• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Source for both please, that sounds interesting.
The Direct?
DK's rolling attack was shown near the end with the character miniclips before the Greninja and Charizard trailer. Link's jump attack was shown when Sakurai said veterans were getting changes.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The Direct?
DK's rolling attack was shown near the end with the character miniclips before the Greninja and Charizard trailer. Link's jump attack was shown when Sakurai said veterans were getting changes.
Okay thanks, I'll go back to look at those. Link having a Jump Attack, sounds too good to be true.
Let's hope Samus can roll.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
The Source is the End Montage of all characters at the end of the direct. ^^ You see DK and Link and others do new moves there.

Also, Yoshi's Dash is now a kick. Bowser's Down Air works like Toon Link's and Sonic's.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The Source is the End Montage of all characters at the end of the direct. ^^ You see DK and Link and others do new moves there.

Also, Yoshi's Dash is now a kick. Bowser's Down Air works like Toon Link's and Sonic's.
No you're right, it's a kick.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I love you for this
I don't see why, but thank you. I almost care for you, too. :3
Hehe.

Oh, and Olimar now has a punching jab, and he makes a spin for his Neutral Air. Not like in Brawl, but a forward and around spin. Looks neat. It also appears that Marth can charge his Side Special. And Bowser's Back Air is a double kick.

RODO

Smash Ace
So, DK has his Rolling Attack from the Country games, and Link has his Jump Slash from all his 3D games. I love these new attacks for old characters.
I love you for this
I don't see why, but thank you. I almost care for you, too. :3
Hehe.

Oh, and Olimar now has a punching jab, and he makes a spin for his Neutral Air. Not like in Brawl, but a forward and around spin. Looks neat. It also appears that Marth can charge his Side Special. And Bowser's Back Air is a double kick.
I really hate DK's dash attack and I like how they changed it in PM so I'm very excited :3

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I love you for this

I really hate DK's dash attack and I like how they changed it in PM so I'm very excited :3
Well, I am happy to be loved. XD

And yeah, I know what you mean, DK's Dash Always felt a Little... off. He pretty much stops so early that it's hard to hit. So it's nice he rolls now. :)

Staarih

Smash Master
Oh, is it a new trend to love @ MasterofMonster MasterofMonster ? If so then I do too!

I haven't been able to re-watch the Direct yet because my phone is crappy but by the sound of it there have been minor things that I missed (like DK's rolling apparently?). It's great that old characters get changes too!

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
I knew some people will be disappointed...
However I am ecstatic! I never knew i wanted a water ninja frog..
Sucks that Mewtwo's chances are slimmer than ever.
And LOL Sakurai trolling Ridley...
Sad to see Ivysaur and Squirtle go but stoked to see Charizard.
HD FINAL DESTINATION OMG!!!!!!
And Zamus and Sheik seperate characters? WOW.
Overall I am pretty pleased with the Direct.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Oh, is it a new trend to love @ MasterofMonster MasterofMonster ? If so then I do too!

I haven't been able to re-watch the Direct yet because my phone is crappy but by the sound of it there have been minor things that I missed (like DK's rolling apparently?). It's great that old characters get changes too!
I asure you guys, I've done nothing to deserve that. D:
But it would be rude to not be flattered, so I am!

Another Neat thing I noticed. The Balloon Fighter stage. Peach flies right, off screen. Then appears on the left side. So, no KO'ing on the sides! Just Up, and down (by fish). :3

Ike_n_Ike

Smash Cadet
I've been keeping up with daily pics and all the smash bros hype lately and I noticed something.

Click on this link to be taken to the Nintendo Direct home page: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/04-08-2014/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and take a look at all the of the character portraits. They all are contained in their frames except Pikachu. Pikachu is the only fighter down there who brakes their frame and enters another fighters (Fox and Bowser, to be precise).

This is probably insignificant, but it struck me as odd. It reminded me of a little trick that Keiji Inafune (Megaman's creator) did in Megaman 2. He kept all of the bosses on the boss select screen inside their respective frames except Quickman.

Refer to this picture if you're curious (Of Megaman 2 boss select screen): http://076dd0a50e0man55009e-bd4b8aa...mages/files/000/003/593/original/original.jpg

He made Quickman stick out because he thought Quickman was particularly challenging. He was interviewed about the boss but I can't find the exact interview to cite it. Anyhow, he placed Quickman outside his border because he was significant and difficult.

Pikachu sticking out of his border reminded me of that interview.

Then there is the pic of the day leading up to the Nintendo Direct. Literally no mention of the actual picture, just Sakurai addressing the Nintendo Direct later in the day. On top of that, Pikachu is just chilling on top of the new box designs. While this may be just showing that crates now potentially become platforms, he could have done the same thing with Olimar or another tiny character.

I don't know... I just have this weird hunch that something very Pokemon-y is on its way, if the whole "Three Crates = Three Fighters to be Announced" thing stands true, there is a pretty high chance that one would be a Pokemon.

Maybe I'm just rambling and over-thinking it... but that Pikachu being out of his frame at the bottom of the Nintendo Direct webpage just has me wondering why... Feel free to call me out for being a bit loony...

[Sorry Fatmanonice, for putting this in the wrong thread earlier, I r n00b]
*Cough*

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
Should I be worried about not seeing a Xenoblade item in the direct? If this Smash doesn't get any Xenoblade items would this affect Shulk's chances?

Oh, and hello everyone!

Last edited:

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Should I be worried about not seeing a Xenoblade item in the direct? If this Smash doesn't get any Xenoblade items would this affect Shulk's chances?

Oh, and hello everyone!
Meh. The lack of Xenoblade could just be them setting up for Shulk to be announced at E3. Alternatively, Xenoblade could be left out in the cold (with the Wii U - :( ). I don't think the direct is particularly indicative of either option. We should know by E3, unless he's included as a secret character, and therefore release.

Staarih

Smash Master

Oh, and hello everyone!
I don't think there's no need to worry yet, items don't necessarily mean a character doesn't make it... or even that one does.

Speaking of items, we have quite a lot of items now, but from how many franchises? Can't check it myself at the moment, but do we have any Fire Emblem items shown yet, for example?

Last edited:

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
Meh. The lack of Xenoblade could just be them setting up for Shulk to be announced at E3. Alternatively, Xenoblade could be left out in the cold (with the Wii U - :( ). I don't think the direct is particularly indicative of either option. We should know by E3, unless he's included as a secret character, and therefore release.
I do think Shulk will be in the game..i just really want a Xenoblade stage but i don't think he will be announced at E3 2014

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
I do think Shulk will be in the game..i just really want a Xenoblade stage but i don't think he will be announced at E3 2014
See, if Shulk is to be Included, E3 might be the best place to announce him - right alongside an X release date. It would certainly help to build hype for both games, especially amongst those who have played Xenoblade and are looking forward to X. However, I'm probably banking slightly more on him being a secret character, to be honest.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Looks about as fast as Diddy's cartwheel in Brawl.

Usable.
No, Diddy's cartwheel activates a lot faster. Plus, DK's roll doesn't seem to travel as far (which is a neat detail, since in DKC1 it's also cartwheel > roll). I do like the change however! Don't get me wrong. Am just probably still too pissed off at Sheik to be reacting rationally.

Think am just bitter that I was right all along about Zelda / Sheik being split up and the Phantom being Zelda's new Down B, but didn't get it in the way I wanted... Sure, Impa still stands a chance as a solo character, but it would've been that much more likely if Sheik wasn't in.

Btw, Charizard is still ****ing awesome. I think am gonna make him one of my secondaries. Especially if Mewtwo ends up not making it. That reveal tease was just done sooo right... It was like 'Pikachu step yo' damn game up, AM THE KING OF POKEYMAN' and then proceed ****ing things up. Damn, really hope that Mewtwo makes it in so we can have that Pokémon Origins battle again, plus Mewtwo vs Lucario would be great. Hell, even Mewtwo vs Greninja would be an awesome match up I feel.

Let me just say it like this again: I was increasingly bitter about Sheik being back in Brawl because Mewtwo didn't make it back. I felt that Mewtwo warranted inclusion far over the likes of Sheik. Still do! However, I'll cease my hate on Sheik forever if Mewtwo is back. I'll be pissed off again however if Ike were to be cut. So yeah, my tollerance of Sheik will probably depend if those two are back. :mewtwopm::ike:

If Impa doesn't make it in, chances are am gonna play Sheik regardless as a secondary. I tend to have many secondaries... Diddy is always #1 however, and I have a few secondaries I'm far more serious about than others (:dk2::ike::mewtwopm:> :samus2::link2::marth::ness2::ganondorf::charizard:).

Am now a lot more hopeful about changes to Ganondorf's moveset after seeing more of other veterans. Love the changes done to Link and Samus so far! However why the **** does Link sitll have that Gayle Boomerang? Hope that customisable Special Attacks can change this. Speaking offff... That **** is dope as ****!

Also, Kremlings. ****ing Kremling Kritters are enemies! Sure this might not even mean that King K.Rool is in definitely, but it sure doesn't lower his chances either! Seriously, he might be the only Reptile King that'll make it in amongst Bowser this time. And am fine with that. As I honestly woudn't mind fighting Ridley on Pyrosphere (a thing I was also right about).

Think Ridley's deconfirmation has also caused way less trolling towards me with Sheik, so guess I should be thankful for that :rolleyes: Impa can still make it in I guess. Rosalina has proofed a character that might look and function similary to an excisting character (Peach) doesn't need to be a clone or related to that character at all. However, with the chances Sheik has gotten, I could easily see Impa being a semi clone (which is now more legit as Sheik is her own character now). But..... Am not getting my hopes up. Damn it Sakurai, I was really looking forward playing as a dreadlocked black woman in Smash (reason I liked Impa to, never outrightely stated this before).

Oh and, please no Mii and PacMan. I'd hate that ****.

Hope we'll see more veterans announced as quickly as the last couple (:sheik::zerosuitsamus::yoshi2::charizard:) as the game will release for 3DS this summer. It's very likely we know the full roster before that. Or at least, those who are not in a way supposed to be 'secret'. I have a few character I feel they'l;ll still reveal after the release date.

Characters I feel we will get before release date: :warioc: :falco: :lucas:/:ness2: :metaknight:* :gw:* :popo:* :falcon:*
Characters I feel might get hidden: :snake: :ike: :ness2: / :lucas: :mewtwopm: :ganondorf: :jigglypuff: :wolf:

Not too sold yet about MetaKnight, Mr Game & Watch, Ice Climbers and Captain Falcon. All of them could make sence being revealed afterwards. However, there have been so many hints towards Captain Falcon that I feel he's about as overdue as Yoshi was before all this.

Pffff lot's of text, lot's of typing... Haven't even said everything I wanted yet. Alas, I am mostly pleased however. Being right about Phantom, the Zelda / Sheik split up (which I got in a way I didn't want :rolleyes: ) and solo Charizard is awesome. And my most wanted actual newcomers, King K.Rool and Isaac are still full in the race! Am just kind of overruled by the bitter taste I still feel with Brawl, and the situation Mewtwo & Sheik I guess.

Xarreno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xarreno
3DS FC
1590-4746-0106
You guys probably already noticed this, but Isaac from Golden Sun was never shown as an assist trophy.

Also to note: if you go to the 6 min mark of the direct you can find Mario dodging a Blue Shell item. Or you can see at the end of this video at 2:08.

Last edited:

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I welcome the destruction of transformations.

First off the vast majority of people never bothered transforming mid-battle. Most people picked one and stuck with them. They're separate characters anyways so I welcome it. Also this frees up a new B-Special which I love.
Transformations are neat and I understand why some people would be upset, but I'm not. Everything about this decision makes sense to me.

Also though I admit this doesn't bode well for Ivysaur and Squirtle I don't think it means they're gone. They could just be secret character unlocks. People yelling "de-confirmed" are insane and jumping the gun... I also don't think they care about "needing a grass starter" or "having two Water Pokemon" and I have no idea why people would make those snap judgments. They don't NEED a grass Pokemon and don't NEED to have less than 2 Water Pokemon. That's basically an arbitrary decision based on some people's OCD for these kind of things. None of it means ANYTHING.

Also... Ridley fans. Stop grasping at straws. When he talks about bosses and says there will be OTHER bosses while showing Ridley's shadow... that means he is a BOSS. Sorry, he's not playable. I know you're desperate for him. I'd love him too. But it's just not happening. You guys will try to create any false logics to support him still having a chance but he simply doesn't have one (or at least a significant chance).

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
I welcome the destruction of transformations.

First off the vast majority of people never bothered transforming mid-battle. Most people picked one and stuck with them. They're separate characters anyways so I welcome it. Also this frees up a new B-Special which I love.
Transformations are neat and I understand why some people would be upset, but I'm not. Everything about this decision makes sense to me.

Also though I admit this doesn't bode well for Ivysaur and Squirtle I don't think it means they're gone. They could just be secret character unlocks. People yelling "de-confirmed" are insane and jumping the gun... I also don't think they care about "needing a grass starter" or "having two Water Pokemon" and I have no idea why people would make those snap judgments. They don't NEED a grass Pokemon and don't NEED to have less than 2 Water Pokemon. That's basically an arbitrary decision based on some people's OCD for these kind of things. None of it means ANYTHING.

Also... Ridley fans. Stop grasping at straws. When he talks about bosses and says there will be OTHER bosses while showing Ridley's shadow... that means he is a BOSS. Sorry, he's not playable. I know you're desperate for him. I'd love him too. But it's just not happening. You guys will try to create any false logics to support him still having a chance but he simply doesn't have one (or at least a significant chance).
Thing is, it looks far more likely squirtle and ivysaur are gone than there. Primarily for the reason that once Jiggly is announced, adding those two would make 7 Pokemon reps - 8 if he also adds Mewtwo. That's just an inordinate amount of Pokemon reps, and highly unlikely. Right now Ridley is in better shape than those two, I'm afraid - Ridley could be a tease still, even if his tail kinda suggests to me he's out. I really don't see 7/8 Pokemon reps at all.

Last edited:

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Thing is, it looks far more likely squirtle and ivysaur are gone than there. Primarily for the reason that once Jiggly is announced, adding those two would make 7 Pokemon reps - 8 if he also adds Mewtwo. That's just an inordinate amount of Pokemon reps, and highly unlikely. Right now Ridley is in better shape than those two, I'm afraid - Ridley could be a tease still, even if his tail kinda suggests to me he's out. I really don't see 7/8 Pokemon reps at all.
I don't think it's unlikely. Like many I counted the Reps to INCLUDE the transformations despite them not being shown in the character select directly.

That means (IF the developers think like this, I'm not Psychic) Brawl had Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle and Jigglypuff. 6 Reps. I don't think going up to 7 is anywhere out of the question. Even 8. Though I personally doubt Mewtwo is coming back (don't quote me, that is just a hunch based on very little).

Going up from 6 to 7? Easy Peasy. If you look at the transformations as the same character (which again, I never did) then yeah I understand why it would look odd. But I don't myself. :p

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
I don't think it's unlikely. Like many I counted the Reps to INCLUDE the transformations despite them not being shown in the character select directly.

That means (IF the developers think like this, I'm not Psychic) Brawl had Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle and Jigglypuff. 6 Reps. I don't think going up to 7 is anywhere out of the question. Even 8. Though I personally doubt Mewtwo is coming back (don't quote me, that is just a hunch based on very little).

Going up from 6 to 7? Easy Peasy. If you look at the transformations as the same character (which again, I never did) then yeah I understand why it would look odd. But I don't myself. :p
No other series has close to 7/8 characters. This isn't the Pokken Fighters game that Nintendo were touting not so long ago, and we're just not ever going to see Pokemon outnumber Mario in reps. Why would they underrepresent their main series just to slot Squirtle in? Sakurai is clearly removing all transformation characters, and Pokemon Trainer got the cut. You got Charizard, and a new Pokemon, and we'll probably get Jiggs soon. Hell, he might even surprise us with Mewtwo. But a Ivysaur and Squirtle are out as unnecessary transformation characters, there's just no chance they'd bloat the Pokemon rep share that much.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Sakurai always counted the Pokémon and other transformations as their own character. That's why he counts Brawl's roster at 38. That's 6 Pokémon.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai is clearly removing all transformation characters, and Pokemon Trainer got the cut. You got Charizard, and a new Pokemon, and we'll probably get Jiggs soon. Hell, he might even surprise us with Mewtwo. But a Ivysaur and Squirtle are out as unnecessary transformation characters, there's just no chance they'd bloat the Pokemon rep share that much.
Evidence? Your statement that Sakuri is "clearly removing all transformation characters" has zero backing. None. The lack of Ivysaur and Squirtle being announced is not evidence that they're gone just because they showed two other transformations. I'm not saying they're back for sure but you have absolutely nothing but pure speculation and conjecture to go by with no reliable logic behind it.

I mean for example Ridley being de-confirmed has some evidence at least. Talking about bosses, showing his shadow. Yeah it's not 100% until we get the game but the evidence is there. Statements saying he's clearly getting rid of Ivysaur and Bulbasaur have absolutely nothing supporting the statements. Traditionally if someone makes such a sure statement they have something besides pure guesswork and baseless conjecture to support it.

:002: :007:

And this:
Sakurai always counted the Pokémon and other transformations as their own character. That's why he counts Brawl's roster at 38. That's 6 Pokémon.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Despite my initial reaction I'm actually inclined to think that Squirtle and Ivysaur may not be gone after all. I mean, Sakurai made a big deal of separating the transforming characters in this direct and revealed Sheik and Zamus way after revealing Zelda and Samus... Then he reveals Charizard? It wouldn't be unlike Sakurai to do that and still keep the other two in. Perhaps I'm stupidly optimistic but it actually feels kinda likely that (at least) Ivysaur is still in. I don't see why Sakurai would cut two unique characters. From Melee to Brawl he cut exclusively clones & Mewtwo (Who, lore-wise is a clone so lol) but Mewtwo's moveset is very very similar to Lucario so there was at least a spiritual sequel type of deal. I would be surprised if he cut Squirtle and Ivysaur without at least having similar characters in SSB4.

Let me know if I'm grasping at straws but it really does make sense.

We're also assuming that there's only going to be a set number of characters per franchise. The Wii U and 3DS aren't wimpy systems, I think they can handle a bunch of characters. And I stand by this- if Toon Link can make it back then there's no reason any unique moveset character should be cut. And Sakurai is reasonable enough... I guess..

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I was pleased with the direct. Nothing on it really upset me. The bit with Ridley, I still feel that he is playable mostly because how they keep hiding him. If he was just a regular boss why not show him already? As for the part where it said other bosses would appear on other stages, Bowser is a boss, Wolf is a boss, Ganondorf is a boss and Ridley is a boss as well. They are all boss characters and 3 of the 4 have been/are playable.

I'm a really big fan of the multiple Final Destination idea though it would be nice if Battlefield got this too.

I like the idea of customizeable movesets too though I don't see why some people are jumping to the conclusion that they will be competitively banned. None of the ones we've seen appear to be broken and it gives players more variety with their playstyle.

I can see the whole 'reporting people online' thing being an issue but it'll be better than brawls stupid 'let's sit on Temple and do nothing but taunt and croutch' parties. The For Glory mode immediately worries me, mostly because I'm a Ganon main and chaingrabbers like Ice Climbers and spammers like Falco would make quick work of him on that stage but if that gets out of hand I'll probably spend most of my time on the For Fun mode.

Yoshi was my second favourite character to play as in brawl so I'm glad he's back and I like how he stands in this game.

Charizard coming back is awesome! He was my favourite of the Pokemon Trainers choices. As for Squirtle and Ivysaur I don't really care if they get put in and I'm leaning more towards the idea of them not being in but if they are put in then I'll be pleasantly surprised...unless they get in over Wolf.

If you had asked me before the direct what I thought of Greninja being a playable character I would have asked you 'Why that Pokemon of all choices?' but after seeing him in this trailer I'm glad to see him. Runs fast, jumps high, has a projectile, he looks amazing!

I love, love, LOVE the idea of Zelda being her own character since I use her and not Sheik and that Phantom looks like a beautiful move ^^.

As for Sheik, I like her new toys: the grenade thing and the flip jump that looks similar to the one ZSS had in brawl. I probably still won't use her but it's cool to see her return.

I like ZSS in brawl and P:M but I could never use her in brawl because I hate working with items and her best asset was those damn pieces. However now that she won't have them I might use her in Smash 4, though I can't quite put my finger on it, I don't like her design as much as the brawl one.

The new pokeball pokemon look neat (Eevee <3) and the new items look pretty cool, though that fairy in a bottle still confuses me.

Also with the idea of Mewtwo being cut, I don't see how Greninja affects him in the slightest. If they wanna put Mewtwo in they'll put him in. He has a pretty large fanbase and unlike the Ridley fans, the Mewtwo fans haven't been directly teased. It's all guessing if Mewtwo is in or not. If Mewtwo isn't put in I won't be too upset even though I use him in both Melee and P:M.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Evidence? Your statement that Sakuri is "clearly removing all transformation characters" has zero backing. None. The lack of Ivysaur and Squirtle being announced is not evidence that they're gone just because they showed two other transformations. I'm not saying they're back for sure but you have absolutely nothing but pure speculation and conjecture to go by with no reliable logic behind it.

I mean for example Ridley being de-confirmed has some evidence at least. Talking about bosses, showing his shadow. Yeah it's not 100% until we get the game but the evidence is there. Statements saying he's clearly getting rid of Ivysaur and Bulbasaur have absolutely nothing supporting the statements. Traditionally if someone makes such a sure statement they have something besides pure guesswork and baseless conjecture to support it.

:002: :007:

And this:
There's no evidence to support either conclusion. However, yours looks far more unlikely than mine. The Mario franchise, as their flagship, has never been outrepresented, and is highly unlikely to be by Pokemon, who based upon your speculation could end up at 8 reps if we're to believe Sakurai was truly considering Mewtwo as he stated. Equally, the pattern so far is two of three transformation characters have been seperated. That would suggest the Pokemon Trainer is being removed, supported by Charizard's solo appearance. With the line-up at four Pokemon already, and five Including Jiggs, it is highly unlikely given past history that Nintendo will allow their own flagship to be outrepresented by Pokemon by including Squirtle and Ivysaur, especially when we know Mewtwo is already under consideration. Hell, that would be six Gen 1 Pokemon - it's just not going to happen.

Also, there's no evidence whatsoever that Ridley is out. It's teased by Sakurai, sure - but that's just as likely to have been Meta-Ridley's shadow. Not to mention Toon Link is both playable and included within a stage. I couldn't really care less about Ridley, but there's absolutely nothing there suggesting Ridley is out that can't be countered by the points above.

Last edited:

UncleAndross

Smash Cadet
Don't know if it's already been pointed out but the Polar Bear enemy from IC can be seen in 3DS screenshots for that chase/race mode thing.
Possible Ice Climbers confirmation? (I know, hardly surprising).

Also the presence of Kremlins doesn't necessarily mean K. Rool is more likely, but the fact they were included alongside tikis may be significant...

Last edited:

Aogami

Smash Cadet
The evidence is right in the direct if you were paying attention he specifically state that "All characters will no longer have transformations so players can focus on one move set" so there is no further need for more proof than Sakurai himself.

Last edited:

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
There's no evidence to support either conclusion. However, yours looks far more unlikely than mine. The Mario franchise, as their flagship, has never been outrepresented, and is highly unlikely to be by Pokemon, who based upon your speculation could end up at 8 reps if we're to believe Sakurai was truly considering Mewtwo as he stated. Equally, the pattern so far is two of three transformation characters have been seperated. That would suggest the Pokemon Trainer is being removed, supported by Charizard's solo appearance. With the line-up at four Pokemon already, and five Including Jiggs, it is highly unlikely given past history that Nintendo will allow their own flagship to be outrepresented by Pokemon by including Squirtle and Ivysaur, especially when we know Mewtwo is already under consideration. Hell, that would be six Gen 1 Pokemon - it's just not going to happen.

Also, there's no evidence whatsoever that Ridley is out. It's teased by Sakurai, sure - but that's just as likely to have been Meta-Ridley's shadow. Not to mention Toon Link is both playable and included within a stage. I couldn't really care less about Ridley, but there's absolutely nothing there suggesting Ridley is out that can't be countered by the points above.
Yes there is. You don't seem to know what evidence is.

He specifically said there were more bosses and showed Ridley's shadow. He literally called Ridley a BOSS. What more evidence do you need? That is a flat out statement.

And Mario has been at least equally represented in Brawl. 6 Mario characters (though you could subdivide Yoshi and Wario). 6 Pokemon in Brawl. Sakurai himself said he considers transformations to be other characters.

EDIT: And the rule itself that "Mario can't be out represented" is arbitrary and based on nothing real or proven. Sure it can!

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Regarding AT's...

"Because they factor into All Star Mode, we want to include as many AT's as possible" - Paraphrased from the Direct
Fact: they already had working models and attack patterns for all AT's from Brawl, so there is minimal work from just porting ALL of them.

AT's from Brawl that WEREN'T shown in the AT reel of the direct (or the pictures after) - from my memory:

Barbara from the DS Band Brothers game - Eh... I'm guessing this is a one-off and she might not be back. No real relevance
Gray Fox - This would give Snake away, so I imagine if Snake's in, we'll get a Metal Gear AT. If not, obviously we won't.
Hammer Bro - He'll either be back, or just treated as an enemy in the Smash Run game... possibly replaced by Chain Chomp?
Helirin - who knows? Maybe replaced by Pong and Galaga?
Jill (Drill Dozer) - Might just be gone, since Drill Dozer is pretty dead at this point.
Kat & Ana - Presumably replaced by Ashley
Lakitu and Spinies - Same as Hammer Bro
Mr. Resetti - Eh who knows? he might be back.
Jeff (Earthbound) - My personal guess is that he'll be back as an AT, but I really don't know. with the EB re-release, I could actually see him playable, but I doubt it.
Shadow the Hedgehog - I'm guessing sonic will get an AT.. and I'm double guessing that Shadow wouldn't be playable
Excitebikes - interesting exclusion... although they could be replacing him with Galaga, but I doubt it
Tingle - Another interesting exclusion to me...
Ray MK III - I have to imagine Custom Robo will get some representation...
Advanced Wars troops - I always found them to be a fairly boring AT, so it's possible they are gone, but I bet the series gets some representation
Isaac - This is the conflicting one for me... I really am hoping for playable, but I don't know what to expect. Can't imagine he wouldn't show up somehow
Little Mac - Converted to Playable

I've colored them by how likely I would expect they are to be converted to playable characters. Obviously, Little Mac gives this as a possibility for all former AT's, so fingers crossed.

Legend:
Not at all likely
Possible as a huge WTF moment, but incredibly unlikely
Some likelihood. Still doubtful, but more likely
Really a coin flip. All three are from popular, non-represented series' that could be due for a BIG comeback. Advance Wars and Golden Sun also just got a lot of new recognition with the virtual console.
Float like a butterfly...sting like a bee.

Last edited:
Top Bottom