• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Backroom

Mahie

Smash Lord
I think the backroom is a good idea, and the best way to know if it will work it to give it a try.
As for who should be allowed in there, it should be location-wise, and according to the size of the scene from said location (A lot from North America, a few from Europe, a couple from Australia and South America).

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I don't know if we need a backroom.

Ssb64 does deserve it's own section though, which definitely should come before a backroom.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Oh, a smash64 Backroom is being considered? Never thought I'd see the day XD.

I think backroom would be a good idea since I see a lot of dumb posts on serious topics and nothing gets done because of a lack of backroom final decisions.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
why the hell am i being nominated

im not even good at this game lol
Backrooms if I remember correctly are for people who are really good at the game or people who have lots of knowledge about the game.

The reason I nominated you is because you have a nice sum of knowledge about the game and you are an active member.

Dsc

Smash Ace
Screw a backroom. I want smash 64 to have a SECTION.

But if a broom does happen then...
I vote for:
Malva
Boom
The modz
Cheeseball :b
And frogles.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Backrooms if I remember correctly are for people who are really good at the game or people who have lots of knowledge about the game.

The reason I nominated you is because you have a nice sum of knowledge about the game and you are an active member.
I dont understand why backrooms are for people "who are really good" or "the best". I mean, its totally normal that you gotta know a lot about the game, but... just for being very good? Just because they are very good players, it means their opinion is more valid than others that are not as good?

dandan

Smash Lord
being very good at this game generally means you are very knowledgable about it.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I dont understand why backrooms are for people "who are really good" or "the best". I mean, its totally normal that you gotta know a lot about the game, but... just for being very good? Just because they are very good players, it means their opinion is more valid than others that are not as good?
Let's not have our backroom plagued with pure talk and no walk people like the Melee and Brawl ones do.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Yes Nixxxon, it is exactly what it means. Because the better players have more experience / knowledge of the game, their opinion in said matters is based on more tangible facts than that of beginners, that is a fact. However, just being good isn't enough. I guess the person should also be considered a good debater and visit the boards often enough to be eligible.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I get what you are saying and I agree with you, however that is just how the system works :ohwell:. Maybe if you feel it needs to be changed take it up with the administrators.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator

I get what you are saying and I agree with you, however that is just how the system works :ohwell:. Maybe if you feel it needs to be changed take it up with the administrators.
What? You mean you think the other backrooms have purely "very good players"? o_o

Did you even see the list of people in the Melee and Brawl backrooms? Have you never cringed at the random non-tourneygoer who only happens to know a lot of stuff being in the backroom and deciding what good players should do?

NixxxoN

Smash Master
What? You mean you think the other backrooms have purely "very good players"? o_o

Did you even see the list of people in the Melee and Brawl backrooms? Have you never cringed at the random non-tourneygoer who only happens to know a lot of stuff being in the backroom and deciding what good players should do?

The main problem i see is, why would ONLY a few of the better players, decide what ALL players should do (including the not-as-good-but-still-pretty-good players) and such

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
No, if you know a lot about the smash game in question and show it though intelligent posts. That is the other way to get in. Also that is why I think Cheeseball341 should be a SSB64 back roomer, because of his very intelligent posting on the subject of SSB64.

Did you even see the list of people in the Melee and Brawl backrooms?
No, but I would like to see the list.

Have you never cringed at the random non-tourneygoer who only happens to know a lot of stuff being in the backroom and deciding what good players should do?
Huh? I like reading intelligent posts, why would I cringe from reading a good post weather they (the posters) go to tournaments or not?

Silk

Smash Apprentice
Huh? I like reading intelligent posts, why would I cringe from reading a good post weather they (the posters) go to tournaments or not?
I think the point being made is that even a well thought out post is "in theory" (unless, obviously, it's specifically referencing something the poster actually did) while tournament players put different strategies/techniques/whatever into application, as in they actually use them in matches against other good players, rather than posting about things that "might work" or things that they themselves aren't actually able to do

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
for both the brawl and melee backroom, they include both really good smashers and some who are just very active people, and others who just know a whole lottt.

Like Adumibrodeius (sorry for the bad speliing :-() ) is a member of the brawl backroom since he knows way too much about frame data and stage stuff.

Or how Boss is NOT a brawl backroom member as he doesn't appear on smashboards often regardless and that he trolls often even though he is the best Luigi/Mario in brawl.

Not going after specific people, just posting examples.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I think the point being made is that even a well thought out post is "in theory" (unless, obviously, it's specifically referencing something the poster actually did) while tournament players put different strategies/techniques/whatever into application, as in they actually use them in matches against other good players, rather than posting about things that "might work" or things that they themselves aren't actually able to do
Alright, I get what you are saying now. That seems like a fair enough assessment.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah, the backroom is kinda pointless. It's good in melee/brawl because (I assume) they have such a volume of noobs coming in. Our noob-to-relatively-experienced person ratio is, I would guess, quite a bit better than Melee or Brawl's. Also, the number of people in our forum would mean that a backroom, if the same ratio of BR Mem's to non-BR-mem's were kept, would only have a couple of people in it, which is hardly a recipe for a really good discussion.

I could be wrong, of course.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
hypothetical sequence of events

1) lobby mindlessly until the site's staff give in
2) get our own section
3) get influx of noobs
4) get need for backroom
5) get said backroom
6) increase competitive prestige even further
7) get even more people, most of them melee players
8) 64 becomes viable as a serious side-tourney in big tournaments
9) everybody is happy
10) brawlers realise brawl sucks compared to 64
11) brawl kids flood the 64 section
12) 64 becomes as dominant as chilli dogs and waffles combined
13) great success but with large following of noobs

MATTS!

Smash Ace
Backrooms are racist. People that want them, just want the feel of power over the "normal people" and want to preach their opinions as if what they say is CORRECT and always right. It's just like the rich man and the poor man. If you guys are trying to turn this into a "socialized government section," your going to ruin the future of smash 64, and the present community as a whole. Did you see George Bush and Barack Obama over their fighting with our soldiers, nope. They sat in their "Backroom" and laughed an enjoyed their control over the community as a whole. Don't put yourself over anybody, or portray yourself as any higher image of thought. Everybody is equal, and therefore shall be heard by all, negative or positive opinions, or stupidity, etc..

Backroom is the most worst idea EVER for any game and any forum.

I vote for it's OWN SECTION.

The Great MATTS!

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

L1ON

Smash Apprentice
MATTS! subforum ftw. Even though we wouldn't be allowed in we all know it would just be topics of matts discussing how awesome he is.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think the community has expressed its position on the backroom and now we have to let this run its course. Whether or not we get the backroom is up to JV. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves and start deciding what goes in our section because we don't even have one yet lol.

P.S. has anyone pasted the link to this thread on the new york server so that other people can see?

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I actually believe a backroom would be beneficial to the 64 community. There are many cases where something (e.g. Stage legality, specific rules, etc.) is important to discuss... However, when we have everyone discuss it, we go nowhere. Having a backroom to make these decisions would allow more to be done in that sense.

However, general discussion should not be allowed in the backroom. It should remain for only rule discussion or something similar and not turn into a noob-free chatroom. As long as that doesn't happen, I think a backroom could be beneficial.

MattNF

Smash Lord
I don't think we need a backroom. But we do need some changes around here, like our own section on the main page.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
please...if everyone could just stay away from the fact that we need our own section...and focus on the issue at hand, we might actually be able to get both lol...

Just discuss the concept of a backroom, and when more info comes up regarding our own section...then we will talk about that.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
to get people back on track, my final thoughts (version 1 lol)

So long as the backroom has no absolutist bias (ie some non-americans are let in, maybe some online players as opposed to purely console players), the community will be represented properly. I would still put this as a secondary consideration for the good of the game's competitive health (ie really really bad people should not be let in for the sake of fair representation, methinks). The only thing that might divide the community (if a backroom is implemented) is individual ego, which isn't something we can change, and is already something the other two backroom'd games on this site deal with. The pros of the backroom will heavily outweigh the cons, in my humble opinion.
  • Further recognised as a competitive game
  • Clarify minor issues that general discussion will not (see for example the hyrule stage thread)
  • Promote smash 64 (members of the backroom will have that below their username, which should not be underestimated as a promotion tool)
  • Encourage posters to get better, assuming they want in (note: this does not mean a threshold for backroom viability will be established, in fact I would discourage that)
  • Possible division among community
  • Annoyance for forum administrators
  • Creates a hassle for determining who can and can't join
The ultimate goal is to raise smash 64 from being a no-go in the minds of smashers to something that can weigh in with (not surpass or suppress) melee and brawl. For instance, putting it at the level where it is a tournament prefix on smashboards.

Mahie

Smash Lord
You guys need to stop saying we don't need one. We definitely do and its first job is to redefine the tournament rules, that is to say legal stages / tiers list / Time limit rule.

Top Bottom