• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
My 2nd best is Peach and how is peach worse then bowser? Peach has a high combo rate because of her foating abilities, her turnips are effective projectiles, her right and left aerial attack can kill in the 90s, her ability to float and her neutral and right or left b give excellent recovery options, and because of to float or to not float on the stage she can confuse people what kind of combos she will do. Again, why is Peach not up there in tier list.:confused:
Yet another person who doesn't understand tiers.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Fourth... that's kinda like first.

Guys, this week is Sonic!!
Anyway, hint for #21 is up:

This character is underestimated by many players, but in the right hands can give characters like Captain Falcon trouble. With approaches that can be shielded or dodged, this character can sometimes approach through the air. This character's projectile can be used to either disrupt opponents or bait approaches, and can even be used in approaches, even though it can be shielded. However, due to certain characteristics and matchups, this character may not reach the ranks of top tier, but certainly is not bottom tier material.

Can you guess who this week's character is?
It can't be Sonic because springs don't bait approaches.

unless I use it ;__;

Also, Captain Falcon can jab him out of spindash and U-air/U-tilt most of his aerial approaches, so it can't be him.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
As well as having found a way to permanently remain as Super SamuraiPanda.
Priceless.

Also, I think it should be clear to everyone that #18 is Pichu.
I mean, seriously, it's so obvious.

infomon

Smash Scientist
It can't be Sonic because springs don't bait approaches.
False. After Sonic springs he can't use any of his B moves, so Sonic will be approached from below; he has little defense below him, since Dair is so predictable and punishable.

Also, Captain Falcon can jab him out of spindash and U-air/U-tilt most of his aerial approaches, so it can't be him.
Every character can interrupt Sonic's spindash, which is why it has to be heavily mixed up (cancelling, opportunism, etc.) for it to be used as an approach. Sonic's fantastic recovery and aerials give him an easy time gimping Falcon, and Sonic is one of the few that outpaces him, amirite!?

Let me go through the hint more carefully, since at least someone does this every week

This character is underestimated by many players, but in the right hands can give characters like Captain Falcon trouble. Sonic has been underestimated since day 1, many still claim he's bottom tier, partly because his best matchups are against low-tiers like C.Falcon. With approaches that can be shielded or dodged, Which is why his spin-dashes are so difficult to use well as an approach. this character can sometimes approach through the air. Definitely, Sonic's aerials are great but his aerial speed is not as good as his ground speed, which is why the hint says "sometimes"; you have to mix up both approaches. This character's projectile can be used to either disrupt opponents or bait approaches, Yes disrupt = gimp, what Spring is best used for.. otherwise if used on the stage, it definitely baits approaches as I described above and can even be used in approaches, even though it can be shielded. A common tactic with Sonic is to approach into a shorthop -> footstool -> Spring; but if they shield your approach (spindash or dash attack, or shieldgrab a run) then the Sonic loses, so his approach is tough, but can be effective if it's mixed up well. However, due to certain characteristics and matchups, Obviously this is talking about his lack of KO power and predictability of some moves (homing attack, Dair), and his bad matchups particularly against metaknight and wario this character may not reach the ranks of top tier, but certainly is not bottom tier material. Sonic will never be top tier but is definitely not bottom, like everyone on the Sonic forum knows.

Tenki

Smash Hero
;__; man, I tried to argue against Sonic, my own main, on my own hint, and my own BS argument (modeled off of alot of people's misconceptions on Sonic) as to why it's not Sonic (and I will argue against every week's hint because I still don't want a Sonic discussion lol) and I still lost.

btw, reverse spring>d-air does work as a 'safe' bait since the spring disrupts movement as Sonic is moving away lol.

I've almost never seen anyone try to purposefully footstool>spring on a grounded opponent.

i'm still laughing because i lost XD

edit: That's weird. He quoted me but didn't seem to catch the "Sonic's springs don't bait approaches.
unless I use it"
lol. unless he was playing along, which would be awesome.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
infzy, why do you think half of that is true? You obviously don't play as Sonic.

That so called "common tactic" is something I've never seen a good Sonic do (and have never done myself as a Sonic main).

And it's not actually safe to approach him from below after he springs. If he auto-cancels his dair and you meet him on the ground you're in danger of getting hit by a tilt or smash.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, hint for #21 is up:

This character is underestimated by many players, but in the right hands can give characters like Captain Falcon trouble. With approaches that can be shielded or dodged, this character can sometimes approach through the air. This character's projectile can be used to either disrupt opponents or bait approaches, and can even be used in approaches, even though it can be shielded. However, due to certain characteristics and matchups, this character may not reach the ranks of top tier, but certainly is not bottom tier material.

Can you guess who this week's character is?
Shiek.

I win.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Look at what SamulaiPrada has started!

I really really hope that infzy is playing along, because otherwise he's not only making a bad argument, but he's making a bad argument for a false hint.

We need a real hint soon or we're all gonna go crazy.

infomon

Smash Scientist
omg guys I thought the hidden caption in my post would have made it obvious..... LOL the whole point of this thread is for n00bs to make bad arguments about why it's the wrong character. I love this thread so much right now :laugh:

y'all fail at playing along

Edit:
We need a real hint soon or we're all gonna go crazy.
We're long past that. It's been a slow week :-)

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Wow. We fail. We fail hardcore.
Well played infzy; well played indeed.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Update #18: ?????

8/11/08

Hint will be up later. I have a 10 page paper to start writing and its due in 3 hours. No time.
Maybe this time the hint is a riddle. 3 hours, 3 pokemon, and Samurai is writing a ten-page paper about the character. It must be Pokemon Trainer.:laugh: And no time refers to how it's difficult to find enough time for Pokemon swaps.

Mmac

Smash Lord
that actually sound logical. I would both give Halloween and Samurai a cookie if it's actually true.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
vague and general hints ftw

this ones the actual hint

this character is selectable right before get to the stage selection screen, but not before you get to the character selection screen, it has some A moves, and some B moves, as well as aerials and a grab. the characters upb is primarily used to recover, but can also be used for other purposes. the characters A moves all do damage, and all have at least some knockback, no matter how slight. can you guess what this weeks character is?
clearly its pichu

Top Bottom