• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official + Smash 4 [VIC] General Thread - Next events: MILTIM 11 JUN, CWMELEE+PM 18 JUN, CW S4ROA 25 JUN

Mezerian

Smash Cadet
If the Mic's open I'd love to give commentary a shot.
I always gotta stalk [read: talk to] people more, and get the notepad out. I want to get those smash stories out there.

Bijou

Smash Cadet
Would that happen to be the recording setup I played against you in R3? Would like to re-watch that.
Yes. I'm uploading that match to my channel tonight. ; )

Hope all you guys keep trying the commentary. There were times when we had no commentators at all. I encourage everyone to give it a go.

Last edited:

Bijou

Smash Cadet
Would that happen to be the recording setup I played against you in R3? Would like to re-watch that.
The video is now up on my personal channel - Shadow2Bijou.

I would post a link but apparently I need 10 posts before I can do that.

Last edited:

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
The video is now up on my personal channel - Shadow2Bijou.

I would post a link but apparently I need 10 posts before I can do that.
For some reason, youtube has the 60 FPS files, but refuses to let us view it in 60 FPS. I think that has something to do with not uploading the videos using chrome.

Bijou

Smash Cadet
For some reason, youtube has the 60 FPS files, but refuses to let us view it in 60 FPS. I think that has something to do with not uploading the videos using chrome.
It's probably because the video was recorded in 30 FPS. Next tourney I can up it to 60.

Last edited:

Baron Omega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaronOmega
any matches with me in it would be greatly appreciated if they could be sent to me so I can analyse anything I did wrong in some matches so I know what to do for next time :4yoshi::4yoshi::4yoshi::4yoshi::4yoshi::4yoshi::4yoshi::4yoshi::4yoshi::4yoshi::4yoshi::4yoshi::4yoshi::4yoshi::4yoshi:

Last edited:

joeyjoeyjoejoe

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, take it easy on Bijou. Requests are fine but please realise he is donating his time - he is not obliged to do anything.

//

Good news, NG+ has agreed to stream Smash WiiU next monthly again. I will sure up the time and let you guys know. I am working on getting Melee/PM streamed on MelbourneMelee. We'll see.

Just not with me Dean...never again. <3

Baron Omega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaronOmega
do you reckon it would be a good idea for next time to have the commentary at a bit of a distance from the matches that are being recorded cause I did notice that the commentating was very close and uno with that happening it could possibly put people off their game with someone commentating just a meter away from them. but if it cant be help then yeah well it cant be helped :ohwell::4yoshi:

Splice

Smash Hero
solution is to not get put off your game by chatter. there's always gonna be somebody talking near you at a tournament you'd best get used to it since it's the most apparent when you get further in bracket.

Bijou

Smash Cadet
I'm not really sure how to set it up so that the commentators are a distance away. With the setup I use the microphone audio needs to be recorded in real time which means the commentators need a view of the screen the match is being played on.

I might be able to set up a mic delay but the chances of desync occurring will likely increase if that happens. Also my cables are only so long.

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
solution is to not get put off your game by chatter. there's always gonna be somebody talking near you at a tournament you'd best get used to it since it's the most apparent when you get further in bracket.
I completely disagree.
Crowd noise is one thing you should be able to handle, but commentators providing insights into the match itself or questioning your options etc etc can be VERY off putting, not to mention it can give insight to the players themselves kind of like inadvertant coaching.
I am a HUGE advocate for having the commentators far enough away that the players aren't able to hear them.

joeyjoeyjoejoe

Smash Apprentice
CW are looking into headsets over speakers for WiiU set ups.

What would people prefer? Perhaps headsets specifically for the recording set up would be ideal. Dom's cables seem to be long enough as to not annoy the players too much but headsets might be ideal for WiiU for now.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
Crowd noise can also be saying things about the game, the content of what is said is not exclusive to commentary.
There can be insight, inadvertent coaching and questioning of options from the crowd and often is, there is nothing limiting this kind of talk to commentary. I've played with commentary audible to me several times but in my experience crowd chatter has involved more dumb **** being said about me and the game than commentary.
I don't see how you can completely disagree, I just assume you're not acknowledging that the crowd can say things other than "So Smart"

Tempest

Smash Cadet
At the end of the day you can't make everyone happy, and some people do like their games being commentated in front of them. You have to come up with your own solutions like playing with music/playing with ear plugs (whatever keeps you from being distracted), and not blame external sources for your bad performance.

I play with earphones plugged into my ipod with music playing full blast, as that really takes away the distraction of commentators and the crowd.

The way I look at it is there is no ideal solution for keeping background distractions from occurring. For example last monthly there was a big crowd behind street fighter 4 and they did cheer really loud, but there was nothing that could be done and they had every right to be as loud as they wanted. What are you going to do? Ask to be put in an isolated room with just yourself and your opponent? It's just something that you have to soldier on with.

Last edited:

Bijou

Smash Cadet
Keep in mind I'm providing all the recording equipment for smash 4 by myself. If people see it as a problem that the commentators were too close with my setup then;

A) give me suggestions/ ideas on solutions to fix the issue - keeping in mind it's completely at my own expense

B) if a player feels distracted by commentary there are 10 other setups that do not have recording enabled. As far as I see it, it's the players responsibility to request to play without it

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
Crowd noise can also be saying things about the game, the content of what is said is not exclusive to commentary.
There can be insight, inadvertent coaching and questioning of options from the crowd and often is, there is nothing limiting this kind of talk to commentary. I've played with commentary audible to me several times but in my experience crowd chatter has involved more dumb **** being said about me and the game than commentary.
I don't see how you can completely disagree, I just assume you're not acknowledging that the crowd can say things other than "So Smart"
No I'm saying the crowd will be loud, raucous and exactly what a crowd should be.
I can't see a chant starting up for "you just spotdodged three times in the same situation you probably shouldn't do that again because you'll get punished" , although a commentator might give that kind of insight.
They're two completely different beasts.
Take sports for example, every sporting team in the world at high level deals with crowd noise and heckling. The commentary, however, is a hundred metres away behind a glass panel inauduble to the players.
They're two facets that should NEVER interact. Getting heckled and yelled out does much less to take me out of the game than a commentator getting a fact wrong about player history, or where someone comes from - though this sort of small detail is not really my argument.
Fact is that if commentators do a decent job, what they're saying has a far greater ability to impact on players not only as distraction but as potentially unfair advantage as well.

At the end of the day you can't make everyone happy, and some people do like their games being commentated in front of them. You have to come up with your own solutions like playing with music/playing with ear plugs (whatever keeps you from being distracted), and not blame external sources for your bad performance.

I play with earphones plugged into my ipod with music playing full blast, as that really takes away the distraction of commentators and the crowd.

The way I look at it is there is no ideal solution for keeping background distractions from occurring. For example last monthly there was a big crowd behind street fighter 4 and they did cheer really loud, but there was nothing that could be done and they had every right to be as loud as they wanted. What are you going to do? Ask to be put in an isolated room with just yourself and your opponent? It's just something that you have to soldier on with.
Playing music is fine, and works for some people, however there are numerous audio cues in the game that are actually very important as well. You shouldn't have to be forced to wear headphones to drown out commentary, something which should not be audible to you in the first place.

The crowd is not the issue. Crowds are good. Players must learn to block out crowd noise. This is a separate issue entirely.

Splice

Smash Hero
SD you basically ignored what I said and played off my experience as something that has not happened, which is pretty dog.
I have had the crowd talk about things that I'm doing "aww why do you keep Usmashing Splice?", talk about history and get it completely wrong and comment on the way moves work incorrectly several times from the crowd. This kind of talk exists in the crowd. Telling me that it only comes from commentary is a blatant lie.
The sports example also makes no sense, in football they commentator booth isn't placed away from the field because it'll put players off, it's so the audience and sound doesn't interfere with what's coming on the mic and also coz you know, having the audience booth on the football field is dumb. Not to mention the view. The placement of the booth considers a dozen other things before "oh what they say might hurt the players"
I don't even disagree with you because it would be nice to have commentators away from players but due to Bijou's setup as he said this isn't always possible so you should be prepared to deal with it. I only initially meant to suggest you might as well develop the ability to focus better on the game anyway because of circumstances being unfavourable sometimes.
But the points you're bringing up here are total ****, people from the crowd can say things just as disruptive as what a commentator might mention and that's just a fact. However I have experienced that people would actually be bold to say such things too.
There's nothing stopping people from the crowd mentioning things to players either; stop double jumping into knee etc. This doesn't come under the "no coaching" clause because that is only for in-ear-whispers. The crowd is totally able to give advice to players, you can't exactly monitor what people say when they're hyped.

Honestly be able to zone on the game 100% is a skill that's worth having and if you want to be able to deal with the most situations you might as well get used to it.

Last edited:

Baron Omega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaronOmega
Keep in mind I'm providing all the recording equipment for smash 4 by myself. If people see it as a problem that the commentators were too close with my setup then;

A) give me suggestions/ ideas on solutions to fix the issue - keeping in mind it's completely at my own expense

B) if a player feels distracted by commentary there are 10 other setups that do not have recording enabled. As far as I see it, it's the players responsibility to request to play without it

I get that there was many setups n **** I was just mentioning that for next time it could be looked at for future reference not as a way to have a go at anyone because the way I see it imo I wasnt too distracted by it, but I was just thinking about others that might be in that sense. I also just thought of something would there be a possible way to have headphones plugged into the monitors for sound so the players can use that? cause I have seen it being used before and thought it might be a good idea for those who need the sound n **** and not have to deal with commentators if they are at close proximity. just a thought really I thought I might just ask

Last edited:

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
All I request is for Joey to be far away from any game I'm playing. His very presence is a counter against me.

Headphones plugged into monitors? There's enough bs with cords to deal with without adding a heap more.

Bijou

Smash Cadet
I don't think this is as big of a deal as it's being made out. If anyone has solutions on how to improve my setup I'm happy to discuss them.

The finals that were streamed on NG+ had the commentators far enough away that they couldn't be heard by the players. Does anyone have any clue as to the setup used there? I might be able to do something similar with my own equipment depending on how it was done.

S.D

Smash Master
SD you basically ignored what I said and played off my experience as something that has not happened, which is pretty dog.
I have had the crowd talk about things that I'm doing "aww why do you keep Usmashing Splice?", talk about history and get it completely wrong and comment on the way moves work incorrectly several times from the crowd. This kind of talk exists in the crowd. Telling me that it only comes from commentary is a blatant lie.
The sports example also makes no sense, in football they commentator booth isn't placed away from the field because it'll put players off, it's so the audience and sound doesn't interfere with what's coming on the mic and also coz you know, having the audience booth on the football field is dumb. Not to mention the view. The placement of the booth considers a dozen other things before "oh what they say might hurt the players"
I don't even disagree with you because it would be nice to have commentators away from players but due to Bijou's setup as he said this isn't always possible so you should be prepared to deal with it. I only initially meant to suggest you might as well develop the ability to focus better on the game anyway because of circumstances being unfavourable sometimes.
But the points you're bringing up here are total ****, people from the crowd can say things just as disruptive as what a commentator might mention and that's just a fact. However I have experienced that people would actually be bold to say such things too.
There's nothing stopping people from the crowd mentioning things to players either; stop double jumping into knee etc. This doesn't come under the "no coaching" clause because that is only for in-ear-whispers. The crowd is totally able to give advice to players, you can't exactly monitor what people say when they're hyped.

Honestly be able to zone on the game 100% is a skill that's worth having and if you want to be able to deal with the most situations you might as well get used to it.
yooo relax holmes, i'm not attacking you.
Alls I'm saying is one thing is controllable, the other is not.
If you have the ability to remove commentary noise from the players, logically you would do it and it should be done wherever possible.

Splice

Smash Hero
If that's all you want to say then quoting my whole post and saying "I completely disagree" was probably a bad choice
You obviously acknowledge that being able to focus better on the game as an individual is beneficial

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
You shouldn't be able to hear commentators while playing, end story.

Crowd chant's aren't comparable to actual game analysis or a proper discussion of game flow, so being able to hear the crowd while playing is fine but being able to hear commentators while playing is bad.

S.D

Smash Master
If that's all you want to say then quoting my whole post and saying "I completely disagree" was probably a bad choice
You obviously acknowledge that being able to focus better on the game as an individual is beneficial
that comment was only in reference to being able to deal with commentary noise, which you shouldn't have to.
Sorry for the confusion

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I find narrative/fluid speech the most distracting.

Even if the crowd is shouting advice/criticism, it's broken up and unfocussed. This makes it much easier to black out or ignore.

But commentary is continuous... It takes a lot more effort to block it out. It's almost as bad as someone sitting behind you talking about their weekend.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I'm looking at it from another point of view here, blocking out stuff ect easy whatever just put music on or grow to deal with it or such there's heaps of tools at your disposal there.

As for listening to people commentate while you play, and then hearing them go "dekar keeps doing ledge hop nairs from the edge into dash dance but redact hasn't picked that up yet" or "s.d has just been fishing for the up airs, atticus needs to stop playing the platforms" something like that where you don't pick it up yourself, but then suddenly a clear concise analysis lets you change your gameplan is really bad.

The most you're gonna get from a crowd is "stop lazering" or "just hit him ****" compared to anything anywhere near as clear or useful as commentary.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Also works the other way around.

When I commentate and I know the players can hear me, I tend to avoid analysing the game because of the possible effect it might have, and I think this takes away from a lot of the depth and fluidity.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Yep I agree with Jamie, I think it is unfair for the commentators that the combatants are affected by what they say. I think there needs to be enough distance between the commentators and the players, but for the commentators sake.

Let's support the commentators right to say whatever they want!

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Yeah unfortunately people just need to learn to block out surrounding noise and just focus on the game. Personally I dont think I even noticed the commentators talking, but I will admit having someone directly behind you talking about the match can be a little bit offputting. But yeah, you cant really control a crowd.

Anyway, I might do cupcakes for the monthly. I used to do it a while ago and they're fun to make :p

Also have some new pokemon stickers if people still need for a controller! ;O

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
Yeah unfortunately people just need to learn to block out surrounding noise and just focus on the game. Personally I dont think I even noticed the commentators talking, but I will admit having someone directly behind you talking about the match can be a little bit offputting. But yeah, you cant really control a crowd.

Anyway, I might do cupcakes for the monthly. I used to do it a while ago and they're fun to make :p

Also have some new pokemon stickers if people still need for a controller! ;O
sell the cupcakes, make mad dorra, and then introduce crack into them and then jack the price up by 300. You're welcome

btw hitmonchan preaseeeeee

Top Bottom