• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

smash lessons by M2K

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Instead of donating (i don't think ppl would do that anyway *Shrug*), I have a better idea for myself. I travel a lot, because of tournaments and nationals that I go to. Would people be willing to pay me for lessons? I think I am going to calm down on smash a lot after this year, but I'd rather put my knowledge to good use while at the same time work myself out of this situation. I can do it from a few hours, to staying over for a few days. The only time I can see myself being able to do this is over the summer however, as I am going back to college around August/Sept. I don't think I will be able to do this for too long, because when I go back to college I am staying with that for a while in 1 location. If anyone is interested send me a PM.

I gtg for now I will check this thread way later tonight though. this is most likely the only time i'll be doing this since I'll prolly take off college again for this summer one last time

edit - PM me for more info I am making a list of where people live

I travel to big tournaments a lot. Melee + Brawl combo tournaments are by far my favorite since I play both games.

If people are willing to pay my plane ticket to these places (or give me a Buddy Pass to get there or something like that) I will train them for free for a few days and/or maybe even team with them if they wanted. I don't have set in stone rules or anything but I will definitely give fair compensation for those acts of kindness since that would really help me out.

Marshallmallowlol

Smash Cadet
I'd be willing to pay.. gosh, I would love lessons from Mew2king.
I mean though, how much money are we talking?

CY

Smash Ace
coaching has a really big market in Starcraft 2, with some rates going as high as $150/hr. idk how smash will do compared to SC2 but good luck lol.

ADHD

Smash Hero
LOL. It might be worth it for me to have the best pocket metaknight ever. I still owe you 300 dollars jason, but i'd like to win something before I give it to you so I'm safe in terms of traveling money.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
why don't you, you know, teach people for free and then collect 10% of those persons winnings next time assuming they win or at least place in the money.

just straight up asking for money in advance won't get you as much I guarantee it and it isn't being as helpful to the community

ADHD

Smash Hero
why don't you, you know, teach people for free and then collect 10% of those persons winnings next time assuming they win or at least place in the money.

just straight up asking for money in advance won't get you as much I guarantee it and it isn't being as helpful to the community
His metaknight textbook is really worth it imo, look who he told what to do and look what happened. Most of those metaknights became top players.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Ripple, I have taught people for free for 7 years straight. 7 years :/. Due to niceness between splitting with people constantly (many thousands, can't estimate exactly but many thousands totaled), money being stolen (about 3k worth), TOs not paying out (about 6k worth), people not paying me back from loans (around 3k worth), and just pure bad luck (about 20k worth, mostly fighting Mango super early at evo world because it wasn't seeded and the MLG Dallas ban are the biggest 2), my situation right now is not great. As a result of all of these things, I am now in my own bad financial situation. This is a way that I can make some of the money back that was cheated from me, but also helping out people in smash at the same time. It's mostly a donation thing but I will try my best to help you guys out as well. It's the best idea I could come up with.
edit - also yeah @ Adhd i have had long discussions with pretty much every top mk player during my quest to be the brawl best

i am not the bad person that everyone perceives me as, I am quite the exact opposite I usually go out of my way to help people even though thousands(not hundreds, thousands) of people have asked me over the past years. Ask people that have known me personally for a very long time :/. This is the best idea I can come up with to get my money back from people that would like to help me. I hope I can get a lot of interest in this so I can regain financial stability.

Ally - I already have a way for you to recover a lot (a few hundred) of the money you lost from this, or at least save it. I will talk to you privately on aim.

if you guys are interested, and I really hope to get a lot of interest in this (it would really help me out financially to recover from this) just send me a PM

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Taken the details from the OP and combined it with one of the donation threads for a general donation thread. Figure that way both the donations and your offer of teaching don't overshadow the other.

bleyva

Smash Ace
is this character-exclusive? would you be willing to tutor Ganon/Falcon/other ****ty character mains?

HotWings

Smash Ace
I would love to be taught in melee, i main falco and am considering alting c.falcon. Now how are you wanting to do this (sorry if im being a bit slow) like are you wanting to meet a whole bunch of people somewhere this summer and you be our teacher for a few days? Or are you wanting to do it online by you just talking to us live?? Again sorry that im not understanding it correctly.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
u don't have to do this if you don't want to. no one is forcing you. I am just in a really bad money situation and this is the only way I know that I can make up for some that was cheated from me. Over time, many instances like this add up. This is the best idea I could come up with.

I don't do online, and unfortunately if you are talking about Ganon Falcon in Brawl I can't provide much help except for what I know from other people doing (melee is different story)

since I travel to many big tournaments this year if you are nearby any tournament that you think will be really big there is a good chance that I might be there

Mew2King

King of the Mews
like i said to everyone PM me. I am already making notes of what states people live in for contact with them later

half the reason you should be doing that is to help me as I also help you

I already have my own strategies to help the other big pound5 victims out but I need to keep it private with them and cannot reveal any more about that here at this time.

i would also train people for free for several days if they would be nice enough to pay my flights to places where they live / where a decent sized melee+brawl tournament is. I would even team with them if they paid my plane ticket to those or compensate them fairly somehow

swordgard

Smash Hero

Most gaming community have pros that will teach for an hourly rate, theres nothing really new with what m2k is doing. Teaching until they make money is basically doing it for a non garanteed price, which really sucks.

M2K, you need to learn to market these things a bit better though.

ILM

Smash Journeyman
I have already PMed you, but I was curious around what per hour you were planning to charge for tutoring? I'm assuming I'd pay the travel expenses, of course, but seeing how you mentioned staying multiple days and such, I'd imagine this could get pricey.

Although really, I'd do it just to get to say I've played you. You seem like a cool guy, M2K, just a little unlucky.

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
Most gaming community have pros that will teach for an hourly rate, theres nothing really new with what m2k is doing. Teaching until they make money is basically doing it for a non garanteed price, which really sucks.

M2K, you need to learn to market these things a bit better though.
How else could he market it? It's not like he's a Halo pro being sponsored by MLG with his own site where he could simply have a link to his lessons hosting page. Smashboards is hardly going to have a section for this sort of thing, a thread like this is the only way to get his message out there. Idk what else you would want, lol.

Anyways, gl with this M2K. If there's a tournament in NJ maybe I'll pay for lessons ^.^

D

Deleted member

I'll try saving up a little to help you out if it's really that bad, I'll help you the best I can. Either way, my brain remembers how to play melee but my fingers don't. I'm not really sure you can teach that.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
nationals like that are too hard. Nationals compared to normal tourneys are 2 different things. Switching games every 10 minutes does throw me off when your competition is also top notch, it makes the difference between getting a huge combo starter on them, or the same happening to yourself, etc.

Charlie G

Smash Journeyman
Your location says you are ~5 mins from Philly, which is where I will be for a while early May. I'd love to buy a few hour's tutoring, depending of course on what kind of $$ you would be charging

Mizar

Smash Ace
Have you considered a job? Or are there almost no jobs there atm?
Did someone... TOOK ER JEEEEEERRBS

t3h Icy

Smash Master
If I'm not **** by the time I meet you, I'll definitely go for some lesson. :D

-Ran

Smash Master
This might sound dumb, but find out how much Music teachers charge per hour, or perhaps Math Tutors. That should give you a good baseline amount M2k.

DJRome

Smash Hero
yeah, but there's actual money to be made for those playing starcraft. most private tutors for high school or less is around 30/hr in my experience.

-Ran

Smash Master
I don't see anyone paying $100 an hour for Smash. People that play Smash are some of the cheapest people you'll ever meet.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
oh really? I didn't know that. I just heard from some guy that posted on my facebook once that it was that much. But I was planning more by the day thing and week. If you guys don't wanna do it then don't then, but I'll be doing it for people that do. It'd help me out a lot and would help u learn a lot

Top Bottom