• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash at the Shore - Brigantine, NJ - Aug 2 - Melee and Brawl! PRIZES ANNOUNCED!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed

It's been a long time since there's been a quality smash tournament in south jersey ever since Clash of the Titans moved to Philadelphia, but I'm back with a new tournament series to quench your smash thirst.

Smash at the Shore is the first ever Smash tournament in Brigantine, NJ. Brigantine is a small island town neighboring Atlantic City.

Smash at the Shore is a little different from your normal tournament. SatS is being held in an arcade, so there's plenty to do when your waiting for your match. The tournament will be held in a separate room upstairs, with the entire arcade downstairs you can use while not in a match. In addition to that, there's some cool places to eat nearby, and after the tournament you can stop by the beach or Atlantic City if you're not quite ready to head home.

Summary
(For those who don't feel like reading all of this and just need the key info)
  • Be there at 11:30am, August 2nd
  • Held in an upstairs private room at an arcade, so there's plenty to do while waiting for matches
  • Regular cash prizes, along with special gift certificates, and show tickets being given out
  • Air conditioning (Eggm will love this lol)
  • Melee singles, Melee Doubles, Brawl singles, Brawl doubles, and possibly Melee doubles
  • The place has it's own parking lot (so it's really easy to park unlike our normal Philly tournies)
  • We will take care of all the TVs, we don't need people to bring any unless they really don't mind
  • Melee singles starts PROMPTLY at noon.
  • IMPORTANT MELEE DOUBLES INFORMATION LATER IN THIS POST!

Date
  • Saturday - August 2nd, 2008

Address
  • The Smile Factory
    1307 W Brigantine Ave.
    Brigantine, NJ 08203

Time
  • You can show up as early as 11:00am
  • Melee Singles - 12:00pm PROMPT (important rules at the bottom of this post)
  • Brawl Doubles - 2:00pm
  • Brawl Singles - 5:00pm (Or after Brawl Doubles)
  • Melee Doubles - Optional after/during Brawl Singles
  • Everyone has to leave by 9:30pm
  • EXTRA EVENT! MELEE DOUBLES! ~10:30pm Look below for info

Price
  • Melee and Brawl Singles - $10 each
  • Melee and Brawl Doubles - $5 per person/$10 per team each
  • Approximately 25% of the pot is taken out to pay for the venue

Prizes

Raffle
I will be giving away the 4 pack of 5th row tickets to WWE Summer Slam away at SatS in a raffle. A ticket to enter the raffle is $1, and everyone is welcome to buy as many as they like. The more you buy, the better chance you have to win. Later on in the tournament, I will randomly draw a ticket from a bowl to determine the winner. Also, as an extra incentive to enter, I will be giving away free Bawls drinks to the first 10 or so people that enter in the raffle! (Only one drink per person though)
Update: I also have two more additional pairs of WWE tickets (not as good seats as the 5th row ones though), which will be given out to a 2nd and 3rd winner drawn for the raffle, so you have an even better shot of winning! Only one prize per person. If a previous winner is called, it will go to the next person.

Rules
  • Melee:
    • Bring your own controllers. We might have a couple extra in case you forget yours, but it's highly recommended you bring your own.
    • All matches will be 4 stock matches, with a time limit set to 7 minutes.
    • All sets will be the best out of 3 matches, except for the finals which are best out of 5.
    • Counterpick rules:
      • First round: blind character pick, each player bans a stage if need be (which stick for the entire set), and a random stage (from neutral set) is chosen. No reset on random is allowed.
      • Following rounds: Looser chooses a stage, winner chooses character, looser chooses character.
      • Someone can not choose a stage they have already won on, and no stage can be played twice in a row.
    • Singles neutral stages:
      • Final Destination
      • Battlefield
      • Pokemon Stadium
      • Dreamland 64
      • Fountain of Dreams
      • Yoshi's Story
    • Singles counterpick stages:
      • Corneria
      • Rainbow Cruise
      • Jungle Japes
      • Green Greens
      • Mute City
      • Brinstar
      • DK64
      • PokeFloats
    • Doubles neutral stages:
      • Final Destination
      • Battlefield
      • Pokemon Stadium
      • Dreamland 64
    • Doubles counterpick stages:
      • Yoshi's Story
      • DK64
      • Corneria
      • Rainbow Cruise
      • Jungle Japes
      • Green Greens
      • Brinstar
    • Items are off.
    • If there is a tie at the end of the time limit, then the person with more stocks wins. If both players have the same amount of stocks, then the person with the lower percent of damage wins.
    • Wobbling is not allowed and results in an immediate loss of that match.
    • You will be disqualified if you use any freezing glitches, such as the Ice Climbers' Freeze Glitch or Mewtwo's Soul Stunner.
    • Any non-first party controllers must be inspected by an official before use.
    • Performance altering controller modifications are not allowed.
    • Stalling a match is not allowed (such as wall-jumping under Battlefield), but recovery tactics such as Peach's Wall-Bombing, and Jigglypuff's Rising Pound are allowed.
    • GOTM's rule is in effect. Ice Climbers' wobbling is banned except for on Inui. lol.
  • Brawl:
    • Chibo's Color-Blind Rule: If a player on a team is playing Lucario, Sonic, or Pokemon Trainer, either team can request for them to be Blue Team and the opponents must abide. If both teams have one of the characters, they must work it out between them.
    • No extreme camping. If you are found to be doing NOTHING but running out of clock for an extreme amount of time and not attacking, you will be warned in the middle of the match by me to stop. I'll be more lenient than strict with this, it's more just a heads up. One instance of this is ledge camping without even use of projectiles when you are at a high percent compared to your opponent. It doesn't make any sense and does nothing but make everything run longer than it should.
    • If you need to add your name to change your controls, please remember to do so, and do it quickly. You can not quit in the middle of a match if you realize your controls are wrong.
    • First round consists of all characters being chosen by a blind pick. Following this, each player/team is allowed to ban two counterpick stages for the rest of the set. A random stage will then be chosen for the battle. No resets are allowed.
    • Match two will first consist of the previous loser picking a stage, then the previous winner picking their character, and finally the previous loser picking their character.
    • If it goes to the third match, it will follow the same format as the second one.
    • Neutral Stages:
      • Final Destination
      • Battlefield
      • Smashville
      • Lylat Cruise
      • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
    • Counterpick Stages:
      • Castle Siege
      • Pokemon Stadium
      • Pokemon Stadium 2
      • Delfino Plaza
      • Corneria
      • Pictochat
      • Brinstar
      • Rainbow Cruise
      • Norfair
      • Luigi's Mansion
      • Hanenbow
      • Battleship Halberd
      • Frigate Orpheon
      • Jungle Japes
    • Items are off
    • Three stock matches, with a 7 minute time limit
    • No stage can be played twice in a row, and no player can counterpick with a stage they already won on.
    • Standing infinites, and grab infinite on Ness/Lucas are banned.
    • GOTM's Rule Modified: Dedede chain grabbing is allowed, but greatly encouraged to be used as much as possible on Inui. lol.

Crew Battle Rules
  • Melee
    • 20 Stocks
    • Neutral and counterpick stages same as Melee Singles
    • Each team must select their starting player prior to the match
    • Each crew must specify which players have how many stocks before the battle begins
    • Stocks must be divided as evenly as possible
    • First match is a blind pick of characters followed by a random stage
    • The losing team sends in their choice of a player and has two options. They can choose to go to a random stage or a stage of their choice. If they choose a stage, the opponent may change their character (before the new player chooses his/her character). If random is selected, the previous winner can not change their character.
  • Brawl
    • 20 Stocks
    • Neutral Stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville
    • Counterpick Stages: Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Castle Siege, Pokemon Stadium, Delfino Plaza, Corneria, Brinstar, Luigi's Mansion, Hanenbow, Battleship Halberd, Frigate Orpheon
    • Each team must select their starting player prior to the match
    • Each crew must specify which players have how many stocks before the battle begins
    • Stocks must be divided as evenly as possible
    • First match is a blind pick of characters followed by a random stage
    • The losing team sends in their choice of a player and has two options. They can choose to go to a random stage or a stage of their choice. If they choose a stage, the opponent may change their character (before the new player chooses his/her character). If random is selected, the previous winner can not change their character.

Contact
  • Reply here, PM me @ ChiboSempai, AIM me @ ChiboSempai, or call me at 609-226-2287.

Important Melee Singles Info
  • Unfortunately due to popular demand this tournament is mainly Brawl (I might hold a Melee centric one in the future), but I need to hold some sort of Melee, cause well... I just need to haha. Since this tournament is only one day, its a tight schedule. The Melee singles will start at noon exactly, so be there by 11:45am at the latest to sign up. There are no exceptions. If you are running late, just give me a call and I'll sign you up.

Melee Doubles!
I was surprised when I heard the extreme demand for Melee Doubles, and I can't let you guys down!
I'm glad to announce that Smash at the Shore will indeed have a Melee Doubles event! The Melee Doubles will run a little differently than the rest of the tournament however. As it stands, we have to be out of the arcade by 10pm, and there's no way to run all 4 events before we have to leave. So as I planned, I will run Melee Singles, followed by Brawl Doubles and Singles, and we will end the tourney at the arcade. After that, we will all meet at my house less than a mile away for a late night Melee Doubles tournament, exclusively for SmashBoards visitors. I will not really be advertising Melee Doubles much at the tourney, as I can't have THAT many people over.

The doubles tourney will however be held outside though in my back yard. I simply don't have enough room inside. This means, that it is weather permitting. As of now, the Weather Channel says it will be clear on August 2nd, and it will be pretty warm. It will be dark out so it will be easy to see the TVs outside, but there will still be lights around so people aren't just shrouded in darkness. The tourney will start between 10:00 and 10:30, pretty much as soon as I can get the stuff out of the arcade and to my house. I will try to have like 4-6 TVs set up outside, with enough space, tables, and chairs to run it fine. It should be a lot of fun!

People Who Will Most Likely Go
  • ChiboSempai
  • GOTM
  • Scar
  • Spammer
  • Teczero
  • Eggm
  • Pakman
  • Velocity
  • M2k
  • Vex Kasrani
  • Xzax
  • MexiMadnez
  • Talwind
  • AztecKing
  • Bean
  • Kyuu
  • TerrV
  • Ponchoman
  • Siggy
  • Rogue Pit
  • .com
  • Kupo
  • G
  • Beat
  • JFox
  • Cat Fight
  • Alukard
  • Jman
  • H4x
  • DJ Nintendo
  • Zro
  • Black Waltz
  • Toushi
  • Reno
  • Crismas
  • TGPAdmin
  • TenNoTensai
  • Keitaro
  • lightxdream
  • xzanderz
  • yellowroy
  • xanathan
  • Alukard
  • Steel2nd
  • ConverseChef
  • Lord Knight
  • Atomsk
  • dmbrandon
  • Pride
  • Inui
  • Supersonic9
  • blu link
  • indianunit
  • MTbrawler829
  • Da Truth
  • AsIaN KiD 093
  • the_suicide_fox
  • WeretigerX
  • Deff

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i think this might be the first time every single member of ToS will all be at one place. It's time for crew battles to happen. In melee and brawl.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i needed the brawl focus for the first one so i can attract a good local attendance to bump up the pot. i need to show the venue i can make money and pay them so i can secure the venue in the future.

GOTM

Smash Champion
i needed the brawl focus for the first one so i can attract a good local attendance to bump up the pot. i need to show the venue i can make money and pay them so i can secure the venue in the future.
QFT, but if it is a big hit, and he lets you use it for the next one, make it melee only. :)

though for that to happen, and since the melee tourney starts at noon promptly, be there by then people if you wanna play melee! show em this game aint dead

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
show up a tad b4 noon. it starts at noon. gotta do registration b4 it starts lol. i whipped up some flyers and just gave em to the arcade to post around. flyers chillin around for 3 weeks before it at an arcade with tons of video game hungry teens constantly hangin around should get the scrub count to enormous levels lol

also, i updated the front post with a quick overview of the tourney for those who dont like reading giant wall of texts lol

o yea, and this might be the first event where every single ToS member will be together at the same time. every. single. one. lol someone needs to make sure terrv comes, and see about ponchoman. we need a crew pic
we'll crew battle anyone in any game lol

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Norfair is banned... whyyyyyy?

If I can get a ride I would love to come and meet you NJ smashers.

I wad born in Englewood, and lived in Cape May for a while.

Would be nice to visit. =^___^=

Alukard

Smash Hero
if i can get a ride i would go =) and i'll bring swat with me too ^_^

hax jman dj nintendo zro and the rest ^_^

Beat

Smash Ace
Who the **** is Bean? And why is he on the maybe coming list and not me?

Sugar, water, and Beat. It's delicious.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Who the **** is Bean? And why is he on the maybe coming list and not me?

Sugar, water, and Beat. It's delicious.
bean is a tos member. dont smack talk him lol. u are on there on the list.

and montage better come to this. montage vs tos crew battle is going down here. we have all our members, u can bring all urs. its perfect lol

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
LOL i probably am not coming. My mom just got put onto work friday and saturday(1st and 2nd) and were going down on the 3rd. But me and my brother might go August first at night but Vex as summer school.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
well vex has summer school, and he cant stay for august 2nd and 3rd and go home since we cannot drive him. and if i am able to make this tournament i have to leave early on august 1st, he is in summer school still(i think)
Its either me or neither unfortunately

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
im sorry but i cant think of any real viable way lol. only thing i can think of is to take a chinatown bus to philly then a train to AC. thats like 4 hours though, and honestly is not worth it lol. wait for a cot4

im more trying to attract a slightly more local audience with it. its not the giant awesome venues some tourneys have. the actual room where the TVs and stuff are is a lil small, so as it is i doubt every single person can be up there at the same time (but can chill around the arcade all they want).

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
im sorry but i cant think of any real viable way lol. only thing i can think of is to take a chinatown bus to philly then a train to AC. thats like 4 hours though, and honestly is not worth it lol. wait for a cot4

im more trying to attract a slightly more local audience with it. its not the giant awesome venues some tourneys have. the actual room where the TVs and stuff are is a lil small, so as it is i doubt every single person can be up there at the same time (but can chill around the arcade all they want).
Yea, guess I will sit this one out.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
awesome, iv been wantin to play scranton outside of ch3 since there was barely any time there

also, its prob 10 min from ac. the place is like 4-5 min into brig from AC, so whatever u wanna think it as. its about 2 min away in velocity miles per hours

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
^^ LOL
i remember when i seen velcoity come over to Dominos to drop off my controller and it was 9 at night. there was NO one on Hutingdon Pike and he was going atleast 75 MPH and he barely made it into the parking lot. lol
And from AC to Brig isnt 10 mins , it take like a min to cross the bridge

R3N0

Smash Lord
BTW CHIBO GG WAY TO NOT PUT ME ON THE MAYBE COMING LIST!!!

btw anyone wanna house me in S.Jersey / PA the night before? and possibly the night of the tourny and leave sunday? I'm thinking EGGM would but I don't know for sure since hes probably @ fast right now.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
You're the ROB I face yesterday aren't you Chibo?!

That first match was probably the best I've managed to preform on WiFi, sadly I couldn't keep this going into matches 2 and 3. I wish this event wasn't like 5 hours away or I'd probably go. Venue sounds awesome.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
MDM - yea that was me on AiB

sry everyone I really didn't plan to be competing with Chu on this one lol
normally things are fine with 2 events, one being md.va and the other south jersey lol

Top Bottom