• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Remake?

NixxxoN

Smash Master
@Fireblaster (i don't feel like quoting again). Anyways, while I did say stupid stuff at the end there, I was just trying to say that there is no point in HD remixing the game. It would be a wasted effort.
Don't agree. Add to the "HD thing" more stages more characters and try to balance them a bit more. And you'll have the best game ever

Dark_

Smash Rookie
SSB64 is perfect as it is.
If you change a little thing it would become to another smash bros game. The ssb64 players would still play the original game.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I'm up for rebalancing, but I'm iffy on polygonal look. The polygonal look is what doesn't make it age. If the graphics were as "good" as OOT or Goldeneye, then they'd rot with time. The way SSB64 is makes it look like it could be a new game that was purposely made to look retro.

Slight graphical updates sounds good though. Higher res polygons YESSSS. Make it look like a modern game that tries looking retro.

Doubt it would happen, of course, but it's nice.

New characters I don't want, FD and BF added [and patched a bit, like BF's edges and platform height] would be awesome.

Superstar

Smash Champion
He made the sprites look better, rebalanced the game, thought up some scenarios, etc etc. I saw comparisons of sprites and the like, and read up a bit about it.

However, SF's original sprites age much more than SSB64's. SSB64 passes for a modern game emulating retro [think Pokemon Ranch but...better]. They can update the graphics though, but I don't want it to look like Brawl. Closer to TF2.

Not the same style, but more stylized at the least. Like an updated retro look.

I just doubt it'd happen cause Nintendo sucks. They think their Brawl is perfect.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
An HD-Remix would be pretty cool if it was done intelligently, specifically the balance tweaks. Nothing too drastic like nerfing all throws, just small tweaks like toning down the size of certain pink puffballs' uptilts.

I don't really care about graphical updates either way, although I could see people liking the silly polygons. I do think that more flamboyant 2d effects would be cool (think of the fire-bird on falcon punch) though. The suggestion for allowing players to normally select BF and FD is also cool.

Clearly somebody badass should just hack 64, make these changes, and put it on Wii Homebrew. Can't be that hard, right?

alcoady

Smash Ace
some might find this surprising but...

i think i would like earthworm jim (not sure if he's even nintendo)
and a battletoad don't care which one (zit,rash, or pimple...all rock)

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
they should do it when the ds ever gets as powerful and the screen is as big as a psp (probably never).

If they were going to remake actually put more in, there would be no point just giving it plastic surgery.

mechanics: throws are powerful, shields lag, no-auto sweetspot ledge, heaps of hitstun, no pummel, no z air, recoveies don't go that far.

add good improvement like <-B->, charged smashes, tags, replays, screenshots, sd card support, better 1 player modes, better AI and grab ledges while facing away.

chars: original 12 + bowser, marth, ike , diddy, peach, shiek/zelda, all the good ones.
no rob, mewtwo, wolf or any of that ****. char limit should be nore more than melee.
masterhand needs featuring.

stages: originals + the better neutrals - smashville, yoshi (melee). Remake the "zako" stage (looks like brawl bf) and final destiantion.
again the good counter stages from other games.
Bowsers castle stage should be made. F-zero and mother stage anybody who missed out.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
they should do it when the ds ever gets as powerful and the screen is as big as a psp (probably never).
Portable consoles suck and always will:
-Expensive
-Very little screen
-Less powerful
-Easy to break
-Sh¡t controller
-Less popular, therefore less games

Fireblaster

Smash Lord

If they were going to remake actually put more in, there would be no point just giving it plastic surgery.

mechanics: throws are powerful, shields lag, no-auto sweetspot ledge, heaps of hitstun, no pummel, no z air, recoveies don't go that far.

add good improvement like <-B->, charged smashes, tags, replays, screenshots, sd card support, better 1 player modes, better AI and grab ledges while facing away.

chars: original 12 + bowser, marth, ike , diddy, peach, shiek/zelda, all the good ones.
no rob, mewtwo, wolf or any of that ****. char limit should be nore more than melee.
masterhand needs featuring.

stages: originals + the better neutrals - smashville, yoshi (melee). Remake the "zako" stage (looks like brawl bf) and final destiantion.
again the good counter stages from other games.
Bowsers castle stage should be made. F-zero and mother stage anybody who missed out.
Are you on the wrong board?

LSDX

Wah!
Making a Smash64 remake is highly unlikely. If anything, the only possibility would be re-releasing SSB64 on the VC with higher resolution graphics and bug fixes.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Anyone who doesn't like the polygons in 64 is crazy. If there were a graphical update, all they would need to do is polish the polygons. That would look sooooo great. 64 is just perfect though, but I wouldn't mind seeing some broken moves get nerfed (Kirby utilt).

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Nixxxon said:
Portable consoles suck and always will:
-Expensive
-Very little screen
-Less powerful
-Easy to break
-Sh¡t controller
-Less popular, therefore less games
Uh, what?

Expensive? The DS is currently half the price of a Wii/Xbox.

Easy to break? I left my game boy colour outside in the dirt and rain for days, as well as have it get squished by furniture and dropped it multiple times. I had a friend whose original gameboy got run over by a lawnmower and still worked. I've dropped and stepped on my DS a huge number of times.

The wii won't even read discs if somebody nearby smokes sometimes. And the 360 breaks without you even having to provoke it. Everyone I know who owns a PS2 has had it crap out on them and has replaced it at least once, many twice or more times.

**** controller? The DS is basically a SNES controller, which you can't say was ****. The wiimote is way worse.

And less popular? Are you on drugs? The DS is currently outselling the Wii at 2 : 1. The original Gameboy has sold about as much as the NES, SNES, and the Gamecube combined. The only console that can even compare is the PS2, which as I already said has inflated sales because everyone who bought one bought at least one more.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Uh, what?

Expensive? The DS is currently half the price of a Wii/Xbox.

Easy to break? I left my game boy colour outside in the dirt and rain for days, as well as have it get squished by furniture and dropped it multiple times. I had a friend whose original gameboy got run over by a lawnmower and still worked. I've dropped and stepped on my DS a huge number of times.

The wii won't even read discs if somebody nearby smokes sometimes. And the 360 breaks without you even having to provoke it. Everyone I know who owns a PS2 has had it crap out on them and has replaced it at least once, many twice or more times.

**** controller? The DS is basically a SNES controller, which you can't say was ****. The wiimote is way worse.

And less popular? Are you on drugs? The DS is currently outselling the Wii at 2 : 1. The original Gameboy has sold about as much as the NES, SNES, and the Gamecube combined. The only console that can even compare is the PS2, which as I already said has inflated sales because everyone who bought one bought at least one more.
They are expensive given the performance.
The PSP is the only decent performance portable console and is hella easy to break.
snes controller = sh¡t controller... so are all of them. No good handling, no good stick.
Game boy is an exception and so are the successors of it, because of the game adapting feature.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I find it funny how half the people who post want massive changes, like new characters, new stages, and new features. There's a difference between an update and a completely new game.

SSB 4 discussion here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=170103

As for updates, I still think the only thing that should change is making the 'special' stages playable... without gameshark (and in Final Destination's case, without crashing).

As for balancing out the game, if that were to happen, lots of characters, if not all, would need changes. All higher characters (not just Kirby) would need to be 'worsened', while lower characters would need to be improved. Here's my suggestion:

Pikachu have less priority

Kirby's up-tilt have less priority

Fox's lazers be similar to his melee's lasers (deals some damage, but no hit-stun).

Falcon's range reduced.

Puff have a better 5 jumps, rest does not send opponents as far.

Link have a better recovery (like up-B sends him farther, like his melee / brawl recovery).

Luigi have a slightly smaller short-hop.

DK's cargo release infinite be impossible to do. Attacks have slightly less start-up / ending lag.

Samus be less floaty and have usable combos.

Yoshi have some sort of third jump, maybe the same thing as brawl's recovery (up-B sends an egg, but rises Yoshi a bit).

Ness have less landing lag after his up-B.

Mario be... well, Mario. He seems to be fine.

If character updates like these were done, then they should be done frequently, continuouslybalancing out the new imbalances until the game is balanced enough... like they did with Starcraft.

Gygados

Smash Apprentice
Don't turn around, 'cos then I'll be behind you.
It would be nice to have an SSB64DS (mouthfull). I only got chnace to play it one or two times at my friend's, since I never got an N64, and although it'd never live up to the home console versions, one on the handheld would be pretty cool whne you just wanna play it anywhere.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I never had or played on a DS, but here's what I think about that:

The problem with having it on the DS is that the screen is soo small. It's probably soo small that some things (like the motion sensor bomb in item battles... or Samus's bomb) are too small to see. It would be terrible for competitive play, even with online capabilities. Also, there are nowhere near enough buttons, or the hand position is too awkward to use all the buttons.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Not enough buttons? It has A B X Y L R, which is more than enough. The main problem imo is lack of analog sensitivity. Smash as a whole is kind of built on that.

Nixxxon said:
They are expensive given the performance.
The PSP is the only decent performance portable console and is hella easy to break.
snes controller = sh¡t controller... so are all of them. No good handling, no good stick.
Game boy is an exception and so are the successors of it, because of the game adapting feature.
So the Gameboy sales are an exception at 120 million? Are the DS sales also an exception at 100 million? What about the PSP? With 50 million sales, it has still outsold every Nintendo console but the NES. So which handheld exactly is NOT an exception?

And as for durability...I don't own a PSP, but I imagine a $12 plastic protector thing would solve most of its problems. But it is hardly relevant anyway. Historically, Nintendo's products ARE the handheld market and likely will continue to be, and they have an amazing track record of durability.

And what do you mean by 'game adapting feature' ?

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Not enough buttons? It has A B X Y L R, which is more than enough. The main problem imo is lack of analog sensitivity. Smash as a whole is kind of built on that.

So the Gameboy sales are an exception at 120 million? Are the DS sales also an exception at 100 million? What about the PSP? With 50 million sales, it has still outsold every Nintendo console but the NES. So which handheld exactly is NOT an exception?

And as for durability...I don't own a PSP, but I imagine a $12 plastic protector thing would solve most of its problems. But it is hardly relevant anyway. Historically, Nintendo's products ARE the handheld market and likely will continue to be, and they have an amazing track record of durability.

And what do you mean by 'game adapting feature' ?
The PSPs have been famous for being the only with relatively high performace portable console but also for their laser wrecking. I bet a lot of people have owned 2 of them for that. So they are expensive. Plus not many games. Not worth buying it imo.
As for the Nintendo, the Gameboy was a true success, true, but other than that... they only updated it a little bit with the GB colour, GB advance, advance SP and now nintendo DS, which all of them (if im not wrong) is compatible with the older versions games, thats one of the reasons for their success of the latter versions.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
well, you're partly right. All of them are compatible with the older versions, but you can't link two GBC games (like pokemon red blue yellow) on a GBA. Linking of games, I believe, must be done on the specific handheld for that game.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
well, you're partly right. All of them are compatible with the older versions, but you can't link two GBC games (like pokemon red blue yellow) on a GBA. Linking of games, I believe, must be done on the specific handheld for that game.
you can still link them fine

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
then mine must have been bugged :p me and my sister tried to link blue and red to do something on the GBA, and it didn't work (way back in the day).

wait... it should work, since you can link gold to blue etc.

What drugs am I taking? :p

Seala

Smash Apprentice
then mine must have been bugged :p me and my sister tried to link blue and red to do something on the GBA, and it didn't work (way back in the day).

wait... it should work, since you can link gold to blue etc.

What drugs am I taking? :p
Needs moar poookeeemaaan

Kmaru

Smash Cadet
Mega Man

Actually how tight would a smash style game be with all Mega Man chars? I'm talking original NES MM... I dream

Glover? lol
i agree...megaman should at least have been in melee...but not even brawl!!!
its harsh!!!

Mikhas

Smash Apprentice
they only updated it a little bit with the GB colour, GB advance, advance SP and now nintendo DS, which all of them (if im not wrong) is compatible with the older versions games, thats one of the reasons for their success of the latter versions.
GB can play GB games
GBC can play GBC and GB games
GBA can play GBA, GBC, and GB games
DS can play DS and GBA games
DSi can play DSi and DS games

The link cable has a little plastic nub on the end of it which makes it not be able to connect a GBA and a GBC/GB, but if you file it down, it will work.

Croija

Smash Rookie
Only reason I could see for a remake of SSB64 is for it to be ported to handheld. The DS seems the obvious choice, but as has already been said, the screen is too small. Smash over two screens is a different story...

In regards to needing an analog stick, the touch screen on DS can be used in conjunction with the thumb to create the feel of a stick. It was rather clunky in Super Mario 64 DS however, not sure it would work with Smash. :ohwell:

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
The stages and a bit of a graphical touch...that's about it. If you change anything else...as was said already, you might as well make Smash Bros. 4.

Megaman was in Onimusha Blade Warriors...which was a Smash-type of game, xD. Plus I heard about him being in some other Smash-like game. Still in all...Megaman has been in MvC and MvC2 as well.

Kakugyo

Smash Cadet
The only compelling reason to remake a fighting game is for rebalancing and, if you like that sort of thing, a graphical update. Adding new characters is what shiny sequels are for.

SSB64 needs neither of these things, it's exactly perfect the way it is. ^_^ On top of which edited remakes kind of bother me, personally, because I feel like it damages posterity v_v
Well, yes. I was only think of a few new characters (4-6).
I don't like to be one of those people who are all about characters, but 12 is JUST under the minimum limit of characters for me. 14, 16, or 18 characters is a perfect smash game for me. (maybe a new stage or two).

Kakugyo

Smash Cadet
First off, Holy crap! More than a couple people actually gave their time to comment! I'm very thankful. I didn't expect anyone to comment on my first thread.

Second, I don't want people to think that I'm one of those people who just want, like 20 new characters, I was thinking of maybe 6. However, I don't think the graphics need THAT MUCH work, maybe just a little rounding (Especially on yoshi, ****, just look at his character model, my god! A polygonal mess). A little retouching here, and there, but nothing big.
Also, on the topic of stages, maybe two, three, more. Nothing big. This would be just a little re-issue. The only way it would ever have a chince is if it's a small project.

I was thinking Dedede, Sukapon (He's perfect, have you ever played JMF?), Mewtwo, Peach, Ganondorf (sword. Why did they ever make him a clone), and... Some older character because we all know how sakurai loves old games.

I'm not sure AT ALL about it though.

Lastly... Keep the ideas coming!

Croija

Smash Rookie
As far as stages go, I think most of the single player stages should playable in multiplayer. Where you fight the polygons, metal mario and master hand.

If new characters were to be added, it should be characters that haven't been seen in other smash games. Banjo & Kazooie definitely.

Top Bottom