• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's weird, all these deconfirmations don't make me sad. It makes me relieved that there's fewer characters to speculate on and makes the game feel closer.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
For various reasons, I still say that Ridley's chances hasn't changed at all from Before the Direct, but as I have no intention to join arguments, I will leave it at that, and just see what happens. ^^

Oh, and Brawl had 6 characters while Mario had 4, so, yeah, there's been more Pkmn characters than Mario ones already.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Ridley SHOULD be a deconfirmation now, as Sakurai all but said "Ridley is the boss on Pyrosphere." Sakurai didn't come out and say that though, and he is SOOOOO trollish that I can't 100% count Ridley out yet.

I don't get where people think Mewtwo's chances have diminished. We had 6 Pokémon in Brawl. We have 4 now.... add in Mewtwo and Jiggs and we get 6. Things aren't looking good for Squirtle or Ivysaur now, though.

Man, I'm not sure were to talk about things now, in here, in rumors, in social, or in general characters. Yesterday was such an information overload!

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I'd love Tingle playable. Secret wish of mine. Though evidence by exclusion isn't enough to get my hopes up because it's not really evidence. They couldn't show EVERY assist trophy. :p

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Yes there is. You don't seem to know what evidence is.

He specifically said there were more bosses and showed Ridley's shadow. He literally called Ridley a BOSS. What more evidence do you need? That is a flat out statement.

And Mario has been at least equally represented in Brawl. 6 Mario characters (though you could subdivide Yoshi and Wario). 6 Pokemon in Brawl. Sakurai himself said he considers transformations to be other characters.

EDIT: And the rule itself that "Mario can't be out represented" is arbitrary and based on nothing real or proven. Sure it can!
No, you don't seem to understand evidence, friend. Nobody mentioned Ridley, whatsoever. A shadow that COULD be Ridley was seen at that point, but as aforementioned, it could just as easily be Meta-Ridley. As I have also said, characters can also be included in stages as well as playable, as seen with Toon Link. And that's your point on Ridley shredded. You have no evidence. It can all be countered easily with equivalents already present in the game.

My point on Mario is that it has never been outrepresented in the past, and as Nintendo's mascot, and therefore their most prevalent and recognizable series, is unlikely to be this time around. Pokemon has never had more reps than Mario. There's nothing to suggest it will this time. Two transformation characters have been removed already. That would suggest Pokemon Trainer is more likely to be removed than not. Therefore, why would they add Squirtle and Ivysaur in and bump Pokemon up to 7, and quite possibly 8? They're hardly the most popular Pokemon characters, and Sakurai has already stated the roster size is limited by the 3DS capabilities. I hardly think he would then focus on cramming in as many Pokemon as he can in place of reps from other series. Adding those two in means two lost elsewhere, and if, as suggested, there are limits as to how many can be added then it's highly unlikely he'd bother in place of other, fresher characters to draw in new audiences and please fans of other series. This isn't a Pokemon game. It doesn't need more reps than anyone else.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
EDIT: And the rule itself that "Mario can't be out represented" is arbitrary and based on nothing real or proven. Sure it can!
On technicallities Zeld and Pokemon outdid Mario in Brawl, especially now that Sheik and Zamus are doing it for themselves.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
For various reasons, I still say that Ridley's chances hasn't changed at all from Before the Direct, but as I have no intention to join arguments, I will leave it at that, and just see what happens. ^^

Oh, and Brawl had 6 characters while Mario had 4, so, yeah, there's been more Pkmn characters than Mario ones already.
Even though they technically aren't labeled as Mario reps, Wario and Yoshi are Mario characters. Even if they have spin offs. Luigi's Mansion/Dark Moon [or 2] don't make Luigi a non Mario character, do they? Donkey Kong first appeared in his own games, and Diddy Kong appeared in Donkey Kong games first. Mario series has became bigger than Donkey Kong's however.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
On technicallities Zeld and Pokemon outdid Mario in Brawl, especially now that Sheik and Zamus are doing it for themselves.
If you are to seperate the characters, yes - I entirely forgot about Ganondorf, to be honest! Still, I don't believe that now the characters are seperate they will outnumber their primary franchise so significantly, particularly for the inclusion of 5/6 Gen 1 Pokemon.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if it's just me but I considered Yoshi and Wario to be Mario Reps despite them having different symbols. I mean they're in the same universe and originated from Mario. I feel they represent their own branched off franchises and Mario's.

I would not add Donkey Kong and Diddy there. I feel their spinoff became so separate from Mario that it's fine to count them separately. They haven't "played" within the same universe in such a long time outside of Kart, Sports and Gameboard games.
I feel like they're just thrown in those Mario spin-offs these days because of tradition and their history more than anything else.

Last edited:

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
I don't know if it's just me but I considered Yoshi and Wario to be Mario Reps despite them having different symbols. I mean they're in the same universe and originated from Mario. I feel they represent their own branched off franchises and Mario's.
That's generally what most people tend to believe. They were Mario characters before all else and therefore represent that alongside their own spin-off franchises.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
No, you don't seem to understand evidence, friend. Nobody mentioned Ridley, whatsoever. A shadow that COULD be Ridley was seen at that point, but as aforementioned, it could just as easily be Meta-Ridley. As I have also said, characters can also be included in stages as well as playable, as seen with Toon Link. And that's your point on Ridley shredded. You have no evidence. It can all be countered easily with equivalents already present in the game.

My point on Mario is that it has never been outrepresented in the past, and as Nintendo's mascot, and therefore their most prevalent and recognizable series, is unlikely to be this time around. Pokemon has never had more reps than Mario. There's nothing to suggest it will this time. Two transformation characters have been removed already. That would suggest Pokemon Trainer is more likely to be removed than not. Therefore, why would they add Squirtle and Ivysaur in and bump Pokemon up to 7, and quite possibly 8? They're hardly the most popular Pokemon characters, and Sakurai has already stated the roster size is limited by the 3DS capabilities. I hardly think he would then focus on cramming in as many Pokemon as he can in place of reps from other series. Adding those two in means two lost elsewhere, and if, as suggested, there are limits as to how many can be added then it's highly unlikely he'd bother in place of other, fresher characters to draw in new audiences and please fans of other series. This isn't a Pokemon game. It doesn't need more reps than anyone else.

The shadow WAS Ridley. Meta-Ridley is the same guy. Same difference.

"Two transformation cahracters have been removed already" - No proof. No evidence. All of your statements are based on baseless assumptions. You are not someone that is worth debating with since you don't seem to get the basics of debate and the need to support your statements with non-empty pieces of evidence. I won't say any of my statements are 100% but they're based on something. I'm done with you. No point.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
The shadow WAS Ridley. Meta-Ridley is the same guy. Same difference.

"Two transformation cahracters have been removed already" - No proof. No evidence. All of your statements are based on baseless assumptions. You are not someone that is worth debating with since you don't seem to get the basics of debate and the need to support your statements with non-empty pieces of evidence. I won't say any of my statements are 100% but they're based on something. I'm done with you. No point.
You don't have a point. You're clearly refusing to acknowledge that characters can be both playable and within stages - probably because that undermines your point. And since when did the fact that they are the same character matter in Smash? ZSS and Samus are the same person - by that token, maybe we should remove one of them? You have no point to make on Ridley, whatsoever, and you're arguing for the Pokemon because you personally enjoy them, but you have nothing whatsoever with which to argue why they would be Included. You harp on about evidence and provide nothing.

ikemachine

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think we the characters revealed at the direct its proving that there are going to be more characters than we think I bet. You may think taking away the transformations takes does away but it actually gains spots. Just think sheik and ZSS were gonna be in the game no matter what and sakurai stated that transformations and the ice climbers are really hard to on the 3ds so keeping the transformations would have put more effort and time and space on the 3ds. So just changing the movesets a bit and making them separate adding space. Also making charizard a standalone with ivysaur and squirtle most likely getting cut that adds more character spaces. The fact that sakurai showed that greninja was a character, even though he is a popular character for pokemon I just dont see why he would choose him over so many popular choices the smash community wants. This just seems fishy to me and he sakurai is planning on huge reveals for e3 and showing a trailer like brawls where he announced a bunch of newcomers. Hopeful thinking at least

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I'm probably the 100th person to state this but Sakurai is the greatest troll of all time. Between the ZSS reveal, the pseudo Palutena and Ridley's shadow he is teasing things like no other. At this point Palutena is basically in and I'm not saying that because of the leak. Honestly, I'm in the camp that thinks Ridley isn't out yet. Sakurai could have deconfirmed him a million times by now and yet we have nothing except obscure words, references, and deceptive images.

City trial ripoff mode looks like a blast and the custom moves have the potential to really spice things up. Anyone else curious about why the stage names are so generic?

Final destinations for everyone and For Glory had me laughing pretty hard.

On a side note, Shulk and Isaac survive the onslaught of AT deaths! Shulk reveal at E3 anyone? Probably better suited for his thread though....

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
I'm probably the 100th person to state this but Sakurai is the greatest troll of all time. Between the ZSS reveal, the pseudo Palutena and Ridley's shadow he is teasing things like no other. At this point Palutena is basically in and I'm not saying that because of the leak. Honestly, I'm in the camp that thinks Ridley isn't out yet. Sakurai could have deconfirmed him a million times by now and yet we have nothing except obscure words, references, and deceptive images.

City trial ripoff mode looks like a blast and the custom moves have the potential to really spice things up. Anyone else curious about why the stage names are so generic?

Final destinations for everyone and For Glory had me laughing pretty hard.

On a side note, Shulk and Isaac survive the onslaught of AT deaths! Shulk reveal at E3 anyone? Probably better suited for his thread though....
E3 would be a pretty good time for Shulk, if a release date for X is given there too. Would probably help capture fans of both series and encourage them to try out both games, which is what Nintendo are going to want. Who knows though - none of us predicted Greninja last night! :')

Staarih

Smash Master
I don't know, it's best to stay open minded. Sakurai does what he does best and plays with our minds. I still think both Jiggly and Mewtwo are possible Pokémon-wise.

And also: don't count Ridley out yet #102

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
The Trolling style of Sakurai has so far not been one to not pretty much immediately reveal the troll. "We're getting rid of ZZS... jk!" "Here's a Pateluna trophy... jk!"

:p

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm still wondering if custom moves can replace clones to an extent.... especially if there are a few preset customs (that you could obviously tweak.) The example I used before is a move set that would basically turn Marth into Roy, the changes between those two characters aren't extreme enough that they couldn't be largely replicated with custom moves.

Has everyone really forgotten what trolling really is and what it means?

Because the only actual trolling I saw from him was that Ridley boss reveal and Waluigi salt fest. Now THAT'S trolling.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Has everyone really forgotten what trolling really is and what it means?

Because the only actual trolling I saw from him was that Ridley boss reveal and Waluigi salt fest. Now THAT'S trolling.
Him teasing us with that pseudo Palutena trophy was also some nice trolling there. He had me going for a second.

Him teasing us with that pseudo Palutena trophy was also some nice trolling there. He had me going for a second.
Pffft. That would have been serious ass trolling if it would actually be Palutena. THAT would instigate a lot of discord and upsets. Nice try though Sakurai with all the teasing. Teasing and trolling are two different bits ladies and gentlemen.

The Zamus thing was massive bull**** though. I mean... He used movie maker effects in that while sounding like an idiot on purpose.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
Yoshi and Wario should not be counted as Mario reps. Look at Yoshi, throwing eggs, rolling around... he doesn't do that in Mario games. He does that stuff from his own games, the Yoshi series. Wario does weird stuff from WarioWare, or something, but he sure as hell never did it in Mario Land 2 or the Mario spinoffs. These characters have established series now- its not right to call them Mario reps.

Staarih

Smash Master
Hey, could someone point out a place where I can see all the additional pictures, I think they were from some press kit or something?

link2702

Smash Champion
Ehh, no. I think this is the best possible way to have competitive matches online. Instead of random matches having a period where players are trying to decide whether or not they want to use items, or which stages are competitive or not (as not all players will agree on that). There's a single mode where the battles are guaranteed to be fought on an even playing field. A step up from brawls online, no doubt.
except the playing field won't always be "even" While we don't know for sure if ice climbers will return, we know diddy will, and diddy had a few nasty tricks he could pull thanks to his banana's, tricks that are far easier to perform when he doesn't have to worry about platforms. There will also just inevitably be some characters that do better thanks to Final destinations setup than others(hence the reason it won't necessarily be "even"). At the very least battlefield and the animal crossing stage should of also been options

Yes it is a step up from brawl....but then again practically anything would be. Mark my words though, the "Final destination only" setup of for glory is going to have issues, there will inevitably be some characters who benefit more from its design than others, and thanks to this being the only stage, they'll always have an advantage.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Even though they technically aren't labeled as Mario reps, Wario and Yoshi are Mario characters. Even if they have spin offs. Luigi's Mansion/Dark Moon [or 2] don't make Luigi a non Mario character, do they? Donkey Kong first appeared in his own games, and Diddy Kong appeared in Donkey Kong games first. Mario series has became bigger than Donkey Kong's however.
Well, in Smash, Yoshi represents his own games, as do Wario (thus he having his Ware outfit), and so does DK. Yeah, it's true they were born in the Mario universe, and are technically Mario characters. But in Smash, they do not Count as such, representing their own Franchises. ^^ So I would say that, Mario has only 5 reps, and Pokémon will have 6 if Jiggly and Mewtwo are confirmed. But this is really a silly thing to argue, since we all know no one has put a limit to how many characters from each franchise Smash can have.

Too much arguments here. Will no one just sit down and stare at the Amazing items we've gotten? Bee Hive! Fire Bar! Tanuuki Tail! XD

... I wanna see Pikachu with a Tanuuki Tail.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
I don't see much talk about how AMAZING THE MUSIC WAS, except for that rock arrangement of Ballad of the Goddess. That one sounded...bleh.

THAT DK ROCKET BARREL REMIX!
THAT AREA 6 REMIX!
THAT SPARK MAN REMIX!
THAT PUNCH-OUT FIGHT SONG REMIX!
THAT PIKMIN THEME REMIX!
THAT KIRBY REMIX!
THAT X/Y BATTLE REMIX!
THAT COMET OBSERVATORY REMIX!
THAT GREAT FAIRY'S FOUNTAIN REMIX!
THAT YOSHI'S ISLAND REMIX!

It's all too wonderful ~ Embarrass

EDIT: Forgot that awesome Kapp'n Tune remix from New Leaf.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I love the fact that the 3DS version is coming out in the Summer. That makes the end of this College Semester more enjoyable to me.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I don't see much talk about how AMAZING THE MUSIC WAS, except for that rock arrangement of Ballad of the Goddess. That one sounded...bleh.

THAT AREA 6 REMIX!
THAT SPARK MAN REMIX!
THAT PIKMIN THEME REMIX!
THAT KIRBY REMIX!
THAT X/Y BATTLE REMIX!

oh yes. I was enjoying that... I liked the Ballad of the Goddess arrangement too. : )

Ike_n_Ike

Smash Cadet

THAT AREA 6 REMIX!
THAT SPARK MAN REMIX!
THAT PIKMIN THEME REMIX!
THAT KIRBY REMIX!
THAT X/Y BATTLE REMIX!

I got the feels too man, that stuff was sick. I was okay with the Ballad of the Goddess though; it was different but appealing!

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Speaking of music, I get the feeling Bridge of Eldin isn't going to be one of the returning stages on the Wii U version if the Ocarina of Time Medley in the Skyloft track listing is anything to by.

On the topic of My Music: The fact that he said "a treasure trove of music from past Super Smash Bros games" in reference to the Wii U version makes me think there may be some kind of music assignment feature.

Last edited:

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I'm really excited for the return of My Music on Wii U, though the two tracks per stage on 3DS affects me less as I tend to be multitasking when playing my 3DS so I play with the music off. Thus, even epic tracks typically slip by my notice.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm not really surprised by the 3DS version being like Melee with only two music tracks per stage. Music does take a lot of memory and with the sheer amount of items and stuff, it was bound to happen.

I think all two musics per stage on the 3DS version will also be assigned to stages on the Wii U version. For example, the two songs on Gerudo Valley could be on Skyloft too.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm not really surprised by the 3DS version being like Melee with only two music tracks per stage. Music does take a lot of memory and with the sheer amount of items and stuff, it was bound to happen.

I think all two musics per stage on the 3DS version will also be assigned to stages on the Wii U version. For example, the two songs on Gerudo Valley could be on Skyloft too.
That's what I'm thinking as well. And all the past stages from Brawl that don't return in the Wii U version will probably be available in My Music as well. The only thing that worries me is that there won't be as many original tracks from recent games, because games like Tropical Freeze and Super Mario Galaxy have way too many good songs to be left out because we needed a third remix of Jungle Japes or the Super Mario Bros theme.

Top Bottom