• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

smash lessons by M2K

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
And it wouldn't be worth spending all day or the entire week then because I could be studying programming. I wouldn't do it for much less and it'd depend on circumstances. I don't think I'd likely change this in most circumstances. You don't have to do it if you don't want to. I won't be doing these very long in either case.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
While you shouldn't sell yourself short. Just recognize that most pricing is based on demand. Many SC2 pros started at 10-25$ per hour then raised their pricing.

M2k I do have an idea that may help you, I'll just pm you and see if you have thought about it yet.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Well like I said it's based on demand (and if they really want to coach). Some players are really popular, and decided that while they would rather play if people are willing to spend X amount of cash per hour then they absolutely will coach. I know that's what Idra did. It's all about building a base and demand.

Unfortunately the one thing melee/brawl lack is a solid online system, which makes games like SC or LoL WAAAY easier to get viewers and coaching.

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
lol... hmmmm, when/if you come back to Avon... $40 for 5 hours? Just a thought. I mean it's not much but considering I'd have to drive an hour and a half to see you...
But idk, I'd really have to see where I stand whenever.

Also, that's more than minimum wage in Ohio. :awesome:

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
when is the next time you're going down to FL? Ill be in a tally tourney nex week and I heard you were in the NC area or something. I'd pay maybe somewhere from 10-20$ for you to show me mk specifically and the mk ditto mu specifically.

Deathknight

Smash Ace
I could really use some help improving my tech skill. I'd be glad to pay for some help/advice with it as long as the price isn't too crazy.

DJRome

Smash Hero
i think you should be asking for favors such as rides, meals, and tournament entry for training. people are much more willing to do this and rides/meals serve the same purpose of $

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
mew2king..about this you realise the community is mostly kids right? They're poor (no offense to the richer kids)

this wont get very far..or many people will bother. I'm sure some people will fund you a bit sometimes for tournaments but thats prob the limit lol. The forum has like so much information..there's a zillion match vids of all the pros and advice forums everywhere on the boards :/ the best way for people to learn is prob playing in tournaments after using all that knowledge from these methods/testing in friendlies.

So I dont think a few words will just help someone become amazing, a few days wont make a difference either because for someone to become good it takes months for this game. At the end of the day its all down to Practise + Understanding. As PP says "I watch my own videos and realise my own mistakes, then try to work around them"

The Doug tried this in the UK and 99% of us thought it was a joke >_>

This game is no where the same in comparison to starcraft or any other game that uses tutors/coaches. Those games are huge money in comparison to smash and WAY more people take it seriously and at ridiculous levels. Smash does have depth but its a different kind of community as a whole. Starcraft is something that lacks information to help in comparison to smash where the help is everywhere and its just a matter of people's effort to figure out their problems/learn new things

I attend lan parties even now and then and these games are hugely sponsored with teams and coaches because thats how it rolls with PC games + Console games like Halo, but smash..will never be like that heh.
If you want to compare it to another game in the same genre..say SSF4 since that's where the money is at, the top players dont even train the players tbh, they give tips but they dont charge lol.

Good luck with this anyway..

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
finally learned from the halo players at mlg i see ;). Great idea man.

hmm I think some people will pay. I used to be pro at halo 2 and kids definitely pay for lessons from "pros". I realize the halo community is alot larger though. When starting a new venture people will always be negative but don't listen to them. Also, don't downplay yer market. There are plenty of kids out there that there parents give them anything or they use there allowance on anything they want. Also, there are many smashers out there that aren't able to travel but love to play the game(Aib, gamebattles, etc).

Anyways, to maximize this u would need to include online also. That way u could train people across the nation without having to travel. Online isn't offline but u could at least teach smarts and other things. And 1v1 isn't to bad with connections.

Fuzzy has a point tho. The smash community's mentality isn't as serious as other games. For example, in halo 2 we took every chance we could to get better and play with fellow top teams. But in smash lol if it's not a tourney or mm people troll u for trying. It's so wack that it is like that lolol.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
coaching has a really big market in Starcraft 2, with some rates going as high as $150/hr. idk how smash will do compared to SC2 but good luck lol.
Yeah, but Starcraft is actually viable employment on Korea. xD

Fuzzyness-there's plenty of young adults in the community.

Jason- this is actually a pretty good idea. Sadly, I think the cost of plane tickets from where you are now to where I live would be prohibited or I'd actually consider taking you up on this.

Avocado Flotilla

Smash Rookie
M2k,
I'm a father of a Melee player who mains Marth and who thinks you're the bomb. He graduates in a week and I'm looking for the Ultimate graduation gift. You. We should talk ...5 years ago, looks like you were up for coaching a kid. I have a thought that will be good for you, good for my son and can be great for the community. Call me, maybe. :)

Top Bottom