• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

Aogami

Smash Cadet
Just to point this out in case nobody else has in the direct it showcased Samurai Goroh as an AT which all but confirms C. Falcon as returning and the same with Ness what with the press release pictures showing Mr. Saturn and another Earthbound item returning.

So that would leave Jigglypuff as the last of the original 12 so I doubt that she would be the only one cut.

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Jigglypuff and C. Falcon have yet to be shown because they will likely be unlockable as they were in Brawl. They were never shown in those games either until Sakurai went into spoiler mode post release. I'm not sure but Ness may have fallen into that category too

UncleAndross

Smash Cadet
I feel the 'too many mario reps' debate is a bit silly. Nintendo basically shares its branding with the Mario series.
The 2 are hardly distinguishable. If there is any franchise that doesn't need to deal with a limit, it's Mario. Almost every Mario character is worthy as they are synonymous with nintendo. Every Mario item or assist trophy is welcome, we don't even bother to count their inclusion.

Mario is Nintendo

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I froze frame his wing. Nothing to see really. It's just the skin part. I will say it doesn't look like Meta-Ridley's wings because it doesn't have that energy-ish wave look. It looks like flesh. But I can't really tell.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
I froze frame his wing. Nothing to see really. It's just the skin part. I will say it doesn't look like Meta-Ridley's wings because it doesn't have that energy-ish wave look. It looks like flesh. But I can't really tell.
It's his tail. Somebody compared the freeze frame to Ridley's tail in Other M. Same shape, seems to match up pretty well.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I noticed something in the Direct: Waluigi had the Wario series for his franchise symbol. This is odd for the fact he has never been in a Wario game (so the Super Mario series symbol he was sporting in Brawl makes much more sense.)

But either way, both Waluigi & Ashley makes it very clear Wario is coming back (yay).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I noticed something in the Direct: Waluigi had the Wario series for his franchise symbol. This is odd for the fact he has never been in a Wario game (so the Super Mario series symbol he was sporting in Brawl makes much more sense.)

But either way, both Waluigi & Ashley makes it very clear Wario is coming back (yay).
Didn't Animal Crossing(and other characterless stages) have a franchise logo in Brawl? Just saying.

Not that there was ever any doubt about Wario coming back.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Didn't Animal Crossing(and other characterless stages) have a franchise logo in Brawl? Just saying.

Not that there was ever any doubt about Wario coming back.
Yes Animal Crossing had a symbol in Brawl (same with Nintendo DS & Electroplankton).

I never had doubt Wario was going to return but those 2 characters and symbol makes it much more obvious.

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
In regards to Mario spinoff characters counting as Mario reps, I think Yoshi and Wario are completely different. Yoshi is a main character in tons of non spinoff major Mario games, plus Mario even has a major role (as a baby) in some of Yoshi's games. Yoshi is a Mario character.

Wario....is different. Wario debuted as a villain in SML2 but he hasn't really been a part of the Mario series since then outside of party/sports games. And similarly, Mario has not had a major role in Wario's games either. The Wario franchise also has a large amount of characters that are never featured in Mario games(not even spinoffs), unlike Donkey Kong or Yoshi. I think Wario has earned his franchise symbol, his franchise is unique and separate from the Mario games.

Edit: Wario was playable in Mario 64 DS, but that's still not a big deal. It's a remake.

The real question is, why isn't Mario considered a DK rep? His first appearance was in Donkey Kong :troll:

Awesome direct, I love the picture dump as well. Where's the 3DS pictures?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm going to be very honest here I can understands that people are disappointed of some deconfirrmation or stuff that you didn't want but what I can't understand is th whole disappointment of the whole game after this direct. Really I fought that people would be happy (unless some things but mostly happy) and now it seems like people are way too negative. Geninja confirm does NOT equal mew two deconfirmed nor ibysaur and squirrel (but I'd agree except mew two, their chance decreased) so why being so mad? Ridley deconfirmation? ok yes it is implied that he actually is but still there's something we don't know and I wonder what it is. so now I wonder why don't you just look both positive AND negative?

my two cents

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

I shouldn't be surprised since I'm technically a part of it myself, but damn does the mod community work fast these days.

This is just over Sheik in Brawl, by the way.

Reader

Smash Apprentice
Did anybody else see the hints for Wario being playable?

I noticed that Sakurai used Wario symbol when he introduced Waluigi assist trophy and not Mario symbol. I think it is safe to assume that Wario character (most likely Wario himself) is playable. Most assist trophies without playable characters used smash bros logo (Nintendogs also had his own symbol).

My apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Edit: Looks like I got Greninja'd

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I'm stoked about Pit's updates, especially his new Final Smash. A liiiiiitle bummed it's not the Great Sacred Treasure from the final chapter of Uprising, but glad it's not just Return of the Centurions.
As it stands...
DJ Sakurai GIF.gif

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
What's the general consensus on Mega Lucario? I see many people label it as a Final Smash but to me it looks like he is lacking the "shine" of the Smash Ball. Then again, the footage of him is pretty short. But maybe mega evolution will be triggered some other way? Dunno.

Anyway, I liked the general idea of someone regarding mega evolutions that we'd get a normal mega evolution (Lucario), an X-exclusive one (Charizard) and Y-exclusive one (Mewtwo). We'll see.

HeroOfClocktown

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeroOfClocktown
Hi guys, this is my first post here.

I noticed people were commenting on the small scene with what was a hint towards Ridley - I managed to get a screenshot of the "Wing" or "Tail" people are talking about. I can't quite make out what it is, but it is the best screenshot I can get. I paused about 100 times to get this somewhat clear shot.

Make what you will of it. It seems too thin to be a wing, but if it's his tail - I think we can confirm that he won't be playable, considering that only his tail is taking up such a big part of the screen.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Mega Lucario sounds more like a new mechanic for Lucario instead of a Final Smash. The way Sakurai phrases it makes it sound more like a permanent change rather than a temporary buff. The footage with Mega Lucario also doesn't have the darkened backgrounds and he doesn't have the glowing eyes or final smash aura.

Not as sure with Megazard. He doesn't have the glowing eye or aura either, but both the shots with him have the darkened background, which does imply it's a final smash, but there could easily just be someone else with a smash ball.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
No transformations from Brawl had the Final Smash aura nor does Giga Mac, implied to be the Final Smash for Little Mac (they were showing off the Final Smashes of the newcomers). In addition the video ended with the two Mega transformations paired with what is clearly Greninja's Final Smash, which we can take as a pretty clear hint.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
So we're missing something, eh? It can't be Ridley or Palutena. Possibly the fact that it looks like the Mechonis (Xenoblade) is a 3DS stage in one of ZSS's site pics? But that isn't in the Direct... Hmm, Kremlings = K. Rool? That's been talked about, as well as Bandana Dee's chances going up, Isaac's AT absence, Wii Fit TRAINERS being plural now, lack of female Villager, the Namco items possibly lending to a Namco character = Pac-man. I haven't seen anybody talk about the lack of Shadow or any Sonic AT, though. Somebody in the GoNintendo page comments also said they saw something that was enormous but didn't want to outright spoil it (but hinted towards it being either during the showing of the Balloon Fight stage or around that time-frame in the video).

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
[Given that paranoia-inducing "tip" from that guy] I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that they hid a vet or even a newcomer in the Direct somewhere. Not just hinting, but literally showing the character or something a little less Direct than that, like an audio clip of, say, the "Kick" in "Falcon Kick."

We need someone to go frame-by-frame when the four projectiles and Mario are all rushing at Charizard. A lot of ground is covered there.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Someone mentioned something big being in the Balloon Fight stage area and I didn't detect anything after pausing over and over frame by frame in that area.

Is anyone sure that Cranky is still in Jungle Japes? What if Cranky's missing from Jungle Japes?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Doesn't it seem odd that when Waluigi was mentioned, he had the logo that represented Wario's franchise. He's not even in any of Wario's games.

peachy!

super princess
I hope the Balloon Fight thing that is supposedly "huge" isn't that the stage doesn't have side KOs.
The stage had its own logo as well instead of the Smash Bros. series icon. Then again, so did the Living Room, Find Mii, and Pilotwings stages.

ETA: Diddy Kong’s Brawl art is displayed every time he is shown in battle.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In regards to Mario spinoff characters counting as Mario reps, I think Yoshi and Wario are completely different. Yoshi is a main character in tons of non spinoff major Mario games, plus Mario even has a major role (as a baby) in some of Yoshi's games. Yoshi is a Mario character.

Wario....is different. Wario debuted as a villain in SML2 but he hasn't really been a part of the Mario series since then outside of party/sports games. And similarly, Mario has not had a major role in Wario's games either. The Wario franchise also has a large amount of characters that are never featured in Mario games(not even spinoffs), unlike Donkey Kong or Yoshi. I think Wario has earned his franchise symbol, his franchise is unique and separate from the Mario games.

Edit: Wario was playable in Mario 64 DS, but that's still not a big deal. It's a remake.

The real question is, why isn't Mario considered a DK rep? His first appearance was in Donkey Kong :troll:

Awesome direct, I love the picture dump as well. Where's the 3DS pictures?
Wario has, but Donkey Kong hasn't?

When is the last time a mario enemy appeared in a mario game or vice versa

Except spin off sports games, and the likes

Not to mention the Donkey Kong name has been a major seller, while Wario hasn't

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
Someone mentioned something big being in the Balloon Fight stage area and I didn't detect anything after pausing over and over frame by frame in that area.

Is anyone sure that Cranky is still in Jungle Japes? What if Cranky's missing from Jungle Japes?
Yeah I just checked, pretty sure he is still there.

On a sidenote, the part with Sonic and Mario fighting on the Halberd, I previously noticed Mario airdodging out of hitstun, but this time I noticed, after Sonic's backair, he airdodges out of hitstun.....AND his momentum comes to a halt until he starts coming back to the stage....

Ugh, PLEASE do not tell me that momentum canceling is coming back D:

Yeah I just checked, pretty sure he is still there.

On a sidenote, the part with Sonic and Mario fighting on the Halberd, I previously noticed Mario airdodging out of hitstun, but this time I noticed, after Sonic's backair, he airdodges out of hitstun.....AND his momentum comes to a halt until he starts coming back to the stage....

Ugh, PLEASE do not tell me that momentum canceling is coming back D:
So both hit stun and momentum canceling may be coming back?

****ing lame bro...

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
[Given that paranoia-inducing "tip" from that guy] I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that they hid a vet or even a newcomer in the Direct somewhere. Not just hinting, but literally showing the character or something a little less Direct than that, like an audio clip of, say, the "Kick" in "Falcon Kick."

We need someone to go frame-by-frame when the four projectiles and Mario are all rushing at Charizard. A lot of ground is covered there.
Maybe its like Furfrou in one of the Pokemon trailers where it had only a frame or two of screen time before it was revealed!

Top Bottom