• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Remake?

SilentSlayers

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see Harry from Teleroboxer. lolol The game kicks ***.

A smash 64 remake would be pretty nice, I wouldn't want to see the graphics so over done and 3D, though. Is it just me, or do the new high def 3D fighters just make the game-play not as fun and just feel so odd?

Yeah, Link is pretty amazing and DK is fcuking cheap.

I just wish their recoveries were a bit better.

For changing characters, though.

Kirby: should be a little bit nerfed, make him a bit bigger so he's easier to hit
Link: Bombs hit box smaller, recovery go vertical a bit more.
Samus: Get rid of the bombs stealing your own jump, more hit stun and less knock back.
Pikachu: Make the dirty rat more adorable.
Jiggs: Make her rest more powerful, u-throw has more hit stun.
Fail.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I'd like to see Melee samus bomb jumping and the grapple being able to grab the ledge (same thing with link's hookshot)

D

Deleted member

Um.. If you think Smash 64 is boring, why are you here?
and, to the "balancers" here, I dont know what's exactly broken in this game besides all the glitches that have found their way into advanced play, lol... If those were fixed, what would the smash community do without "advanced technique" and "black hole glitch" tutoriials?Lol.

Anyway, heres my change list, again....

Update Graphics, sounds for current gen.
Rewrite the controls script so that they can be configged a la Brawl.
Inmert the characters that were originally going to be put in form the start ddd, etc...
smash 64 isn't that boring but these "balancing" changes would make it a lot more boring than it already is

you are a ***** btw

Kakugyo

Smash Cadet
smash 64 isn't that boring but these "balancing" changes would make it a lot more boring than it already is

you are a ***** btw
1. No, Smash 64 is the least boring of them all
2. It's a video game, are you going to be so immature you get mad over it?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Whoever said Smash 64 is boring is dead wrong.

Smash 64 was / is probably better than Brawl. In terms of like balancing, etc.

-Terywj
Can't agree here. I played a ton of Smash 64 the night before last and man, the game is wonky. Wonderful N64 game, but you can't deny that Brawl is far more refined. Smash 64 may seem more balanced, but it's 1/3 size cast compared to Brawl's throws that off. I would rather play Brawl.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Can't agree here. I played a ton of Smash 64 the night before last and man, the game is wonky. Wonderful N64 game, but you can't deny that Brawl is far more refined. Smash 64 may seem more balanced, but it's 1/3 size cast compared to Brawl's throws that off. I would rather play Brawl.
??? You played it for one night, probably vs. people with much more experience than you. Of course it'll seem wonky. Brawl seemed the same way when I first played it.

However if you say that the N64 joystick needs work, I can wholeheartedly agree with that. :p

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Totally disagree.

Who cares if brawl has 100000 chars or 10000 stages, the gameplay is still pretty bad compared to ssb64. Best of all smash games imo.
Remember, there's would be no melee or brawl if ssb64 didnt exist,
and i'd say there would be no second part if brawl was created first lol

Frogles

Smash Ace
refined my ****ing ****. smash 64 is "wonky" yet brawl is "refined" with all its grab release, jab lock, and infinite combo bull****. get a grip man. if there's one thing about brawl that's refined, it sure as hell isn't the gameplay.

Spire

III
BRoomer
@ Daedatheus - Nah, I faired well. Just because I played it two nights ago doesn't mean it was my first time. I've played it on and off since it was released back in '99.

@ NixxxoN - There would be no sequels period of the originals did not exist, but often times as history has shown, sequels are superior. I believe that Melee and Brawl > SSB64. It was fun for its time, but there's a reason that they made a new one in just two years following its release. And you honestly think that if Brawl were released first in its entirety that there wouldn't be a sequel? That's madness. Even Cooking Mama has had numerous sequels and have any of them been better than Brawl? No. Foolery right here. Brawl would have absolutely nothing to be compared to if released first, so it would be seen as an absolutely incredible game.

I forgot that you can't dog on a game in a forum supporting it because your opinion is instantly considered wrong. In just an hour and a half I'm berated and told to "get a grip". Seems as if the wonkiness in a game tends to rub off on some of its players as they must defend themselves from someone who does not happen to like what they devote so much time to. Sorry I stopped by.

Frogles

Smash Ace
@ Daedatheus - Nah, I faired well. Just because I played it two nights ago doesn't mean it was my first time. I've played it on and off since it was released back in '99.

@ NixxxoN - There would be no sequels period of the originals did not exist, but often times as history has shown, sequels are superior. I believe that Melee and Brawl > SSB64. It was fun for its time, but there's a reason that they made a new one in just two years following its release. And you honestly think that if Brawl were released first in its entirety that there wouldn't be a sequel? That's madness. Even Cooking Mama has had numerous sequels and have any of them been better than Brawl? No. Foolery right here. Brawl would have absolutely nothing to be compared to if released first, so it would be seen as an absolutely incredible game.

I forgot that you can't dog on a game in a forum supporting it because your opinion is instantly considered wrong. In just an hour and a half I'm berated and told to "get a grip". Seems as if the wonkiness in a game tends to rub off on some of its players as they must defend themselves from someone who does not happen to like what they devote so much time to. Sorry I stopped by.
was it something i said? =D

perhaps i was a bit rude but im not gonna apologize. really what do you expect when you come here and say some **** like that? we get melee/brawl players comin here all the time downplayin the game actin like they know what's goin on. so maybe next time you feel like stoppin by you should choose your words a little more carefully if you don't want people jumping on you.

Spire

III
BRoomer
was it something i said? =D

perhaps i was a bit rude but im not gonna apologize. really what do you expect when you come here and say some **** like that? we get melee/brawl players comin here all the time downplayin the game actin like they know what's goin on. so maybe next time you feel like stoppin by you should choose your words a little more carefully if you don't want people jumping on you.
That's not how it works dude. I firstly don't even consider myself a smasher at all. I play the games every now and then (probably an equal amount of SSB64, Melee, and Brawl), saw what Terywj posted, and felt I'd respond to his thoughts with my just-so-happen-to-oppose feelings toward the game. Then you jump down my throat and I have to cough up a squirming Vaporeon.

I won't withdraw my feelings towards your game either. The roster may be more balanced, but the gameplay looks and feels silly to me and there's nothing in the world that can change that. No SSB64+ out there that I'm aware of. When it comes to Smash Bros., I prefer Melee and Brawl's handling of mechanics and physics over SSB64's.

DMoogle

A$
Meh, all the Smash games have fantastic replay value. I don't really like any one more than the other (except Brawl, which wins for 3/4 player matches).

SSB just has the best online compatibility at the moment, so I play that the most.

Lil Slugger

Smash Rookie
That's not how it works dude. I firstly don't even consider myself a smasher at all. I play the games every now and then (probably an equal amount of SSB64, Melee, and Brawl), saw what Terywj posted, and felt I'd respond to his thoughts with my just-so-happen-to-oppose feelings toward the game. Then you jump down my throat and I have to cough up a squirming Vaporeon.

I won't withdraw my feelings towards your game either. The roster may be more balanced, but the gameplay looks and feels silly to me and there's nothing in the world that can change that. No SSB64+ out there that I'm aware of. When it comes to Smash Bros., I prefer Melee and Brawl's handling of mechanics and physics over SSB64's.
It comes down to personal preference.

here's what I think:

gameplay
ssb64 > melee > brawl

visuals
melee > ssb64 > brawl
(I put Brawl last because while it may look nicer than Melee they did some horrific face structure changes to some characters)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
No problem with having your own opinion.

But yeah, it probably wasn't a good idea to come into the SSB64 forum and say that Brawl is superior...

Also, squirming Vaporeons. What?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Cool, so now we know your opinion is ignorant and irrelevant.

Next topic plz
Watch it. When respect for opinion dries, so does the integrity of the discussion ground. Keep the soil moist.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Watch it. When respect for opinion dries, so does the integrity of the discussion ground. Keep the soil moist.
Doesn't change the fact that your opinion was ignorant and based on false presumptions that you invented without playing any good players in this game or knowing much about this. I didn't know mods could give out infractions for people being honest.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
There would be no sequels period of the originals did not exist, but often times as history has shown, sequels are superior. I believe that Melee and Brawl > SSB64. It was fun for its time, but there's a reason that they made a new one in just two years following its release.
History has shown that sequels most of the times have been bad. Especially Hollywood movies.
And this is the main reason they made Melee two years after SSB64

And because the gamecube came out and they had to release a new game.

And you honestly think that if Brawl were released first in its entirety that there wouldn't be a sequel? That's madness. Even Cooking Mama has had numerous sequels and have any of them been better than Brawl? No. Foolery right here. Brawl would have absolutely nothing to be compared to if released first, so it would be seen as an absolutely incredible game.
1)Chars and stages -> Brawl wins by far
2)Graphics -> Brawl wins by far
3)Gameplay -> SSB64 wins by far

Whats more important of 1, 2 and 3 -> Gameplay wins by far.
SSB64 wins.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
I think he was just comparing 64 and Brawl in that part of the post, unless I'm mistaken.

And I'm pretty sure most people here aren't that strongly opinionated on comparisons, Spire. One disadvantage of forums is that you get skewed representations of its typical members because only the people who care enough to post, will post, and thus stronger opinions will appear dominant.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I think he was just comparing 64 and Brawl in that part of the post, unless I'm mistaken.

And I'm pretty sure most people here aren't that strongly opinionated on comparisons, Spire. One disadvantage of forums is that you get skewed representations of its typical members because only the people who care enough to post, will post, and thus stronger opinions will appear dominant.
Thanks for pointing that out to me.

I hate arguing with 64 players cause I like their game so much.

Lil Slugger

Smash Rookie
Isai likes ssb64 right? You'd expect him to like Melee because it's the closest to ssb64 in gameplay, correct? From what i've heard he does not like Melee and I'm sure that baffles the entire smash community.

It's personal preference.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
It's all opinionated as to whether sequels are 'worse'. For instance, I believe the Ratchet and Clank games started failing with the 4th one. To me, Pokemon hasn't been as good after Gold/Silver/Crystal (competitively it got better, in terms of gameplay, it dropped the ball). I also like the first Professor Layton best.

I like the first SSB best, it has fun graphics, good sound, good gameplay and nostalgic value. Melee is great as well. Brawl is fun, but that's it. It's not worth playing competitively.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
It really depends on the definition of better. Each indaviduals definition of 'better' varies so that is why no one will ever come to an agreement on things like these. It's so very pointless to argue about =/

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
This is like religion, for some it works, for others it doesn't and each side is going to think the other one is totally wrong, unless you can understand that something different works for everyone and you should let them be (which I'm glad to say this is what seems to be the case here C: ).

infernovia

Smash Ace
lol

Video games are different than movies. The only way to see if a video game has created a successful sequel is if you play the sequel more than the previous game. As video game history has shown us, a sequel is not always better than its prequel, especially if the developers were being stupid (Deus Ex 2). But there are successful sequels (Street fighter 2 -> Street Fighter Turbo).

That said, brawl is more refined? In what regards? Seems like it was intentionally unrefined to me.

Btw, I think 64 has awesome stages and brawl has zzz stages.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
sometimes i think a 4 player crazy games of melee tops a 1v1 repetitive game of 64. really close games on 64 were no one camps are the best though and brawl sucks.

Kakugyo

Smash Cadet
The problem I have with this is that gameplay is the only one decided by opinion.

You like SSB64 the best, others prefer Melee, and some prefer Brawl. It's all opinion.
Well, actually, no. You could argue that characters, stages, and graphics are from opinions. I don't like a game with lots of unrefined characters (BRAWL). I like one with a good roster of 12-25 characters (sound familiar?).

Also, I like polygons just as much as those smooth vector models. Especially when brawl is put on "smooth graphics", I can't even focus because it hurts my eyes so much. Even imagining it is hurts them.

I think brawl stages are lackluster and boring, especially stages that are basically battlefield with a different background, ex, yoshi's island, lylat cruize, and halberd.

Plus, the Luigi's Mansion stage was a complete atrocity and didn't have a lick to do with it!

Top Bottom