• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgelord_197

Smash Cadet
I share the feeling that I'm excited to see what this incredible roster is, but to be fair, that statement of hers is entirely subjective. Just because she loves it doesn't mean we will. I hope she has a good enough understanding of the general public and it is pleasing to most, though.
Hope it isn't an MVC Infinite moment where the leaker assumed the roster would be amazing because of one character, but in actuality the roster was crappy.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Not exactly sure if Emily Roger is the most reliable source, considering:
She seems to be able to get pretty accurate information in terms of Nintendo hardware, likely from a Ubisoft-based source, considering she leaked Mario + Rabbids as well.
However, in terms of software, she has nowhere near a good track record. Smash Bros. isn't hardware, so take this with a truckload of salt, at the absolute least.

Hell, even in the case she did have a good track record, the statement of "Nintendo wants Switch's Smash Bros. to be the "Ultimate Smash Bros." game is such an incredibly safe and vague thing to predict. Like, does Nintendo want Smash 5 to be bad or something? Of course they want the latest game in their series to be the best one yet.
Her most recent stuff has been legit though. She's on a bit of a "win streak".

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I think it's hard to say people will "jump out of their seats" with the Smash roster since people never can agree on what constitutes in a good Smash roster, aside from it being a really vague claim.
Say, I know I and some other people hated Cloud in Smash, but I know a lot of people loved him and think he was an out of the blue pleasant surprise.
This time around, say, Ridley is in, many people would love it, but there would still be quite some people that think he looks dumb resized or whatever.
Plus, when Smash rosters leak, they're always polarizing in opinions. Remember SSB4?

Emily has a nice track record overall though, so I'm paying attention on her comment regarding few/no cuts

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
It's pretty unhelpful information anyway. This statement isn't even a' wait and see what happens' kind of situation as who decides whether or not we the people are 'jumping out of our seats'.

And to predict hype as the result of a Smash Bros announcement? Pshhh talk about a safe bet.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
All this suggests to me is the newcomers should provide some exciting additions for many fans. This is mostly Emily's reaction, not ours, so take her opinion with a grain of salt, if this is true, anyway.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Who is Emily?
Where did she say that comment?
Who am I?
My feet are cold
Why is Emily?! :p

But in all seriousness, I'm just doing what I'm going to do normally with statements like these: Hype responsibly, then panic about the fact assignments are almost due and I've only three weeks left of Uni work to do.

Roberk

Smash Champion
At least we can keep ourselves occupied with all of these leaks, E3 season is really starting to pick up. General speculation with nothing but an Inkling confirmation has gotten really dry and cynical lately.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
At least we can keep ourselves occupied with all of these leaks, E3 season is really starting to pick up. General speculation with nothing but an Inkling confirmation has gotten really dry and cynical lately.
Think of it this way; after we see gameplay and the demo, imagine how crazy it'll get with the datamine, and for that matter, if we get more leaks later with more useful information(pictures, sounds, videos, etc.)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Hey guys, listen now.

The roster is going to be... big.

That's it. That's my leak.

(Haiku leaks)

Roberk

Smash Champion
Think of it this way; after we see gameplay and the demo, imagine how crazy it'll get with the datamine, and for that matter, if we get more leaks later with more useful information(pictures, sounds, videos, etc.)
Oh yeah, I can't wait for some confirmed gameplay and stuff. The little information we have right now has let our imaginations run wild, but that's not always a good thing. It could be anything, but most everything is wrong. Only once we have some set boundaries will the speculation get really interesting.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Here's something I want to see in the new Smash game - more a huge content refresh for certain series'. I love to have a complete overhaul to breath some life in the DK series, the Star Fox series, the Kirby series, the Metroid series and even the Zelda series.

These are pretty big names in the video game world, but I feel that the are poorly represented in Smash - not necessarily through characters, just content in general, be it interesting stages, plenty of items or character personality or feeling flat in the game.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I think it's hard to say people will "jump out of their seats" with the Smash roster since people never can agree on what constitutes in a good Smash roster, aside from it being a really vague claim.
Say, I know I and some other people hated Cloud in Smash, but I know a lot of people loved him and think he was an out of the blue pleasant surprise.
This time around, say, Ridley is in, many people would love it, but there would still be quite some people that think he looks dumb resized or whatever.
Plus, when Smash rosters leak, they're always polarizing in opinions. Remember SSB4?
We could always see it from her perspective. What kind of games or series does she enjoy?

Don't mind me I just wanna speculate hard tonight, boys.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I'm afraid of a roster that would make people "jump of their seats".
It probably means that third party characters are a big portion of the newcomers, and while one or two would not be bad, a roster that would make me personally jump of my seat is one with new Nintendo characters on it.

Well, at least I bet on Mickey...
If something gets too out of control I have a chance of scoring a point in the betting game I made with some friends.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
It probably means that third party characters are a big portion of the newcomers, and while one or two would not be bad, a roster that would make me personally jump of my seat is one with new Nintendo characters on it.

If something gets too out of control I have a chance of scoring a point in the betting game I made with some friends.
Same.
A roster with like Crash, Spyro, Belmont, Snake returning, Shovel Knight etc would definitely make most people go nuts, while I would be severely underwhelmed
While say, adding Elma, Mike Jones, Ridley, Skull Kid and Saki would make me and a number of people really happy, but definitely wouldn't be this general "jumping out of seats" she's probably alluding to (unless if she's talking about diehard Nintendo fans)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Anyone have any Smash 5 related dreams yet? I dream’t that I was at Target on release day to buy the new game, and my friend showed me a gameplay trailer where Mewtwo and Mario had a bunch of new moves! And then I woke up, and was slapped with the reality that i still have to wait many more months till it actually releases. :confused:
I've only had three Smash related dreams ever, honestly.

The first one was back in 2011 after Smash 4 was announced for Wii U and 3DS. My dream had them instead release it with GBA styled graphics to over-accommodate the 3DS, Starfy was playable, and Mewtwo was in the trailer but not in the game, and Sakurai said in an interview that the trailer shouldn't have been taken as an indication of what was in the game.

Second dream was around E3 2014 and, looking back on it, may have been an omen lol. Chrom got confirmed...but he was wearing a hat, cargo shorts, a Kiss-the-Cook apron, and socks and sandles, wielding a garden hose. The splash art said "Suburban Dad Chrom Grills the Competition" or something. I just remember being confused.

Final dream happened late this March. I walked into an oddly abandoned building and there were about fifty amiibo on the floor. Then they all started bleeding their colors onto the floor and all the paint moved to a wall, where the paint turned into a projection of a Nintendo Direct. Dream!Me didn't think this was weird at all. They announced Zelda would use her Breath of the Wild design, and then announced a newcomer...Breath of the Wild Zelda as a separate character. Yes, alongside updated veteran BotW Zelda. Only the newcomer was styled as a Fire Emblem Troubador (used a magical healing staff on horseback). Then the dream ended.

Long story short whenever I have a Smash dream there's always some weird catch.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
What we should do to check Emily's legitimacy regarding this is have her tell just one person what she knows, and then that person can say whether or not she was right later.

Don't worry guys, I'll take the bullet on this one. That way you all can live on in blissfully unaware hype till E3. :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What we should do to check Emily's legitimacy regarding this is have her tell just one person what she knows, and then that person can say whether or not she was right later.

Don't worry guys, I'll take the bullet on this one. That way you all can live on in blissfully unaware hype till E3. :p
Haha, that's brave of you, but other people already know at least some of what she knows.

D

Deleted member

What happens in the Backroom stays in the Backroom.
:mad088:
I thought you were working for the @Illuminati instead. :troll:

Also why is everyone viewing Spyro as more likely or talking about him? Because that remade got conformed? That was before Sakurai decided the roster. Also Spyro is a potential third party, but I do not see the team adding him over other bigger choices like Crash Bandicoot or Bomberman.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
You'll get Corrin and Camilla with all her FE Heroes alts, its happening.

As much as I want to believe, yeah, its seems like a very safe prediction to make by making it vague in its wording. Holding out for at least this to be partially true.
What is wrong with :4corrinf:? I want no cuts, and in fact I think they should add more FE characters.

I know people are saying there is too much Fire Emblem characters ( Sakurai even said it himself in one interview with Corrin ), but I think if more newcomers come in, it is okay to add at least one or two FE characters.
Oh I’m absolutely fine with more Fire Emblem (even as the Kirby series stays underrepresented at 3 :,[. Pls give us at least Bandana dee and some antagonists/rivals like Marx, Magalor, or Galacta Knight to name a few) but Corrin specifically makes my blood boil.

Their voice acting is trash, their win quotes are trash, and I can‘t stand their design (competitively speaking). There were so many things overlooked...Instapin alone should raise a million eyebrows LOL.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Anyone have any Smash 5 related dreams yet? I dream’t that I was at Target on release day to buy the new game, and my friend showed me a gameplay trailer where Mewtwo and Mario had a bunch of new moves! And then I woke up, and was slapped with the reality that i still have to wait many more months till it actually releases. :confused:
I had a dream that there was a new character trailer and I was all excited, but it turned out to be the sandbag from home run contest. It had a headband made of suasages and a baseball bat that was kind of just floating veggie tales style. I was very disappointed until I woke up.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Pssst. Hey you, listen!

The middle line has seven

syllables, not nine.
Haikus should not be
Seventeen syllables and
Hitting Enter twice

I do agree that it might actually bode very poorly for us unless it's Ridley or something. What is Sakurai got some Metroid people to make him a design he could use in Smash? Only slightly different from the Sheik situation.

It seems like Emily meant well, but doing the right thing also meant not doing anything actively helpful.

Edit: And my haikus should/avoid being meta while/failing at counting

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I had a dream that there was a new character trailer and I was all excited, but it turned out to be the sandbag from home run contest. It had a headband made of suasages and a baseball bat that was kind of just floating veggie tales style. I was very disappointed until I woke up.
Not sure why that sounds dope

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Also why is everyone viewing Spyro as more likely or talking about him? Because that remade got conformed? That was before Sakurai decided the roster. Also Spyro is a potential third party, but I do not see the team adding him over other bigger choices like Crash Bandicoot or Bomberman.
Personally, I have fond memories of Spyro. I imagine that it would be a dream come true for mamy to have him in Smash.

Regarding likelihood, I think that Rayman, Crash, and Bomberman are more likely than Spyro, but that there's a real possibility of both Crash and Spyro being included if the company gets involved.

Last edited:

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
What is wrong with :4corrinf:? I want no cuts, and in fact I think they should add more FE characters.

I know people are saying there is too much Fire Emblem characters ( Sakurai even said it himself in one interview with Corrin ), but I think if more newcomers come in, it is okay to add at least one or two FE characters.
Can't speak for everyone in that boat, but for me it's less "Too many Fire Emblem characters", and more that I dislike everything about Corrin. Not in Smash, her design isn't anything special but it's fine (haven't even bought her tbh), but in Fire Emblem. Genuinely one of my least favorite characters in gaming history, I would CUT my favorite characters in Smash to get her out. Does that scenario make sense, no, but I'd still do it!

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
She claims that the additions to the roster will make people jump out of their seats and that a lot of people will be happy. She's basically saying it will be the ultimate roster.

Edit: I have no reason to doubt her. She was the one who hinted Retro Studios' game.
could you provide the link to that? haven't been on smashboards all day.

edit: nvm found it.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I had the absolute strangest dream a few weeks back where, of all people in media, real or not, Danny Devito joined Smash, basically mashing up all kinds of different scenarios from his roles.

Needless to say, I haven't watched Always Sunny since.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Sooooooo, should we trust Emily Rogers on this or not?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Sooooooo, should we trust Emily Rogers on this or not?
Well she didn't reeeally give us a ton of information. And whether the roster makes you "jump out of your seat" or not is entierly subjective, so I don't think her rumor can be confirmed one way or the other unless she gives specifics.

Its very possible she knows something we don't, though, and it shouldn't be written off as a false rumor.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Anytime a third party game is confirmed to be on Nintendo Switch, suddenly they're likely. Even if Super Smash Bros has been in development years before it.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Well she didn't reeeally give us a ton of information. And whether the roster makes you "jump out of your seat" or not is entierly subjective, so I don't think her rumor can be confirmed one way or the other unless she gives specifics.

Its very possible she knows something we don't, though, and it shouldn't be written off as a false rumor.
Right, it can be subjective.

While some characters like say Geno or Ridley would make people hyped, it could be seen as anti-hype to others.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Right, it can be subjective.

While some characters like say Geno or Ridley would make people hyped, it could be seen as anti-hype to others.
It really kind of makes it a non-leak.

She's pretty much saying 'oh I know who's in the new Smash Bros. but ya'll have to wait until the 12th of June sorry.'.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
And if she doesn't give specifics, she can either say "Told you!" when it happens, or "Well I liked the way it looked" when it backfires and there's nothing crazy. At no point can such a ambiguous rumor be proven "wrong"

I think the only thing that could potentially be proven wrong is that she said there won't be many, if any, cuts. But again, she didn't give specifics. Maybe 3 cuts isn't a lot to her, maybe 5 cuts isn't a lot to her. There's just nothing of substance here.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
You know you've gone stir crazy from the lack of news when you find yourself thinking that Goku could actually be viable because Sakurai wants to use him as a hype mechanism.

Who have I become?

I used to be so rational.

At least I'm still Radical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom