• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
No Chesnaught :(
Thats cuz Chespin's already a Pokeball :(. Also I wish they used Braixen instead. Having it use its stick to release fire wouldve been way cooler.

RIP Meloetta :'( at least you somehow made it into the game

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Anyone else here thinking that Zoroark is going to do what Ditto failed to do in Melee?

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Just watched the Direct. Freaking amazing. I got over Ridley's exclusion very quickly because of how amazing the rest was.
I lost my **** seeing the Fire Bar, Colour TV and Psuedo-Palutena.
Smash Run and online seems awesome. The multiple Final Destinations are excellent and Mega Man's final smash is godlike.
Greninja is just amazing.
I can't wait for this game to come out.
The amount of information this Direct gave was just mind blowing

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Watched the direct and must say it was pretty awesome. I may do a podcast on it pretty soon, TBD though.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
For the music-lovers out there, it would be great if we could begin to compile a list of all of the music tracks featured in the 04/08/2014 Nintendo Direct presentation.. I'm gonna try to possibly get started if I get a chance, but there were a lot of music tracks utilized (appropriately so)! All I know is that I heard something (whether the original track or a remix/arrangement) from every single Super Smash Bros. game as well as likely boatloads of other games (such as Pokemon X and Y music when Charizard showed up); thanks to the developers for giving the SSB64 music lots of love! <3 Much appreciated in advance!

And for the GIF makers out there, it would be great if we could get GIFs for...like everything XD. (primarily the Greninja segment, although I have a feeling that someone's doing that already...) XD
Here's most of the remaining music

20:29 - 21:03 SSBM - Pokefloats
21:04 - 22:04 Pikmin 2? - World Map (Arrangement)
22:05 - 22:45 Kid Icarus Uprising - Boss Theme 1 (Original)
22:53 - 23:25 Yoshi - The Flower Garden (Sounds new)
23:32 - 23:41 Kid Icarus - Underworld (Brawl Version)
23:50 - 24:33 Mario Galaxy - The Comet Observatory (Arrangement)
24:37 - 25:18 Mario Galaxy - Gusty Gardens
25:19 - 26:18 Punch Out - Main Theme (Arrangement)
26:19 - 27:18 Punch Out - Jogging Theme (Arrangement)
27:19 - 27:35 Punch Out - ??? Sounds like another main theme remix
27:36 - 27:51 Punch Out - ???
27:52 - 28:34 Animal Crossing - ???
28:34 - 29:18 Mega Man ? - ???
29:23 - 30:20 ???
30:21 - 30:53 SSB4 - Main Theme
30:58 - 31:01 SSBB - Boss Battle
31:01 - 31:04 Metroid Other M - Ridley Theme
31:05 - 31:10 SSBB - Samus Victory Theme
31:27 - 33:41 SSBB - Battlefield
33:42 - 34:32 SSB4 - Main Theme
34:33 - 36:42 SSB64 - Credits (Arrangement)
36:50 - 37:04 SSBB - Pokemon Main Theme
37:09 - End Pokemon XY - Trainer Battle (Arrangement)

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Also, suck it to anyone who said the phantom would be an AT.
The dream was kept alive.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
27:19 - 27:35 Punch Out - Get Up Little Mac/Main Theme (Arrangement)
27:36 - 27:51 Punch Out - Get Up Little Mac!
27:52 - 28:34 Animal Crossing - Kapp'n's Song (Arrangement)

28:34 - 29:18 Mega Man ? - ???
29:23 - 30:20 ???
did 3 more, also amazing how hard it was to find a not-cover of Kapp'n's Song like holy hell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUpYGZ0Mgv8
Watched the direct and must say it was pretty awesome. I may do a podcast on it pretty soon, TBD though.
man, I got SMYN to watch and KDJ also did one of these, will it ever end?!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What were the namco items? Were they classified as "Smash" items or given a namco logo or something?
They weren't given anything.

They were shown in a press kit. Not the direct.

link2702

Smash Champion
I really like you can't transform into Sheik..more pepole will use Zelda
...or not.

If zelda overall still sucks like in past games people won't use her.

EDIT: on another note, really can't stress how much this direct realy worried me about the new smash.

the thing I hated seeing the most was how matches were going to be "Moderated"

Nintendo really derped up with this one, their "solution" to getting rid of taunt partiers/triple teaming will cause far worse issues to happen, mainly, any good players who might just flat out be outplaying their opponent(s), will get banned because a butthurt kid didn't like how he was getting destroyed. Smash4's online is going to be huge out of the door, Nintendo can't really expect those they hire to "moderate" any matches that get reported, to trully watch them to see what happens, they'll more than likely do things like they do on miiverse, just hit the warn/ban button and be done with it and go to the next one.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Aw, that Ridley tease made me sad. But then all that hype! The hype train never ends!

I never really thought he'd be a feasible character due to size constraints (he's always huge except in Metroid) but I'd like a Metroid rep that isn't Samus (or any of the feds). Perhaps Space Pirate? Come on, Generic Space Pirate!

I loved the Yoshi's Island main theme. I've had that song in my head and subconsciously whistled it aloud for about 16 years. lol

Aw, that Ridley tease made me sad. But then all that hype! The hype train never ends!

I never really thought he'd be a feasible character due to size constraints (he's always huge except in Metroid) but I'd like a Metroid rep that isn't Samus (or any of the feds). Perhaps Space Pirate? Come on, Generic Space Pirate!
I actually really like generic pirate. Martial arts, lasers, dive kicks. He's got it all.

Man these post just can't merge.

Last edited by a moderator:

link2702

Smash Champion
I'm sorry but I have to leave this here.

It really does feel like sakurai is trolling us competitive players with this mode.......

Its not only insulting due to him/nintendo also seeming to believe the stereotype casual players have plastered on us(fox only, final destination, no items) but the mode right next to it also seems to slightly imply that sakurai also seems to think its not possible to "have fun competitively"

Shroob

Sup?
It really does feel like sakurai is trolling us competitive players with this mode.......

Its not only insulting due to him/nintendo also seeming to believe the stereotype casual players have plastered on us(fox only, final destination, no items) but the mode right next to it also seems to slightly imply that sakurai also seems to think its not possible to "have fun competitively"
....Or... it could be targeted to people like me who don't play Smash at a competitive level and mainly play it for fun and because it has characters we love in it.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery

I don't think the "For Glory" mode is not supposed to be a screw you to Hardcore Fans..

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
I'm kind of mixed, for every fighting game I play, with the exception of Skullgirls, I try to play at a high competitive level, but I do it casually... If that makes any sense. I don't play to win, I play to have fun, but I also want to play with the best of them and show them my stuff.

I'm totally open with the For Glory mode, it's an awesome idea, especially the fact that nearly every stage as a Final Destination-style version of it.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
wonder if the stage hazard appears all the time? I geuss there is a chance is ridley is present no stage hazard. I am still not counting my eggs.

Simensis

Smash Apprentice
If anything, I beleive the chances of Ridley have just got higher. Look at the way he teased, Sakurai has not being vague with confirmed or disconfirmed characters, he straightly says "By the way, he is an Assist Trophy" or something. Even with the (HORRIBLE) troll of Zero Suit Samus, he said "She's not in this time" (Seriously, my heart skipped for seconds) and then confirmed her. By following this pattern tease is followed by confirmation.

link2702

Smash Champion
....Or... it could be targeted to people like me who don't play Smash at a competitive level and mainly play it for fun and because it has characters we love in it.
then why add the "for glory" mode in the first place when the mode right next to it is the one players like yourself would most enjoy?

Its clear that the "for glory" mode was made in an attempt to acknowledge competitive players. But the reason I feel its more insulting than anythingt, is the fact that more thought wasn't put into it. The least sakurai could of done was make sure other neutral stages like battlefield and the animal crossing stage were in it. But as it currently is, it seems like sakurai/nintendo quite literally listened to the lame meme/stereotype put on the smash community and took them seriously as if this was how it was honestly played.

Also we all know there is going to be some character who greatly benefits from FD's straightfoward no platform design, much like in brawl and melee. the fact that this mode has a 1v1 option means that when the community figures out which character this is, Said character will spread like a weed through this mode and they'll be the only viable option.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So did anyone else notice the blue shell and DK has his rolling attack from DKC?
then why add the "for glory" mode in the first place when the mode right next to it is the one players like yourself would most enjoy?

Its clear that the "for glory" mode was made in an attempt to acknowledge competitive players. But the reason I feel its more insulting than anythingt, is the fact that more thought wasn't put into it. The least sakurai could of done was make sure other neutral stages like battlefield and the animal crossing stage were in it. But as it currently is, it seems like sakurai/nintendo quite literally listened to the lame meme/stereotype put on the smash community and took them seriously as if this was how it was honestly played.

Also we all know there is going to be some character who greatly benefits from FD's straightfoward no platform design, much like in brawl and melee. the fact that this mode has a 1v1 option means that when the community figures out which character this is, Said character will spread like a weed through this mode and they'll be the only viable option.
I don't see how we're being trolled. Sure there could be some battlefield versions of other stages but it's not like the For Glory mode will be used for tournaments or anything seeing as you verse random people online.

As for the names, I don't think For Fun means that is the only way to have fun playing Smash, it just means it's where you go to have some silly, no stakes matches where the focus is away from being serious.

Last edited:

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
You can't honestly expect Sakurai and Nintendo to put up a competative stage list with a few neutrals like we have and still maintain a straight face. After the disaster of Brawl, it's a miracle that they acknowledge a competative side with a ranking. I also don't think it's aimed at competative players, the For Glory mode, it's more of just a ranking for the players who enjoy playing smash but also enjoy rankings in general.

I'm glad they added that.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
You can't honestly expect Sakurai and Nintendo to put up a competative stage list with a few neutrals like we have and still maintain a straight face. After the disaster of Brawl, it's a miracle that they acknowledge a competative side with a ranking. I also don't think it's aimed at competative players, the For Glory mode, it's more of just a ranking for the players who enjoy playing smash but also enjoy rankings in general.

I'm glad they added that.
I'll probably play For Fun and For Glory equally, but ultimately most of my multiplayer experience will be with friends and set up specifically to how we want it.

link2702

Smash Champion
So did anyone else notice the blue shell and DK has his rolling attack from DKC?

I don't see how we're being trolled. Sure there could be some battlefield versions of other stages but it's not like the For Glory mode will be used for tournaments or anything seeing as you verse random people online.

As for the names, I don't think For Fun means that is the only way to have fun playing Smash, it just means it's where you go to have some silly, no stakes matches where the focus is away from being serious.
I realize that obviously no one will ever really play online truly competitively, and that offline tournaments will still be the true format for competitive play, with the community having a far better ruleset and stagelist

but....IDK...it just feels to me like this mode is poking fun at/insulting the competitive smash community in some ways...

EDIT: IDK maybe its just that I'm paranoid now after brawl....

At least the custom moveset option intrigues me.....potential for more tweaking of rules/options to better balance the game to at least some degree.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
@ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong I can't believe you were right... I completely stand corrected. I can't believe this. I feel like crying.
Almost...

Guess Impa can now make more sense as a semi clone of Sheik now she is a character on her own but... What the ****? Why make her a separate character? Glad I kept an open mind about this all in the end because damn... Nothing quite killed my hopes for Impa than Zelda showing off the Phantom as her new Down B, and one minute later: Sheik pops up.

Glad Diddy was confirmed earlier, so that I can at least claim to not give as much of a ****. Yet, it kinda sucks having supported the Zelda / Sheik split up so long, and now we are getting it, there's no Impa. Yes, guess I should get used to it now cause Sheik is now probably forever a lock. You guys win in that regard. I can at least say I was right that splitting up Zelda / Sheik was a good move, and that the Phantom INDEED is a new Down B attack. However, who would've thought it ended up like this? Kinda mixed on it all... However, Sheik being separate now makes me tollerate the character more (she isn't holding back Zelda anymore).

Greninja made me go WTF again. Was kinda dissapointed, cause ever since I saw a thin builded frame in the shadows charging up some energy attack I was seriously expecting Mewtwo. However, it's cool they added Greninja, as a sort of rival to Charizard. Wonder if we might see a Grass starter of sorts to! If so, my vote goes fully to Sceptile! It'd make the most sence to me to. Charizard / Fire : Heavy weight. Greninja / Water : Light Weight. Sceptile / Grass : Middle weight. Still! I'd much rather have Mewtwo.

Am pretty sure that Sakurai will cut Squirtle and Ivysaur now however.

Also... Don't like to say it but, Fennekin's flame attack looks very similar to PK Fire. And I do not like that. Hopefully this means Ness no longer has that attack.

Summer release date might also mean we'll likely know the full roster in 3 months notice. So that's also nice. Hopefully Sakurai will keep revealing veteran fighters at this pace.

Yoshi is still cute to. Glad to have finally seen him to.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I realize that obviously no one will ever really play online truly competitively, and that offline tournaments will still be the true format for competitive play, with the community having a far better ruleset and stagelist

but....IDK...it just feels to me like this mode is poking fun at/insulting the competitive smash community in some ways...

At least the custom moveset option intrigues me.....potential for more tweaking of rules/options to better balance the game to at least some degree.
Yes I'm interested to see whether the competitive community will just ban or implement customised movesets. It will probably be banned but who knows, there might be an agreed upon balanced version of a character.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash

Man are you serious? Nobody's poking fun at anybody for anything. It's just a mode for people who want their wins and losses to be shown, with more tightly controlled conditions. The thing is, EVERYONE will have a GSP, regardless of whether they play For Fun or For Glory. The only difference between the two is that one allows you to mess up without the whole world seeing it, and the other lets you show off your skills and say "hey look! I only have this many losses against RANDOM PLAYERS." No one's taking shots at the competitive scene, this mode is just for people who would rather not play with items or stage hazards or any of the random crap that can turn a game's result in a second. If anything, it's set up to make it easier for players like that to find other people to play with, which is a bonus if you ask me.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
By the way, there will be 4 people battling at a time in For Glory. So chaingrabbing and whatnot won't work too well while you get pummeled by the other two guys on the stage.

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
Wait, seriously? He does? Anyone have a gif of DK doing it, or have the exact time during the Direct?

Edit: Nevermind, saw it, doesn't really look like a full roll, or he just cancelled out of it really quickly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom