a need for all the dramatic in-depth analysis and such? It seems a tad unnecessary.

I just think of what is likely/what I want and put it on a roster. Worked out okay in 4 for me.
Well, I love speculating in-depth the most for fun. I get how you would not understand how it would be emotional from my perspective though. Writing analyses has that satisfying feeling to it when I finish each newcomer's chances of getting in Smash. I have done it for 2 months that closing my predictions feels like the end of an era, haha! :p

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Smash5simonridleyleakRoster.png
Well other people are doing it and caving into peer pressure is cool right? Here's my "if the leak is true" prediction roster. More characters than I usually guess at, around 75 i think mattering to how you count miis, i usually go for 65-70 but part of this leak is that there are no cuts and they are going for the "ultimate" smash roster.

That said, I brought everyone back except pichu and young link as I think all the veterans scored high on the ballot and would have to be part of the "ultimate" end all roster. Squirtle and Ivysaur are back along with Eevee. yeah that a lot of pokemon reps, but if we are going back to kanto with a yellow remake satring pikachu/eevee I think this actually makes sense all things considered and two are just returning vets, much easier on the design team. I do think eevee has an amazing evolutions mechanic potential and i also think gamefreaks would have pushed sakurai to use him so i think it fits, again if the leaks are true. If simon is happening I expect Snake is returning and again with an ultimate roster and konami being involved AND the smash ballot... my guess is if the leaks true hes back along with most of the other cut veterans and going to konami was initially to GET snake back to satisfy the fans (as veterans seemed to universally score higher than anyone else on the ballot from the numbers ive seen people tally). Ice Climbers of course returns with the leak but again if we are bringing everyone back Wolfs back too once again due to the ballot and making the "ultimate" roster.

A lot of long time fan requested characters show up here, if ridleys in and we are going for pleasing the fans than dixie, k rool, waluigi, toad, waddle dee, simon, and geno are all highly requested characters and have been for a long time. Maybe im being biased with geno but i really think his time is now and that newcomer splash image his mii costume got... it just seems too fitting if everyones returning we still have square and cloud and if the ballot and the mii costumes were more of a tease for this next game, characters like geno and k rool and of course inkling all feel highly likely here and should be part of that ultimate fan roster. i dont think its absurd for DK to get two reps and dixie and k rool both seem highly requested and worthy. waluigi upgraded from an assist trophy and even when he was revealed as an assist trophy sakurai seemed to hint at "playability" and him not quite making the cut, with mario aces around this time it just feels right to have him in reping the sports games.

some of the odder choices, sakurai always throws curve balls with wtf reps and retro reps etc... I got chorus kids here for two reasons 1. they were already worked on for smash 4, this we know, and im guessing it was the same reason ice climbers were cut they didn't make it so heres the opportunity for that rhythm heaven rep (chorus kids or someone else) we know sakurai meant to add and 2. they got found out about and thus when it came time for the ballot they had fans, so sakurai might feel obligated to give us what he tried to give us in smash 4. Then theres takamaru, i just honestly just cant think of a better retro rep, a samurai is unique seems like the type of series sakurai would want to "revive" and its actively gotten more attention in the last few years than ever before. balloon fighter/excite biker are possible along with a few others (i like the hanafuda and labo idea but im wary of "guessing" at either for various reasons).

for really new reps we already got inkling but i also put in rex/pyra, i just have them both as some form of character as i dont know much about xenoblade but what i do know is sakurai said something about liking the new game, we have the series already established so a very new character may have been chosen while both games were still in development (unlike say, ARMS where i feel sakurai will "wait" to see the series staying power and it was too early to choose a brand new IP for a character spot).

Zelda i didnt add new reps for but i do think link and probably zelda will get overhauled with BOTW stuff so that might be enough to feel as though the series got attention. probably classic link/zelda alt costumes and maybe an impa alt costume for sheik? same with keeping alph and probly adding a toadette alt for captain toad, heck add daisy or anyone else who they could make work that way, i think alt costumes will be big this time honestly.

nothing new for FE i think after getting complaints of "too many reps" and no cuts this time plus corrin getting in at the end of the DLC, FE can sit tight right how it is and feel ok in this new roster that balances out a few series (metroid,dk) without any new reps for fire emblem. same for kid icarus, earthbound etc... i just think these series are where they should be. Animal crossing could certainly get a new rep but somehow i feel sakurai barely warmed up to the idea of villager so i think he'll see that as enough of a fighter rep and characters like isabelle and nook are better suited to assists and stages etc... thats just how i think sakurai sees the series not my personal feelings.

So thats my prediction as of right now with the leak, im open to criticism as i just took the leak and followed where it could go logically step by step. Also this would be the BASE roster which would be nuts considering DLC is basically a given, so theres a few other characters like rayman i think are highly likely but i found tough to find space for but still think they'd make it in by the end of it all. Also speaking of Rayman, i think its likely more third party characters could be added from companies like namco getting more reps or even an indy rep (shovel knight) but its just so tough to guess at those and i think like last time many might be saved for DLC as they tend to be pretty hype and will get people paying for em.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
What if, with characters that have different characters as costumes, Kirby gets a different hat after inhaling them? For example he gets a pink parka hood after inhaling Nana, the male WFT's hair, different hats for each Koopaling, and Alph's hair and nose.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I think you're missing his point.

Just adding Bandanna Waddle Dee for the sake of "Kirby needs another character" isn't a good reason in itself. He has merit and is a great idea. But that alone should be enough, not "cause we need more Kirby characters". Nobody should be added due to the silly reason of needing a character. They have their own merits. There's good reasons. Whether it's "ooh, we have time and this could be fun and interesting", while still thinking of how the character could overall add to the game. Even the clones fit this, as whether they're costumes first or unique ideas that work, each one added in Melee had merits as their own character too. Not a single one wasn't a reasonable notable character or at least were a fun idea presented(Roy is the latter).
Bandana Dee to some extent is notable in its own series, and when it comes to another Kirby rep, there no other Kirby character that's a better choice besides Bandana Dee, in my opinion at least.

The readon why Roy was included I think it was because Sakurai enjoy Roy's Fire Emblem game, but at the end of the day...
We never know who has the highest chance to be in Smash at this point, we will see characters that are super obvious, mind blown ones, and definitely those that will make a lot of people mad. You will never know.

Pakky

Smash Hero

View attachment 145336
Love the Rayman and Mimikyu additions

However and this is just, in general, I just think at least one Pokemon is getting cut and one will take its place. I just can't see them going over 6

Can they? Yes! but why haven't they yet, or why do people assume they will?

I know Pokemon is big, but like 8 just seems to be entering that "Woah is this smash or Pokken?"

This is a subjective opinion, but it's just weird that they cap the available amount of pokemon at 6

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Just give her Explosive Flame, Jump Glide, Lightweight, and Super Speed. And faster tilts, and I would enjoy her much more.

I get why they made that her default roster, but for someone that usually played online, her moveset was a total drag. Professor Palutena surely needs some kind of rework to her specials at least.
Look man, I know why you like those customs, and I do too don't get me wrong, because they are hilarious. But they would absolutely not be hilarious if they were her base move-set. If they were a part of her base move-set she would either be stupidly busted or bottom tier because they would have to nerf her to dirt. Those customs are great for casual play, but they would ruin Palutena for players that actually use a characters tools effectively. (I'm guessing this may come across as narcissistic but I really don't mean it that way. Some people don't want to "optimize" their party game play and that is OK.)

I never play online personally. The input lag and obnoxious opposing players just make it a waste of time for me. I can't imagine what mostly playing online is like so I can't really comment on that bit.

I thought so too for awhile but I know they can make her current specials work just fine with some adjustments. Warp is too good to lose. Her Reflect wins matchups. Counter sucks....but they could just buff it and then it would be a good counter. If they took away any special I would want it to be counter tbh. Autoreticle I've grown fond of. It's "bad" but does its job very well and can be used in jablock strings. Autoreticle's "badness" can be fixed with a small rework, anyway. I've thought up at least 3 solid fixes for autoreticle in the past.

I won't be surprised if they do swap her specials for her customs, but I really hope they don't. Bayonetta at least has the SDI excuse. Palutena wouldn't because you legit can die in three hits in super speed + lightweight.

Once again, I get it. Palu's customs are fun. But so is Bayonetta.... for the person playing her at least.

EDIT: I'm not hating on Bayo, btw. I'm using her as a reference point for what Palutena would become, except worse. Bayo has to read DI and really learn all of her combos to make them work against good players. Palutena can 0-death in three friggin' hits with her customs online. It's actually disgusting.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Seeing quite a bit of hostility/passive aggression today...easy everybody...don't make Old Man Jones come back :troll:.

So here's something I've been thinking about today...let's say Smash Switch started by transferring the Wii U roster over and building balancing as they went with new characters.

Now, here's the catch. Let's say the game launches with the Wii U Roster, +10 characters. The E3 presentation then goes on to reveal that Smash Switch will follow the same routine as Splatoon and ARMS. By this I mean, the game will update once in awhile with new, free content in the game. This would include newcomers, Mii Fighter costumes, stages, etc. Every month or two, we'd get new characters for roughly a year.

What do you think?
I'd love to see it happening, but I believe they'll follow the DLC path again, pretty sure they turned in a nice profit with SSB4, don't think they'd change it now :/

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
So am I the only one who thought of the way to get Ridley into smash?

Just make his :GCU::GCB: include temporarily growin wings and you're (kind of) set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom