• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

Alpha Dash

Smash Ace
yeah because I'm doing it through a gaming shop I have to get the dates available we already have the venue. Tournament rules are the usual London monthly rules, I may do pools as well depending on the set ups and turnout. They should be giving me the date as of this week.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Anyone want to MM me?

btw brad is at mine will and he says he wants to come next week :) you two should both go and drag Cal along.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
It depends Alpha Dash, if i booked 3 weeks in advance it costs like £14 return, but since im booking a week in advance for this its costing like £28 return, i hope my next payment is VERY soon, hopefully today so i can book today.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
jesus christ i envy your cheap travel
ive got a driving smasher here now though, so anything he can go to means we go to them
although any tournament in central london is going to be a giant ***** to get to in a car

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i know that, ive done it many times
i was talking about AD's potential venue, i bet its gonna be so hard to get to

Alpha Dash

Smash Ace
Yeah sure, How much?
a quid or two

It depends Alpha Dash, if i booked 3 weeks in advance it costs like £14 return, but since im booking a week in advance for this its costing like £28 return, i hope my next payment is VERY soon, hopefully today so i can book today.
fair enough. well i'll let you know asap when my tournament is.

i know that, ive done it many times
i was talking about AD's potential venue, i bet its gonna be so hard to get to
its really not...

Heartstring

Smash Legend
cool, where in london is it?
if i get to drive down there, i wont want to have to buy petrol and then pay for tube travel too -__-

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Aight im gonna book tommorow, the legendary Cong is housing me.

Btw about the secondary event, do u guys wanna do doubles or low/mid tiers, i dunno if there will be enough for doubles.

KI7

Smash Rookie
Ayo, Ive been in England for two weeks now.
Id love going to the SF at the 24th but it is very expensive and far. So it would be only worth it, if some cool guy could house me after the SF to Sunday or even the whole weekend.
Just want to ask, I dont even know atm if Ill really have time.

For those who dont know: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308383
Now I could probably make it, but I need housing from Sa to Su...
Is there really no one? Im an easy and chilled person.

Btw now Im also RunnerUp in the German PR even though Im not really that good yet.

Jolteon

gp, croydon is not in central london lol

@k17: try contacting fuzz, or maybe AC can house you. I can't house people anymore due to my current living conditions :/

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Any idea on who's going to have recording equipment at this tournament as I would like to record some of my amazing Roy MM's with certain people who I wish to bring shame to :awesome:.....and of course I guess we have to pay attention to the tournament :ohwell:

ALSOOOO Alpha Dash's tournament will undoubtably be the easiest tournament to get to in terms of travel...everyone knows where London Victoria station is, from there you get a fast train to East Croydon which literally takes like 15 mins and it's like a 2/3 min walk from there to the venue.

DOUBLE ALSOOOOO does anyone have any good ideas on where to get normal Non-HD TV's from, apparently Gumtree is good but Dujuan doesn't know how to use it and Fuzzy apparently wasn't giving him help so if people could say on here it would help.

Other then Gumtree though any other suggestions???

FabulousGeorge

Smash Apprentice

FoxoF

Smash Cadet
Can someone give me an estimate of approximately how long it takes from arriving at St Pancras Train station, to arriving at the venue. Me and a friend are interested in coming, but I will be short on time on sat. Ive read the instructions etc, but need to know how long it all takes altogether-ish.

Also, if anyone can tell me the approx cost, again from St Panc to the venue (underground/bus tickets etc).

Thx so much for whoever helps me out, youre awesome

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Hello Mr Proffessor Pro but I would like to money match your Roy for £1 if that would be possible, a best of 3 set would be fine. Im very technical at this game, more technical than Silent Wolf if I do say so myself. I think I will win the Super Smash Bros Melee tournament with ease.

Jolteon

Can someone give me an estimate of approximately how long it takes from arriving at St Pancras Train station, to arriving at the venue. Me and a friend are interested in coming, but I will be short on time on sat. Ive read the instructions etc, but need to know how long it all takes altogether-ish.

Also, if anyone can tell me the approx cost, again from St Panc to the venue (underground/bus tickets etc).

Thx so much for whoever helps me out, youre awesome
Hey, first of all, here is a very useful website when it comes to finding out the travel length/route of journeys throughout London: www.tfl.gov.uk

Anyway, according to that site the journey takes about 45 minutes (including the wait for trains), the 128 bus from Gants Hill comes every 10-12 minutes and the bus journey from there takes 15-20 minutes iirc (I haven't taken it in a while @_@). The underground trains come very frequently, usually every 3-5 minutes. So use that information as necessary to judge a time where you should leave.

FoxoF

Smash Cadet
Hey, first of all, here is a very useful website when it comes to finding out the travel length/route of journeys throughout London: www.tfl.gov.uk

Anyway, according to that site the journey takes about 45 minutes (including the wait for trains), the 128 bus from Gants Hill comes every 10-12 minutes and the bus journey from there takes 15-20 minutes iirc (I haven't taken it in a while @_@). The underground trains come very frequently, usually every 3-5 minutes. So use that information as necessary to judge a time where you should leave.
Hi Jolteon, thanks so so much for your help and information you wrote, it will help me plan my time...hopefully I will be able to make it.

Me and my friend were interested in joining in the doubles too (as well as singles), we will therefore hopefully arrive for the start, but are likely to leave earlier, maybe around 5, or slightly before. Would we still be able to take part in doubles? (as in would we be able to fit in a few games, or does it start later?) Bear in mind we are not THAT good, so probably wont progress all the way to quarter finals or anything :p

Jolteon

Providing you arrive for registration, you can enter, but please be aware that we can't refund you once the bracket starts if you have to leave. Doubles is the first event we run, so you should be fine.

FoxoF

Smash Cadet
Okies, thx again for the info.

If I leave at 5ish, do you think I can realistically take part in singles and doubles (il probably only make 1/2 rounds, if that). Judging from your experience?

ddiz

Smash Journeyman
lol last time i was there i had to leave by half past 5...i didnt finish my pools match :(

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
lol last time i was there i had to leave by half past 5...i didnt finish my pools match :(
that is absolutely terrible! I can't believe some pools matches were still going on at half 5.

People need to remember that tournament matches need to be played- no excuses. If your playing a friendly or a mm then you need to reset and let the tournament match get done. If people don't do this then it's gonna finish ridiculously late which is pretty crap, especially for people like me that need to leave a fair bit of time to get home.

Lets have no more getting stoned outside that stalls the tournament as well, which I hear is still going on

J03

Smash Master
Lol London tournies have always been messy. I say me, you, TC, AD and pro step up to make sure things get done.

Unless this thing has more then 40 ppl theres no reason why pools cant be finished in 2 hours

heres the maths, say 6 people per pool = 15 sets per pool. so between 30-45 games (average 37.5), max game time = 7/8 mins (average 4/5 mins).

So max time is 45x8= 360 mins = 6 hours

average time is 37.5x5= 187.5 = 3 hours 10 mins (roughly)

these calculations are based on a SINGLE TV, so assuming each pool has 2 or 3 tv's its going to take on average 1 hour to 90 mins for all pools to be done. therefore the notion of it taking more then 3 hours is ridiculous

ddiz

Smash Journeyman
that is absolutely terrible! I can't believe some pools matches were still going on at half 5.

People need to remember that tournament matches need to be played- no excuses. If your playing a friendly or a mm then you need to reset and let the tournament match get done. If people don't do this then it's gonna finish ridiculously late which is pretty crap, especially for people like me that need to leave a fair bit of time to get home.

Lets have no more getting stoned outside that stalls the tournament as well, which I hear is still going on
gt4 was not exactly the best event :c

J03

Smash Master
I heard unreal has gotten much better recently, good ****. Do you want a MM? i wanna play everyone and see how i stack up these days

Also if we had 40 people with 10 pools of 4 it would take 75 mins on average with just 1 tv per pool (ten tv's)

If 50 people and 10 pools of 5 it would take an average of 125 mins to complete all the games with just 1 tv per pool (again ten tvs)

How many tv's are there likely to be and what rough number of entrants do these monthlies normally get?

I'm just saying that with 40 people and 20 tv's then theres no reason why pools cant be done in an hour

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
@ Bullet Bill - It takes less time to smoke than go and get something to eat inbetween matches, which a lot of people do.

:phone:
People shouldn't be getting anything to eat when it's gonna hold them up either. That I can at least understand though, you need to eat. What bothers me is if people are outside getting stoned and making the tournament finish late at night. Put simply- if you want to hang out and get stoned, thats fine, but when it's a smash event then it gets a bit rude

J03

Smash Master
Top seeds

Pro
Fuzzy
VA
TC
AmcD
Tamoo
J3ly
AD
Jo3
L-J

2nd seeds

Deathgazer
Yeniths
Chrisboi
Ben
Gantz
Jam
Unreal
Swizzy
Wiggum
Clockmire
Duncan

an extra seed in case of flake. I'm sure there will be a few changes as I've been out for a year, especially with the 2nd seeds. I've not put Edwin in as he's gonna flake

Any input?

gm jack

Smash Lord
Unreal and Deathgazer would deserve a top seed. They both placed 5th at the last tournament, outplacing a lot of your top seeds.

I'm also better than a few of the second seeds, as are people like PMS and King.

Jolteon

Lol London tournies have always been messy. I say me, you, TC, AD and pro step up to make sure things get done.

Unless this thing has more then 40 ppl theres no reason why pools cant be finished in 2 hours

heres the maths, say 6 people per pool = 15 sets per pool. so between 30-45 games (average 37.5), max game time = 7/8 mins (average 4/5 mins).

So max time is 45x8= 360 mins = 6 hours

average time is 37.5x5= 187.5 = 3 hours 10 mins (roughly)

these calculations are based on a SINGLE TV, so assuming each pool has 2 or 3 tv's its going to take on average 1 hour to 90 mins for all pools to be done. therefore the notion of it taking more then 3 hours is ridiculous
I agree with this actually, things have kinda gotten slack. I'm thinking we should go back to numbering TVs and I also think we should have a warning/dq system.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Top seeds

Pro
Fuzzy
VA
TC
AmcD
Tamoo
J3ly
AD
Jo3
L-J

2nd seeds

Deathgazer
Yeniths
Chrisboi
Ben
Gantz
Jam
Unreal
Swizzy
Wiggum
Clockmire
Duncan

an extra seed in case of flake. I'm sure there will be a few changes as I've been out for a year, especially with the 2nd seeds. I've not put Edwin in as he's gonna flake

Any input?
Don't take this the wrong way but you and Alan should be 2nd seed at best. Remember that seeing should be done either 100% results, or as much as is possible. It's the only way that it's fair

Heartstring

Smash Legend
tv nubmering should have always been in
while im here, i think i should mention that brawl is probably going to have a good attendance this time round, maybe even pools will be needed again, if so we're gonna need a few more tv's. brawl seems to get left with the ****ty ones all the time. particularly as a lot of brawlers wiis need to be on ntsc
be bros and share gaiz XD

Top Bottom