• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
And Hitagi said to me about the Game Awards as well...

I asked about the reveal rumored at the Game Awards and she said:

"uhhhh"
"i heard there was something"
"but i didn't hear if it was true and if it was true who it would be"

"i mean it would make sense"
Our boi Graizen going above and beyond the call of duty.

beans

Smash Lord
This isn't related to this post in particular but I'm tired of the "who taught you how to fight?" scene being used to argue that Chrom should be a Lucina Echo.
In Awakening, they both have different stats and animations, nothing they do is actuaply similar other than being Lords wielding Falchion. Just because someone taught you how to fight, doesn't mean you'll fight exactly like them.
Silly Shish, Lucina would be the echo, since she used her Sharigan to learn the exact fighting style of her dad.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Well it aint Jack Frost, so I guess that just shows how unknown Demi-fiend and SMT protagonists in general are.
I thought you were referring to the character in the picture you posted, friend.

Making Ken an alt for Ryu is like making modern Luigi an alt for Mario
That's why I noted they at least gave Ken some of his distinct moves so he's a special case.

Listen, too much anime is just too much sometimes

We're talking about Smash, here. The same where Ness and Lucas have less moves they actually use in their own game versus the ones others do.

Roy grew up to become a man and developed his own style.
Then damn it, let Roy USE HIS OWN STYLE.

As for Ness and Lucas, I concede that's totally correct. But with that in mind, you don't put a side character in before the main one, and Ness and Lucas exist more to represent the Mother franchise as a whole than to represent themselves.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
This isn't related to this post in particular but I'm tired of the "who taught you how to fight?" scene being used to argue that Chrom should be a Lucina Echo.
In Awakening, they both have different stats and animations, nothing they do is actuaply similar other than being Lords wielding Falchion. Just because someone taught you how to fight, doesn't mean you'll fight exactly like them.
Yeah I don't think they need to be Echoes of each other or anything. It's just that lore-wise they have a reason to have similar fighting styles.

Some of the FE characters in Smash are what you'd call fluff, but they "deserve" to be there as much as anyone else. Chrom for example was highly requested and was relatively less work than other characters as an Echo fighter. I think that's reason enough if it makes Chrom fans happy.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Bringing someone in because of their gender is dumb. Also, even still, if polls are anything to go off of, nobody in Japan is asking for her still.
I have terrible taste though, since I only play as females

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
>uses "most popular"
>references a female-only contest

I hope you like Hector.
Luckily we also got the male contestants.
C4MQzfAWYAAyUub.jpg

Hector's the most popular male lord not in Smash, so ya got that.

And this is as high Roy will ever get on any tier list.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Fire Emblem Newcomers concept:
-Black Knight: heavily armored swordfighter, slow but strong and would be the first villain from the series.
-Hector: Axe-based moveset with electric effects. Most popular character not represented in Smash and would bring a new weapon type to the game.
-Sharena/Fjorm: Lance-based moveset. While the concept is the same, their fighting styles would differ a lot and Fjorm has access to ice powers. Regardless, they're interchangeable here as the idea is for a lance wielder.

Literally no one ever asks for anything ever again.
Considering Chrom was going to be a Marth echo that got replaced by his own daughter in 4...
:4ness: oops
Except... he wasn't? Sakurai said he envisioned Chrom as a mixture of Marth and Ike which is exactly what Roy became after he came back. Lucina was always meant to be the Marth alt/Echo too.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I really thought this "clones steal slots" mentality was over but I guess I was incredibly naive.
I don't think people are complaining that slots are being stolen, just that having three clones of Marth is redundant.

Though, while Echo Fighters have solved the problem of making people think that the low-workload clones/Echoes are "stealing" slots from full fighters, it did create a new problem where now there could be considered competition between Echo Fighter candidates in and of themselves. I was worried that people would start complaining that Dark Samus got in as an Echo Fighter instead of Shadow.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I noticed that a lot of mentions I've gotten on my break was about my opinions on Sora's chances so I'm going to go ahead and point out why that probably is.

Sora is a miracle. A character that exists for the sole purpose of being the crossover character between Square's World of Final Fantasy and Disney's Magical Kingdom. He's a character that exists as the bridge between those two. As such both parties have a say so in where he goes. So, if we're going by the usual Square Copyright fiasco, that means they'll have to contact ALL of the copyright owners of Sora the design artist, the concept artist, Nomura, and Disney. Now that's where it comes to a head. Let's say they do get the approval for Sora's inclusion to all the owners sans Disney. They're on the right track but when Cloud was seemingly as big of a deal to get as he was, having all the right parties come together to make it happen, it's surprising that Sora would even make it that far.

But then, there is Disney. I've said this before. We're not talking about a little studio that can get things done. We're talking about the BIGGEST entertainment conglomerate in the world. This is a company that has multiple representatives from multiple aspiring companies today that come offering mega tons of money and percentages of their stock in the Hope's to even get a tiny licensing deal for their product. This is NOT something that Nintendo will do. Not only do they not need Disney characters to sell a product they're stock is also not at all worth giving up to a larger company. But this is something that Disney REQUIRES. If you're coming to ask Disney for something you better have something SUBSTANTIAL to give. Now you may say, what about Thanos in Fortnite? Well, that one is simple. Marvel is Marvel. Marvel is owned by Disney but Marvel still does it's own thing. On top of that, Marvel has never been an incredibly hard company to work with. A more reasonable people sit at Marvel than at Disney. What about Wreck-It Ralph in Sonic and All-stars Racing? Well, it's a lot easier to ask something from Disney if they are asking you for something first hence why Sega probably threw out the idea of Ralph in Sonic during negotiations. Disney was making a VG movie so they went to get VG characters, Sonic one of them. If the timing had been any different, if the movie wasnt coming out, if that game was coming out later, it wouldn't have happened. I've taken law and business classes since I started college as a back up in case my dream job of being a Director didn't work out. I can safely say that if Sora happens. If the stars align and Disney decides to drop their guard. If Square somehow gathers everyone to approve if this happening on top of that. It will be a business miracle. People don't realize that just because two people said they were ok with it means that he can happen without a hitch. No. It still has to go up the Disney Corporate Ladder and if it isn't making them a LOT of money, in their eyes, they're losing money. That's just how Disney is.

There IS a slim, SLIM possibility of Sora happening but if I'm being logical. Using my education. It doesn't seem all that feasible. Could it happen? Sure. Anything is possible. Probable? Not in the slightest.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
What would Crono’s stage be? I didn’t finish that game, I couldn’t bring myself to kick anyone out of my party because I liked Robo and Frog and everyone, and I got OCD about the “narrative”, and then I forgot about it lol

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Vergeben has said he hasn't heard anything about a character reveal at the VGAs, no official confirmation or deconfirmation though.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Aaaand...

She was very positive about Crono from Chrono Trigger... (She likes him)

Thats it.
Thats all i have for today.
I think that might just mean they like Chrono Trigger. Could be one of the Seven Names, maybe even the top three but if they mentioned the VGAs might be a thing then it aligns perfectly with SpawnWave and Sora.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What would Crono’s stage be? I didn’t finish that game, I couldn’t bring myself to kick anyone out of my party because I liked Robo and Frog and everyone, anf got OCD about the “narrative”, and then I forgot about it lol
Hmmm

I dunno, maybe the bridge after Crono escapes from jail?

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Vergeben has said he hasn't heard anything about a character reveal at the VGAs, no official confirmation or deconfirmation though.
A character reveal at TGA makes no sense to me. Ultimate comes out the day after. I doubt we'll get any new information before the game comes out.

It's more likely we'll see a new game reveal at TGA, like Metroid Prime 4 or something, than a character for a game that already has sufficient hype and a DLC character announced and on the way.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Fire Emblem Newcomers concept:
-Black Knight: heavily armored swordfighter, slow but strong and would be the first villain from the series.
-Hector: Axe-based moveset with electric effects. Most popular character not represented in Smash and would bring a new weapon type to the game.
-Sharena/Fjorm: Lance-based moveset. While the concept is the same, their fighting styles would differ a lot and Fjorm has access to ice powers. Regardless, they're interchangeable here as the idea is for a lance wielder.

Literally no one ever asks for anything ever again.
But even if we get all that, people will still ask for more, since that's human nature to want more :p

D

Deleted member

Silly Shish, Lucina would be the echo, since she used her Sharigan to learn the exact fighting style of her dad.
Man, Naruto lore got wack ever since I stopped following it
I don't think people are complaining that slots are being stolen, just that having three clones of Marth is redundant.

Though, while Echo Fighters have solved the problem of making people think that the low-workload clones/Echoes are "stealing" slots from full fighters, it did create a new problem where now there could be considered competition between Echo Fighter candidates in and of themselves. I was worried that people would start complaining that Dark Samus got in as an Echo Fighter instead of Shadow.
I still think it's silly to remove something that barely costs resources just because it's redundant. You make more people happy with these characters in rather than without them.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Rotating protagonists or not, it doesn't really matter when they just copy/paste the moveset of the old onto the new and call it a day...
Robin is a fantastic addition that changed how I perceived it's representation in Smash. Corrin, as much as I hate them, at least has elements that make them distinct.

Even echoes like Ken and Daisy show off their personality through their animations and voices, but all the Fire Emblem clones just sound... the same! Bored, never showing emotion, same neutral expression on their face. If they were more expressive, and more unique, I wouldn't have a big problem with them, but the fact they have little to no character distinction is the biggest problem I have. To me, Lucina and Chrom are nothing more than glorified skins. And it's not exclusive to them - Pit and Dark Pit have the same problem, as do Richter to Simon. At least in those cases, the roster isn't padded out with more than two each. What I don't get is why Fire Emblem, which owes the majority of it's success in modern years to Smash, gets to just keep adding more and more fluff to a roster already packed with characters with much more color and liveliness. Have a look at Pokemon - each 'mon on the roster (sans Pichu) is completely different - they're also a franchise with a revolving cast of relevant 'mon. So why just keep padding with minor touches on the same tired old formula.

Hell, bump it down to just Marth/Ike/Robin/Corrin and I'd be totally fine with it (and I like Roy, but I get he doesn't bring much distinct to the table.)
Personality wise FE characters may not be the most extreme, but of you know the characters you can sort of see the differences, albeit they're a bit subtle. Roy completely feels different from Marth now, though. Lucy and Chrom are freebies.

Anyway I think part of the reason - nah I'm certain that the reason we have so many FE characters right now is because
1) Everyone is Here
2) Fan Demand (People really wanted Roy back in 4)
and
3) Echoes are an easy way to squeeze in certain characters.

If this Smash game was handled any differently I'm sure we'd see a cut or two.

D

Deleted member

A character reveal at TGA makes no sense to me. Ultimate comes out the day after. I doubt we'll get any new information before the game comes out.

It's more likely we'll see a new game reveal at TGA, like Metroid Prime 4 or something, than a character for a game that already has sufficient hype and a DLC character announced and on the way.
But what if Geoff Keighley is DLC? TGAs would be the only acceptable time to announce the Dorito Pope himself.

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
K, hitagi just said that we may never know who the Namco and SE rep are till release, that’s pretty exciting

osby

Smash Obsessed
How many characters Fire Emblem should have is pretty subjective, so I'll say something objective: We're all going to die someday and life is too short to complain about clones.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Crono is my second most wanted SE rep, so I'd be really happy if they got in.
Square Enix has been doing NOTHING with the series though, though there may have been a reason why it didn't appear on the SNES mini...
Crash and Spyro were notably absent from the PS mini, maybe SE is working on a remaster or something?

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
It seems like there are still a few stages that haven't been seen yet in the demo, even though we know all of them. Unless the footage hasn't been recorded.

• Dreamland GB
• Great Cave Offensive
• New Pork City (only seen in E3 demo)
• Big Blue
• Midgar
• Mario Bros.
• Mushroomy Kingdom
• 75m
• Port Town Aero Drive
• Skyworld
• Hanenbow
• Green Hill Zone (actually, I think there is footage of this, but I can’t remember for sure)
• PAC-LAND
• Gaur Plain
• Duck Hunt
• Flat Zone X
• Pictochat 2
• Magicant
• Mushroom Kingdom U
• Palutena’s Temple
• Windy Hill Zone
• Wuhu Island

Status
Not open for further replies.