• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Backroom

Olikus

Smash Champion
So its not gonna be viewable? Thats sucks :( Then you have to copy it all and paste it in the social thread or something. We really need to see why discission are made. It doesnt help with a good rule, if you dont know why its good.

Thino

Smash Master
So its not gonna be viewable? Thats sucks :( Then you have to copy it all and paste it in the social thread or something. We really need to see why discission are made. It doesnt help with a good rule, if you dont know why its good.
why? that would totally kill the point of having a backroom if you ask me

having a backroom should mean that theres a minimum of trust in the members to make a rule because its good

plus Melee and Brawl's backroom seem to work the same way

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Melee and Brawl's backrooms are dumb. All it does is segregate the community and prevent new people from learning about the game.

The reason I want to at least try having the backroom be open is that if it starts out open and goes bad, it can be closed, but if it starts out closed it will never be open.

Battlecow

Play to Win
why? that would totally kill the point of having a backroom if you ask me

having a backroom should mean that theres a minimum of trust in the members to make a rule because its good

plus Melee and Brawl's backroom seem to work the same way
Well, I probably won't trust whoever's in the backroom to make good rules 100% of the time. So what? We shouldn't have one? Tell me something I don't know. If there isn't a universal acknowledgment that the BR mems will make the best decision all of the time, there's not that minimum of trust and your argument's dead.

Thino

Smash Master
Well, I probably won't trust whoever's in the backroom to make good rules 100% of the time. So what? We shouldn't have one? Tell me something I don't know. If there isn't a universal acknowledgment that the BR mems will make the best decision all of the time, there's not that minimum of trust and your argument's dead.
in that case we shouldnt have one , thats all

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Melee and Brawl's backrooms are dumb. All it does is segregate the community and prevent new people from learning about the game.

The reason I want to at least try having the backroom be open is that if it starts out open and goes bad, it can be closed, but if it starts out closed it will never be open.
if the MBR and BBR did not exist, the tier lists/stage lists would have never come out. However, the BBR and MBR tend to be bias.

There is a major person playing difference between smash 64 and the other 2 games.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
If the backroom decides to make an entire thread viewable, a mod can move the thread to the main thread.

Either that, or a backroom archive could be created so completed discussion threads can be placed there for the public to view.

However, obviously, there are some topics where threads are better not to be publicized, and only the final result.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
How is that obvious? That's exactly what we are arguing about.

Also the community can make a tier list without a back room. As far as I know, other fighting games do it.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
You are forgetting it's about the better, not about the "can be done"

The Backroom can make a BETTER tier list.

thats obvious...and why wouldn't it be? I mean the information gathered by those who know ssb64 best, thus it'll always be considerably better then data from anyone and everyone with a book to read.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
It's not clear at all since all those people that are the best of the best can still post, and we will weight their opinion highly. I don't see much of a difference.

Olikus

Smash Champion
If we not see the discussion, we need at least an explanation. Just randomly say DK fall two steps on the tier list and no one say why, it doesnt help anything. We need to know why.

The main point with a BR that would help the community, are that important dissions get made, without noobs spamming ramndomly suggestions. And help other players to get more insight and knowledge about the game. If 5 peolpe have a secret room and dont share anything, the rest of the community wouldnt learn anything, and we can disagree with a dission, that we actually might like, but we dont since we havent heard the reason for it.

So if its not viewable, we need to get a summary which explains why the rule is made.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well of course they'll share their information, that's the point of the BR.

Seeing as how the 64 BR would be pretty small, it shouldn't be that hard to gether all the BRoomers' opinions and give regular updates to the community.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
It's mainly that there is no benefit to having a closed back room, and plenty of downside.

The biggest argument posted so far is that "it won't/didn't work", without going into any more detail.

Battlecow

Play to Win
You are forgetting it's about the better, not about the "can be done"

The Backroom can make a BETTER tier list.

thats obvious...and why wouldn't it be? I mean the information gathered by those who know ssb64 best, thus it'll always be considerably better then data from anyone and everyone with a book to read.
I swear to god you're doing this on purpose.

Why in Jesus Christ's bruised left testicle would a BR "obviously" make a better list? I'm trying to make sense of your post, and you seem to be saying that because a BR will consist of the best and brightest (Which I doubt it will :() and the opinions of the people who know slightly less than that (The A-tier instead of the S-tier, if you will) won't be taken into account, the resulting list will be better.

There are so many problems with this that it's making my head hurt, but I'll try to explain- with ellipses so that you can understand what I'm saying.

obviously... I mean just cuz anyone and everyone with a book to read XDXDXD(??????) can comment, thus it doesnt mean that itll be worse then a BR cuz we can do this thing where... we weigh the XD opinions based on who gave them and who knows what... xD thus This might seem like it presents a problem because... how will we know but... It's clear to me that everyone who knows how this place works knows who knows XDwhat thus we can maintain the high level of information XDgoing into the list without excluding the opinions of everyone who isn't the absolute best.

Of course, our other option is to wait for the BR to give us a list, which will be "Explained" to us after the fact. As ballin says, there's no real reason why we can't see the discussion, but we all have absolute confidence that a group of people probably picked by Surri can come to a better decision than the entirety of the forum working together... right, guys?

RE Thino- Yes, you're right, we shouldn't have a BR. But we're going to. So back to square one.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Over a thousand posts, Lord ballin? nice.

Yeah, they have this odd theory that erroneous or unimportant opinions somehow water down the level of the list.

Of course, I don't think anyone thinks that we need a new list... do they? Maybe some 1-slot switches could be made...

The Star King

Smash Hero
Also the community can make a tier list without a back room. As far as I know, other fighting games do it.
It's not clear at all since all those people that are the best of the best can still post, and we will weight their opinion highly. I don't see much of a difference.
It's like they think that we'll suddenly count the opinions of people that come in here like "OMGZ WHY DID NESS DROP?"
This is the stuff I was saying in the poll thread, and nobody listened :( If you want evidence for these quotes, look at the tier list we made: without a backroom, and it turned out to be pretty ****ing good.

I feel like many people saw "Smash 64 Backroom" and immediately voted yes because they instantly saw it as growth for the community; they didn't bother to consider if we really need a backroom, and if it would actually benefit the community.

@Battlecow I'm on the verge of giving up on Surri, like I gave up on NixxxoN a long time ago. The problem is, he's a mod, so clueless people out there might take him seriously if you don't argue against him.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
things like "omg ness sucks no recovery" do derail threads...

I apparently am ignoring all your arguments...but all you guys are doing is saying someone that has worked in the past, and something we have not tired yet...will fail.

And the only reasons is because we have managed to "not" have one before...so why need one now?

Just like some of the people who voted "yes" did it for growth ...some of the "no"s only came because people dont want to have a BR, and not be in it...

Our BR will be very open with the public, and will produce good info. I doubt I would solely be in charge of the member selection...that job belongs to a panel of people.

Oh, and making fun of how i type, definitely the way to prove you guys are smarter and more mature then I am ...lol :p xD!!!

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I know some people are still in disagreement with a BR, but as of now, we are getting one, whether we all like it or not. So since we are getting one, lets try to drop all of the talk about "why a backroom is stupid and won't work" and actually try to make it work. As I said in my first post about a backroom, I think it will be very beneficial to the 64 community if it is done correctly. Part of it being done correctly is people helping the cause, and not hurting it.

Olikus

Smash Champion
OK. Let it be viewable, or make big summaries. And you mods still havent got any info on how the BR members shall be elected?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I'd guess appropriate 'backroom leaders' will be chosen (by people like JV) for their own merits and then those leaders will presumably pick members based on what they judge is worthy, since we can't expect someone from outside to know this community as well as...well, the community itself. It has to start somewhere, after all.

dandan

Smash Lord
OK. Let it be viewable, or make big summaries. And you mods still havent got any info on how the BR members shall be elected?
as JV said, it is not going to be viewable, but there will be costant summaries and updates, at least that is what i believe should happen.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
There will definitely be updates and summaries for the public...And as far as I am concerned I have not heard anything about the leaders of the BR...if Byoshi or Dmoogle have then let them speak now :p

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
How can I become a part of the back room?....... probably a stupid question......... But I'd really like to either be apart of it....... or be allowed to view it or something..... idk.......could someone tell me the 411 on how to get in? I doubt its like a cult or something right? plz tell me I don't got to drink pigs blood ta get in.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
....sigh.... if I gotta........ lolz.

But seriously, is it just having a leg to stand on in the smash community that gets you elected as a back room member, or is it some kind of processes and submission of a reason to become one...... do you have to be an online player? stuff like that.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
....sigh.... if I gotta........ lolz.

But seriously, is it just having a leg to stand on in the smash community that gets you elected as a back room member, or is it some kind of processes and submission of a reason to become one...... do you have to be an online player? stuff like that.
No one knows the exact criteria yet.

Nothing has been disclosed.

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
What exactly is the problem with letting everyone see the backroom discussion (but only the members can post)?

I mean, i guess it could be that people would make threads to argue backroom discussion on main page, but do we honestly have a big enough community for that to be a problem? and even if so can't the mods deal with it or, better yet, post a strict rule against it?

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
It was tried in the past and did not work. They do not want to try it again. They would rather use something thats been far more successful in the past then some thing thats been known to fail

Battlecow

Play to Win
We're asking why it failed. So far all we've gotten is "It didn't work in the past". For all we know, the issue could be one that only applied to melee/brawl.

Also, I can't wait to see what kind of tune Surri sings when he doesn't get in the BR =p.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I think a Smod should mod the Broom honestly.

Makes it even less bias!

If only one mod gets in it'll be A$. He is definitely on a different page then me and Byoshi in Smash64 (although i do think me and Blue Yoshi would be beneficial to the Broom, chances are we might not make it like battlecow said )

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
inb4 there should be a hammerheart backroom moderated and viewable only by those in hammerheart tier

people so far in hammerheart tier:
hammerheart
saske
star king

Top Bottom