• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Final Video Presentation Recap

What was your favorite part of the direct?

• Cloud and Midgar Stage Information

Votes: 95 12.9%
  • New Mii Costumes

Votes: 32 4.4%
  • Corrin Chooses To Smash

Votes: 184 25.0%
  • Bayonetta Gets Wicked! And New Umbra Clock Tower Stage

Votes: 424 57.7%

• Total voters
As Sakurai set to close the curtains on Smash 4, our excitements could not be contained. Whistles blew on hype trains across the world as Smash fans settled in for what was to be the final video presentation for Smash 4. We got many amazing announcement that are sure to entice. For those who have yet to watch the direct this is the final warning before we get to spoilers, so turn around now or learn what Smash 4 still has in store!

---​

Corrin, the main character from from Fire Emblem: Fates is coming to Smash! Corrin will have a male and female version of the character similar to Robin or Wii Fit Trainer. As "dragon blood runs through his veins" some of his moves will involve partial transformation. If Corrin is purchased for the Wii U version, two free songs will be included on the the Fire Emblem stages in the games from Fire Emblem Fates. Two special trophies for Fire Emblem Fates have also been added to Smash 3DS. Corrin has a hopeful release in February 2016 and is expected to cost $4.99 for the character.

Corrin Chooses To Smash!

Many details on Cloud's gameplay were explained during the presentation including the mechanics of his Limit Gauge as well as how the new stage Midgar would use 'summons' like Ifrit, Ramuh, Odin, and more! Cloud and his new stage Midgar will be coming to Smash 4 for download later today! They can be bought as a bundle for $5.99.

New Mii Costumes!

While many expected the Chocobo Mi hat after the Cloud's announcement, another character with strong ties to Square Enix and Nintendo also made his way into Smash as a costume: Super Mario RPG's Geno! This wasn't the end either as many more costumes were announced such as:
  • Knuckles (Sonic) - Mii Brawler Costume
  • Tails (Sonic) - Mii Gunner Costume
  • Bionic - Brawler
  • Ashley (Wario Ware Inc. Mega Microgame$)- Swordfighter
  • Gil - (The Tower Of Druaga) Swordfighter
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) - Swordfighter

Bayonetta comes to Smash! She was the winner of the Smash Ballot in Europe, within the top 5 in America, and was the most "realizable fighter" within the ballot. Umbra Clock Tower will be coming as Bayonetta's stage with it's own unique music as well as special trophies form the game. February 2016 is also the targeted release date for Bayonetta. All characters announced today will also have amiibos made for them as well.

Bayonetta Gets Wicked!

The full presentation with more details can be viewed here. Feel the hype Smash fans? Is that pure energy unable to be contained? Jump into the comments section below and tell us what was the best part of this direct and as always stay tuned to Smashboards for the finest in Smash news coverage

Last edited:

Comments

By "future Smash games" you mean fifth or sixth smash game, right?
What else could I mean? Who knows if Sakurai will return to direct them but they will continue as they are a staple franchise. Corrine's inclusion was a matter of time.

Those who dislike Corrine can maybe take comfort that due to his DLC status, he may not be included in the next Smash game. Of course, you have to weather 5-10 years of waiting.

Another Fire Emblem character? Chrom will never get a chance to fight. I also want Wolf, but too bad it's not enough votes from it. I am looking forward to Corrin because he is interesting.

LOL at all the EXTREME amounts of :salt::salt::salt: over Corrin's inclusion. I for one am pretty damn excited for all the fresh content we're getting. I agree that Fire Emblem was a bit over-saturated in SSB4 and I ideally would liked to have seen another newcomer or returning veteran (Wolf :crying:) make it in but I can't in my right mind be disappointed in this game's final roster, everything after Mewtwo for me was just icing on the cake. Also, anyone calling Corrin a "generic anime-swordsman" is a complete ****ing idiot, Did you see the same trailer I saw? Out of all the things Corrin is, "generic" does not seem to be one of them. Bayonetta coming out of nowhere was the showstopper though nothing could top that. Anyone doubting Bayonetta's popularity in the ballot is also a complete ****ing idiot. Why would Sakurai have any reason at all to lie about the results of the ballot? Well, at least I'm happy with all the news.

To everyone else, lay off the :salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt:
Nice job calling me and a lot of other people here "****ing idiots". Not sure if this actually applies to me since I never said he was "generic", but the over saturation of anime-swordsmen characters is very clear and FE characters alone make up a large chunk of these characters. To me Corrin looks like an interesting character in both Smash and FE Fates, but I would still much rather have a different character from a different series.

Okay; these are my highly preliminary comments; hope I have to time to make a more elaborate post later..:

Cloud: AIIIEEEEEE; amazing implementation!

Corrin: The moveset looks fantastic (CHAINSAW-SWORD-wielding human with draconic abilities and water attacks); say what you will about "muh generic anime swordsman with Counter".. :laugh: At least Corrin's counterattack was made distinctive in some ways (like counterattacking at both sides of the user).. However, another Fire Emblem character? Seriously? As cool as the game seems, ??????. I would have no qualms at all if Corrin was reserved for Super Smash Bros. 5, but this seems too early for him/her..I barely tolerated Lucina amidst the "Fire Emblem is over-represented" claims, but Corrin's inclusion just takes it way too far (never mind the minimal amount of time it takes to create clones such as Roy and Lucina, with Roy at least being diversified a little). Chiefly concerning Fire Emblem, I would've like a different weapon aside from a sword, but Corrin's moveset at least justifies the use. As a series, I know that fighters like Roy, Robin, Greninja made it in on a mix of the "barely-known/game hasn't even been released yet/starred in 1 game only so far/advertisement purposes" factors, but Corrin has barely proven himself as an all-star (even though I was kind of hoping for his inclusion to parallel Robin's). And all of this Fire Emblem representation when, as a Redditor mentioned, Golden Sun, a first-party franchise that has surpassed sales of 1 million items, has nothing [aside from 2 songs] in Super Smash Bros. 4 - no Assist Trophy, no stage, and even a Mii costume is lacking... Then there's Donkey Kong who only has 2 playable characters and primarily lacks King K. Rool, who (at least in my opinion) is quite deserving of development time that can enable him to join the roster.. Definitely unexpected, after all the cries of "too much Fire Emblem", I didn't think Masahiro Sakurai's development team would go on to exceed that..!

Bayonetta: Wow...she is like the poster child for "gun-toting" and "bootylicious" (rivaling Samus herself) combined in one package, with Nintendo just being like "Screw the ESRB rating..").. XD Due to Bayonetta's "clothes go away" mechanic, I figured that Bayonetta had less of a chance compared to the inclusion of Solid Snake and his weaponry... I'm not sure what to say; no words... Her as the final downloadable-content character just doesn't sit well with me, especially since the likes of King K. Rool, Ridley, and Isaac would fit the roster as well and arguably should have been on the roster already. But then again, if they're reserved for Super Smash Bros. 5, more time can be dedicated towards refining their movesets. Well, at least Bayonetta's attacks look flashy/pretty; essentially, I think "Mature-rated" games aren't an obstacle to inclusion anymore if Bayonetta of all people can get in (now Adult-Only games are on the horizon.. XD). Her series' concept kind of seems like dark fare for Nintendo..

Overall, if we had gotten 1 or 2 more DLC characters in addition to Corrin and Bayonetta, the presentation wouldn't have seemed so lackluster/underwhelming.. But the excess of Fire Emblem isn't helping matters in Corrin's case, although at least his playstyle seems innovative..

More comments to come later!

I am personally amazed by the work put into both characters, even if it's at the cost of massive salt.

Though the salt was inevitable anyway.
salt is inevitable whethersakurai decided to do ANY dlc or not. personally, i'm happy with the direct. all i wanted was a first party newcomer, and we got corrin. bayonetta looks amazing too. can't wait for february.

Last edited:
Nice job calling me and a lot of other people here "****ing idiots". Not sure if this actually applies to me since I never said he was "generic", but the over saturation of anime-swordsmen characters is very clear and FE characters alone make up a large chunk of these characters. To me Corrin looks like an interesting character in both Smash and FE Fates, but I would still much rather have a different character from a different series.
lol relax bro, did I tag your username? Don't take it so personally. I would have rathered another newcomer or returning vet as well. You can dislike Corrin all you want that's all subjective opinion all I'm saying is you can't call him/her generic.

Last edited:
To all those complaining about not getting K. Rool, Wolf, Snake, Shantae, whatever: Sakurai has created a fantastic game. Get over yourself and appreciate all the work he and his team to make Smash 4.
AMEN.
Seriously, the amount of people complaining about Corrin.

lol relax bro, did I tag your username?
Eh, I knew you were not directly talking about me, but I did feel that what you said did apply to me since in my post I specifically called Corrin an "anime sword-wielding character".

AMEN.
Seriously, the amount of people complaining about Corrin.
I hate when people act like they are entitled, but I also hate it when people say that others shouldn't complain about anything.

Last edited:
WOW.

What a direct THAT WAS. Tons of reveals, news, announcements, broken dreams, high hopes, costumes, characters, stages and overall an alright presentation all things considered. IMO, the two new adds to the series are ok but not overly my favorites.

It was alright. A little dissapointed for no K. Rool, or Wolf, but yeah.

Corrin being HALF-DRAGON makes him/her fine with me. I LIKE HIM/HER more than Robin, Lucina and Chrom if that's worth something.

Cloud is looking great as always. Very nice to look at and much so to play when I buy him on the Eshop (afyer the STRIFE to get him, hehe...)

And the last but not least, the lady, the witch, the raven-haired sensual woman, BAYONETTA. OH BOY. She looked AMAZING for what it was. Her moves, her attitude, attacks and posing makes me think of her of a ZSS on steroids. She's surely going to be a threat to be reckoned with indeed.

It was alright, but not excellent.

Like everyone else should do for now, LET'S WAIT FOR 5MASH NX, shall we...?

:bowser:

Kind of curious how they'll handle Fire Emblem in the next game. Marth, Roy, and Ike obviously have staying power but what about the new three?

I hate comments like this. Yes, I am incredibly salty atm. Yes, Sakurai and his team did a monumental amount of work on this game, but no, I do not have to appreciate it if I don't like it. It's just my personal opinion. Mind you I haven't watched all of the Direct (incase there's something else in there), but that's just from viewing the bullet points.

So everyone should just force themselves to like it if they don't?
There's actually a difference between liking and appreciating. You actually are appreciating this by acknowledging that he did a lot of work, put lots of effort into the game and tried to please people. You don't have to like it, just appreciate it. Like I personally didn't like Corrin at first and would've preferred Rayman, (Then I saw the dragon, still want my Rayman), so I understand the salt, and those characters (K. Rool, Wolf, etc.) would've been fother-mucking awesome! And even if I hated ALL of the characters, which I don't, I would probably still appreciate it.

Last edited:
Like everyone else should do for now, LET'S WAIT FOR 5MASH NX, shall we...?
Dear lord, how about we enjoy the Smash 4 content we already have now, rofl. I groan just thinking about another Smash game, and I'm sure the developers feel that exact same way as they wrap up the last of the DLC.

To all those complaining about not getting K. Rool, Wolf, Snake, Shantae, whatever: Sakurai has created a fantastic game. Get over yourself and appreciate all the work he and his team to make Smash 4.
I know right? People should be happy Sakurai-san made DLC a thing, in the first place, so why don't all you haters shut up for once and be glad for the game expanding its content for all you people...

I can't figure out if Sakurai is a genius or a total buffoon.
He's a man who pours his blood, sweat and tears (with a hint of salt) into his work who makes mistakes sometimes, but makes up for it by wearing glasses, and making Kirby look like Hideo Kojima, who by the way left Konami, Hooray!!!!

Why? He did a great job with this game. Besides, literally no game director on earth can perfectly manage the expectations of a fanbase that thinks compromises like giving characters his team can make into proper characters is "trolling". Another director would actually most likely not have the same industry contacts and power and would just cut costs even more. So, you can't expect the roster would actually be better with another director, and honestly, with the balancing patches, this smash is shaping up to be arguably the most balanced.
To be fair, not everyone is as enthusiastic about the game as its fanbase. A lot of people simply don't care about the roster, and I think most people can attest that the more they play the game, the more they drift away from the character from the series they like and towards the character they just enjoy playing/win more with. Not to mention that anyone working under Nintendo would have access to pretty much the same roster give or take a character or two. Also, lets be honest here, there are just too many FE characters relative to the rest of the Sm4sh cast.

I honestly doubt that Sakurai has much of an input on the balance patches, and in terms of balancing, the general consensus is that a small, underfunded group managed to one-up every game in the series in terms of balance with PM. Sakurai is also known to pretty against the competitive scene, and it really shows in the form of tripping in Brawl and Rage in Sm4sh. The lack of single player content is also pretty upsetting, with Adventure being arguably replaced with the atrocity that was Smash Tour. I for one am very curious to see what the series would be like without Sakurai.

Eh, I knew you were not directly talking about me, but I did feel that what you said did apply to me since in my post I specifically called Corrin an "anime sword-wielding character".

I hate when people act like they are entitled, but I also hate it when people say that others shouldn't complain about anything.
Sorry, I was still kinda hyped up about bayonetta,and that ending message kinda got to me. see my other posts in this and you should see what I mean.

Where's the "none" button for the poll? Can't handle a little negativity? Sakurai's done great work, but no amount of shaming, circle-jerking, or patting yourselves on the back telling each other what good sports you've all been while everyone else is just "salty" will convince me that these were the "winners" or correct choices. Sakurai did what he wanted, lied to us about giving us fan-service, and now after waiting since April most of us, despite our efforts, get nothing. Yea, he did a great job on the characters and yeah, he worked his ass off to get them to us, but if you believe the Ballot was anything more than a marketing stunt, you need to wake up.

Kind of curious how they'll handle Fire Emblem in the next game. Marth, Roy, and Ike obviously have staying power but what about the new three?
I hope robin stays, lucina become an alt, and corrin isn't released so I'm not sure, but I dont want any new additions, unless they replace Corrin (If he's meh or worse) with another character (I want Lyn or Hector so bad).

would anyone be surprised if he just came out of the blue with Wolf, K. Rool, Shantae (Rayman? Plz???) sometime next year. Afterall this is Sakurai, who said no DLC when working on smash 4 whatsoever, and now look.

obviously Cloud is the best news from this direct for me. I'm still so hyped for him being included in Smash. I really don't care that his up+b is pretty bad, I will still main him. This is actually a blessing as it may mean a not so saturated For Glory mode with Cloud.

MFW Isaac gets de-confirmed for Smash

And thanks to Sakurai stating that Bayonetta is the last DLC character, he can NEVER GET IN.

Oh yeah, and two more Counter users and ANOTHER sword user. YAY.

would anyone be surprised if he just came out of the blue with Wolf, K. Rool, Shantae (Rayman? Plz???) sometime next year. Afterall this is Sakurai, who said no DLC when working on smash 4 whatsoever, and now look.
I know he said this is the final presentation, so I don't expect another announcement from Smash. If they announce another one, I would definitely be surprised.

Fact of the matter is nobody will fully be pleased no matter who you throw into the fray.

If today the announced last DLC characters were Wolf, King K Rool, and, say, Ivysaur, I guarantee you the same salt-infested comments would remain mostly the same. "Nobody asked for that semi-clone Wolf, what a waste of space. King K Rool hasn't been relevant for years, and too many Pokemon reps. Worst direct ever."

Pleasing everybody isn't hard folks.

It's impossible.

I was more than happy with this. What makes me the most happy is that MY BALLOT PICK WON!! :D :D :D

Just a tad bummed there is NO Splatoon representation besides the mii costumes. was hoping for an Inkopolis stage haha.

Also was never on board the K. Rool train ever and I absolutely DESPISED Wolf in Brawl so I'm okay with that too xD

If there was ANYONE to bring back it was OBVIOUSLY Pichu ;)

So excited for February.

P.S. Cloud is Fantastic

Fact of the matter is nobody will fully be pleased no matter who you throw into the fray.

If today the announced last DLC characters were Wolf, King K Rool, and, say, Ivysaur, I guarantee you the same salt-infested comments would remain mostly the same. "Nobody asked for that semi-clone Wolf, what a waste of space. King K Rool hasn't been relevant for years, and too many Pokemon reps. Worst direct ever."

Pleasing everybody isn't hard folks.

It's impossible.
Well it's technically their decision, they don't care if others oppose to it.

Im mixed about the whole direct personally. Being right about the cloud stuff [mostly] is personally pretty awesome. [I had guessed the materia was a grabed thing but all the others said 'nope thats just timing with pose' HA to ya all XD I CALLLED IT!!!] Though im also willing to admit being half right when it comes to the limit break. I guessed it would flll up based on damage taken, but like someone else said it was charble to so thats cool. there are no words for how happy I am that midgar as a whole will be on the 3ds. [I honestly figured the summons would be like the boss characters and Wii U only. glad to be wrong xD]
Corrin: I am half an half on this guy. He looks awesome, hes one of those Beast guys and he happens to turn into a dragon. Dragons are awesome and he looks awesome. At the same time though im here thinking.. 'I get that hes doing the same thing he did with Roy, Ike, and the others in using them to promote current or upcomming games.. but as much as I LOVE swordsmen and the FE characters, im kinda bummed they take up so much of the roster.
Bayonetta: Well theres our second Sega rep.. thats cool. Congrats to her for winning the UK and world wide pool. [BtW can some one PM me who the other region winners were? Im just curiouse what the top 5 for each known region was.] She looks like alot of fun, but not like the sorta character I expected to see.

I guess my biggest dissapointment is that there is still no notice for alot of Long running game series like Castlevania, and I also feel really bad for the Geno, K'rool, and the other newcomer and veteren fans. While im glad that the DLC wasn't full of Characters we have already played before, I do feel sorry for the fans of those games and characters. Most of what I could think of after I calmed down from how awesome everything looked, was the realization of just how upset people were gonna be.
"Hey look two MORE sword fighters."
"Hey look MORE people that know Counter."
"Hey look another Fire emblem rep."
Im also really bummed we wont get more game play options for the great special mode the 3ds version has.. ya know.. smash run. But I get that it would be all kinds of work and lots of data so im cool there. [or so I tell myself often enough that I can FAKE it but.. ignore that K?]

I guess the biggest question in my mind right now is still the same old one I have had since Melee [the first smash game I played] Where is Castelvania? Just give me a reason that works... its not adult content ya put in snake and Now bayonetta, its not religion ya got Angels and GODS in your cast, just tell me something as to why. For a series to be so popular and to have been there at the start and still going [kinda sorta] why is it just left in the dust. Sorry for the mini rant here everyone... All in all I look forward to all of the characters on the way and am gonna have alot of fun playing them all. Im just... kinda down about a few things... ya know? [More feeling of them showing how awesome the WII U version is over the obviously lesser 3ds version... yay. Look we CAN do music DLC for stages, are we gonna for you? nope, cause YOUR the little hand held.]

Corrin's the new Dark Pit who was the new ROB who was the new Pichu. The similarity of the complaints at the end of these development cycles is downright surreal.

It's very sad to see the end of development, though the work put into this game has been immense, and although I wish they'd concentrated on Nintendo IP's for new characters, the work and detail put into everything is awesome. Thanks Sakurai <3

I hope they're stopping in order to make an early start on Smash 5 for the NX! :D

Had to get a triple take that one of the last dlc chars they decided on was ANOTHER fe character lolwut.

I can't say im looking forward to bayonetta in the slightest but i'd still rather her over rool, wolf, snake, and some of the other popular choices that seemed to be going around.

Impressive Nintendo you actually listened as to leave the remaining Brawl cast alone. Good great, now, focus on maintaining Smash-4 to continue to be desired by others. Maybe I miss judged the company too far hopefully 2004 Nintendo establishment will come back soon. Thanks.

Corrin's the new Dark Pit who was the new ROB who was the new Pichu. The similarity of the complaints at the end of these development cycles is downright surreal.
"I'm an entitled consumer who demands 100% satisfaction due to being a loyal fan and anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot who is blinded by fanboyism!!!!"

...is the general consensus of how a lot of gamers react torwards the gaming industry as a whole.

Yeah! Who else voted for Corrin!? No matter, I'm eager to see if I would pocket Olimar/Alph and Mii Sword Fighter to main him/her.

Top Bottom