• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 ELO Rating

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
would total number of tournaments attended as a requirement be better or worse? ie you have to go to two tournaments to have your rating legitimized. but with the removal of dated tournaments happening, that might mess it up. i dunno.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
That wouldn't be horrible, but the number of tournaments you've been to isn't the best way to determine how much data you have. There are 8 man tournaments, and then there are 100 man tournaments, then there are tournaments with pools. 2 eight man tournaments =/= 1 tournament with pools in many cases.

edit: wasn't aware that revan took a set off of ybombb in GF of impulse. edited the list

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
So, based on what I have read in the last couple of pages, we can potentially make a really good player (i.e. superboom) not even be on the list by doing either of the following:

1. Have the majority of the tourney entrants say the tourney results will not count. (you have to do it for every tourney boom attends for 2 years straight)
Or 2. Just have me show up and play Samus in the tourney

This ELO stuff sounds leet clubba :p

clubbadubba

Smash Master
updated to include week 3 of ssbl finally. Once week 4 games are completed koro's win over killer will be added and we'll see how faster killer plummets.

Updated to include all ladder and league matches

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Updated to include a recent Washington round robin tourney via Jel, Thanks for Playing 2, and updated SSBL all the week through Week 7.

I made star king on console a different player, star king (controller). I will do this for keyboard to controller players or controller to keyboard players. Not for hori to 64, or xbox to 64, or keyboard A to keyboard B, just controller to keybaord or vice versa.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
so do I get different points for zenith then?
I did it for star king because he wanted it that way and hadn't done it before because I hadn't even thought about it. I know there are some other people who have gone both ways (LOL), i.e. boom and koro off the top of my head. If you want to have a separate name for keyboard/controller, just say the word. HOWEVER, this is an all or nothing thing. So either all your keyboard games go under a different name, or everything goes under the same name. No picking and choosing between individual games.

So boom, would you like me to make you a different name for keyboard?

Sensei

Smash Lord
I did it for star king because he wanted it that way and hadn't done it before because I hadn't even thought about it. I know there are some other people who have gone both ways (LOL), i.e. boom and koro off the top of my head. If you want to have a separate name for keyboard/controller, just say the word. HOWEVER, this is an all or nothing thing. So either all your keyboard games go under a different name, or everything goes under the same name. No picking and choosing between individual games.

So boom, would you like me to make you a different name for keyboard?
I"ve noticed something wrong in the ELO ratimgs.

I beat KEYBOARD KING 2 games in the grand finals set and lost one game. His Majesty then tagged in his stunt double, SuPeRbOoMfAn, where I then lost to 2 games to this imposter. You shouldn't count this that I lost to KEYBOARD KING. I'm 2-1 against His Holiness and 0-2 against his cunning double, SuPeRbOoMfAn, if you really want to look at it that way by splitting the best out of 5 set into two best out of 3 sets but that is silly.

I also disagree using different aliases for the same person, regardless of the their input method, for scenarios like the one above and other reasons as this complicates things.

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Putting in different names for different input methods is pretty DUM in my humble opinion. For reasons that Sensei mentioned.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
sensei's got a point. if you use a different name then the losses have to be scaled differently, don't they? or something like that.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
You right sensei forgot he switched. Definitely needs to be rethought at the very least.

No fireblaster, I clearly said 1 for kb and 1 for controller.

Well the idea is allow keyboard players to play in console tournaments when karajan isn't around and not tank their ELO rating in the process. It adds a lot of preventable inaccuracies to make star king online and star king on console the same person. Yes Star King did great at the last tournament, but remember the local one before that I beat him in both winner's and loser's. As much as I'd love to, it wouldn't be right for me to get credit for beating star king twice.

But then again if people are going to be switching controllers mid set then yea that does make things stupid. Potential solution would be to always use their best rated controller type if its a mixed set... We also wouldn't want people switching to whichever they are worse at when they play people they know will beat them just to avoid the loss.

mehhhh

edit: cobr what are you talking about scaled differently. They would have a completely separate rating but everything else is normal.

Sangoku

Smash Master
It looks like clubba is trying to do something for everyone's sake and everybody is trying to make him fail. Give the poor guy his peace of mind.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
keyboard king has 2 losses and 1 win but you have him listed as 1-0. but since he's essentially an unknown player (a 0-0 record going into the tourney and not playing any games besides gf) sensei shouldn't get a huge point boost for his two losses.

blah it's hard to explain how i see it. i mean sk used a hori and then a regular controller and if he goes to a tournament with a kb adapter he could use that.

i think it's fairer to score based against player and medium (console or pc) as opposed to input method (controller or kb or hori or gc). sk still retained his reading skills, situational knowledge, and mu experience, for instance.

mer i'm rambling.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
1. It goes by sets, not games. I wrongly had keyboard king winning a full set against sensei, which he did not entirely because he tagteamed with superboomfan. As I said this half and half set thing won't fly for the ratings obviously, it will be fixed somehow.

2. Yes keyboard king DID have a rating of 1500 when he played sensei. He is a completely new person. So he got credit for beating a really good player, and sensei got credit for losing to a mediocre player. Kind of messed up since it was in GF, so evidently it was a skilled player sensei was facing. I think a good solution is to list a player as his primary, UNLESS he plays an entire tournament with his alternate controller, in which case the alternate controller will get the credit.

I'm used to it sangoku. I know I've used this video before but its just so applicable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q3z4IP_nNU

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
oh i'm not trying to make him fail haha

i just don't think an alternate controller should make a difference in ratings. it should be split between online/console only, not whether or not someone used one of a dozen different kinds of input methods.

that's sorta like measuring someone in a FPS on the pc if they use a gamepad or the kb. or back in the age of empires days, if you used a laser or wheel mouse. etcetc.

it's like ADVANCED JOHNS
"he lost because he was using kb, let's score it differently"

TANK64

Smash Lord
ehh debatable pre-john.
Good point though. I can't just flat out disagree. It's obv a deliberate sandbag of sorts.
I mean, if he makes it a normal thing, we can start entertaining pre-john claims.
However- as it stands now, I think rating it separately isn't crazy at all.

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Change of topic but,

Should switching input method mid-set even be allowed? I feel like you should be locked in your input choice for at least each set, if not the whole tourney. Switching around could offer a tactical advantage, and we should assess whether its a fair one or not.

For example, controller Kirby has more aerial mobility and is better for air camping, and kb Kirby has an easier time pivot utilting, and is better against falcon (just a possible example, not sure if its totally accurate). If this is true, changing input method mid-set could really disrupt the opposing players spacing and rhythm.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Yes that would be great! I'll make a new region for JAPAN.

Also I need to fix the stuff so that each player has separate ELO ratings for each region. Right now Banze/oxalane's wins in NORTH AMERICA affect their BRAZIL rating, and vice versa because the 2 ratings are one and the same. I also have over 10 brazilian tournaments to add to this at some point lol.

banze

Smash Journeyman
About the KB issue, I do think exactly like Clubba option's 2 on a post up there.

And clubba, I have many many brackets from the older tournaments... I was thinking on submiting only the upcoming ones.
I can always send you the other ones if you like.
I just don't want it to interfere on the NA list tho =]. Let me know when you have that figured bro !

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i just need to fix something when i get the spare time you aren't interfering at all. I got a bunch of old brazil tournaments, and you were in most of them.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
What's the point of these rankings, they're not accurate at all. I'm ranked lower than people I've beat in ladder matches.

P D

Smash Ace
MATTS online tourney not counted for this? it was pretty epic

clubbadubba

Smash Master
What's the point of these rankings, they're not accurate at all. I'm ranked lower than people I've beat in ladder matches.
I've beaten X, therefore I'm automatically better than X is not accurate. This rating is based on math that is pretty accepted, you can look up ELO ratings if you want. If you want to know why you are rated so low its probably because you lost to dc-nerd.

I could go back and count MATTS tourney. I just started online with only future tournies.

Top Bottom