• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
It's definitely Yoshi. I wonder what this potential they're speaking of is...

If Yoshi moves to mid tier one of these days, I'd totally secondary him. But as of now, he seems kind of fruitless. <.<

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Vague hint is vague.

All we can really glean from this is that the chracter is "underplayed" (which, according to last week's hint, can mean a character in high tier apparently) and has a lot of "technical skill" required, which is kind of a vague hint. It could mean that they have a lot of ATs (which could be a number of characters) or that they require very precise spacing (someone like ZSS or Marth perhaps). Whatever. After that last hint NOT being Sheik (who fit basically every critera at least as well as Pit, if not better), I'm giving up guessing.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Pit? I guess I was on the right track with the last one... Anyways, the new one makes me think Luigi. I don't have any real backing for this, but it feels like one of the Mario brothers, and everyone knows how dedicated the WeeGee mains are.

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
Why does every hint sound like Yoshi?

That being said, Yoshi has a fairly good shot here. No one really plays him, and he has all those ATs and grab release stuff that everyone keeps talking about. Plus, with Wario's recent rise on the rankings, Yoshi's favorable (?) matchup there may help his rise. He has a fairly good recovery, is heavy, has a fairly good approach and decent speed. He doesn't seem to have any obvious flaws, yet somehow is rock bottom of the rankings list.

Otherwise, Ness/Lucas seem like decent shots. They both have some absurd, but difficult to use, utility in their PSI moves (I have yet to see a video of someone using B-sticking and PK jumps in a serious match with Ness), and they're fairly solid characters except for the Marth thing.

Incidentally, if anyone knows of videos of the above, I'd certainly like to see them.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
I fear that everyone is right and that it is Yoshi, but...

I'm still holding out hope that it is ZSS. Ever since I started playing her, I felt like she's had a lot of potential but I don't wanna pat myself on the back and think she requires a lot of technical skill.

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
This character was a tough one to write a hint for. I had no idea where to start from. I dunno how this is gonna turn out though. Its either a good hint or a bad hint, and it might be much easier than I think it is (although it could be more vague, too). *shrug* Less characters means its harder to make these things, and this character was especially difficult to deal with for various reasons. panda in red ( darn quoteing messing up )

If my guess is right (Yoshi I guess) then it may be because you guys in the room in the back probly know yoshi the least of everyone since in most cases early on you all just said he was bad and threw him away.

Anyway if its not Yoshi them im wrong and well i don't care either way

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
It has to be someone everyone thinks is terrible.
With that in mind, it seems like Yoshi. But we really can't rule out Samus or other "bad" characters.
Also the whole "won't stop until they prove their point" thing seems Yoshi-ish too, since I know that my fellow Yoshi players are pretty vocal about him... there's a standing joke that tier discussion should be renamed Yoshi discussion.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Sounds a lot like Yoshi to me. Could also be Peach or ICs, but ICs seem very unlikely as most people are very aware of them and their potential.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Ness. . .

I need to know precisely what is meant by technical skill. Because I almost thought Donkey Kong, but no, his skill is positioning and all that, which isn't technical, it's just. . . skill. Except Sakurai Combo :laugh:

Now with him aside, come on, of all the people who are left, the only character who could have potential, but still be unknown, is the character everyone is dismissing because of "that **** thing" - the release infinite, and Ness. (screw Lucas. People aren't dedicated to him like Ness, nor is he 'scary' even if you don't know what he can do).

Jiggs can be. . . formidable, if you don't know how to react to its WoP and evasiveness (I still don't quite 'get' the character), but I don't think it is found 'scary'.

Samus, it's not like people are surprised by good use of zair. And she's never scary except when used by simply a scary good player.

I really should play a Yoshi. :ohwell:

Ness boards explicitly state they aren't gonna stop until they prove he's high tier - like we're all sure he would have been if he wasn't pwned by that other high tier character. *grumble*

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
This character can be quite scary to some people
People who have faced good yoshi's know this, Ganondorf isn't getting anywhere with yoshi, Pokemon trainers are willing to flat out not use Squirtle period =P.
MK mains may have trouble down the road, etc.

. Relatively unknown to most smashers, this character has tricks galore that can take people by surprise when they play against someone with actual skill, but finding those people can be difficult as there aren't many.
How many people have seen good yoshis? ECE, DR, DT, Release grab etc >.> Quite a few people admit to not knowing much at all about him

This character is the embodiment of potential right now, as it is only a matter of time until a breakout player starts sweeping the big names and will make everyone know who that player is. However, tapping into the character's potential will prove to be a difficult task, as the character demands technical skill,
Now it sounds even more so like yoshi, No way in hell im getting Draconic Trot down unless by some miracle and DR seems like a very far away goal right now.

which is rare and difficult in Brawl. Despite this blatantly obvious potential, there are still people who think this character isn't going anywhere, but the people who use this character are certainly dedicated and won't stop until they prove their point. But we're still waiting for them to prove it.
How many people have said Yoshi is bottom?

Theres been so much Yoshi talk its VERY easy to see that a lot of people feel he has very little hope.

It's yoshi without a doubt in my mind.

If Im wrong, I'll take a random kick to the groin, srsly.

IMO I doubt it's ice climbers, People actually believe in them and they don't get trashed talked, Look at IC's normal position on people's tier list, say IC's are bottom tiers YOU will take flank, say Yoshi is, people may agree.

Yet the yoshi crowd has to be among the most vocal thing you'll see in the tier discussion.

Chain grabs are a good part of yoshi's game and are what can turn the favor of many things for him, Grab release, DR and DT (I know I said this already) Air dodging is more important for yoshi than anybody else because a yoshi that can't DJAD is getting foot stooled.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
If it's not Yoshi it's Isaac, but the requirements to get Isaac are ridiculous anyways so really I doubt anybody but hackers has him anyways so it is teh Green Pimp.

Top Bottom