• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I know who it is now gaiz.

It's so obvious.

It's Sheik.

I mean, what KO move is more laggy than her Down B?

10overusedjokes

Ace55

Smash Lord
Sounds like Lucario or Wario. High aerial pressure but laggy KO attacks? Maybe DK? I dunno, this one isn't giving us much to work with.
We have laggy KO attacks? As long as you don't spam upair it kills just fine. Fsmash isn't to laggy either and fart is almost impossible to punish. Dmash is lag city, but is mostly avoided.
And limited options while recovering? You must be thinking of someone else. No Wario this week.

The hint just screams Lucario, but maybe that's what they want you to think....

Talvi

Smash Journeyman
I think this hint fits both Wario and Lucario. The limited recovery options are relative. Wario will ALWAYS use the bike when coming back, then the second jump and finally, if needed, the Up-B. His fast horizontal air movement makes his recovery better, On the other hand, Lucario can change angles with his Up-B and wall cling, in addition to Dair and Aurasphere. Both have a couple of tricks when recovering.

I'll stay with Wario though. Only because of the fun to play thing. In tournaments I always see people laughing at any Wario taunt.

Gindler

Smash Champion

Update #19: ?????

8/19/08

This character is definitely a fun one to play, and those who play this character seem quite dedicated to the character. There aren't too many top players who use this character, but those who decide to main the character can generally use the character well, and you'll see a couple placing fairly high in tournaments (if not much higher, in some cases). This character can definitely turn around a game and become the underdog when played well. With an awesome aerial pressure game, this character can keep the opponent on the ropes. But with a lack of options when recovering, and lag after some of the best KO attacks, this character has a tough time with some characters. In the end, it seems like the potential for this character is limited only to the player, and we've seen a few of those players show off what is actually possible when you have enough skill.

Can you guess this week's character?
I'd say Sonic or Pit, I have no idea how sonic places but i know Pit does Decent at least. They were both loved when the game first came out. Then again Sonic has an insanely awesome recovery while Pit's is extremely limited. Geez, it can never be easy.

I'd say sonic first then pit.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
My opinion since then has shifted, and I believe Yoshi is high low tier now. Doesn't mean he wont move up in the future, though.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
My point was the repeated use of the word "potential". Flimsy reasoning for a hint to be correct, but whatever.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Oh. Well, just so you know, I feel that most characters in the game have a ton of potential that is untapped. Especially in the lower tiers and low-mid tier. But because some of the best players in the world decided to pick up MK solely based on the fact that he "felt like a Melee character" and/or because he was really good, our current metagame is rather underdeveloped for many characters.

tldr = Every character has potential.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
I know who it is now gaiz.

It's so obvious.

It's Sheik.

I mean, what KO move is more laggy than her Down B?

10overusedjokes
I lol'd (EDIT: before I saw the hidden sentence)

I say Wario...great air game, but obvious recovery (complete with really bad up-B) and huge lag on smashes.

Trouble with some characters means the release grab chains

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
It is not Yoshi. Read the part about doing well in tournies. Same goes for Sheik, Ike and PT ...unless I'm mistaken...

DK and Wario have tournament wins, as does Lucario.

Wario has incredibly flexible recovery (I mean, seriously, he has THREE recovery moves).

Lucario's upB has no hitbox and DK's has poor vertical distance.

Both Lucario and DK have laggy KO moves.

Lucario has slightly more trouble killing due to lack of power before Aura kicks in. DK can have issues killing due to his slow-*** KO moves, particularly f-smash.

DK can pressure in midair with b-air and u-air. I would say Lucario is much better at it due to f-air combos and d-air shuffling.

Lucario can turn a match around because of Aura, and DK is a brute that can get a kill in about 5 or 6 attacks, not to mention his prolific spiking ability.

Only thing is the whole dedication bit and top players using them. I haven't heard much about top players using DK, and Azen is the only top Lucario main I've heard of.

I would say it's either of those. Lucario is probably more likely.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
It is not Yoshi. Read the part about doing well in tournies. Same goes for Sheik, Ike and PT ...unless I'm mistaken...

DK and Wario have tournament wins, as does Lucario.

Wario has incredibly flexible recovery (I mean, seriously, he has THREE recovery moves).

Lucario's upB has no hitbox and DK's has poor vertical distance.
Lucario has wall cling and DK's has insane priority and enough vertical height(about the same as Mario's up-B)

Both Lucario and DK have laggy KO moves.
DK's only laggy KO move is F-smash, and D-smash has little lag, Lucario's only laggy one's are f-smash and u-smash(idk if u-smash is considered a KO move

Lucario has slightly more trouble killing due to lack of power before Aura kicks in. DK can have issues killing due to his slow-*** KO moves, particularly f-smash.
Lucario is right, but DK's d-smash, Giant punch, U-smash, U-air and Bair come out very quickly

DK can pressure in midair with b-air and u-air. I would say Lucario is much better at it due to f-air combos and d-air shuffling.
DK doesnt have an air pressure game>.>, except that he has 3 spikes. Fair and dair give Lucario great air pressure
Lucario can turn a match around because of Aura, and DK is a brute that can get a kill in about 5 or 6 attacks, not to mention his prolific spiking ability.

Only thing is the whole dedication bit and top players using them. I haven't heard much about top players using DKBum, Bigfoot, Ripple, and Azen is the only top Lucario main I've heard of.There's more I'm sure

I would say it's either of those. Lucario is probably more likely.
I still think it's Ness

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
my vote for the next one is for myself. Ness of course. Aerial pressure to no end, laggy f-smash, extremely limited recovery options...kind of.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
****, guys, you're really not believing Dazwa when he's telling you it's Mewtwo?

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
It's Mewtwo.

Update #19: ?????

8/19/08

This character is definitely a fun one to play Mewtwo is hella fun, and those who play this character seem quite dedicated to the character Taj is the man and is really tall. There aren't too many top players who use this character, but those who decide to main the character can generally use the character well Again, Taj. MookieRah has that video with that song that sounds like a Japanese Will Smith BETTA BELIEVE IN YOSELF, and you'll see a couple placing fairly high in tournaments (if not much higher, in some cases)TajTajTajTaj. This character can definitely turn around a game and become the underdog when played well.He's got some crazy off-stage gimping game that can turn a match around like that With an awesome aerial pressure game, this character can keep the opponent on the ropes.DJC Shield Pressure But with a lack of options when recoveringhe's pretty predictable in that respect, and lag after some of the best KO attacksforward smash and downsmash leave him wide open, this character has a tough time with some charactersbad matchups here and there. In the end, it seems like the potential for this character is limited only to the player, and we've seen a few of those players show off what is actually possible when you have enough skill. Taj

Can you guess this week's character?Yes I can it's Mewtwo.

JPV

Smash Rookie
To break up the character guessing/ MK ranting I want to announce this is my first post. And you hit Diddy spot on. He certainly has a flow about him when I use him,and his banana game and spacing really is what makes him make or break a match. The get a hold of your naners and mess up your flow it can throw you totally off.

I can`t wait to see your thoughts on my other main, Pokemon Trainer. Will you review him as 1 or 3 characters? The whole point of him imho is being able to choose a counter mid match,and being able to use all parts of the pokemon (squirtle areial awesomeness,ivysaur range/annoying/mindgames/kos, charizards survivability/superarmour/weird hitboxes.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
To break up the character guessing/ MK ranting I want to announce this is my first post. And you hit Diddy spot on. He certainly has a flow about him when I use him,and his banana game and spacing really is what makes him make or break a match. The get a hold of your naners and mess up your flow it can throw you totally off.

I can`t wait to see your thoughts on my other main, Pokemon Trainer. Will you review him as 1 or 3 characters? The whole point of him imho is being able to choose a counter mid match,and being able to use all parts of the pokemon (squirtle areial awesomeness,ivysaur range/annoying/mindgames/kos, charizards survivability/superarmour/weird hitboxes.
Too bad Diddy has already been discussed

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
People should probably remember that changing the hint doesn't mean the past ones meant nothing... there's pretty much no candidate left that comes close not named Lucario.

Although, you might want to inform the back room that the lag on Lucci's KO moves is on startup, not finish. Oh well, honest mistake, right? :D

Gindler

Smash Champion
Hmmm, IDK anymore. Ness? Yoshi? ZSS? Although Ness has a real easy time killing. So more likely yoshi or Zamus *shrugs*

RDK

Smash Hero
Dazwa's powers of propaganda are greater than those of Adolf Hitler and the Republican party combined.

Top Bottom