• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
hmm if it's gonna be a week then it will be updated tomorrow... darn i have to make my guess.

hmm yoshi's recovery isn't exactly easy to gimp so i say... PIT. it fits him. and ya if they are targetting the hint (which they prob are) at the competetive audience, then yes, there aren't many good/competitive Pits around. He is pretty underrated. Most people place him in Mid Tier or lower, uncommonly High Tier, and in the Official SBR Tier List v1.0 Pit was placed in High which was higher than what the public thought. It can't be Yoshi, he was placed in Low Tier in the Tier List, which is where most people put him in pub tier lists (or bottom too).

ANSWER: Pit. I hope im correct or else my correct streak is over XD

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Even if so, the SBR made the hint and that Tier List, so therefore ideas like these should be similarly represented in both this thread and that Tier List's thread.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
The tier list has absolutely no affect on the outcome of this hint; whether or not Sheik is high or low tier does not affect how underplayed or underrated she is (and underrated by competitive smashers, not by the SBR). It only helped prove my point that rankings affect the tier list, though that was a moot point anyways.

And yeah, now that I look at it, that list is pretty b@lls. September Fools day?

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
This screams Pit.

Olimar has absolutely no problems KOing (at all), and Yoshi's recovery isn't easily stopped, not to mention Yoshi has a ton of useful AT's, not "gimmicky" ones.

Pit isn't good at killing people with anything except his Bair; everything else takes forever and up into really high percents. And his recovery? Just hit him and it's done....pretty "easy to stop". Really easy to stop, actually.

and oh yea, Wingdashing is gimmicky.

Answer=Pit

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Pit is up. The last hint was possibly the most obvious hint I've given yet. Sorry about that.

I don't have time for a hint tonight, I'm pretty busy. So I'll write the hint tomorrow. I'm randomly assigning the next person to post after me the task to PM me tomorrow reminding me to write the hint. If no hint comes up tomorrow, blame that person.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Lol at Mmac. :laugh:

Pit's game has become stagnant and filled primarily with gimmicky ATs such as arrow looping or wingdashing that have yet to really propel Pit's metagame. A push back to basics is primarily what this character needs to compete with the other characters that are filling the upper echelons.
That's a slap in the face to a character board if I've ever seen one.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Well, keep in mind that I'm ALWAYS talking about high-level competitive tournament play. If I ever not talk about Brawl in those terms, then I'll explicitly say that. Pit is severely underplayed and underused in tournaments right now.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
pit is a homo

bring on the ganondorf again, hes good enough for two updates

oh hai sampan

Timbers

check me out
Well, keep in mind that I'm ALWAYS talking about high-level competitive tournament play. If I ever not talk about Brawl in those terms, then I'll explicitly say that. Pit is severely underplayed and underused in tournaments right now.
Pit's C rank in tournament listings...>_>

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This lovely lady has one of the worst grab animations in the game, totally wrecking her if she attempts to grab. :(

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
Pit's game has become stagnant and filled primarily with gimmicky ATs such as arrow looping or wingdashing that have yet to really propel Pit's metagame. A push back to basics is primarily what this character needs to compete with the other characters that are filling the upper echelons
A lot of characters suffer from this problem; They focus too much on discovering and mastering ATs that are not practical. Most ATs are worthless in an actual fight because they're very difficult to do and give little pay off. While you waste time trying to do an AT, you make yourself vulnerable.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lolwut

With a few glaring weaknesses and nothing incredibly powerful to compensate, Pit becomes a character of averages. His recovery is great distance-wise, but when put into actual gameplay it is nothing especially of note; he can generally get back just as well as other characters in the game. His attacks, while good, aren't especially impressive. His specials, while annoying and unique, don't send him to the top. He doesn't even have that many matchups that seem to be incredibly in his favor!

It is true that Pit has a few things slightly above average, like the damage of his relatively quick forward-smash, the power of his bair, the excellent positioning created by all his throws, his edgeguarding tricks with his down+b, or the power and priority of his glide attack. However, these things have yet to be used effectively enough by a Pit player to show that Pit can be as dangerous as other characters.

It is extremely possible that a Pit player could learn to use arrows to position his opponent into a certain area when recovering so that Pit can edgeguard for the KO with his down+b or a gutsy Pit player could start getting his KOs by glide attacking while his opponent is attempting to recover, but for now Pit's game has become stagnant and filled primarily with gimmicky ATs such as arrow looping or wingdashing that have yet to really propel Pit's metagame. A push back to basics is primarily what this character needs to compete with the other characters that are filling the upper echelons.
word fix.

:squirtle:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
This character was a tough one to write a hint for. I had no idea where to start from. I dunno how this is gonna turn out though. Its either a good hint or a bad hint, and it might be much easier than I think it is (although it could be more vague, too). *shrug* Less characters means its harder to make these things, and this character was especially difficult to deal with for various reasons.

Also, thanks for the reminders.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
This character can be quite scary to some people. Relatively unknown to most smashers, this character has tricks galore that can take people by surprise when they play against someone with actual skill, but finding those people can be difficult as there aren't many. This character is the embodiment of potential right now, as it is only a matter of time until a breakout player starts sweeping the big names and will make everyone know who that player is. However, tapping into the character's potential will prove to be a difficult task, as the character demands technical skill, which is rare and difficult in Brawl. Despite this blatantly obvious potential, there are still people who think this character isn't going anywhere, but the people who use this character are certainly dedicated and won't stop until they prove their point. But we're still waiting for them to prove it.
Bolded makes it OBVIOUS that they're talking about Yoshi.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Huh, tech skill? Not sure really.

Sounds like the Ice Climbers perhaps. Not many people use them, and they definitely have a lot of potential. And they are ****ing scary. But how much tech skill does it take to desynch in Brawl?

But Yoshi sounds like it fits the bill in terms of obscurity.

Top Bottom