• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Snail

Smash Lord
I don't think it's Yoshi. His recovery options is only limited when he doesn't have his Double Jump.

I still think it's Pokemon Trainer, All 3 of the Pokemon fit the bill
Yeah, but I can't imagine it being PT without a hint referring to his versatility and strategic stuff really. I don't think it'd be an ordinary hint.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Yeah, but I can't imagine it being PT without a hint referring to his versatility and strategic stuff really. I don't think it'd be an ordinary hint.
Then it would be too obvious. He still fits well, even if it doesn't mention his other stuff

infomon

Smash Scientist
This hint has been far from ordinary :D

If anything, there have been three different hints. Just like three pokemon! See?
It's still Lucario.

wangston

Smash Lord
The next one has to be Lucario. Limited recover, lag after ko moves, stellar air combat and he makes comebacks.

infomon

Smash Scientist
His smashes are single-hit, and stay out for a long time. When Lucario gets punished, it's after he's released the attack, while he's still unable to do anything else.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Olimar's crappy recovery part fits, but there's no big lag on smash attacks. So yeah. :/
Yes, there is. All things considered, Olimar has some of the longest smashes in the game; they just come out quickly in the form of a projectile, but Olimar can't do another attack for a while after the smash.

I don't think it's Yoshi. His recovery options is only limited when he doesn't have his Double Jump.

I still think it's Pokemon Trainer, All 3 of the Pokemon fit the bill
Because Squirtle has tremendous lag after his attacks.

EDIT: INFZY - While that might be true about Lucario, for the most part the mainers of Lucario only use F-smash of the smashes, which is hard to punish. Lucario's primary kill moves are F-smash - no ending lag, difficult to punish, Dair - no lag, and Aura sphere - O.K. there's som lag there. Lucario's also use Nair when juggling off the stage, which has ending lag.

DMK.

Smash Journeyman
This character is definitely a fun one to play, and those who play this character seem quite dedicated to the character. There aren't too many top players who use this character, but those who decide to main the character can generally use the character well, and you'll see a couple placing fairly high in tournaments (if not much higher, in some cases). This character can definitely turn around a game and become the underdog when played well. With an awesome aerial pressure game, this character can keep the opponent on the ropes. But with a lack of options when recovering, and lag after some of the best KO attacks, this character has a tough time with some characters. In the end, it seems like the potential for this character is limited only to the player, and we've seen a few of those players show off what is actually possible when you have enough skill.
My guess is Wario.

He's fun to play with his strong aerial DI and ridiculous mindgame potential. SoCal has quite a few great Warios, but he's not played much elsewhere. Those few Warios tend to be quite good and place high(Futile, especially is one of the most consistent tourney winners I've seen). His aerial pressure ability is one of if not the best in the game with the ability to DI away after attack or bite through shields.

Wario's recovery is good, but predictable. A opponent familiar with it can easily predict the path he's going to take on the bike and knock him off it, or meet him during the bike jump's arc. Up B is merely average, and most Warios use the bike whenever possible.

Wario's main kill moves are fsmash, ftilt and uair. Uair ends fast, however the other two have significant ending lag and can be punished if dodged or shielded. And Futile has shown again and again what a good Wario is capable of.

There's not a mention at all about a 'crippling counter' or anything like that(grab releases) because that would probably make the hint too easy.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Hmm i dont think its Yoshi because of his non-existant tournament placings and the fact that the lag on his attacks isnt too much. Pit and Sonic are out of the question too. Sheik has decent recovery options and low lag KO move(u-smash)
Now I'm leaning towards Ike, Ness, and Lucario. Ike ocviously has alot of lag, devoted followers and only 2 telegraphed recovery options. Nes is similar, PKT2, F-smash and PK Flash have alot of lag. Lucario is the same story, but with less lag

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Update #19: ?????

8/19/08

This character is definitely a fun one to play, and those who play this character seem quite dedicated to the character Pokemon Trainer. There aren't too many top players who use this character, but those who decide to main the character can generally use the character well, and you'll see a couple placing fairly high in tournaments (if not much higher, in some cases)Pokemon fans are dedicated to their pokemons. This character can definitely turn around a game and become the underdog when played well Squirtle is a ninja, Ivysaur has Bullet seed + upsmash, charizard has f-throw + fair gimp.. With an awesome aerial pressure game, this character can keep the opponent on the ropes = Squirtle. But with a lack of options when recovering = Ivysaur, and lag after some of the best KO attacks = Charizard, this character has a tough time with some characters Since all the pokemon have mid-tier qualities, they have trouble with the majority of the upper tiers. In the end, it seems like the potential for this character is limited only to the player, and we've seen a few of those players show off what is actually possible when you have enough skill With 3 different characters to choose from, the limits are 3x as much as any other character..

Can you guess this week's character? LOL I WROTE IN GREEN BECAUSE I'M SMART
3pokemon ftw

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I think this one is Lucario, just because of the part about it saying something like: Can be the underdog.

Well, that fits. Just think of it, when Lucario is starting to lose and gains more %, he becomes more powerful and can therefore catch up.

The part about his KO atks having some ending lag, I'm not sure if they described it too well again.

Ya some of his smashes stay out for a little bit, but then again they may have counted that as 'ending lag' since he can't move in those long smashes. Let's wait and see if they edit it again lol.

But then again I dont think Lucario has too good aerial shield pressure game, while I know that Peach's SH Float Dair does.

It can't be Pit, he doesn't have any lag really after any of his KO moves. They have a little, but I wouldn't count that.

Are you jking when u say IKE? lol.

and btw yes actually i think this IS MEWTWO.

IS IT NOT NOT NOT OBVIOUS?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?

OOOOBBBVVIOUS!!!

OBVIOUSOBVIOUSOBVIOUSOBVIOUSOBVIOUSOBVIOUSOBVIOUSOBVIOUSOBVIOUSOBVIOUS

IS IT NOT OBVIOUSOBVIOUSOBVIOUSOBVIOUSOBVIOUSOBVIOUSOBVIOUS ?!?!?!

sry i just felt like saying that XD

edit: and it can't be PT. he hasnt placed well in tournys at all, not even for 1 time, while Peach and Lucario have.

edit 2: nvm PT has placed 1 top 2 and 1 win

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I am really starting to think Lucario; although I am sure underdog is a throw off, he was pretty much the only character who fell under the old hint and the new hint.

HOWEVER:

I have no idea why Samurai Panda changed the hint, but it may have had something to do with not a single person guessing correctly before the change. And once again, it seems like Lucario might be screamed in the hint so that people don't realize the true character of the week.

Sonic527

Smash Apprentice
I think its either Sonic or Wario since they seem like they are the most fun and different to play but it could also be PT.

Browny

Smash Hater
but lucario doesnt exactly have limited options while recovery. his dair makes a great stall while DI'ing back to the stage, Aura sphere can deter any would-be edgeguarders, not many characters can attack his fair and beat it, and his upb allows him to wall cling, go for the ledge, or go over the ledge. I can think of many other characters who have a far more limited recovery options than him.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Olimar's crappy recovery part fits, but there's no big lag on smash attacks. So yeah. :/
His smashes leave him vulnerable to speed characters as you can attack from above easily during a forward smash and the sides during an up. At least in my expirence, not sure if that counts as lag really or just Blind Spot.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
I think it might be DK

He's performing well in tournies.
He can turn a game around in just a few hits.
His best kill move, the down smash, is laggy as all hell. Most of his kill moves are just as bad.
Recovery is pretty straightforward and lacks vertical distance.

Maybe I'm wrong but it makes sense to me. The only thing is the whole "dedication" bit. I'm unsure if DK really fits that.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Except any good lucario knows how to wall cling, and therefore he has more options than most would assume.
I haven't seen any vids of wall cling being put to good use. And it doesn't work on all walls or stages, ex. Battlefield.

When Lucario's lost his 2nd jump, he can try and shift momentum a bit with aurasphere and Dair... But your opponent knows the up-B is coming, and that it can't do any damage. >.> They almost certainly have more options than the Lucario does.

Mleh..... it seemed so obvious before, but I'm less certain now that this week is Lucario. He's still my guess though.

SD14

Smash Cadet
I think this one is yoshi cause he only has a few options on recovery and he is always the under dog (except when playing gannon) and he has some lag after the few killing moves he has and you have to really have skill to play him and be good, just what i think

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Well, this MASSIVELY changes the hint. Lack of options while recovering is the biggest change here, if you ask me. If you combine this with the "problems killing may keep this character from being too good", it eliminates most of the characters who have trouble killing: Pit, ZSS, and Sheik all have versatile recoveries.

I'd definitely say Lucario now. On most of the stages, Wall Clinging is not an option, leaving only the Up B, which has a lot of landing lag and no attack, making it easily edge-hogged and easily punished on the stage. His highest power killing moves (his smashes) are insanely laggy.

Alternately, this could be Sheik now. The Tether, wall cling, and Vanish give some variety to the recovery, but usually if any of the techniques could get Sheik back, they all could. Sheik's three best KO moves (upsmash, forward smash, and Vanish) are pretty much the only three moves in Sheik's arsenal with any lag on them. And Sheik is VERY capable of turning a match around from behind. Sometimes the combos just flow out, and your opponent has suddenly taken Double-Jab cancelled into Forward Tilt into a 4+ hit Forward Tilt Chain into an Uptilt into a Walking Forward Tilt into another Forward Tilt Chain into a Tippered Upsmash or Double-Hit Upsmash for a nice whopping 90%+ out of nowhere. And with judicious use of the Back Air, Up Tilt, Down Smash, Needles, and Grabs, Sheik can play a defensive harassment game that will pressure the opponent and rack up damage without much possibility of retaliation.
Especially the part about Shield pressure seems very much Sheik. Sheik can do something like a Fair/Nair/Bair into Double-Jab cancelled into a Ftilt, and at proper spacing this will be ungrabable by most characters and will put a ton of pressure on the Shield.

Grunt

Smash Master
your opponent has suddenly taken Double-Jab cancelled into Forward Tilt into a 4+ hit Forward Tilt Chain into an Uptilt into a Walking Forward Tilt into another Forward Tilt Chain into a Tippered Upsmash or Double-Hit Upsmash for a nice whopping 90%+ out of nowhere. And with judicious use of the Back Air, Up Tilt, Down Smash, Needles, and Grabs, Sheik can play a defensive harassment game that will pressure the opponent and rack up damage without much possibility of retaliation.
Especially the part about Shield pressure seems very much Sheik. Sheik can do something like a Fair/Nair/Bair into Double-Jab cancelled into a Ftilt, and at proper spacing this will be ungrabable by most characters and will put a ton of pressure on the Shield.
Obvious Sheik main is obvious.
Srsly, wtf?

Samuelson

Smash Lord
I'm still going with Lucario on this one. Lucario is the kind of comebacks due to his aura boost and can only recover with Up B(maybe wall cling). All the Lucario mains are dedicated(we have a freaken chatroom!). He is tons of fun to play because you can combo easily with him. Lucario has a tough time with G&W, Marth and DDD. Obviously Lucario is only held back by the player, look at Azen!

I wouldn't be shocked if i was wrong though. I tend to be wrong a lot. :)

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Sounds like Lucario or Wario. High aerial pressure but laggy KO attacks? Maybe DK? I dunno, this one isn't giving us much to work with.

Last time the hint was something akin to "Devastating aerial game, kinda lousy recovery, okay go guess everyone!" it was Ganondorf.

Top Bottom