• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Final Video Presentation Recap

What was your favorite part of the direct?

• Cloud and Midgar Stage Information

Votes: 95 12.9%
  • New Mii Costumes

Votes: 32 4.4%
  • Corrin Chooses To Smash

Votes: 184 25.0%
  • Bayonetta Gets Wicked! And New Umbra Clock Tower Stage

Votes: 424 57.7%

• Total voters
As Sakurai set to close the curtains on Smash 4, our excitements could not be contained. Whistles blew on hype trains across the world as Smash fans settled in for what was to be the final video presentation for Smash 4. We got many amazing announcement that are sure to entice. For those who have yet to watch the direct this is the final warning before we get to spoilers, so turn around now or learn what Smash 4 still has in store!

---​

Corrin, the main character from from Fire Emblem: Fates is coming to Smash! Corrin will have a male and female version of the character similar to Robin or Wii Fit Trainer. As "dragon blood runs through his veins" some of his moves will involve partial transformation. If Corrin is purchased for the Wii U version, two free songs will be included on the the Fire Emblem stages in the games from Fire Emblem Fates. Two special trophies for Fire Emblem Fates have also been added to Smash 3DS. Corrin has a hopeful release in February 2016 and is expected to cost $4.99 for the character.

Corrin Chooses To Smash!

Many details on Cloud's gameplay were explained during the presentation including the mechanics of his Limit Gauge as well as how the new stage Midgar would use 'summons' like Ifrit, Ramuh, Odin, and more! Cloud and his new stage Midgar will be coming to Smash 4 for download later today! They can be bought as a bundle for $5.99.

New Mii Costumes!

While many expected the Chocobo Mi hat after the Cloud's announcement, another character with strong ties to Square Enix and Nintendo also made his way into Smash as a costume: Super Mario RPG's Geno! This wasn't the end either as many more costumes were announced such as:
  • Knuckles (Sonic) - Mii Brawler Costume
  • Tails (Sonic) - Mii Gunner Costume
  • Bionic - Brawler
  • Ashley (Wario Ware Inc. Mega Microgame$)- Swordfighter
  • Gil - (The Tower Of Druaga) Swordfighter
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) - Swordfighter

Bayonetta comes to Smash! She was the winner of the Smash Ballot in Europe, within the top 5 in America, and was the most "realizable fighter" within the ballot. Umbra Clock Tower will be coming as Bayonetta's stage with it's own unique music as well as special trophies form the game. February 2016 is also the targeted release date for Bayonetta. All characters announced today will also have amiibos made for them as well.

Bayonetta Gets Wicked!

The full presentation with more details can be viewed here. Feel the hype Smash fans? Is that pure energy unable to be contained? Jump into the comments section below and tell us what was the best part of this direct and as always stay tuned to Smashboards for the finest in Smash news coverage

Last edited:

Comments

Hate to say it but when Sakurai was mentioning "negotiable characters" that was probably strongly implying that some got flat out turned down. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened with Snake and Banjo, given how both companies have acted this year.

Corrin's a cool addition because it's pretty much a lance using dragon knight. I don't get how people can call this generic. It's probably just the salt talking but I imagine it'll end up becoming one of the better liked newcomers in the end.

So long as daddy Sakurai is gone.
Why? He did a great job with this game. Besides, literally no game director on earth can perfectly manage the expectations of a fanbase that thinks compromises like giving characters his team can make into proper characters is "trolling". Another director would actually most likely not have the same industry contacts and power and would just cut costs even more. So, you can't expect the roster would actually be better with another director, and honestly, with the balancing patches, this smash is shaping up to be arguably the most balanced.

There is no way that will be tourney legal, kid
You think a stage that appears to, from that trailer, have no side walls and no stage hazards and has the platform movement of the single most popular neutral stage choice doesn't have ANY chance of being tourney legal. You must be new here.

At least K. Rool got a Mii costume #BackInTheCage #HowlAtTheMoon #NoWolf #TheseHashtagsMeanNothing #IWishWolfWereInAlso

I have kind of changed my tone a bit. I didn't realize they claimed Bayonetta was actually the #1 character worldwide (because I didn't watch the Direct live; just viewed the results), so if that was the case, they actually did their job, and I can't complain.

Very very excited for Bayonetta, but I'm massively disappointed the Fighter Ballot produced only one character.

Corrin looks good too, and definitely an out of nowhere choice.

I will beat up a small child or a manchild equivalent to get that Bayo amiibo.

She will be OP in comp amiibo play as she spams that witch time to set me up for easy smashes.
Actually we cannot spam Witch Time... the video showed that if you do, Witch Time gets more and more weaker... so moderation is the key.

I have kind of changed my tone a bit. I didn't realize they claimed Bayonetta was actually the #1 character worldwide (because I didn't watch the Direct live; just viewed the results), so if that was the case, they actually did their job, and I can't complain.
That claim was a bunch of bull, in my opinion. probably just an excuse to go with the cheap fanservice route instead of adding a real character that people actually want.

Posting this here as well...

I find Bayonetta's inclusion to be very suspicious. The Ballot end two months ago and they were able to obtain the rights to the character, create a stage, gather music, create a full fledged move set and a model for her? And this isn't even taking taking into account that they were also working Cloud, Midgard, mii costumes, and Corrin.

I feel dissapointed about Corrin.I am 100% sure no one voted for her besides maybe some people in Japan.Im greatful for the characters but ashamed that Corrin was picked over millions of people that picked Banjo or king K Rool.I actually thought Inklings was the ballot inner because splatoon has became a very great icon in nintendo.But i see what nintendo has done.They turned the characters that people asked for into ghetto,ratchet,boot leg Mii costumes.I would not and did not spend a penny on those things.They put a M rated and very.... exsposed character into a FAMILY game and by that i am very dissiported.Just like they put that almost naked Shulk and over exsposed zero suit Samus in i have to say i am very ashamed and dissiported.In conclusion I feel greatful for these characters but to be honest,i think they could have been replaced with charcters that have been asked for exspecially Corrin.

To be honest, I'm more hyped for Corrin than Bayonetta.

Will probably pick up the latter's game after this but I still find it hard to believe the Number 1 choice went completely unnoticed and that it was easier for Sakurai to get a 3rd Party in than a 1st Party.

I feel dissapointed about Corrin.I am 100% sure no one voted for her besides maybe some people in Japan.Im greatful for the characters but ashamed that Corrin was picked over millions of people that picked Banjo or king K Rool.I actually thought Inklings was the ballot inner because splatoon has became a very great icon in nintendo.But i see what nintendo has done.They turned the characters that people asked for into ghetto,ratchet,boot leg Mii costumes.I would not and did not spend a penny on those things.They put a M rated and very.... exsposed character into a FAMILY game and by that i am very dissiported.Just like they put that almost naked Shulk and over exsposed zero suit Samus in i have to say i am very ashamed and dissiported.In conclusion I feel greatful for these characters but to be honest,i think they could have been replaced with charcters that have been asked for exspecially Corrin.
Corrin had nothing to do with the ballot. Bayonetta was the ballot "winner".

That claim was a bunch of bull, in my opinion. probably just an excuse to go with the cheap fanservice route instead of adding a real character that people actually want.
Me, personally, I would've rather seen Shrek, who was probably the cause of "*Among realizable characters".

Just my personal taste, but this was by far the worst newcomer class.

Okay, so in a nutshell...
Corrin: alright... Might not be a fan of an another FE character, but I really love her design as a fighter. Plus, since I like anime characters, I don't really mind too much as long as he's different (and I feel he is).
Costumes: not interested in the first place...
Cloud moveset: MUCH MORE HYPE THAN LAST TIME... SO COOL TO SEE HIS MOVESET BEING SHOWCASED.
Bayonetta: *HYPE SPEECH OVER 9000. I may not be a Bayonetta guy, but DAMN, HER MOVESET IS AWESOME! Without a doubt the best part of this direct.
Overall, pretty great finale, but sadly, no Rayman (sniff. RIP)...

Bayonetta is garbage! I am sick of human characters! Wah! Wah! Wah!

I am not mocking anyone; that is how I actually feel.

amazing direct. I was expecting the salt from this community, but it is toxic and pretty much an echo-chamber anyway.

I can't imagine anyone doing a better job making critical choices than Sakurai himself. Amazing work.

This was a really bad Smash for me roster-wise. The only character I wanted who got in was Bowser Jr., but I didn't want him in the Clown Car...

Though I'm going to be plenty entertained from the salt generated by the Geno Mii Costume.
... am I the only one who actually appreciates the Geno costume?

I knew for a fact that Geno wouldn't make it. with Cloud as the Square representative, it opened the gate for the costume while shutting down the character possibility.

the reason Corrin got in was to market the new FE game. on a side note, SMRPG came out almost 20 years ago, and not many remember Geno from back then.

the only way Geno was getting in was through the ballot, but his rank lowered since the ballot from Brawl.

also, Geno as a gunner costume makes more sense than K. Rool as a brawler... and I main gunner anyways, so yeah.

this confirms gunner for best skins in the game too.

Last edited:
To me, I think the character(s) (like K.Rool, Dixie Kong, Isaac, Banjo, Snake, etc) we voted didn't make it in because of us.

Last edited:
Bayonetta getting in truly was amazing. Super
Very very excited for Bayonetta, but I'm massively disappointed the Fighter Ballot produced only one character.

Corrin looks good too, and definitely an out of nowhere choice.
It's implied in previous statements that the ballot will be used to determine character additions in future Smash games.

Hey, if Bayonetta and Corrin are "finished" a bit early within the studio... we may get Wolf/Pichu since they are heavily based on their counterparts.... hopefully. (Crosses fingers for a Lucas style announcement "out of nowhere" for a surprise final, FINAL, DLC character).

Edit: this maybe far-fetched because while Sakurai said DLC is ending soon... this is Sakurai we're talking about: he's said in the past that Melee/Brawl were his "final" games. While we are definitely getting Corrin and Bayonetta in February... just remember what game comes out around then (aside from FE Fates of course). IIRC there were about 6-ish slots added for future DLC characters (post Ryu/Roy/Lucas).... counting Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta: that's only 3. Though it can be said that the "extra" slots are a contingency plan.

TL;DR This may be the end, and I'll accept it this way... but only Sakurai himself can stop the train when he wants to.

Last edited:
I really don't get why people are still hoping for more characters
I think it's been made perfectly clear from today that there will be NO MORE DLC fighters after Corinn and Bayonetta

I really don't get why people are still hoping for more characters
I think it's been made perfectly clear from today that there will be NO MORE DLC fighters after Corinn and Bayonetta
Yeah, this is it for Smash 4. With the NX coming up, a Smash game for it is almost certain.

Bayonetta getting in truly was amazing. Super

It's implied in previous statements that the ballot will be used to determine character additions in future Smash games.
That was one thing that should of been emphasized more, some people didn't realize that they said that

Bayonetta I don't have a problem with her she's a more recent character and actually is different

The ones saying k rool should be in are just crying unless k room were to be in a new dk game I don't see the reason for his inclusion. If you want him that bad make him your self of course they're gonna go for someone different

Korrin I feel mixed don't like that all FE character are sword fighters(Robin is technically not if your being kind) but at least hes pretty different from other sword fighters except for counter. felt they should of chose a non sword fighter if it was gonna be FE character but I might play him even though not into FE all that much

Nice the cloud is/was released so quickly instead of a long wait still have a problem with him being put in smash unless a new FF game comes to nintendo or remake for Nintendo

... am I the only one who actually appreciates the Geno costume?

I knew for a fact that Geno wouldn't make it. with Cloud as the Square representative, it opened the gate for the costume while shutting down the character possibility.

the reason Corrin got in was to market the new FE game. on a side note, SMRPG came out almost 20 years ago, and not many remember Geno from back then.

the only way Geno was getting in was through the ballot, but his rank lowered since the ballot from Brawl.

also, Geno as a gunner costume makes more sense than K. Rool as a brawler... and I main gunner anyways, so yeah.

this confirms gunner for best skins in the game too.
The costume is pretty great, so no complaints from me. I'm just glad that SMRPG actually got some recognition in Smash.

There is no way that will be tourney legal, kid
Well isn't that a wonderfully pessimistic view of a stage that looks at first glance as though it could be a solid stage for competitive play. I bet you're the kind of person who deems most stages noncompetitive without having even touched them, or even giving one a try. :p

Even as a MGS fan I never wanted to get my hopes up for Snake coming back, because I highly doubted it and I only use Snake in PM. I am very sad that Shovel Knight and K. Rool didn't make it in. RIP Snake, Wolf, Shovel Knight, and K. Rool....

I never really wanted Bayonetta, I doubted she would get in the game, but I was never against her being in the game either. I am glad she is in the game and she looks like she is going to be really fun and really good. Corrin actually made me feel a little bit angry though. The 3 series in Smash I really didn't want to get another character was Mario (Unless it was Geno), Kid Icarus, and Fire Emblem. I don't think we have too many sword characters, but I do definitely think we have too many FE character/anime sword-wielding characters in Smash. I bet Corrin will be a fun character to use, but I will always be salty that they chose to put in another anime sword character over maybe something like the 2nd most voted ballot character in the world, most voted in NA, or bring back Wolf (Is it REALLY that much work to just bring back Wolf in Smash 4?).

LOL at all the EXTREME amounts of :salt::salt::salt: over Corrin's inclusion. I for one am pretty damn excited for all the fresh content we're getting. I agree that Fire Emblem was a bit over-saturated in SSB4 and I ideally would liked to have seen another newcomer or returning veteran (Wolf :crying:) make it in but I can't in my right mind be disappointed in this game's final roster, everything after Mewtwo for me was just icing on the cake. Also, anyone calling Corrin a "generic anime-swordsman" is a complete ****ing idiot, Did you see the same trailer I saw? Out of all the things Corrin is, "generic" does not seem to be one of them. Bayonetta coming out of nowhere was the showstopper though nothing could top that. Anyone doubting Bayonetta's popularity in the ballot is also a complete ****ing idiot. Why would Sakurai have any reason at all to lie about the results of the ballot? Well, at least I'm happy with all the news.

To everyone else, lay off the :salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt:

Hey, if Bayonetta and Corrin are "finished" a bit early within the studio... we may get Wolf/Pichu since they are heavily based on their counterparts.... hopefully. (Crosses fingers for a Lucas style announcement "out of nowhere" for a surprise final, FINAL, DLC character).

Edit: this maybe far-fetched because while Sakurai said DLC is ending soon... this is Sakurai we're talking about: he's said in the past that Melee/Brawl were his "final" games. While we are definitely getting Corrin and Bayonetta in February... just remember what game comes out around then (aside from FE Fates of course). IIRC there were about 6-ish slots added for future DLC characters (post Ryu/Roy/Lucas).... counting Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta: that's only 3. Though it can be said that the "extra" slots are a contingency plan.

TL;DR This may be the end, and I'll accept it this way... but only Sakurai himself can stop the train when he wants to.
Dude, it's over.

I think the problem with this scenario is that once Cloud was revealed, they thought Anything was possible, so they expected Everything. People with their personal favorite dream characters set themselves up for disappointment by convincing themselves that their character was possible, without limits. Even though I speak as though I was above that, I was not. I was expecting Inlkings and Wolf, but Inklings were... I don't know, probably not hype enough (or fresh enough, amirite?), and Wolf would be a returning character. I wholeheartedly respect Sakurai's decision in choosing to introduce more new things into the game over bringing back old things. I can live without my personal favorites, because oh my god that mighty morphin' fire ranger and ridiculously shooty umbra witch!

Top Bottom