• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
SamuraiPanda said:
This character is a character.

This character is not Zero Suit Samus. Because Zamus was already discussed.
This character might have a red costume. All characters have red/pink costumes ~ Team Battle.
This character is not too big. Too vague.
This character has a recovery. All characters have recoveries, except Yoshi... sort of.
This character is not old. Contradictory.
This character has smash attacks. All characters have smash attacks.
This character is not new. Contradictory.
This character can use items. All characters can use items, but only few can generate them.
This character is not King Dedede. Because D3 was already discussed.
This character might be Magikarp. The most useful hint as of yet.

This character is not a homerun bat. Items?
This character might have hair. Might isn't good enough.
This character is not banned. None are banned, and MK was already done.
This character can be selected. T_T
This character is not Norfair. Stages?!
This character can jump. All characters can jump.
This character is not a deku nut. Items?
This character has hands. Useful...
This character is not hard to lose with. Too vague
This character might be a character. kthx

Can you decipher the real hint?

It can't be any of these characters because they have already been discussed:

Metaknight
Wolf
Game & Watch
Snake
Diddy Kong

R.O.B.
Falco
Ganondorf
Link
King DeDeDe

Toon Link
Zelda
Samus
Captain Falcon
Pikachu

Marth
Bowser
Kirby
Mewtwo
Lucario

Pit
Yoshi
Ice Climbers
Sheik
Donkey Kong

Olimar
Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
Peach
Sonic the Hedgehog

Mario
Ike

This leaves behind only:

Ness
Lucas
PT
Wario
Fox

The only help I provided was probably, those above 5 characters. All of those characters have hands. Only Wario can generate items. All of those characters have hair, except for PT's Pokemon. Fox has fur... Wario is not as hard to lose with compared to the other 4, whom are around low tier compared to Wario's high tier status.

I'm leaning towards Wario

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
It can't be any of these characters because they have already been discussed:

[/FONT]Metaknight
Wolf
Game & Watch
Snake
Diddy Kong

R.O.B.
Falco
Ganondorf
Link
King DeDeDe

Toon Link
Zelda
Samus
Captain Falcon
Pikachu

Marth
Bowser
Kirby
Mewtwo
Lucario

Pit
Yoshi
Ice Climbers
Sheik
Donkey Kong

Olimar
Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
Peach
Sonic the Hedgehog

Mario
Ike

This leaves behind only:

Ness
Lucas
PT
Wario
Fox

The only help I provided was probably, those above 5 characters. All of those characters have hands. Only Wario can generate items. All of those characters have hair, except for PT's Pokemon. Fox has fur... Wario is not as hard to lose with compared to the other 4, whom are around low tier compared to Wario's high tier status.

I'm leaning towards Wario
SUPREME VICTORY.

No, seriously. I think this is it.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
sounds like ness to me. was that obvious?

or then again... maybe not. not old and not new makes it sound like it first appeared in melee.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
But for now, I say Jigglypuff.

Because the font is arial.

And Jiggs has a primarily aerial fighting style.

lololololololol
I was right on a crack theory, lmao.

Guys, listen to what Panda said a page back:

I made a subtle change that might help push you guys in the right direction. If more help is needed later I may add more to the hint.
He changed the hint. However, if you simply view the hint from the thread, it is almost completely the same as it was before.

Old hint:

This character is not Zero Suit Samus. This character might have a red costume. This character is not too big. This character has a recovery. This character is not old. This character has smash attacks. This character is not new. This character can use items. This character is not King Dedede. This character might be Magikarp.

This character is not a homerun bat. This character might have hair. This character is not banned. This character can be selected. This character is not Norfair. This character can jump. This character is not a deku nut. This character has hands. This character is not hard to lose with. This character might be a character.

Can you decipher this hint?
New hint:

This character is not Zero Suit Samus. This character might have a red costume. This character is not too big. This character has a recovery. This character is not old. This character has smash attacks. This character is not new. This character can use items. This character is not King Dedede. This character might be Magikarp.

This character is not a homerun bat. This character might have hair. This character is not banned. This character can be selected. This character is not Norfair. This character can jump. This character is not a deku nut. This character has hands. This character is not hard to lose with. This character might be a character.

Can you decipher the real hint?
Read through it carefully. There's absolutely no difference, except the addition of "real".

However, in it's HTML format, you'll notice something strange about the new hint (I added a's to leave the HTML viewable):

[FONTa=Arial]This character is a character.

[/FONTa] [FONTa=Arial]This character is not Zero Suit Samus. This character might have a red costume. This character is not too big. This character has a recovery. This character is not old. This character has smash attacks. This character is not new. This character can use items. This character is not King Dedede. This character might be Magikarp.

[/FONTa] [FONTa=Arial]This character is not a homerun bat. This character might have hair. This character is not banned. This character can be selected. This character is not Norfair. This character can jump. This character is not a deku nut. This character has hands. This character is not hard to lose with. This character might be a character.

[/FONTa] [FONTa=Arial] Can you decipher the real hint? [/FONTa]
Isn't it strange how the [/FONTa]'s are on a different line? And isn't also strange that there are font changes on every paragraph, when simply putting font tags around the whole hint would be much, much easier?

The [/FONTa]'s were not like this in the original hint. As I remember it, they were after each paragraph, like this:

[FONTa=Arial]This character is a character. [/FONTa]
This is the aspect of the hint that was changed that Samurai talked about. This is the "real" hint.

Which means that "Arial" is indeed our hint, (both paragraphs are red herrings) so my quote at the the top of this post is correct. Originally, I thought it could only be Jigglypuff, but I realized Wario also has a strong aerial game (Squirtle too, but unless proven otherwise, I believe the SBR is going to do PT as one character, meaning it couldn't be him).

What I'm questioning now is, does the changing of placement of the [/FONTa]'s have ANOTHER trick to them? I'm thinking that, because they are spaced differently (both from the paragraph before and after them) that the character is one that also relies on spacing. Quote the OP yourselves; you'll see a large amount of space between the [/FONTa] and the next paragraph (it doesn't show in my quote).

I'm not partcularly knowledgeable on any of the remaining characters, so I now ask all of you:

Out of Fox, Jigglypuff, PT, Wario, Lucas, and Ness, which one is the most dependant on both aerial fighting and spacing?

The answer to that question is the answer to our hint.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I actually hope it is not Wario, I will be selfless and say I hope it is Ness.

Delvro

Smash Ace
I would say wario and jiggs both are extremely reliant on spacing (and both have good aerial mobility) and aerial combat in general.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Jigglypuff is the Arial king.

But how could that have ever meant Ike?

EDIT: Besides, Jiggs doesn't have hands or a red costume, or the things which are so obvious that no one would ever think them non-universal.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
wow. with that clue, I like jigglypuff for the character :) of course ness relies on his aerials too, but not like jiggly does.

and who thinks jigglypuff is a dude? <.<

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
cancel the aerial by hitting the ground?

Instead of the Ariel ending in the air, it drops down two lines.

Although, then the Ariel starts again... Hmm... I think this might be something, but I'm not sure quite what. :p Just throwing it out for someone else to continue or dismiss.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
But how could that have ever meant Ike?
...lolwut? @_@ What does this have to do with Ike?
EDIT: Besides, Jiggs doesn't have hands or a red costume, or the things which are so obvious that no one would ever think them non-universal.
All the text in the hint is a red herring, don't pay any attention to it. It's the fact that the font is "arial" that is the "real" clue, along with, possibly, the fact that the font tags are "spaced".

Although...Jiggs DOES have hands and a red costume (everyone has a red costume). Not that it matters, but even if you decided to try to take the hint literally and applied every line to Jiggs, she would still fit. It's just that, a lot of the other characters would fit as well, and since there's nothing left to analyze, the only explanation is that it's not the true hint.

cancel the aerial by hitting the ground?

Instead of the Ariel ending in the air, it drops down two lines.

Although, then the Ariel starts again... Hmm... I think this might be something, but I'm not sure quite what. :p Just throwing it out for someone else to continue or dismiss.
Haha, pretty clever. :p But I don't see how that can apply to the hint...every character can cancel their aerials, it's not something incredibly specific, much like the text itself.

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
Hitting the ground could mean something, though. Jiggly can stay in the air and continually toss out aerials even while onstage. Wario does a SH, advances, aerials, retreats, hits the ground, and repeats. That's his spacing technique.
So I'm thinking Wario.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Not discrediting the current deciphering of the hint, I think it's genius stuff... but...

Since when does Jigglypuff have hands?

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Hitting the ground could mean something, though. Jiggly can stay in the air and continually toss out aerials even while onstage. Wario does a SH, advances, aerials, retreats, hits the ground, and repeats. That's his spacing technique.
So I'm thinking Wario.
I just remembered something, lol. <_> In its original form, the /font tags were not placed as they are now, they were with the paragraph that had the font tags. So, since it was possible to solve the hint in its original form with the font tags not as they are now, the font tags actual placement must not be important.

I believe this also goes against my "spacing" theory, meaning if the theory is correct, the hint should only be about "arial"...so the real character will only have a strong aerial game.

For now, I say Jigglypuff.

EDIT@ Marko above, I have no idea what the little stubs coming from his body could be if they aren't hands. o_o

EDIT2: I would laugh if the answer to the hint was "Yes, I can".

I guess we would be doing Captain Falcon again.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Hmm, yeah, I'll say Jigglypuff as well for now. ^__^

But however, we should be sure there might not be any other meaning of "real hint". I tried substituting "The real" in place of "This" for the entire passage, but that did nothing useful... >_<

Also, in case the paragraphs really aren't red herrings, I suggest we pay more attention to whatever patterns the sentences might carry.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Sir Bedevere: last week's hint was this week's hint in a slightly different form. Last week was Ike. Therefore....

Also, technically jiggs doesn't have a red costume, just a red bow.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Sir Bedevere: last week's hint was this week's hint in a slightly different form. Last week was Ike. Therefore....
...Last week's hint was an Overswarm puzzle. o.o

This is a Panda puzzle.

One has you going through multiple pages of references and riddles to get to the end to discover the character.

The other is short and simple, yet cryptic, often with multiple interpretations but only one that truly fits.

???

Also, technically jiggs doesn't have a red costume, just a red bow.
But she wears it when you pick her for the red team.

Therefore, red costume.

I mean, would you call Kirby's red costume not a costume at all, but a skin-dye?

We can't take things too literally.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
...Last week's hint was an Overswarm puzzle. o.o

This is a Panda puzzle.

One has you going through multiple pages of references and riddles to get to the end to discover the character.

The other is short and simple, yet cryptic, often with multiple interpretations but only one that truly fits.
You misunderstood - before Samurai realized last week was an OS puzzle, he put this puzzle up instead. He took it down after he realized that OS was doing the hint. Of course, this could have meant Jigglypuff anyway....

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
That's true, but there might be somebody who uses it in their strategy most often. Like the old hints but making you go through a new hint to get it.

Even if it was, I don't know who it would be, though. :p

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I wonder if spacing has anything to do with it. I found a "446" when I tried to quote Samurai, but that might be slightly off. The 446 is the pattern of spaces between the sets of Arial text, 4, 4, 6.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I wonder if spacing has anything to do with it. I found a "446" when I tried to quote Samurai, but that might be slightly off. The 446 is the pattern of spaces between the sets of Arial text, 4, 4, 6.
Read this:

I just remembered something, lol. <_> In its original form, the /font tags were not placed as they are now, they were with the paragraph that had the font tags. So, since it was possible to solve the hint in its original form with the font tags not as they are now, the font tags actual placement must not be important.

I believe this also goes against my "spacing" theory, meaning if the theory is correct, the hint should only be about "arial"...so the real character will only have a strong aerial game.
The hint was solveable in its original form. This means that any additional things, like spacing of the font tags, placement of the font tags, extra [/FONTa]'s, anything like that that was changed from the original hint should not mean anything. Panda only changed it to send us in the right direction. By the changing of placement of the font tags (not that where they are is important, but the simple fact that they were changed), he implied that the font was what we should be paying attention to.

So, essentially, we should only be paying attention to the original hint, which was this:

[FONTa=Arial]This character is a character.[/FONTa]

[FONTa=Arial]This character is not Zero Suit Samus. This character might have a red costume. This character is not too big. This character has a recovery. This character is not old. This character has smash attacks. This character is not new. This character can use items. This character is not King Dedede. This character might be Magikarp.[/FONTa]

[FONTa=Arial]This character is not a homerun bat. This character might have hair. This character is not banned. This character can be selected. This character is not Norfair. This character can jump. This character is not a deku nut. This character has hands. This character is not hard to lose with. This character might be a character.[/FONTa]

[FONTa=Arial] Can you decipher the hint? [/FONTa]
In which case, Jiggs.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Once there are two characters left, how will the hint go? Will you just make two discussions? Because once of of those characters is gone, it's obvious who the last one left will be.

Top Bottom