• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Final Video Presentation Recap

What was your favorite part of the direct?

• Cloud and Midgar Stage Information

Votes: 95 12.9%
  • New Mii Costumes

Votes: 32 4.4%
  • Corrin Chooses To Smash

Votes: 184 25.0%
  • Bayonetta Gets Wicked! And New Umbra Clock Tower Stage

Votes: 424 57.7%

• Total voters
As Sakurai set to close the curtains on Smash 4, our excitements could not be contained. Whistles blew on hype trains across the world as Smash fans settled in for what was to be the final video presentation for Smash 4. We got many amazing announcement that are sure to entice. For those who have yet to watch the direct this is the final warning before we get to spoilers, so turn around now or learn what Smash 4 still has in store!

---​

Corrin, the main character from from Fire Emblem: Fates is coming to Smash! Corrin will have a male and female version of the character similar to Robin or Wii Fit Trainer. As "dragon blood runs through his veins" some of his moves will involve partial transformation. If Corrin is purchased for the Wii U version, two free songs will be included on the the Fire Emblem stages in the games from Fire Emblem Fates. Two special trophies for Fire Emblem Fates have also been added to Smash 3DS. Corrin has a hopeful release in February 2016 and is expected to cost $4.99 for the character.

Corrin Chooses To Smash!

Many details on Cloud's gameplay were explained during the presentation including the mechanics of his Limit Gauge as well as how the new stage Midgar would use 'summons' like Ifrit, Ramuh, Odin, and more! Cloud and his new stage Midgar will be coming to Smash 4 for download later today! They can be bought as a bundle for $5.99.

New Mii Costumes!

While many expected the Chocobo Mi hat after the Cloud's announcement, another character with strong ties to Square Enix and Nintendo also made his way into Smash as a costume: Super Mario RPG's Geno! This wasn't the end either as many more costumes were announced such as:
  • Knuckles (Sonic) - Mii Brawler Costume
  • Tails (Sonic) - Mii Gunner Costume
  • Bionic - Brawler
  • Ashley (Wario Ware Inc. Mega Microgame$)- Swordfighter
  • Gil - (The Tower Of Druaga) Swordfighter
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) - Swordfighter

Bayonetta comes to Smash! She was the winner of the Smash Ballot in Europe, within the top 5 in America, and was the most "realizable fighter" within the ballot. Umbra Clock Tower will be coming as Bayonetta's stage with it's own unique music as well as special trophies form the game. February 2016 is also the targeted release date for Bayonetta. All characters announced today will also have amiibos made for them as well.

Bayonetta Gets Wicked!

The full presentation with more details can be viewed here. Feel the hype Smash fans? Is that pure energy unable to be contained? Jump into the comments section below and tell us what was the best part of this direct and as always stay tuned to Smashboards for the finest in Smash news coverage

Last edited:

Comments

Smash is too big of a gold mine to suddenly stop. Smash prints money and the NX is coming rather soon.
You might as well ask "Who said there was gonna be a next Mario game?"
I'm literally asking who said there was gonna be a smash 5?Which was your source?

Namco made Smash 4 btw.
Sorry for being a buzzkill, but CORRECTION:

Namco merely helped developing Smash 4. The company making it mainly was still Sora/Nintendo.
That may happen, but I'd still like to hope for a new (maybe better) developer.
So you're telling me that all of your statements about Smash 4 being taken over by a new director is from personal bias? lol.

On top of that, no matter who you choose to be a director, if it isn't Sakurai it won't be the same. Sure, there's a small chance you might get who YOU want, but there's no guarantee that you'll like the game.

Giving Smash a new director is like handing over Street Fighter over to, say, Disney. Sure, they're a talented bunch of folks, and sure, they've made games before, but this is an new genre with new "rules" and fans. If they make a Street Fighter game, it'll probably have fan favorites, and maybe a couple easter egg characters here and there, but there's no telling if it'll be the same caliber as before.

And if history is any indication, fans would rip that game to shreds.

Last edited:

Namco merely helped developing Smash 4. The company making it mainly was still Sora/Nintendo.

So you're telling me that all of your statements about Smash 4 being taken over by a new director is from personal bias? lol.

On top of that, no matter who you choose to be a director, if it isn't Sakurai it won't be the same. Sure, there's a small chance you might get who YOU want, but there's no guarantee that you'll like the game.

Giving Smash a new director is like handing over Street Fighter over to, say, Disney. Sure, they're a talented bunch of folks, and sure, they've made games before, but this is an new genre with new "rules" and fans. If they make a Street Fighter game, it'll probably have fan favorites, and maybe a couple easter egg characters here and there, but there's no telling if it'll be the same caliber as before.

And if history is any indication, fans would rip that game to shreds.

another example is big red button and sonic boom instead of sonic team

Last edited:
I'm literally asking who said there was gonna be a smash 5?Which was your source?
that implies that nintendo EAD's team works on smash, this is severely incorrect,

sakurai and his team aren't going to be there forever and is NOT nintendo EAD, its SORA

2) sakurai needs a retirement long break from work, because the smash fans seem to not give a rats ass about anyone but themselves (let alone their own or others's well being) - sakurai could be dying in the hospitol and people would still complain for him to make another smash game

3) want big red button to make the next smash?

4) a sign and proof of sakurai not doing games for a long time would also be the drought of kirby games since he does those too

Not to start another argument, but he left Kirby games altogether. Kirby is tackled by another team, aren't they?
Yes, that is correct. He didn't like the idea of making endless sequels and felt that doing so was losing the charm and imagination of the original games. That's why he handed the franchise to Nintendo to head future Kirby projects.

Oh good heavens, trying to get all technical now? You may as well say that Nintendo will stop making Mario and Zelda games (after Zelda U) or that the Pokemon Company will no longer be making main Pokemon games.

I said "a probable Smash 5" and it's too much of a gold mine to suddenly stop making Smash games. Smash will certainly continue with or without Sakurai at the helm.

he's right though. The thing was: stop complaining. Please have a proper debate instead.
I never understood why people can't complain. Why are they allowed to praise something but not complain about it? What's the difference?

I cannot believe the amount of people who said they voted for both Corrin and Bayonetta.

Hate to be a buzzkill, but Sora is comprised of Sakurai and his wife, while nintendo is producing the game, which means the development team was Namco, just like the last dev team (for brawl) was the team that made Grandia 3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros.#Development

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sora_Ltd.

Last edited:
I never understood why people can't complain. Why are they allowed to praise something but not complain about it? What's the difference?

I cannot believe the amount of people who said they voted for both Corrin and Bayonetta.
That's not the point. You don't see the anyone praise Sakurai multiple times in the same thread.
You and a special few keep complaining, going on and on about the same stuff for ALMOST A WEEK.

If you really have enough time to be this salty and selfish, then I admire your determination. Maybe you should build a giant wall blocking Japan and whatever your country is since you obviously can't handle any more anime swordsmen and only want rival retro cartoon animals.

I'll go play Smash and forget this conversation.

Hate to be a buzzkill, but Sora is comprised of Sakurai and his wife, while nintendo is producing the game, which means the development team was Namco, just like the last dev team (for brawl) was the team that made Grandia 3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros.#Development

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sora_Ltd.
How the **** is that relevant?

It's all about preference.

Neither can we. It could have been anyone. Even Shantae.
that implies that nintendo EAD's team works on smash, this is severely incorrect,

sakurai and his team aren't going to be there forever and is NOT nintendo EAD, its SORA

Exactly.

2) sakurai needs a retirement long break from work, because the smash fans seem to not give a rats *** about anyone but themselves (let alone their own or others's well being) - sakurai could be dying in the hospitol and people would still complain for him to make another smash game

Smash fans in a nutshell.

3) want big red button to make the next smash?

No.

4) a sign and proof of sakurai not doing games for a long time would also be the drought of kirby games since he does those too

Sakurai no longer makes Kirby anymore.

That's not the point. You don't see the anyone praise Sakurai multiple times in the same thread.
You and a special few keep complaining, going on and on about the same stuff for ALMOST A WEEK.

Really, the only offender to him/her as far as I know (from pages 14-16) is KingPinGamez.

If you really have enough time to be this salty and selfish, then I admire your determination. Maybe you should build a giant wall blocking Japan and whatever your country is since you obviously can't handle any more anime swordsmen and only want rival retro cartoon animals.

All he/she said was that he/she was surprised at the amount of people on this thread who claimed to have voted for Bayonetta and Corrin. He/she said previously that he/she didn't care.

I'll go play Smash and forget this conversation.

Yeah, and I'll go play Smash and forget I have cancer. Oh wait.

Really, the only offender to him/her as far as I know (from pages 14-16) is KingPinGamez.

edit out Name and Dan to name a few lol.

All he/she said was that he/she was surprised at the amount of people on this thread who claimed to have voted for Bayonetta and Corrin. He/she said previously that he/she didn't care.

huh? If you've been reading, he's been complaining about more irrelveant stuff that noone even cares about anymore since page 2

You have cancer? Ok. I don't care since I don't know you or care for your attitude but sorry for your loss I guess? Unless this is a joke gone over my brain tumor.

These people privileged enough to even see a Smash 5 are complaining about characters that they don't even have to buy? Woah. I didn't know you had to buy cancer to get it (If you were comparing Bayonetta and Corrin to cancer).

Last edited:
I think of the people in this thread I praise Sakurai more than most.

Please don't try and spin me defending the choices and logic behind the design and development of this game as somehow antagonizing him.

MamaLuigi123456 MamaLuigi123456 Dan Dan @Xandercosm Mario123311 Mario123311 and another I can't remember at the moment seem to be on some kind of Sakurai hate spree.

AS for Sora. Sora LTD is comprised of nobody but Sakurai until the time comes to work on a project. Then they hire a few people, which Sakurai struggled with immensly, and are then disbanded once the project is finished.

For Kid Icarus: Uprising Sora Ltd was the biggest, with about 30 employees all gifted to Sora by Iwata, his longtime friend and ex-president of Nintendo.

After that the Sora Project closed and Sora Ltd is still only comprised of Sakurai.

To say the game was developed mainly by Sora is not fair towards the actual development team at Namco doing the work.

Sora/Sakurai spearhead the operation and are in charge of the decisionmaking process for many reasons.

If you would be so kind to check Iwata asks on Brawl, Iwata said that they were planning to do Melee Online (Which is what Brawl was slated to be at that point) with HAL Laboratories if Sakurai wasn't onboard.

Since Sakurai left HAL and was working alone, they found Game Arts and made Brawl.

I'm curious what will happen if he leaves. I know that if Iwata were alive we would simply get Smash for NX instead (rerelease of the current game).

Who knows now...

Even Sakurai said he's not sure if smash will even get a sequel. This might be the last game if you take everything he says literally, like most people do on here about him not wanting to make another smash game (even though he said he adores making smash and would hate not being able to work on great content like Ryu from SF)

Last edited:

edit out Name and Dan to name a few lol.

huh? If you've been reading, he's been complaining about more irrelveant stuff that noone even cares about anymore since page 2

Thanks for the heads up.

You have cancer? Ok. I don't care since I don't know you or care for your attitude but sorry for your loss I guess? Unless this is a joke gone over my brain tumor.

If I really had cancer, would I be typing on my laptop right now?

These people privileged enough to even see a Smash 5 are complaining about characters that they don't even have to buy? Woah. I didn't know you had to buy cancer to get it (If you were comparing Bayonetta and Corrin to cancer).

No, I wasn't making a compairison, just a harmless joke is all.
I think of the people in this thread I praise Sakurai more than most.

Your point?

Please don't try and spin me defending the choices and logic behind the design and development of this game as somehow antagonizing him.

You're going to get that anyway, let's be honest.

MamaLuigi123456 MamaLuigi123456 Dan Dan @Xandercosm Mario123311 Mario123311 and another I can't remember at the moment seem to be on some kind of Sakurai hate spree.

I don't hate Sakurai, I just think it's time to hand development to another director.

AS for Sora. Sora LTD is comprised of nobody but Sakurai until the time comes to work on a project. Then they hire a few people, which Sakurai struggled with immensly, and are then disbanded once the project is finished.

For Kid Icarus: Uprising Sora Ltd was the biggest, with about 30 employees all gifted to Sora by Iwata, his longtime friend and ex-president of Nintendo.

After that the Sora Project closed and Sora Ltd is still only comprised of Sakurai.

To say the game was developed mainly by Sora is not fair towards the actual development team at Namco doing the work.

Well, Namco is third-party, so it makes sense.

Sora/Sakurai spearhead the operation and are in charge of the decisionmaking process for many reasons.

Not for long, though.

If you would be so kind to check Iwata asks on Brawl, Iwata said that they were planning to do Melee Online (Which is what Brawl was slated to be at that point) with HAL Laboratories if Sakurai wasn't onboard.

Since Sakurai left HAL and was working alone, they found Game Arts and made Brawl.

I'm curious what will happen if he leaves. I know that if Iwata were alive we would simply get Smash for NX instead (rerelease of the current game).

Who knows now...

No one, that's why we're debating on what could happen in the future.

Even Sakurai said he's not sure if smash will even get a sequel. This might be the last game if you take everything he says literally, like most people do on here about him not wanting to make another smash game (even though he said he adores making smash and would hate not being able to work on great content like Ryu from SF)

So maybe Smash 5 and possibly Smash 6 will be developed by Sakurai, but unless 1-Up Mushrooms somehow exist, Sakurai will EVENTUALLY need to die and leave the development to someone else. Hope you realize that.

Debating does not mean throwing personal insults around.
unless your a polition then its FREE SEASON!!!
"I shall insult your every stance, even if you admitted a past stance was wrong because of the fact it was yours once. I shall also refer to your familly, your pet dog, and any of your political friends or people who support you. My goal is to completely undermine you and make you look like a complete joke disregarding the fact that it makes me look like and @$$ XD. any time you try to rebuke me or say I am wrong I shall simply repeat what I already said [no matter how wrong it is] and repeat whatever brilliant [even if stupid] catchphrase my staff has stapled on my fore head."

I guess part of why im happir about lucas than abotu Wolf was because of the whole TRIPLE LANDMASTER!!! While Lucas and Ness had Different versions of PK STAR STORM. [and mother three is awesome and made me cry.]
Also if ya like ya can disregard my mini rant above, All the politics online with hillary using a loaded DNC to cheat and Donald Trump being insane has me a bit mentally rattled. :p
Wolf as a design was an interestign character, I just never played him that often myself compared to say Melee's Dr mario and roy. Lucas and Snake were two of my fave characters in brawl and having one of them back makes me happy. just wish Wolf had been given a different final smash [and so does most of the players of brawl I think. three landmasters.. REALLY?]

unless your a polition then its FREE SEASON!!!

And I'm not, yet a debate should not be personal insults no matter who's running the show.

"I shall insult your every stance, even if you admitted a past stance was wrong because of the fact it was yours once. I shall also refer to your familly, your pet dog, and any of your political friends or people who support you. My goal is to completely undermine you and make you look like a complete joke disregarding the fact that it makes me look like and @$$ XD. any time you try to rebuke me or say I am wrong I shall simply repeat what I already said [no matter how wrong it is] and repeat whatever brilliant [even if stupid] catchphrase my staff has stapled on my fore head."

Why do you need to quote someone?

I guess part of why im happir about lucas than abotu Wolf was because of the whole TRIPLE LANDMASTER!!! While Lucas and Ness had Different versions of PK STAR STORM. [and mother three is awesome and made me cry.]

You do realize that they could change Wolf's Final Smash so he could pilot a Wolfen or something, right? That's actually what they would do suggesting that he would be DLC, as they have all the time in the world and not time-restricted.

Also if ya like ya can disregard my mini rant above, All the politics online with hillary using a loaded DNC to cheat and Donald Trump being insane has me a bit mentally rattled. :p

You oughtta check out "Your a Mean One, Mr. Trump" by CollegeHumor.

Wolf as a design was an interestign character, I just never played him that often myself compared to say Melee's Dr mario and roy. Lucas and Snake were two of my fave characters in brawl and having one of them back makes me happy. just wish Wolf had been given a different final smash [and so does most of the players of brawl I think. three landmasters.. REALLY?]

Read above.

Whyy ohh Why would they choose to stop putting fighters out, There's so many that could make another amazing addition, (Wheres bomberman?) It makes me so sad to see the roster come to a close.

MamaLuigi123456 MamaLuigi123456
part 1: I was pretty much agreeing there. Debates shoudl be done with facts, intelligent discussion, and genuine reasoning.
part 2; if ya actually read that it should be clear that I was not quoting anyone at all. It was a joke moking politics and how it works in the public eye.
part 3: I am fully aware that they can change wolf's final smash. In my post I was talking about why I rearely played him at all. Sure he had a slightly different move set but the same final smash in three characters made him feel really pointless in comparison to lucas and ike. My worry is that they 'wouldn't' change the attack due to wanting to keep him the same as from brawl. My reasoning being they could have changed Falco or shiek as well. However Lucario changed so it does seem possible.
part 4: yeah ill try and look that up some time.
part 5: dr mario, Roy, Lucas, and Snake wre all characers I played consistantly in thier games so it makes sense id be happiest to see them around. Lucas using more psi attacks instead of weapons like ness made him more interesting to me. Snake had all his random gadgets and ya gotta admit chasing people with a rocket launcher was pretty dang fun. Roy I liked at first simply cause hes a red head like me, but the additional fire effect is why I kept playing him. Dr mario.. was just funny, throwing pils at people to damage them was awesome.

Teeler Teeler : yeah I know that one.There are so many game series that they could touch on like castlevania as I have repeated many times on this forum [to the probable irritation of others. but hey Belmont is in my name so its already clear i a huge vania fan XD.] I would have liked more dlc stages though for 3ds. I think the biggest problem for DLC characters requessted was that people thought of how fun they would be to play, but not how they could be shown correct or accuratly. Sure Goku could be fun to play, but does it fit that he would be beaten up by olimar? How about if ya watched Super man get ounched off the stage by Wario man? most people just spoke as fans of games not really thinking of hat FITS or coudl work in smash. Over powerd characters liks super man or goku couldnot be portrayed correctly in this setting and thus do not work. Ya need characters who can fight and win, but also make sense if they lose.

Last edited:
Whyy ohh Why would they choose to stop putting fighters out, There's so many that could make another amazing addition, (Wheres bomberman?) It makes me so sad to see the roster come to a close.
i believe konami owns that IP, remember the konami ****storm going around

the team wants to disband, you cannot keep a team forever, or replace them and expect the 1 to 1 work consistency of that of the original team be shown

Last edited:
i believe konami owns that IP, remember the konami ****storm going around

the team wants to disband, you cannot keep a team forever, or replace them and expect the 1 to 1 work consistency of that of the original team be shown
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-04-30-what-is-happening-at-konami

Like I suspected, Konami is probably asking for money from Nintendo to use their IPs seeing as the company is slowly shrinking its AAA games development in favor of licensing.

The NX Platform, that's why. Both the Wii U & the 3DS are headed out the door for their NX-based counterparts (don't let Nintendo's PR fool you, the 3DS is the GBA to the NX Handheld's DS). Nintendo's likely pulling the plug on support for said Wii U & 3DS games in preparation for the NX Platform's arrival in 2016.

The NX Platform, that's why. Both the Wii U & the 3DS are headed out the door for their NX-based counterparts (don't let Nintendo's PR fool you, the 3DS is the GBA to the NX Handheld's DS). Nintendo's likely pulling the plug on support for said Wii U & 3DS games in preparation for the NX Platform's arrival in 2016.
and do we have any definitive proof that they are launching it in 2016 and not simply showing it off for the first time?

Can I just say this?

I enjoyed the presentation but what I enjoyed the most is the salt from the fans worldwide. That had me laughing for days because I expected Sakurai to troll with the fans big time.

Of the things I did not like, the presentation was good but it felt a bit underwhelming. I expected more from a final presentation, you know, going out with a big ''BANG" (and by that really impress us with more than 2 new characters added). I know thats asking too much but thats how I feel.

Also, I would have loved to see the official results of the ballot just for kicks and curiosity. Its very strange that they kept the results a secret even after the presentation (which to me it screams "RESULT MANIPULATION" but we will never know for sure unless the results are released).

To be honest, I don't mind Bayonette to be in sm4sh. In fact, I welcome all different characters... except for 4th party characters. But what irks me is the lousy fanbase.

Can I just say this?

I enjoyed the presentation but what I enjoyed the most is the salt from the fans worldwide. That had me laughing for days because I expected Sakurai to troll with the fans big time.

Of the things I did not like, the presentation was good but it felt a bit underwhelming. I expected more from a final presentation, you know, going out with a big ''BANG" (and by that really impress us with more than 2 new characters added). I know thats asking too much but thats how I feel.

Also, I would have loved to see the official results of the ballot just for kicks and curiosity. Its very strange that they kept the results a secret even after the presentation (which to me it screams "RESULT MANIPULATION" but we will never know for sure unless the results are released).
holy ****! i'm not the only one that knows the trolls and doesn't expect the same troll to be repeated by sakurai

I think both characters look awesome, not a huge fan of Cloud but not the worst thing ever. I'm forever a diehard fan, probably my all-time favorite video game series but I do wish out of the most recent released characters that a couple of them were not in human form weilding a sword. It starts to seem gimmicky and less creative roster wise.

Top Bottom