• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Browny

Smash Hater
Update #10: ?????

After a bit of a delay, we've finally begun discussing the new character of the week. This character has some difficulty with some of the faster characters, as well as characters with strong projectile spamming games. This character's recovery seems great, and was quite intimidating when the game was first released, but now that the game has been out for longer we've come to realize just how easy this character's recovery can be to punish sometimes. Always be careful when you're playing against this character; even if you're winning, the game can turn around instant if you don't react fast enough. When all is said and done, this character can be fun to play with, but is rarely fun to play against.

Can you guess who next week's character will be?
Ike

gets torn up bt fast guys, cant approach falco/rob to save his life. his recovery fits the description perfectly. one wrong move and you can be eating an ike fsmash off the stage and get KO'd at % below 40. hes definitely great fun to play, but getting caught in A-A-A and aether spam is annoying >_>

Tenki

Smash Hero
This is somewhat related, and something I've been wondering.

I know how to gimp Ike's >B, but how does one do so to his ^B?
Or are you just supposed to hit him far horizontally and interrupt >B?
He's vulnerable when he starts to jump after his sword. At the peak of the jump, the range as he grabs his sword is small enough to be Sparta kicked by Ganondorf. Sonic players can just drop a spring on him and he'll run into it and get knocked under the stage or something stupid like that.

Either way, if you can predict the up-B, you can knock him under the level as his vulnerability frames come out and it's over ._.;

After a bit of a delay, we've finally begun discussing the new character of the week. This character has some difficulty with some of the faster characters, as well as characters with strong projectile spamming games. This character's recovery seems great, and was quite intimidating when the game was first released, but now that the game has been out for longer we've come to realize just how easy this character's recovery can be to punish sometimes. Always be careful when you're playing against this character; even if you're winning, the game can turn around instant if you don't react fast enough. When all is said and done, this character can be fun to play with, but is rarely fun to play against.

Dedede sounds like a good choice. Zelda's recovery doesn't seem 'intimidating', but SAF, spike, and stars to protect landing spot... kinda is. And it's pretty punishable too, given the lack of control you have over it. I guess being sloppy and getting CG'd can get people screwed up :<

redgreenblue

Smash Ace

Bolded lines... does anyone else think of Lucario? His wall stalling (or whatever it's called) was thought to be deadly earlier... but now we know how awful his up+b is.

And the turning the game around... as Lucario gets more beaten up, his power goes up because of aura. So at high percentages he could easily turn it around with a simple dsmash.

chubas

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, if it isn't Ike I would never understand Samurai.
It can also be Wario. His recovery is good, but taking care of his bike can screw his recovery. Still not as easy punishable though. He can kill in the most unexpected moment with a fart and that Fsmash. And yeah, can be annoying to the opponent some times.
So my bet is on Ike or Wario.

KaShank

Smash Apprentice
"Always be careful when you're playing against this character; even if you're winning, the game can turn around instant if you don't react fast enough." -Clue ten

Well, it can't be Snake because it's stupid to assume your against winning Snake.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
sounds like olimar finally, but he can outcamp most projectile spammers. I like how he didn't mention "range" at all or it'd be a dead giveaway. Zelda's my second guess. her projectile is outcamped by nearly every projectile spammer, and her recovery is much easier to gimp now than it was a while back.

Edit: it's zelda. The triforce point made it official.

VaneWalker

Smash Apprentice
"This character's recovery seems great, and was quite intimidating when the game was first released" Did we ever think Ikes recovery was "Intimdating" Or "great"

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
@ DanGR: Olimar's recovery never seemed even remotely good. It can't be him.

Other than the part that says his recovery is easy to gimp, DDD seems to fit the bill well. His strength allows him to punish mistakes with KOs, and he struggles against characters with superior spam as well as fast characters.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Sounds like Ike, but I find Ike fun to play against and not fun to play as.

Though it could be King Dedede. Being chain grabbed = not fun and can turn the game around quickly.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
Pit seems to fit perfectly, except Pit has no problem with spammers, as he has two defensive B moves and the B move best suited for spamming in the game.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
I'm going with Zelda as my official guess.

Runner Ups:
Lucario: Recovery never seemed that great.
Pit: Has no problem with spammers.
Bowser: See Lucario.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
Dedede.Fits very well.Chaingrab and Fsmashes can turn the tables of any match,has problems with fast and spammy characters and his recovery is not always safe.
Yeah I guess DDD.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
This character has some difficulty with some of the faster characters, as well as characters with strong projectile spamming games.

Ike gets ***** by fast chars and good campers

This character's recovery seems great, and was quite intimidating when the game was first released, but now that the game has been out for longer we've come to realize just how easy this character's recovery can be to punish sometimes.

His Up B is scary, but once you get used to it, you can simply grab the edge/knock him out of it. His side B looks bad, but you can just get hit off stage and Ike dies.

Always be careful when you're playing against this character; even if you're winning, the game can turn around instant if you don't react fast enough.

F-smash, d-smash, f-tilt

When all is said and done, this character can be fun to play with, but is rarely fun to play against.

Ike is hella fun to play as

Nowhere does it say the char is fast, and pit doesn't fit ANY of the requirements, as he's fast, can deal with campers, recovery isn't scary (though it is gimpable), and feels cheap to use

ChaoticSamus

Smash Apprentice
I have to say its DDD. Ike can coutner move and it stops the projectile. So I thinks its DDD. His recovery is intimidating

Falcon...Puuunch!

Smash Cadet
Bolded lines... does anyone else think of Lucario? His wall stalling (or whatever it's called) was thought to be deadly earlier... but now we know how awful his up+b is.

And the turning the game around... as Lucario gets more beaten up, his power goes up because of aura. So at high percentages he could easily turn it around with a simple dsmash.
Heh, at least someone agrees.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
When I hear "scary recovery", what springs to mind?

Meta Knight - done
Pit - no problems with spammers and moderately fast
Snake - done
Pikachu - also handles spammers AND is ridiculously fast
Sonic - THE fastest character

and lastly...
WARIO
Difficulty with fast characters and heavy spammers. A good, but gimpable recovery. Can turn the tide with surprising power. SUPER fun to play as.

Zelda and Lucario aren't bad guesses either, but I've never really thought their recoveries were all that great.

Novan007

Smash Rookie
This screams IKE!

Ike is always fun to play with, i cant think of anything more rewarding than landing a fsmash, and killing your opponent at mid-high percentages

St. Viers summed him up well

St. Viers

Smash Champion
DDD, and pit stick out to me, but pit isnt easily spammed on, and DDD isnt wat i'd call "fast"
Point to me where they mention the toon's speed at all?

you, can't, can you? Because all they say are faster toons give him trouble, saying nothing as to the speed of the toon they are talking about...

Also, if neither of the chars fit a requirement, why mention them?

SnatchForFree

Smash Cadet
But it also says that the character is not fun to play against. And Ike isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I think not fun to play against. DDD fits much better.

Top Bottom