• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Apex 2015 Smash Bros. for Wii U & Melee (Disrespect)

Nintenpro

Smash Apprentice
That's a straight-up lie though. Last year at EVO, the delays caused by Melee caused a very similar backlash to the one Sm4sh caused at Apex, stop pretending this is something that happened because people hate Sm4sh. This is something absolutely any community would've done if their game got delayed by something which plays heavily different from their own.
Smash 4 didn't even delayed the tournament ... the top 8 was ready when melee top 48 was running, and even during smash 4 some melee matches were played.
Some melee players are just upset when they have to wait for their top 8, no matter how long smash 4 lasts, because you know ... they only want to see melee. It's understandable but some disrespectful behaviour, like the melee chant at the end of smash 4, should be avoided.

Besides, people should stop acting as if smash 4/melee players only want to watch smash 4/melee. Some people love the smash series and want to watch all the smash games.

Last edited:

MegaSilver

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaSilver
But again, at the end of the day, no matter why this takes that long or scheduling problems here and there...the heckling and disrespect is unacceptable.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Did anyone start a fire? Did anyone get hurt?

It was fun and y'all overblowing this 'hateful' behavior.
I said hateful, not hurtful.

Starting a fire would be hurtful.

But that's not what I said.

Silly.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Hateful or not it's pretty disrespectful to cheer a dude for the sole purpose of "ending it faster" and proceeding to chant "Melee" while the guy tries to enjoy winning in a game he's put tons of hours into, both on and off stream to both educate new players and improve himself.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Remember that also Smash 4 is trying to get big in the scene, things like this potentially discourage interest in the game.
Also try to imagine if Smash 4 fans did that to Melee. Melee fans would not like it.

MeteorD

Smash Rookie
I'm not saying it isn't disrespectful, I'm saying that drawing the conclusion that Melee players want Sm4sh to fail simply because of how they acted during Apex is absolutely wrong. It was due to poor schedualing which I really can't blame on anyone as it's a goddamn miracle the event even managed to happen in the end to begin with, trying to attribute it to a certain source is something which can be considered disrespectful and incredibly arrogant.

Melee players have no reason to feel "threatened" or whatever by Sm4sh since they offer entirely different appeal unless you consider being a platform fighter enough of a connection in gameplay. If Sm4sh succeeds then fine, that won't affect the Melee scene negatively whatsoever. I can't even count how many players I know who've started out with Sm4sh and then been drawn to the competitive Melee scene afterwards, so everyone already knows that it has a large amount of appeal and isn't going to die out anytime soon unless Nintendo pulls a Konami and bans all cash prizes from the game.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Did anyone start a fire? Did anyone get hurt?

It was fun and y'all overblowing this 'hateful' behavior.
I think even making troll comments saying, "It's a shame the ceiling didn't collapse and kill all the Brawl and Smash 4 players to purge the cancer from our community" Is unacceptable.

Last edited:

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
Imagine if the Superbowl was pushed off until late-night so the channel could show women's soccer? Not saying Soccer doesn't take skill, but it's not nearly as dynamic as Football, so American viewers prefer football.

This hate didn't happen because Melee players hate Sm4sh. It happened because no one was tuning/attending for Sm4sh, they were there for Melee. It's bigger, it's more popular. Did anyone else see all the 1's pressed when someone said "Press 1 if you're just here waiting for Melee." during Sm4sh top 8?

When it had its own stream, Sm4sh had around 20k viewers. Melee top 8 was happening at 1 in the morning on a Sunday night and it had 80. Whoever made the decision to stream Sm4sh first was trying to boost Sm4sh's popularity by getting Melee viewers to watch it before their top 8. Did you expect them to see the 18 minute sets and be happy? The bigger fanbase deserves the better airtime. This is what happens when you don't give the people what they want.

Last edited:

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
The only thing this did is make me not want to get deeper into competitive Smash at all. I've seen this behavior all the way back in Brawl and it just carried over here. Ironic, considering that Smash is seen as an absolute joke to the rest of the FGC and Melee players of old should definitely know what they had to go through. Then it happens to the new Smash community and it's suddenly ok???

Last edited:

Nintenpro

Smash Apprentice
This hate didn't happen because Melee players hate Sm4sh. It happened because no one was tuning/attending for Sm4sh, they were there for Melee. It's bigger, it's more popular.
#Meleelitist
First, a lot of people wanted to watch sm4sh because it's a new game and Apex2015 was his first big tournament.
Second, melee is bigger and more popular, so ? That doesn't give you the right to be disrespectful to other games less popular.

When it had its own stream, Sm4sh had around 20k viewers. Melee top 8 was happening at 1 in the morning on a Sunday night and it had 80.
Sm4sh top8 had ~80k and Melee top8 had ~100k. Don't compare apple and orange.
TeamSpooky's stream wasn't the main stream and was poorly advertised.

Whoever made the decision to stream Sm4sh first was trying to boost Sm4sh's popularity by getting Melee viewers to watch it before their top 8.
They put the most popular event at the end, that's how it works.

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Well, I was introduced to SSB by Meele, but I never liked the competitive play in that game. I couldn't play with the chracters I liked at all, because they were just unusable (Oh, Ness...:sadsheep:), and the rush and combo strategy used by most in the time I played just felt boring to watch, imo. Really, it's exactly the fact it was fast that I didn't like in that game.

Don't get me wrong, I had fun with Meele, but I prefer Sm4sh a lot better, exactly because it's not too unbalanced, and it requires some strategy with certain characters.

Imagine if the Superbowl was pushed off until late-night so the channel could show women's soccer? Not saying Soccer doesn't take skill, but it's not nearly as dynamic as Football, so American viewers prefer football.

This hate didn't happen because Melee players hate Sm4sh. It happened because no one was tuning/attending for Sm4sh, they were there for Melee. It's bigger, it's more popular. Did anyone else see all the 1's pressed when someone said "Press 1 if you're just here waiting for Melee." during Sm4sh top 8?

When it had its own stream, Sm4sh had around 20k viewers. Melee top 8 was happening at 1 in the morning on a Sunday night and it had 80. Whoever made the decision to stream Sm4sh first was trying to boost Sm4sh's popularity by getting Melee viewers to watch it before their top 8. Did you expect them to see the 18 minute sets and be happy? The bigger fanbase deserves the better airtime. This is what happens when you don't give the people what they want.
Well, in my country we don't have football at all, but I think the example you used is just bad. I'm not going to comment on the women's soccer part, because it would only spark a flamewar TV just doesn't work the same way as online streaming, heck, even the way it's planned is different. Also, both sports are completely different oO Sm4ah and Meele, on the hand, are from the same series. Also, the way you go comparing eletronic games with sports just feel wrong to me.
In any way, I'm sure the Superbowls fans would be at least respectful, and wouldn't go to the stadio to whine all the game like little kids.

You can try to justify all you want the way they reacted, but it was, as someone here already said, unacceptable. It doesn't give them any right to try to destroy someone's else enjoyment, and if you think it does, you're just a troll. Would you want a crowd of kiddie-persons booing while you play Meele? I'm sure not.

If they wanted to blame something, they should blame the APEX management, not a freaking game.

Last edited:

chipz

Smash Apprentice
im worried that the reactions at EVO will be even more harsh considering how many of them already dont like Melee being there. Imagine Dabuzz on the main stage camping it up, running the clock. uhoh.

MeteorD

Smash Rookie
The only thing this did is make me not want to get deeper into competitive Smash at all. I've seen this behavior all the way back in Brawl and it just carried over here. Ironic, considering that Smash is seen as an absolute joke to the rest of the FGC and Melee players of old should definitely know what they had to go through. Then it happens to the new Smash community and it's suddenly ok???
Nobody is saying that it's okay, just that the reaction is incredibly overblown with the blame being shifted to Melee players as if it's that community which is in the wrong. Honestly I don't understand why something like this would change your intentions on getting into competitive play, it's not like drama is unheard of at all. Truth is if something like this is enough to make you decide to not do it then you probably weren't going to go very far in it to begin with. If someone gets into competitive play, then they stay because they enjoy it, not because of whatever opinions people have of them for playing that game.

Not sure which incident with the FGC you're referring to. If it's last years EVO then that was because Melee delayed things, the complaints from that were entirely justified. The FGC seeing Smash as a joke is because of how differently it plays from standard fighter, and because it caters heavily to casual players. That has absolutely nothing to do with this current incident however, I don't even understand how you're drawing comparisons when both the games in question are in the same franchise, and people were getting annoyed because of delays and because the top 8 was undeniably boring for the vast majority of the time.

Sm4sh is a poor spectators sport, and I can only agree with Pwii on that putting it right before the incredibly hyped up top 8 of Melee was just a way to leech views and an attempt to draw in more interest in Sm4sh from the Melee crowd, without realizing it would have the complete reverse effect due to the state of the current meta. The unavoidable poor planning was the cause of this, don't try to repeatedly blame the Melee crowd for this. It's frankly embarassing to even see posts in this thread calling Melee players elitist when they're more willing to shift the blame to the Melee crowd rather than aknowledging that the top 8 being boring was the reason nobody wanted to be forced to sit through it.

Still not trying to justify booing at winners, that's wrong by all means since winners should have their time in the spotlight. However the reaction to the overall top 8 is natural, this would've happened with absolutely any franchise that has alot of hype behind it. Saw that one post got a warning for "When's Mahvel" which I find pretty questionable since honestly it fights right in here as it pretty much showed that this exact reaction would've come regardless of what playerbase it happened to.

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Sm4sh is a poor spectators sport, and I can only agree with Pwii on that putting it right before the incredibly hyped up top 8 of Melee was just a way to leech views and an attempt to draw in more interest in Sm4sh from the Melee crowd, without realizing it would have the complete reverse effect due to the state of the current meta. The unavoidable poor planning was the cause of this, don't try to repeatedly blame the Melee crowd for this. It's frankly embarassing to even see posts in this thread calling Melee players elitist when they're more willing to shift the blame to the Melee crowd rather than aknowledging that the top 8 being boring was the reason nobody wanted to be forced to sit through it

Still not trying to justify booing at winners, that's wrong by all means since winners should have their time in the spotlight. However the reaction to the overall top 8 is natural, this would've happened with absolutely any franchise that has alot of hype behind it. Saw that one post got a warning for "When's Mahvel" which I find pretty questionable since honestly it fights right in here as it pretty much showed that this exact reaction would've come regardless of what playerbase it happened to.
But you just did :054: I honestly liked the Sm4sh top 8, and didn't care at all for the Meele one. I never really liked the way meele played, as I stated before.

I'll agree, however, that it was extremely poor planning on the APEX part, and that calling all Meele players "elitist" is just stupid. However, there's no salvation to the booing guys. It doesn't matter that you thought it was boring, some people honestly liked the matches, and these guys just killed the fun for them. And the players, then? Imagine playing your game while trying to ignore a annoying crowd?

And really, not everyone is going to think that was boring. You should stop having that kind of narrow vision of the world. There are linkings for every kind of thing.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
That's a straight-up lie though. Last year at EVO, the delays caused by Melee caused a very similar backlash to the one Sm4sh caused at Apex, stop pretending this is something that happened because people hate Sm4sh. This is something absolutely any community would've done if their game got delayed by something which plays heavily different from their own. Going up and insulting Zero is flat-out unacceptable, that much I can agree with since the guy just won a tournament. However the crowd and the Twitch chat being relieved it was finally over is still something I considere entirely justified. Keeping a good seat live is pretty hard, and sitting through something you don't enjoy when it's being played incredibly stale even by Sm4sh players standards is nothing short of ridiculous.

Throwing around accusations like being "spoiled" won't help your cause, since this is how any regular human would've acted. Nobody is blaming Sm4sh players for this, the people who are are plainly put wrong. The top 8 played the game to win, thus used playstyles that were required to win, regardless if boring or not. That doesn't change the fact that it was a very poor spectators sport, very few people can it on that ground. Call it a temper tantrum if you want but that doesn't change the plain fact that people were forced to stay up for very long, especially european players, to watch a top 8 even alot of Sm4sh players can't defend as "entertaining".

Stop trying to take the moral high-ground and guilt-trip players for doing something completely natural. If you want to say that it was insulting to the Sm4sh community then fine, believe that. If the Melee top 8 had been played before the Sm4sh top 8 and been equally as boring somehow, you can bet your goddamn as that Sm4sh players would've been *****ing about a 10+ year old game delaying their finals. But of course you won't accept something like that because you consider behaviour like this to be something personal rather than natural.
If you looked at my post, I said CEO, not EVO. I can say from experience, what you described didn't happen. The worst that happened is Jabaily made fun of them for all the coaching. But no one was disrespectful. As for EVO, a google results yeilds nothing, so source or it didn't happen. I expect what you're describing never happened. With Melee player's being as thin skinned as they are, we would have seen it all over the subreddit.

What the community did was spam the stream feed with "MELEE," kept screaming it during the finals, said some pretty hateful things and basically spat on the winner of the Smash 4 finals. This is not how normal people act. This is how children act. Rather than being quite and respectful, they threw a temper tantrum when they didn't get what they want. "OMG, they were forced to watch top 8 for Smash 4."I doubt they were actually forced. They could have done something else. Besides, Marvel and Street Fighter fans could say the exact same thing. Heck, I don't think Marvel finals even started till around 8 or 9. The only saving grace was Marvel took less than its allotted time. Street Fighter fans had to stay up late to see their finals too. Heck, they had to sit through 2 Smash games. You only had to sit through one. Yet, at the end of it all, only Melee fans throw a temper tantrum.

Nothing about what they did was natural for an adult. Hell, you, yourself, said that what the Melee fans did to Zero was unacceptable. SO I don't know how, at the same time, you could think they were doing what normal humans do. Normal people don't just sit in their seat and yell the same thing over and over. You don't hear "PLANE" when their flight is slow to take off or delayed. You don't hear "MOVIE" during the previews of a movie. You don't hear "BAND" when the main act takes to long. This kind of stuff never happens because it's childish to start screaming when things don't go exactly our way. Not everything is perfect and life isn't on a perfect schedule. But that doesn't mean the logical thing is to start screaming. What the Melee community did was throw a tantrum.

What I'm really tired of is the Melee community always wants to try and shift the blame or not take responsibility. No one said "Hey guys, we ****ed up." Everyone wants to make excuses. The Melee community ALWAYS does this. I think the Melee community, in general, needs to grow up and take some accountability.

EDIT:Funny enough, this was my 5000th post. Fitting, huh?

Last edited:

Snowbird

Smash Cadet
Didn't help that the entire commentary from the guy that wasn't d1 was pretty much pure trying to assure himself and everyone else that sm4sh is a good game too. If its a good game the people watching it will like it, but... well. You know.

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
#Meleelitist
First, a lot of people wanted to watch sm4sh because it's a new game and Apex2015 was his first big tournament.
Second, melee is bigger and more popular, so ? That doesn't give you the right to be disrespectful to other games less popular.

Sm4sh top8 had ~80k and Melee top8 had ~100k. Don't compare apple and orange.
TeamSpooky's stream wasn't the main stream and was poorly advertised.

They put the most popular event at the end, that's how it works.
1. I didn't say that Melee was better, that literally nobody wanted to see Sm4sh, or that it justified the rudeness. I said Melee was bigger, explaining why it happened because people seem to think it's because Melee fans just hated Sm4sh.

2. Fair point.

3. They should have put it in prime time, not Sm4sh. I understand that logic, but if your schedule ends up getting screwed over you just decide to stream Sm4sh on a different channel, push it back, or don't stream it. The bigger game gets priority.

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
Melee elitists: "Smash 4 is boring to watch, too slow, and nobody likes it."

Why are these things agreed upon by the whole Smash community? Everybody say it with me!

BECAUSE IT'S NOT MELEE! #ButItsNotMelee :)

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
Melee elitists: "Smash 4 is boring to watch, too slow, and nobody likes it."

Why are these things agreed upon by the whole Smash community? Everybody say it with me!

BECAUSE IT'S NOT MELEE! #ButItsNotMelee :)
It's not something that can be objectively proven, but even as I was corrected, Melee had 20,000 more viewers despite being held at 1 AM on Monday morning. Most of the people watching Sm4sh's stream were waiting for Melee. Stop trying to force this whiny hashtag trying Melee fans to be whiny players with an inferior game.

I actually went into TeamSpooky's 64 stream and you know what I saw? Everyone was saying how much better 64 was in comparison to Sm4sh. It's not just that it's not Melee, it's that it's boring. Do you know how many people tried out Brawl when it came out? The entire smash community was ready for something new, and the only reason everyone except M2K returned to Melee is because it disappointed them so much. Most Brawl players never played Melee, because they couldn't help but compare the two, and they preferred Melee.

Also if it was just nostalgia then 64 would be bigger than Melee. But it's almost as if the content of the games affect how much people like it.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It's not something that can be objectively proven, but even as I was corrected, Melee had 20,000 more viewers despite being held at 1 AM on Monday morning. Most of the people watching Sm4sh's stream were waiting for Melee. Stop trying to force this whiny hashtag trying Melee fans to be whiny players with an inferior game.

I actually went into TeamSpooky's 64 stream and you know what I saw? Everyone was saying how much better 64 was in comparison to Sm4sh. It's not just that it's not Melee, it's that it's boring. Do you know how many people tried out Brawl when it came out? The entire smash community was ready for something new, and the only reason everyone except M2K returned to Melee is because it disappointed them so much. Most Brawl players never played Melee, because they couldn't help but compare the two, and they preferred Melee.

Also if it was just nostalgia then 64 would be bigger than Melee. But it's almost as if the content of the games affect how much people like it.
Despite this, there really isn't a large smash 64 if at all scene kind of like Brawl.

I mean, people can say they hate Smash 4 right now but it had the scene at least right now and there is a want for the scene.

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
Didn't help that the entire commentary from the guy that wasn't d1 was pretty much pure trying to assure himself and everyone else that sm4sh is a good game too. If its a good game the people watching it will like it, but... well. You know.
^This. People are trying to force Sm4sh's popularity in competitive circles. If it's good enough, it'll happen naturally.
Despite this, there really isn't a large smash 64 if at all scene kind of like Brawl.

I mean, people can say they hate Smash 4 right now but it had the scene at least right now and there is a want for the scene.
That's actually a good point. Quality is not directly related to competitive popularity. :/ Which is probably why Melee fans are trying to keep Melee from becoming 64, and Sm4sh fans are trying to keep Sm4sh from becoming Brawl.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
^This. People are trying to force Sm4sh's popularity in competitive circles. If it's good enough, it'll happen naturally.

That's actually a good point. Quality is not directly related to competitive popularity. :/ Which is probably why Melee fans are trying to keep Melee from becoming 64, and Sm4sh fans are trying to keep Sm4sh from becoming Brawl.
I mean, I really want the obvious answer to be just get along but that clearly isn't enough.

That's really what the problem is right now.

People have their preferences, I think 64 is more boring than Brawl by a long shot, but the main problem is the fact that no one has class with it and wants to be an obnoxious ass about it to others.

APEX had timing issues, this was why it went the way it did, but the attitudes some reflect to the point where D1, Prog and TKBreezy all told me to knock it off is telling.

People want to see the community come together better, not to the point where people apparently want me dead via a building collapse because I play Smash 4.

revengeska

Smash Apprentice

Smash 4 had tens of thousands of viewers, despite being a young game. Tens of thousands of viewers are going to watch a game that's boring, huh? "Everyone", with tens of thousands of exceptions. I started with Smash 64 back in the day, spent a ton of time on Melee over the years, then Brawl came out and I preferred that. Now Smash 4 is out, and it's my favorite entry of the series so far. I found the Smash 4 stream exciting, and I know I'm not the only one.

So you may not like the #ButItsNotMelee hashtag, but the truth hurts sometimes. There is a reason that criticism of newer Smash games is never devoid of a Melee comparison.

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
I mean, I really want the obvious answer to be just get along but that clearly isn't enough.

That's really what the problem is right now.

People have their preferences, I think 64 is more boring than Brawl by a long shot, but the main problem is the fact that no one has class with it and wants to be an obnoxious *** about it to others.

APEX had timing issues, this was why it went the way it did, but the attitudes some reflect to the point where D1, Prog and TKBreezy all told me to knock it off is telling.

People want to see the community come together better, not to the point where people apparently want me dead via a building collapse because I play Smash 4.
The reason that Melee clashed with Brawl and Sm4sh's scenes is because they were in competition with each other. Brawl nearly killed Melee, and people are worried that Nintendo is just using Melee's scene to get people to play Sm4sh, and that when the tides turn, Melee will end up dead.

To be honest though, I don't know if the common man can do anything about it. Imo if Nintendo released Melee HD for the WiiU console with the GC adapter support, Melee fans would be a lot more cool with Sm4sh. And if the people at VGBC stopped listening to Nintendo and forcing the scene with every commentator trying to say "Hey guys this game is so good I can't believe how good it is just like Melee yup yup this is quality competitive material." it would help.

Sm4sh fans should be objectively judging their game; after all, Nintendo is actually in a position to fix/balance things. Instead of pretending like Sm4sh is perfect, they should be voicing their opinions on what Nintendo should change/get right next time. (Of course I don't know if Nintendo is going to listen.)

MeteorD

Smash Rookie
Smash 4 had tens of thousands of viewers, despite being a young game. Tens of thousands of viewers are going to watch a game that's boring, huh?
It's a new game at its most major tournament, the entire thing could've been 8 Jigglypuffs using Rest all day long and there would still be at least 10k viewers. How ridiculously defensive can you get, it was incredibly clear that the top 8 was for the most part incredibly boring. If the game has been out for even half a year then the 10k+ viewers would actually matter more, now people would watch Sm4sh simply because it's Sm4sh rather than for the actual excitement of the gameplay.

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4 had tens of thousands of viewers, despite being a young game. Tens of thousands of viewers are going to watch a game that's boring, huh? "Everyone", with tens of thousands of exceptions. I started with Smash 64 back in the day, spent a ton of time on Melee over the years, then Brawl came out and I preferred that. Now Smash 4 is out, and it's my favorite entry of the series so far. I found the Smash 4 stream exciting, and I know I'm not the only one.

So you may not like the #ButItsNotMelee hashtag, but the truth hurts sometimes. There is a reason that criticism of newer Smash games is never devoid of a Melee comparison.
So the 'truth' is that there is literally no reason that people like Melee over new Smash games other than the fact that it isn't Melee. Do you really believe that? After all the people who wanted to like Brawl and couldn't? I don't want to list every reason why Brawl and Sm4sh are objectively worse than Melee because that's not the point, but I can.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
The reason that Melee clashed with Brawl and Sm4sh's scenes is because they were in competition with each other. Brawl nearly killed Melee, and people are worried that Nintendo is just using Melee's scene to get people to play Sm4sh, and that when the tides turn, Melee will end up dead.

To be honest though, I don't know if the common man can do anything about it. Imo if Nintendo released Melee HD for the WiiU console with the GC adapter support, Melee fans would be a lot more cool with Sm4sh. And if the people at VGBC stopped listening to Nintendo and forcing the scene with every commentator trying to say "Hey guys this game is so good I can't believe how good it is just like Melee yup yup this is quality competitive material." it would help.

Sm4sh fans should be objectively judging their game; after all, Nintendo is actually in a position to fix/balance things. Instead of pretending like Sm4sh is perfect, they should be voicing their opinions on what Nintendo should change/get right next time. (Of course I don't know if Nintendo is going to listen.)
Objectively? People are fooling themselves if they think people are doing this on either side. Or without Rosetinted glasses. Because people on both sides hardly have done it without putting those on. No one should expect large drastic changes, that's completely out the window if people want L-Cancel, Crouch Canceling, Wavedashing etc. What they wanted was a simple platform fighter for people to get into and play. They got it and succeeded because the casual audience is ultimately what makes smash thrive.

Melee and PM, while still simple and not really that hard. Kind of fail in that regard with attributes both have in each via game design. It's one of my main issues with PM is that it continues with bad game design from Melee without thought and repeats it just because it was in a past game.

Also for the commentators, what commentator is going to trash the game he is talking about? Be real with me on this. Is someone seriously going to ask back a commentator who does something like that? People did enjoy the top 8, some didn't. And surprise I'm one of the ones who really wasn't interesting in Smash 64 at all when it was streamed.

There is a vocal community of Melee and PM that want to trash on it any chance they get. That much is clear.

Last edited:

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
It's a new game at its most major tournament, the entire thing could've been 8 Jigglypuffs using Rest all day long and there would still be at least 10k viewers. How ridiculously defensive can you get, it was incredibly clear that the top 8 was for the most part incredibly boring. If the game has been out for even half a year then the 10k+ viewers would actually matter more, now people would watch Sm4sh simply because it's Sm4sh rather than for the actual excitement of the gameplay.
Oh, so now because it's a new game at a major tournament, people will watch it for hours on end despite it supposedly being boring? Do you realize how incredibly stupid that sounds?

So the 'truth' is that there is literally no reason that people like Melee over new Smash games other than the fact that it isn't Melee. Do you really believe that? After all the people who wanted to like Brawl and couldn't? I don't want to list every reason why Brawl and Sm4sh are objectively worse than Melee because that's not the point, but I can.
Not what I said at all. This isn't about preferring one game over another, this is about disparaging a game because of elitist beliefs in the superiority of another. In this case, it's not just "I personally like Melee over Smash 4", it's "Smash 4 sucks and it's boring and Melee is so much better in every way". That's what this thread is about, Melee elitists having a tantrum that not everyone wants to bow to their game. #ButItsNotMelee

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
Objectively? People are fooling themselves if they think people are doing this on either side. Or without Rosetinted glasses. Because people on both sides hardly have done it without putting those on. No one should expect large drastic changes, that's completely out the window if people want L-Cancel, Crouch Canceling, Wavedashing etc. What they wanted was a simple platform fighter for people to get into and play. They got it and succeeded because the casual audience is ultimately what makes smash thrive.

Melee and PM, while still simple and not really that hard. Kind of fail in that regard with attributes both have in each via game design. It's one of my main issues with PM is that it continues with bad game design from Melee without thought and repeats it just because it was in a past game.

Also for the commentators, what commentator is going to trash the game he is talking about? Be real with me on this. Is someone seriously going to ask back a commentator who does something like that? People did enjoy the top 8, some didn't. And surprise I'm one of the ones who really wasn't interesting in Smash 64 at all when it was streamed.

There is a vocal community of Melee and PM that want to trash on it any chance they get. That much is clear.
I'm not saying it has to be Melee, I'm saying that it's BS when D1 says how fun and exciting it is when Pacman vs Rosalina time out.

Also what design flaws do Melee and PM have? I'm not trying to be smarmy, I've just actually never heard anyone say that about fundamental design and would genuinely be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Also, I'm not asking commentators to trash the game. I'm expecting them to be honest. Lovage doesn't make it seem like it could go either way. He straight up said that PewPewU would trash Taj, which made it even more exciting when Taj took it to game five. I see commentators complain if Sheik chaingrabs Pikachu to a kill. MacD said how idiotic it was that Fox's Uair chains into itself and kills ridiculously early. We don't trash our game, but we don't put on a false face for the sake of the scene.

Melee has flaws, but Melee people aren't afraid of speaking the truth for the sake of OneUnit. Sm4sh fans know if they talk about their games weak points that a lot of fans would take in the flaws and strengths of every game, and participate in the game with the collectively agreed fewest flaws. And I'm not talking about Brawl.

EDIT: Whoops double post

this is about disparaging a game because of elitist beliefs in the superiority of another. In this case, it's not just "I personally like Melee over Smash 4", it's "Smash 4 sucks and it's boring and Melee is so much better in every way". That's what this thread is about, Melee elitists having a tantrum that not everyone wants to bow to their game. #ButItsNotMelee
I already told you. Nobody threw a fit because they thought Melee was better. Remember all the 'Toxic Melee Hater Trolls' at Paragon booing Sm4sh? Right, because people didn't start chanting Melee because they liked it better. They started because Melee was being shafted for the sake of Sm4sh when the majority were there for Melee.

And if your pet hashtag isn't saying "Melee fans complain about Sm4sh because it isn't Melee," then what is it trying to say?

Last edited:

MeteorD

Smash Rookie
Oh, so now because it's a new game at a major tournament, people will watch it for hours on end despite it supposedly being boring? Do you realize how incredibly stupid that sounds?
That is exactly what I'm saying. The event is major as all hell, and if you just look at the sales for Sm4sh then it's pretty obvious that at least a tiny fraction of that amounting to 10k-30k players would sit through something like that. Pools was decent at times, that much I'll admit, but the top 8 was a terrible spectator's sport. If you honestly think that a major Nintendo title with a massive amount of sales isn't going to gather alot of people regardless of quality as long as it's Nintendo sponsored then that's incredibly gullible.

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
I'm not saying it has to be Melee, I'm saying that it's BS when D1 says how fun and exciting it is when Pacman vs Rosalina time out.

Also what design flaws do Melee and PM have? I'm not trying to be smarmy, I've just actually never heard anyone say that about fundamental design and would genuinely be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Also, I'm not asking commentators to trash the game. I'm expecting them to be honest. Lovage doesn't make it seem like it could go either way. He straight up said that PewPewU would trash Taj, which made it even more exciting when Taj took it to game five. I see commentators complain if Sheik chaingrabs Pikachu to a kill. MacD said how idiotic it was that Fox's Uair chains into itself and kills ridiculously early. We don't trash our game, but we don't put on a false face for the sake of the scene.

Melee has flaws, but Melee people aren't afraid of speaking the truth for the sake of OneUnit. Sm4sh fans know if they talk about their games weak points that a lot of fans would take in the flaws and strengths of every game, and participate in the game with the collectively agreed fewest flaws. And I'm not talking about Brawl.

EDIT: Whoops double post

I already told you. Nobody threw a fit because they thought Melee was better. Remember all the 'Toxic Melee Hater Trolls' at Paragon booing Sm4sh? Right, because people didn't start chanting Melee because they liked it better. They started because Melee was being shafted for the sake of Sm4sh when the majority were there for Melee.

And if your pet hashtag isn't saying "Melee fans complain about Sm4sh because it isn't Melee," then what is it trying to say?
I really don't care what the reasoning is for disparaging another game, the game isn't the problem. You don't mock cheer players because you're not getting to see what you want when you want it. Complain about the tournament organizers, not about the game itself. You're backtracking and saying that nobody threw a fit because Melee was better, yet you've made it crystal clear that it was because everyone thought Smash 4 was boring that people were being idiots. #ButItsNotMelee

No, you got it right, that's exactly what the hashtag reflects. Melee elitists complain about Smash 4 because it can't reach the level of perfection that is Melee.
That is exactly what I'm saying. The event is major as all hell, and if you just look at the sales for Sm4sh then it's pretty obvious that at least a tiny fraction of that amounting to 10k-30k players would sit through something like that. Pools was decent at times, that much I'll admit, but the top 8 was a terrible spectator's sport. If you honestly think that a major Nintendo title with a massive amount of sales isn't going to gather alot of people regardless of quality as long as it's Nintendo sponsored then that's incredibly gullible.
Wow, I don't know how to respond to that then. Of course it will draw interest, people will tune in and check it out at least briefly. But people aren't going to watch it for hours if they're not enjoying the experience, it's as simple as that. If you tuned in to check out the premiere of a hyped up television show and found that first hour boring, would you tune in for episode 2?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
First off,

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2upcs0/one_unit_and_the_melee_chant_at_apex/

This is relevant to the thread and everyone should read it. Scar makes valid points and some even relate to PM lower in reddit. Makes me glad Scar is stepping up for everyone on bad behavior and assumptions.

I'll talk about Melee at the end but focus on the Smash 4 and commentator stuff first.

I think a lot of the stuff people wanted, like talking about specific players is harder than Melee. Melee has a stronger history and more players people recognize and want to see play each other. 1k MM in bracket? that was hype. But with Smash 4 it's still in the works and no real rivalries have been made to that regard. People did mention some BS stuff with Diddy and Sonic if I recall, mostly on Sonic's Throws and Diddy's Uair being dumb. Still I kind of see what you mean. There was some sugarcoating in that. But at the same time, it's hard to see what people were expecting, I mean what did people want Sky and co to say?

If the game has issues there is no problem admitting it, but then the last part I can't agree with, "and participate in the game with the collectively agreed fewest flaws" This is where you need to think of this more from a critic, film and art perspective. Not everyone is going to persevere the same mindset or likes and dislikes. What might seem as a good thing to one person might be something another hates like the plague. What one sees as no big deal another sees this as game destroying.

At what point do people accept and dismiss when the quality of each smash game is indeed good even objectively in each one, but to what appeals to who and what people like the most is different. I'm not even talking on a casual level, I mean even on a competitive level.

Shields? kind of flow chart combos? Rolls? Ledges? Defense? I have no issues with this and many others don't either.

Which leads into Melee and PM. Melee is my #2, since I decided to only practice two games over all of them unless I want to out of interest since I like training. But from an aspect of somethings I don't like about Melee.

L-Cancelling, this mechanic sucks and has no purpose other than to alienate players more without adding any really good depth, I know about shields and weird situations where you don't want to. See I've played Street Fighter and still do to a decent level ever since I came into the smash scene, canceling a move for a better version, less lag or stronger hits/other properties, had a cost and real decision making. It added depth while improving gameplay.

This doesn't at all. You will never want to not L-Cancel, if that is the case, it had no purpose in the grand scheme of the game. Tech skill is a part of a game, but it should have a point to exist and I do not think this deserves to exist.

Crouch Canceling cancelling hitstun. I'm ok with reduced knockback and damage, not people being punished for hitting their opponent. I know this requires timing and seeing an attack come, but it just seems to add a universal option to everyone I really don't think should exist outside of a counter if they want something like that. I don't think it is proper to punish being hit like this in such a way where the only real fitting punishment for this is Peach's Dsmash which is a bogus move in melee on it's own right.

Spacies design being repeated in PM with love taps. I don't the the Spacies are OP ban worthy, but damn they are really good in Melee at what they do. Be a jack of all trades and a master of a few. Their main weakness is how combo'd they get when you break their neutral, but others have the same weakness but worse by far yet don't get a recovery with no endlag when they land? The best projectiles in the game? Win ever camp war with lasers alone? Have shine which cover 6 or more other options and does so much on just one move? Yet PM puts them back in and instead of toning them down tries to buff everyone to their level.

It created a speed chase to which the PM Dev team tried to make characters compete with them, and they succeeded but only making it so anyone who couldn't fight a spacie was doomed to them as well. It lead to characters being bloated with good traits without clear and defined weaknesses like Smash 4 and tried to fit into it's design. And when they do tone it down, they still pull bias balancing by leaving them untouched for the most part pretty much putting it back to square one.

From there, I pretty much agreed to stick with Melee since I didn't want to deal with the bias balancing, readding of mechanics I don't like and I've been generally been not a fan of non PC mods.

That's where my problems are in a nutshell, and pretty much why I don't agree with the idea that people seem to think Melee is the best when really the thing that has appealed to me the most at this point is Smash 4. I have issues with both games and other smash titles, but the I still like them and the smash series on a whole is my favorite of all time.

Last edited:

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice

I turned in to watch Smash 4. In fact, I barely watched Melee's stream when it did come on. The only other stream I watched was 64's top 8.

And while I don't argue with you that Melee has the larger fanbase, it's also due to being an older and much more established game going head to head with a game that is not even three months old.

I also don't know what stream you were watching, but Smash 4's stream on VGboot Camp had around 80,000 people watching, with the lowest number being around 76,000. And that number is also when 64's top 8 was also going on, and Melee was coming on another stream.

While I agree the scheduling could have been better, and quite frankly, best of 3 sets would have been the better choice, I feel that Smash 4 deserves the prime spot. In retrospect, it should have been Melee's top 8 first, then Smash 4's top 8, then 64's top 8.

Put Melee before Smash 4. Get that game out of the way, make the people who came to see it happy, and then show Smash 4 in the prime spot.

But my problem is this. I can understand being upset, hell I can even understand not liking Smash 4's sets. Some of them like the Shiek vs Shiek mirror match and Sonic vs Shiek I kinda turned out of. But there is such a thing as class, and people spaming chat rooms and starting Melee chants at the GFs of Smash 4 is disrespectful. Smash 4 deserved to have its chance to shine, not be hijacked by fans of another game. You don't like that Melee is on? Then blame the TO who thought it was a great idea to schedule Melee after Smash 4 or decided to play best of 5 sets which took longer to finish.

But to hijack a game's first time at Apex and turn it into Melee fest is just insulting. Not only does it leave a bad impression on the Melee fanbase, but it marred Smash 4's first real time in the spotlight. Could have Smash 4 gone down better at Apex? of course, but it was also the game's first time there. Wrinkles were going to show up. especially since the tournament had been delayed.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
This was false when Brawl came out and even more false now.

The only way that Melee will die is if the Melee community abandons the game itself. Brawl has never, ever, endangered Melee.

MegaSilver

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaSilver
This was false when Brawl came out and even more false now.

The only way that Melee will die is if the Melee community abandons the game itself. Brawl has never, ever, endangered Melee.
Yeah, I think people who liked Melee just stayed behind and people who liked Brawl just kept going. Same now, where people who like Melee still like Melee and people who like Smash 4 moved on. There's nothing wrong with either.

The problem is when one side gets attacked by the other for having that preference. That's what's wrong, and that's the topic of this thread. Unnecessary disrespect.

Scheduling sucked, but that had A LOT to do with missing 1/3 of the time we expected to have to run the tournament, and even then, there's no reason to take it out on other people trying to enjoy Smash 4. That's just common decency.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I love retro games. I am an emperor, the first emperor of VGANu. VGAplanets is old, the title comes from the VGA monitor and it was a play by email game. Like 1992 old. I'm amongst the best players of all time, perhaps THE best. My love of old games cannot be questioned.
VGA planets has had many incarnations, version 3 was the best and lives to this day, version 4 is essentially dead.
No one runs around in our small community disrespecting other games in the series. It's childish. Most people playing melee now are adults. Act like adults, please.
If a game is good, it will continue to live, don't worry about it. Good games keep going and going. Snide comments and disrespect will not change that - what they WILL do is not attract new players to the old game. An inclusive community is the correct strategy.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
This entire thing is really frustrating to me because if people actually got along, both sides would benefit a ton. Fighting each other when we could be working together to create bigger and better things is just going to have negative effects on the overall community. Newcomers to the scene are going to see all of this and be scared away or feel like they have to pick a side and join in thus feeding a larger monster. Instead of creating the best event/scene possible, the opposite will happen if this trend keeps up. Melee players will continue to chant and discourage people, and Smash 4 players who hate Melee will start to do things like intentionally go for timeouts to make sure the event doesn't run smoothly to give SSBM less stage time, etc. That's not the kind of thing we want.

Also, I've never really been competitive at Melee, but I enjoyed watching the matches this past weekend. People should really work to help each other because there's definitely good on both sides of the fence.

Top Bottom