• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Remake?

Kakugyo

Smash Cadet
No, what you failed to understand is that people like smash 64 for the game it is. Sure there are broken moves, but going back to the game and fixing it is going to change the way the game plays, and not everyone wants that.

What you said was you wanted them to go back to the game and balance the characters, while improving the graphics. Well, they basically did that with melee and then brawl. So why bother "HD remixing" when you already have 2 sequels of better graphics and mechanics. So yea, read closely to what I was saying.

Just stating my opinion, just like you did, but apparently you couldn't handle the criticism so you find yourself having to shoot down mine.

Again, read what I was saying. I was talking about only remodeling the stages, not the characters. The polygon-like character's is what makes the game more fun/nostalgic in my opinion. They only use enough polygons to get the general idea, leaving more to the imagination, and that's what makes n64 great, they generalized a lot of the graphics based off the limited software capabilities and still managed to make great games while today it's mostly about how pretty the graphics look. So, i was basically saying keep the old school feel of the polygon characters and incorporate some of the new age technology on the stages, balancing old with new. Just an opinion though, sorry you can't handle it.

Don't let your ego get to you. You obviously couldn't handle that I criticized your idea so you went ahead and nitpicked everything I said to say something witty and snide as a counter. They you used the final blow of the join date for the feeling of utmost greatest satisfaction and accomplishment. It doesn't bother me though, because I'm not the one making myself look like the idiot right now. If you've got something to say in return, feel free, but I'm not going to respond if I get a similar response as before. Besides, I even said your idea was cool, so I have no idea why you blew up about it
good point, but brawl and melee just have too many characters.

tsilver33

Smash Ace
Keeping in mind when this came out, and what was popular then, I would think the following characters would be added.

One, Banjo-Kazooie. His games were always extremely popular. Still are, and the rights weren't to Microsoft back then.

Two, Little Mac. His games were really popular on the Super NES.

Both would have made a lot of sense in my opinion.

Kakugyo

Smash Cadet
Keeping in mind when this came out, and what was popular then, I would think the following characters would be added.

One, Banjo-Kazooie. His games were always extremely popular. Still are, and the rights weren't to Microsoft back then.

Two, Little Mac. His games were really popular on the Super NES.

Both would have made a lot of sense in my opinion.
I agree that Banjo-kazooie would have fitted, the theme was strictly nintendo at the time, but banjo-kazooie was a Rare Game. They only put two third-party characters in brawl, and Masihiro sakurai, I think, wanted to have it just nintendo. But he couldn't be in one if the remade it, like you said they're with microsof now. (Donkey Kong 64 is my favourite game on any system D: )

As for Little mac, I'm not really sure, Only very obvious characters got in Smash 64, and I wouldn't think Little mac is obvious.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I agree that Banjo-kazooie would have fitted, the theme was strictly nintendo at the time, but banjo-kazooie was a Rare Game. They only put two third-party characters in brawl, and Masihiro sakurai, I think, wanted to have it just nintendo. But he couldn't be in one if the remade it, like you said they're with microsof now. (Donkey Kong 64 is my favourite game on any system D: )

As for Little mac, I'm not really sure, Only very obvious characters got in Smash 64, and I wouldn't think Little mac is obvious.
Ness, Falcon and Jiggly obvious? (I know puff was like the second most popular pokemon in japan but still)

Seala

Smash Apprentice
I'd actually say Falcon is the least obvious, I mean both Earthbound and Pokémon were very popular so I wasn't really suprised by those characters atleast, but falcon didn't really feel like a main character even tho you had played the f-zero games. But I guess he's just that bad ***.

Kakugyo

Smash Cadet
Earthbound and F-zero are extremely popular and both have quite an abundant fanbase each, and I am part of both.

Seala

Smash Apprentice
Earthbound and F-zero are extremely popular and both have quite an abundant fanbase each, and I am part of both.
Yes, I wasn't saying f-zero wasn't popular, it's just that falcon doesn't really seem like a main character in F-zero (there's not to much story, really).

Kakugyo

Smash Cadet
Yes, I wasn't saying f-zero wasn't popular, it's just that falcon doesn't really seem like a main character in F-zero (there's not to much story, really).
He is the more rounded character out of the starters.

Kakugyo

Smash Cadet
plus, he is always the one in the front when they show all the characters and has his helmet appear a lot on the f-zero x menu screens, and in recent games, there is a story and it revolves around him.

oFangZo

Smash Rookie
I don't know. All the original 12 characters really seem to fit well in the game, although Falcon having all those flashy moves is KIND OF awkward. I'd say put in like, 6-8 more characters for a remake: G&W, ICs, Pit, Banjo-Kazooie (I agree with this character put in; they would be kind of like the ICs I would think), Zelda (if you notice, 64 kept a "good guys" theme with characters, maybe DK is a semi-exception), and possibly Megaman as a third-party character

S8on95

Smash Cadet
First of all, D3 is in the game. If you look in the background of dreamland, you see him floating by. Also, if it were remade, I would like it to have a magical shorthop button, because it is nearly impossible to short hop on a keyboard.

Dogboy

Smash Apprentice
Just put in the data for dedede, mewtwo, etc, i.e. the chars that were going to be originally put in but were scratched. Open up final destination, give the graphics and maybe some sounds an overhaul, and include an "advanced tutorial" that will teach you your character, even if it's just an sf4 style "challenge mode".

kit

Smash Apprentice
I'd have loved to see banjo kazooie and conker even though rare hates nintendo... this is prly why they aren't/weren't in smash...

rpotts

Smash Lord
then that wont be ssb64
there should be absolutely no changes to the matchup chart
both of what you stated would change it
Yea but wouldn't adding stages do it too, like if they added several legal stages that played much differently, eg less gimping so matchups changed.

I say more characters would be great, so long as the don't add any characters greater than pikachu or worse than bottom tierers.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
then that wont be ssb64
there should be absolutely no changes to the matchup chart
both of what you stated would change it
Who said ssb64 is perfect? Why not try to improve it by balancing the chars even more? At least, change some obvious stuff like the horrible Link and Ness recoveries, or nerf kirby's utilt, for example.
I'd say the best improvement for ssb64 would be improving the recoveries in general, I think edgeguarding in this game is a bit too easy.

JustCause

Smash Cadet
I'd say the best improvement for ssb64 would be improving the recoveries in general, I think edgeguarding in this game is a bit too easy.
I agree, with one complaint in particular: fix Pikachu's FSmash. Has anyone here looked at a diagram of the hitbox on it? I had the fortune to find one once: it barely relates to the attack itself at all.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
it's such a snowball effect, trying to "improve" on a game while still maintaining its original identity. It's really unrealistic also since attempts to improve the game are going to have unforeseen effects on the gameplay.

it's not a perfect game but heck, i don't want a perfect game, i want ssb64.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
If you were gonna do SSB64 HD Remix, I think that the only nerf should be to make it so pika and kirby have more hitstun so they can be comboed more easily.

Other than that nothing should be nerfed. Maybe make the lower tiers better, but don't make any character worse. You want to balance around the current top tier and the current style of play.

New stages would be awesome, at least metal mario, FD and battle field should be accessible. New characters would be cool but would require a ton of testing and might mess up game balance.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Just to remember, European version of SSB64 was the last modified version and already had an improved Link, with a better recovery and a faster horizontal speed. You clearly notice that Link is a tough rival there, harder to edgeguard and harder to beat in general. Same can be done with other things.

D

Deleted member

How would adding more characters hurt a game, considering you change nothing else besides maybe add a stage or 2

JustCause

Smash Cadet
How would adding more characters hurt a game, considering you change nothing else besides maybe add a stage or 2
You should really quote people when you say things like that, so we know who made the accusation.

Adding more characters to SSB wouldn't hurt it, but it does offend some. By this point, SSB is an unshakable bastion of awesome in the eyes of many players, and they look at these modifications from the perspective of "Is it still SSB?" (no) rather than "Does it make the game fairer/give more options?"

Personally, I'm a fan of an unlocked FD and Battlefield, but against new characters and tweaking existing ones: I can't quite look at it objectively. As hamburglar said earlier,

it's not a perfect game but heck, i don't want a perfect game, i want ssb64.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
It wouldn't but if the new character was too good it could mess up the game's balance. Of course you could decide to ban the new character but there are HUGE fights over that, as we saw with Metaknight.

MattNF

Smash Lord
I don't care about new characters, but if they remade it they should make it more balanced

dch111

Smash Journeyman
More stages. More options (timed stock, custom Random, etc.). Also, fix the random generator that always spews out Zebes and Yoshi's Island more than anything else (not kidding you...we actually kept tally once and it does end up at those two stages more often than the rest for some reason).

Edit:

I agree, with one complaint in particular: fix Pikachu's FSmash. Has anyone here looked at a diagram of the hitbox on it? I had the fortune to find one once: it barely relates to the attack itself at all.
Dude! Where did you find it? I've been trying to look for hitboxes in this game for years!!

Top Bottom