• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Final Video Presentation Recap

What was your favorite part of the direct?

• Cloud and Midgar Stage Information

Votes: 95 12.9%
  • New Mii Costumes

Votes: 32 4.4%
  • Corrin Chooses To Smash

Votes: 184 25.0%
  • Bayonetta Gets Wicked! And New Umbra Clock Tower Stage

Votes: 424 57.7%

• Total voters
As Sakurai set to close the curtains on Smash 4, our excitements could not be contained. Whistles blew on hype trains across the world as Smash fans settled in for what was to be the final video presentation for Smash 4. We got many amazing announcement that are sure to entice. For those who have yet to watch the direct this is the final warning before we get to spoilers, so turn around now or learn what Smash 4 still has in store!

---​

Corrin, the main character from from Fire Emblem: Fates is coming to Smash! Corrin will have a male and female version of the character similar to Robin or Wii Fit Trainer. As "dragon blood runs through his veins" some of his moves will involve partial transformation. If Corrin is purchased for the Wii U version, two free songs will be included on the the Fire Emblem stages in the games from Fire Emblem Fates. Two special trophies for Fire Emblem Fates have also been added to Smash 3DS. Corrin has a hopeful release in February 2016 and is expected to cost $4.99 for the character.

Corrin Chooses To Smash!

Many details on Cloud's gameplay were explained during the presentation including the mechanics of his Limit Gauge as well as how the new stage Midgar would use 'summons' like Ifrit, Ramuh, Odin, and more! Cloud and his new stage Midgar will be coming to Smash 4 for download later today! They can be bought as a bundle for $5.99.

New Mii Costumes!

While many expected the Chocobo Mi hat after the Cloud's announcement, another character with strong ties to Square Enix and Nintendo also made his way into Smash as a costume: Super Mario RPG's Geno! This wasn't the end either as many more costumes were announced such as:
  • Knuckles (Sonic) - Mii Brawler Costume
  • Tails (Sonic) - Mii Gunner Costume
  • Bionic - Brawler
  • Ashley (Wario Ware Inc. Mega Microgame$)- Swordfighter
  • Gil - (The Tower Of Druaga) Swordfighter
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) - Swordfighter

Bayonetta comes to Smash! She was the winner of the Smash Ballot in Europe, within the top 5 in America, and was the most "realizable fighter" within the ballot. Umbra Clock Tower will be coming as Bayonetta's stage with it's own unique music as well as special trophies form the game. February 2016 is also the targeted release date for Bayonetta. All characters announced today will also have amiibos made for them as well.

Bayonetta Gets Wicked!

The full presentation with more details can be viewed here. Feel the hype Smash fans? Is that pure energy unable to be contained? Jump into the comments section below and tell us what was the best part of this direct and as always stay tuned to Smashboards for the finest in Smash news coverage

Last edited:

Comments

This entire thread is full of facepalms. It's not even worth arguing about anymore. It's just repeats itself on and on but nothing is going to change. No matter how many times you ***** and complain.

I just think it's a really big disappointment. When I saw the opening scene of this direct, I started to get a little worried. I figured that it was probably just some character they were doing on the side, or something, and that the real characters would come after. Then the next half of the direct was taken up by boring mii costumes. Then, he said that they were about to show off the final newcomer.

At that point, I was already a bit worried, since I knew that Corrin was already taking up a spot. Then, the moment Bayonetta first came into the screen, my heart dropped. I have to say, that was one of the most devastating moments. To know that this was the final DLC. THESE characters would be the last ones. Another awful sword fighter and character that didn't even win the ballot.

To be honest, it was the ultimate anticlimax. That was probably the single most disappointing moment of 2015. I thought that the direct before was awful, but this... Wow. Nintendo never ceases to amaze me.
All I can say is thank God I didn't rush home to watch this piece of crap.

Everyone who's telling people like me to stop complaining, stop complaining about us complaining. :)

Yeah, Cloud wasn't as bad as this, but his inclusion just seemed so soulless to me; it's like why would anyone even care? I can understand the Bayonetta hype, but not Cloud. I would care about Cloud if this was 'Video Game All-Stars' and branched across several consoles.

Last edited:
Sakurai saved the series with Brawl.
Melee was incredibly difficult to play for most of the reular crowd and even though we loved the character selection and some stages it just felt too fast.

Sakurai returned to the basics with brawl and improved on that with smash 4.

I hope the PM team never touched the actual game as it would turn Smash into a niche series and would slowly die out as the hardcore cry about the shrinking community.
I will never understand this. Just because Melee can be a technical game, it doesn't mean it has to or needs to be played that way. How was it incredibly difficult? At 7 years old I had no trouble with it; come on dude. Too fast? Most people were turned off by Brawl cause it was so slow and boring. As a casual player, and still pretty much a casual player, at the time of Melee and Brawl's release, I was really let down with Brawl as opposed to Melee. Pretty much everything; even the graphics. I thought Melee was perfect; bright and colorful, detailed, but not overdone. Brawl is just dark and boring and way too realistic-looking.

All I can say is thank God I didn't rush home to watch this piece of crap.

Everyone who's telling people like me to stop complaining, stop complaining about us complaining. :)

Yeah, Cloud wasn't as bad as this, but his inclusion just seemed so soulless to me; it's like why would anyone even care? I can understand the Bayonetta hype, but not Cloud.
For those complaining about this last DLC/: instead of sitting at your computer while complainraging on your keyboards, why don't you actually show your frustration and demonstrate it to Nintendo? Form petitions, find likeminded people to form a boycott, don't buy the DLC, don't support Smash 4 related events, write letters every week, etc. Probably won't yield results but it's a hell a lot more productive then griping on Smashboards.

Or perhaps griping on Dmashboards is just easier. Or perhaps you don't actually care that much to act therefore don't feel strongly torwards the issue?

For those complaining about this last DLC/: instead of sitting at your computer while complainraging on your keyboards, why don't you actually show your frustration and demonstrate it to Nintendo? Form petitions, find likeminded people to form a boycott, don't buy the DLC, don't support Smash 4 related events, write letters every week, etc. Probably won't yield results but it's a hell a lot more productive then griping on Smashboards.

Or perhaps griping on Dmashboards is just easier. Or perhaps you don't actually care that much to act therefore don't feel strongly torwards the issue?
We don't care that much cause this type of stupid stuff will just keep happening.

Stop trolling.

Duck Hunt was not predictable. He came out of left field.
Everyone one here lost their minds when that happened.
Brawl had Pit and ROB
Melee had the Ice Climbers and Mr Game and Watch.
Sm4sh had Little Mac and Duck Hunt.

Retro reps appear. Most 3rd party characters are retro (you forgot to mention the top most requested character ever for smash: Sonic)

Banjo would be dumb for a multitude of reasons, but let's focus on what Sakurai said about cutting the ICs.

He said it is easier to cut characters who simply have no future whatsoever. (by now there are better retro reps than those two) Which means that there is more logic in representing series that are relevant over series that are dead or going nowhere.

This rule makes Cloud's inclusion seemingly impossible as Square and Nintendo don't play very nice. He has no future on nintendo (as far as we know).

Out of those you called 'out of left field'only two count: Pit and Corrin.
Pit because he was never part of a huge series.
Corrin because we all thought Fire Emblem had enough reps as is.

The rest all made sense. If you cared to pay attention to reveal trailers or the source material.

Play Duck Hunt if you want Banjo so much. They even have the color scheme for people like you xD
I am not trolling; I am being 100% honest.

Okay, DHD was not predictable, but when you looking at G&W>ROB>DHD, he is pretty predictable. Now if Sheriff is in Smash 5 that will not be unpredictable to me at all because it's just following a pattern.

I can't lie; Pit was pretty damn predictable. There was talks of him for a while even though no one really knew who he was. I'm literally just pinning Sm4sh as being predictable in the retro arena. Little Mac was extremely predictable. He was expected to get in. He and Palutena were the 2 characters who absolutely had to get in, especially Mac.

This is my personal opinion, but I would like to see more retro characters like Banjo, K. Rool or Geno, who were kind of popular for just a little bit a long time ago and kind of fell off. I know we get those, but it's just boring characters like G&W and ROB; I like Duck Hunt.

What are the multitude of reasons Banjo is dumb?

He didn't cut the IC's because they had no future, but because they weren't technically possible on the 3DS. He wanted the roster to be the same on both versions. They were fully functional on the Wii U and a certain period in development.

This isn't directed at you, but I wonder why they even include characters like Pichu and Young Link if they aren't important enough to bring back. Quality>quantity, Mr. Sakurai. DHD has no future, ROB has no future, Falcon hasn't had a future, so I don't believe you or Sakurai for a minute. If you argue they have a future, then any character has a future. Even on Sakurai's behalf, there is no way to predict if a character has a future or not.

Who knows if Cloud has a future on Nintendo consoles, but he certainly doesn't have a past, that is for certain.

Wii Fit Trainer was not out of left-field? You just lost all credibility sir. Greninja was a bit left-field because everyone was expecting Mewtwo; ditto for Robin/Chrom. I said Dark Pit, not Pit. Kid Icarus is a huge series now. Corrin, yes, because FE has too many reps, but also because his game isn't even out yet in NA. Sakurai is just obsessed with the idea of including a FE rep before their game is even released; he apparently thinks it's the greatest and most genius thing ever.

Yeah, I'll go play DHD for Banjo, and then I'll go play Bowser for K. Rool. Why do you feel the need to rub it in?

Okay, I wrote all of this before I read your last part, but yes, it is because I really don't care that much. I care, but not nearly enough to do any of that. Like it's not affecting my life; it was just such a steaming pile of bull dung that my jaw is still on the floor. I just enjoy the debate; I really don't care that much. Plus, all of the things you listed wouldn't even do anything.

I wouldn't "care" if he put John Cena in the game, but I would still talk about it; it's hard to explain in words.

Last edited:

Like they are ever going to afford plane tickets to Nintendo's Headquarters just to criticize them. Lol.

I am not trolling; I am being 100% honest.

Okay, DHD was not predictable, but when you looking at G&W>ROB>DHD, he is pretty predictable. Now if Sheriff is in Smash 5 that will not be unpredictable to me at all because it's just following a pattern.

I can't lie; Pit was pretty damn predictable. There was talks of him for a while even though no one really knew who he was. I'm literally just pinning Sm4sh as being predictable in the retro arena. Little Mac was extremely predictable. He was expected to get in. He and Palutena were the 2 characters who absolutely had to get in, especially Mac.

This is my personal opinion, but I would like to see more retro characters like Banjo, K. Rool or Geno, who were kind of popular for just a little bit a long time ago and kind of fell off. I know we get those, but it's just boring characters like G&W and ROB; I like Duck Hunt.

What are the multitude of reasons Banjo is dumb?

He didn't cut the IC's because they had no future, but because they weren't technically possible on the 3DS. He wanted the roster to be the same on both versions. They were fully functional on the Wii U and a certain period in development.

This isn't directed at you, but I wonder why they even include characters like Pichu and Young Link if they aren't important enough to bring back. Quality>quantity, Mr. Sakurai. DHD has no future, ROB has no future, Falcon hasn't had a future, so I don't believe you or Sakurai for a minute. If you argue they have a future, then any character has a future. Even on Sakurai's behalf, there is no way to predict if a character has a future or not.

Who knows if Cloud has a future on Nintendo consoles, but he certainly doesn't have a past, that is for certain.

Wii Fit Trainer was not out of left-field? You just lost all credibility sir. Greninja was a bit left-field because everyone was expecting Mewtwo; ditto for Robin/Chrom. I said Dark Pit, not Pit. Kid Icarus is a huge series now. Corrin, yes, because FE has too many reps, but also because his game isn't even out yet in NA. Sakurai is just obsessed with the idea of including a FE rep before their game is even released; he apparently thinks it's the greatest and most genius thing ever.

Yeah, I'll go play DHD for Banjo, and then I'll go play Bowser for K. Rool. Why do you feel the need to rub it in?
I find it funny how you bring up points I already had a counter argument against before, but you chose to sidestep and ignore it.

Sakurai, like any good leader, has multiple reasons for cutting something from the game. Not just one.
Say: he could have made the IceClimbers very different in a way that would not be taxing to the 3DS like he did to Pokemon Trainer (Charizard now) or Zelda and Sheik.

He cut them primarily for technical reasons and secondarily for not serving much purpose: classics are well-represented by other characters and the series has no future.

Getting a 3rd party character that gives nintendo 0 benefit means it comes at a cost. A cost that Nintendo will have to pay to please its fans. This is what the ballot is for, not regular development.

Two characters come to mind when thinking about sacrificing resources at nintendo: Sonic and Cloud.

Cloud may not have had history, but a certainc ompany called Square gambled their company on the last game they would ever make called: Final Fantasy. I hope you've heard of it.

Square and Nintendo do have history and it went sour at some point and never really recovered.

Banjo is dumb because:
A. He never was as popular or Iconic as other 3rd party inclusions (Bayonetta, the ballot winner not withstanding)
B. Is owned by the competition directly
C. Would probably mean a deal with the competition and if you paid attention to the deal Nintendo had to make with Sega to get Sonic... you may want to rethink asking for Banjo who isn't even that iconic.
If you are going with a major rep from Microsoft, I think your best bet would be Masterchief, not Banjo.

If you ever played games outside the smash series you would immediately understand why wii-fit trainer is playable, why nintendogs is an assist trophy, why dr kawashima is an assist trophy and why robin is in the game. Sakurai tries to add everyting into the game. If not possible as a fighter, assist trophy, stage, boss or item will do as well. Even though the gematsu leak said it wouold be chrom and people pretended gematsu leak was the bible, it wouldn't make too much sense to add chrom over robin who is one of the protagonists in FE Awakening. Not everyone was expecting Mewtwo. Maybe you were. I wanted Mewtwo.
I was expecting a new pokemon rep. Probably from the new games as they have been doing for a while now. I was losing hope for Mewtwo.

The only trend in sakurai's retro characters are the era they are from, but that is understandable as that's the era where most milestones were created for gaming in general.

You can't tell me that after seeing mr Game and watch and Ice climbers your first thought was: ROB will be playable. you know: the physical attachment on the NES.
Nobody would play Melee and say: yeah! Pit should be in hooray! don't lie to yourself.

If you really are a fan, then your comment about pichu and young link make no sense at all. Sakurai was working nonstop on melee with a tiny team and wanted to fill out the roster some more, so he decided to go with the low time cost of creating clones, just like wolf was added at the end of brawl's development time.

If you were paying attention at all you know exactly why Robin and Corrin made it in. Both of them got lucky because their games were released/being released around the time of planning the roster/DLC.
Lucina lucked out. Roy was already a veteran, highly requested in both japan and US at that.

if you don't pay attention to what Sakurai says and how he develops his games then I will close our conversation here. You clearly don't understand how he adds retro characters to pay homage, focuses on iconic characters in general and then focuses on what is trending as well as what fans demand highly.

emphasis on fanS and demand HIGHLY. so in that regard I would definitely say no to K. Rool as well as he's not trending, not an icon and not a retro symbol on the same scale as the others.

Last edited:
I find it funny how you bring up points I already had a counter argument against before, but you chose to sidestep and ignore it.

Sakurai, like any good leader, has multiple reasons for cutting something from the game. Not just one.
Say: he could have made the IceClimbers very different in a way that would not be taxing to the 3DS like he did to Pokemon Trainer (Charizard now) or Zelda and Sheik.

He cut them primarily for technical reasons and secondarily for not serving much purpose: classics are well-represented by other characters and the series has no future.

Getting a 3rd party character that gives nintendo 0 benefit means it comes at a cost. A cost that Nintendo will have to pay to please its fans. This is what the ballot is for, not regular development.

Two characters come to mind when thinking about sacrificing resources at nintendo: Sonic and Cloud.

Cloud may not have had history, but a certainc ompany called Square gambled their company on the last game they would ever make called: Final Fantasy. I hope you've heard of it.

Square and Nintendo do have history and it went sour at some point and never really recovered.

Banjo is dumb because:
A. He never was as popular or Iconic as other 3rd party inclusions (Bayonetta, the ballot winner not withstanding)
C. Would probably mean a deal with the competition and if you paid attention to the deal Nintendo had to make with Sega to get Sonic... you may want to rethink asking for Banjo who isn't even that iconic.
If you are going with a major rep from Microsoft, I think your best bet would be Masterchief, not Banjo.

If you ever played games outside the smash series you would immediately understand why wii-fit trainer is playable, why nintendogs is an assist trophy, why dr kawashima is an assist trophy and why robin is in the game. Sakurai tries to add everyting into the game. If not possible as a fighter, assist trophy, stage, boss or item will do as well. Even though the gematsu leak said it wouold be chrom and people pretended gematsu leak was the bible, it wouldn't make too much sense to add chrom over robin who is one of the protagonists in FE Awakening. Not everyone was expecting Mewtwo. Maybe you were. I wanted Mewtwo.
I was expecting a new pokemon rep. Probably from the new games as they have been doing for a while now. I was losing hope for Mewtwo.

The only trend in sakurai's retro characters are the era they are from, but that is understandable as that's the era where most milestones were created for gaming in general.

You can't tell me that after seeing mr Game and watch and Ice climbers your first thought was: ROB will be playable. you know: the physical attachment on the NES.
Nobody would play Melee and say: yeah! Pit should be in hooray! don't lie to yourself.

If you really are a fan, then your comment about pichu and young link make no sense at all. Sakurai was working nonstop on melee with a tiny team and wanted to fill out the roster some more, so he decided to go with the low time cost of creating clones, just like wolf was added at the end of brawl's development time.

If you were paying attention at all you know exactly why Robin and Corrin made it in. Both of them got lucky because their games were released/being released around the time of planning the roster/DLC.
Lucina lucked out. Roy was already a veteran, highly requested in both japan and US at that.

if you don't pay attention to what Sakurai says and how he develops his games then I will close our conversation here. You clearly don't understand how he adds retro characters to pay homage, focuses on iconic characters in general and then focuses on what is trending as well as what fans demand highly.

emphasis on fanS and demand HIGHLY. so in that regard I would definitely say no to K. Rool as well as he's not trending, not an icon and not a retro symbol on the same scale as the others.
Cloud kind of had a history with Nintendo. They originally going to release FF7 for N64, but canceled due to plastic carthages, if it was made, it will take a lot of them including full motion cutsences.

A lot of people got angry after they announced Cloud saying that Smash Ballot is a joke. I don't consider the Smash Ballot a joke because I think a lot of people ask for Roy and Ryu considering youtube videos.

We don't care that much cause this type of stupid stuff will just keep happening.
Okay, I wrote all of this before I read your last part, but yes, it is because I really don't care that much. I care, but not nearly enough to do any of that. Like it's not affecting my life; it was just such a steaming pile of bull dung that my jaw is still on the floor. I just enjoy the debate; I really don't care that much. Plus, all of the things you listed wouldn't even do anything.

I wouldn't "care" if he put John Cena in the game, but I would still talk about it; it's hard to explain in words.
So why waste your and our time complaining when there's really no point in the grand scheme of things?

Cloud kind of had a history with Nintendo. They originally going to release FF7 for N64, but canceled due to plastic carthages, if it was made, it will take a lot of them including full motion cutsences.
right I forgot about that. It was the reason Square and nintendo broke apart and square joined their hip with sony.
Nintendo missed out on the breakout hit that FF7 was.

FF1-6 were good games but apparently FF7 was much much bigger. I would personally have liked cecil more, but hey: Cloud is THE JRPG character. undisputed.

So why waste your and our time complaining when there's really no point in the grand scheme of things?
Because it's so much better to them! Maybe it will somehow do something!

Seriously, these arguments are really pointless, if you don't like it,don't buy it, and leave, no one's stopping you.

Seriously, these arguments are really pointless, if you don't like it,don't buy it, and leave, no one's stopping you.
One time I had a teacher that oversaw the 6th grade class I taught English to. I hated him for good reasons: he was brash, always angry, disliked English, saw no point in my job, and tried to instill the rhetoric in the students. The students hated both me and English. So I complained about him to the other English teachers in my district, my family, and online. It got to the point my wife said she didn't actually care and, if I was so fired up about it, why don't I ask the school to remove him from the class or switch him for another teacher. I knew with him gone, the class would be a lot better and would say "Hello, Joe-sensei!" when I came in instead of giving me the birdie and screaming "**** you!!"

In the end, I actually never did anything because I actually didn't care. It was February and they would graduate in March meaning I will be done with them. So my complaining, stressing, and ******** about the class and teacher was a complete waste of time and energy.

Last edited:
One time I had a teacher that oversaw the 6th grade class I taught English to. I hated him for good reasons: he was brash, always angry, disliked English, saw no point in my job, and tried to instill the rhetoric in the students. The students hated both me and English. So I complained about him to the other English teachers in my district, my family, and online. It got to the point my wife said she didn't actually care and, if I was so fired up about it, why don't I ask the school to remove him from the class or switch him for another teacher. I knew with him gone, the class would be a lot better and would say "Hello, Joe-sensei!" when I came in instead of giving me the birdie and screaming "**** you!!"

In the end, I actually never did anything because I actually didn't care. It was February and they would graduate in March meaning I will be done with them. So my complaining, stressing, and ******** about the class and teacher was a complete waste of time and energy.
This is a perfect example on how this should be handeled. Just move on if your still going to complain, what happened happened, there isn't anything you can do otherwise. Move and accept it.

In addition, keep this statement in mind:

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!"

Because honestly no one will listen to you.

Did you give them any detentions or something?

Did you give them any detentions or something?
Detentions don't exist in Japan and I didn't have the authority to outright discipline a child. I did tell the principal who then asked the children if they did. They said no as did the teacher so....I was apparently lying and case closed.

I'm glad I'm not at that school anymore. But yeah, if you don't have interest in in acting change to something you see is a problem, it's a waste of time and pointless to complain about it on the Internet. Then act surprised when a good amount of people react negatively to your complaints. Even if there's no chance it will change, trying to do something about it is much more productive than doing nothing.

Detentions don't exist in Japan and I didn't have the authority to outright discipline a child. I did tell the principal who then asked the children if they did. They said no as did the teacher so....I was apparently lying and case closed.

I'm glad I'm not at that school anymore. But yeah, if you don't have interest in in acting change to something you see is a problem, it's a waste of time and pointless to complain about it on the Internet. Then act surprised when a good amount of people react negatively to your complaints. Even if there's no chance it will change, trying to do something about it is much more productive than doing nothing.
I see, sorry you feel that way.

At first I was defending the people complaining, but now some of you guys actually do sound like you are just *****ing about it just for the sake of *****ing about it. There isn't anything wrong with complaining about this, but you guys are complaining about it as if it would change anything, though you say you know it is pointless. Its over, no amount of complaining will give you what you want. If it were up to me this game would be drastically different in gameplay and the character roster, but it is not up to me or you. I never wanted Corrin and I never asked for Bayonetta or Cloud (Though I am still very happy they are in the game), but just about an hour after the direct I was just thinking "eh sucks Shovel Knight and Wolf are not gonna be in the game. I can live with them not being in the game". Will getting some DLC that you don't even have to buy make you not want to play the game anymore?

In addition, keep this statement in mind:

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!"

Because honestly no one will listen to you.
I honestly never agreed with that statement, many people say things that aren't "nice" but people still listen to them and they sometimes do have a good point. If I said "Hitler was a ****ing piece of **** who should burn in hell if there even is one" I think a lot of people would agree with me despite it not being a very nice thing to say about somebody.

Last edited:
At first I was defending the people complaining, but now some of you guys actually do sound like you are just *****ing about it just for the sake of *****ing about it. There isn't anything wrong with complaining about this, but you guys are complaining about it as if it would change anything, though you say you know it is pointless. Its over, no amount of complaining will give you what you want. If it were up to me this game would be drastically different in gameplay and the character roster, but it is not up to me or you. I never wanted Corrin and I never asked for Bayonetta or Cloud (Though I am still very happy they are in the game), but just about an hour after the direct I was just thinking "eh sucks Shovel Knight and Wolf are not gonna be in the game. I can live with them not being in the game). Will getting some DLC that you don't even have to buy make you not want to play the game anymore?

I honestly never agreed with that statement, many people say things that aren't "nice" but people still listen to them and they sometimes do havea good point. If I said "Hitler was a ****ing piece of **** who should burn in hell if there even is one" I think a lot of people would agree with me despite it not being a very nice thing to say about somebody.
Just consider this.
Everyone plays smash bros even though their most requested characters aren't in.
Their favorite, personal characters.
I have like:

Vaati (four swords saga)
Django (boktai)
Sabata (boktai)
Zero (megaman zero series)
Soma (castlevania)
Lloyd or Cless Irving (Tales of Symphonia/Phantasia)
Cecil (FFIV)
Hero of Light (FFI)
Squall (FFVIII)
Shantae (Half-Genie Hero)
Inklings (Splatoon)
Neku Sakuraba x Partner(The World Ends With You)
Krystal (StarFox)
Nightmare / Sophitia (Soul Calibur)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider. The originals not the crap it has become today)
Hayabusa Ryu (Ninja Gaiden)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
The Prince (Prince of Persia Sands of Time)
Altair (Assassin's Creed)

But hey, Just kick back, relax and enjoy the game

EDIT: oh snap! I forgot about a few!!

Kasumi (Dead or Alive)
Mai Shiranui (King of Fighters)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Momohime/Kisuke (Oboro Muramasa)
Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)

Last edited:
I'm actually glad there were triple the amount of third party characters in this game from Brawl. You guys seem to be missing the bigger picture here. Sure, Smash will always be about Nintendo's history, but Sakurai has been trying to please more fans by opening the doors to iconic franchises and characters outside of Nintendo. Smash has become so big, that it just makes sense to include more third party characters to represent Nintendo teaming up with other companies like Square Enix and Bandai Namco. After all, one of these companies has actually developed a Pokémon fighting game (Pokken) to appeal to old fans of one of Nintendo's most iconic series while creating a new experience.

I'm actually glad there were triple the amount of third party characters in this game from Brawl. You guys seem to be missing the bigger picture here. Sure, Smash will always be about Nintendo's history, but Sakurai has been trying to please more fans by opening the doors to iconic franchises and characters outside of Nintendo. Smash has become so big, that it just makes sense to include more third party characters to represent Nintendo teaming up with other companies like Square Enix and Bandai Namco. After all, one of these companies has actually developed a Pokémon fighting game (Pokken) to appeal to old fans of one of Nintendo's most iconic series while creating a new experience.
Namco made Smash 4 btw.
They got pacman in and yes, I guess they received the rights to make a pokemon game in return.
These are still businesses and everything comes at a price that is decided at a negotiation table :p.

Like they are ever going to afford plane tickets to Nintendo's Headquarters just to criticize them. Lol.
I honestly could but why do you even care? I wouldn't give a flying **** if they ever made another Smash game again.

Banjo is dumb because:

Alright, here we go.

His only reason for cutting the IC's was because of hardware limitations. Give me any proof of him doing so "for not serving much purpose". By your basis, ROB, G&W and Duck Hunt have no future, so shouldn't he just cut them as well? I have never heard him say "because they didn't serve much purpose". They were fully functioning in the damn game at one point in time. It was ONLY due to hardware limitations. You cannot make the IC's any different, or they would have done so. You cannot separate them; that is the whole point of the character. If there is another Smash game, and the hardware can handle them, they will 100% be back, not even as DLC, but in the defaullt game.

I'm not arguing with you on this, but I don't even think Nintendo should have to pay anything to get a 3rd party character. Almost the 3rd party should have to pay Nintendo, because they are essentially a walking advertisement.

I've played FF7, and adore it dearly; don't dog me like that man.

I could argue Banjo was much more popular in the late '90s than Bayonetta is now. I have no issue whatsoever with Bayonetta. I'm not going to speculate at all on if she actually won the ballot; I'll take their word on it. Okay, Banjo is owned by the competition directly, but Sakurai said "any video game character". The FF remake is coming out only on PS4, so what does Nintendo have to gain from that? Read this page: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/04/13/the-definitive-unused-fighters-list-in-smash/ Banjo was considered for Melee, but couldn't make it in due to "adult circumstances", said by Sakurai himself. So if we didn't have the buyout by Microsoft, he probably would have been in Melee, and still in the series to this day.

I don't know man; Pit was a trophy in Melee and he is a Sakurai character after all. I just remember not being at all personally surprised by it.

Why waste your time reading/responding to our complaining? Come on man; it goes hand in hand. You don't have to read the thread and reply, as we don't have to complain. I am personally enjoying the debate. I'm not salty about that aspect at all.

Yeah, let's include a character because they had a cancelled game on a Nintendo console...

If you don't like our complaining, you can leave as well; no one's stopping you. :) Now that is mean; telling people to leave just because you don't agree with their opinion, when they (well at least me) haven't said anything offensive.

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." - Tell me one thing I have said that was mean; we are just debating.

To be honest, I'm not all of that upset. I downloaded Cloud yesterday, ad he controls pretty satisfyingly. Not to mention that Cloud has never appeared on a Nintendo console before (even though FF VII was planned for the N64). As for Bayonetta, I'm actually excited to get her this February. As for Corrin - well, I wasn't too happy that he replaced a possible Wolf or K. Rool, but then I figured that now that everything is said and done, Sakurai's latest addition to the series was bay FAR his best.

So for all of you guys out there complaining, just shut up. At first I could understand all of you, but now it looks like your complaining for the sake of complaining. If you don't like the DLC, don't buy it. It's that simple. And if your so butt hurt about Corrin replacing Wolf or K. Rool or Daisy or whoever, think of it this way - overall, Smash 4 is the best in the series, you have to admit, and even with Corrin and Bayonetta downloaded, it's still a great game. It's certainly better than Brawl ever could be.

Also, remember this saying?

"There's always next time."

Why you people never bring that up is something I'll never understand. Now that Sakurai is leaving the next Smash game to a new developer, we're bound to get a better selection of characters. Of course, it could be the complete opposite of that, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

All I can say now is that Sakurai did an amazing job with this game, and I'm sure most of you agree with me, admit it or not.

So for all of you guys out there complaining, just shut up.
Yeesh. And we're supposed to be the bad guys?

overall, Smash 4 is the best in the series, you have to admit, and even with Corrin and Bayonetta downloaded, it's still a great game. It's certainly better than Brawl ever could be.
Melee>Sm4sh

I'm not going to argue; it's just personal preference.

Why do we have to live in a Smash world where you are only allowed to like what Sakurai does? Okay, let me go force myself to like Corrin really quick and I'll brb.

Yes, but then a lot of people would be upset and wonder why he didn't keep the Ice Climbers the way they were in Melee and Brawl. And how would it not be as taxing on 3DS? They would still be two characters.

A: That's untrue.
B: That'd be no excuse to cut them. Why do you think Game & Watch is still in since Melee?

I'm going to pretend that means that Nintendo has to pay money to third parties. Isn't it the other way around?

Explain.

That is true - I'll give you that.

Banjo is dumb because:

Do you have any idea how popular Banjo-Kazooie was among Smash fans?

So?

Why is making a deal with the competition a problem? They said they'd be happy to let Banjo-Kazooie get in if Nintendo approached them. And yes, he is iconic. More so than Bayonetta.

No.

If you ever played games outside the smash series you would immediately understand why wii-fit trainer is playable, why nintendogs is an assist trophy, why dr kawashima is an assist trophy and why robin is in the game. Sakurai tries to add everyting into the game. If not possible as a fighter, assist trophy, stage, boss or item will do as well.

How do you know that? For all we know, this could be a coinsidence.

Even though the gematsu leak said it wouold be chrom and people pretended gematsu leak was the bible, it wouldn't make too much sense to add chrom over robin who is one of the protagonists in FE Awakening. Not everyone was expecting Mewtwo. Maybe you were. I wanted Mewtwo.

Why are you giving us your life story? And nobody praised that leak like the bible. No one.

Probably so.

True. That's where WTF characters come in.

I wasn't that surprised when Pit was announced myself, though.

I could honestly care less about clones. As long as I have Dr. Mario, I'm fine.

Maybe so.

Neither do you.

K. Rool is demanded highly.
Yeesh. And we're supposed to be the bad guys?

No, I didn't mean EVERYONE was complaining.

Melee>Sm4sh

I'm not going to argue; it's just personal preference.

Why do we have to live in a Smash world where you are only allowed to like what Sakurai does? Okay, let me go force myself to like Corrin really quick and I'll brb.

I jist said that I MYSELF like Corrin and Boyonetta, not EVERYONE. Sakurai made a smart move putting them as DLC because I'm pretty sure he knew people would be upset, so those who didn't like them didn't have to download them. Not that it helps settle the rage that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly could but why do you even care? I wouldn't give a flying **** if they ever made another Smash game again.

Alright, here we go.

His only reason for cutting the IC's was because of hardware limitations. Give me any proof of him doing so "for not serving much purpose". By your basis, ROB, G&W and Duck Hunt have no future, so shouldn't he just cut them as well? I have never heard him say "because they didn't serve much purpose". They were fully functioning in the damn game at one point in time. It was ONLY due to hardware limitations. You cannot make the IC's any different, or they would have done so. You cannot separate them; that is the whole point of the character. If there is another Smash game, and the hardware can handle them, they will 100% be back, not even as DLC, but in the defaullt game.

I'm not arguing with you on this, but I don't even think Nintendo should have to pay anything to get a 3rd party character. Almost the 3rd party should have to pay Nintendo, because they are essentially a walking advertisement.

I could argue Banjo was much more popular in the late '90s than Bayonetta is now. I have no issue whatsoever with Bayonetta. I'm not going to speculate at all on if she actually won the ballot; I'll take their word on it. Okay, Banjo is owned by the competition directly, but Sakurai said "any video game character". The FF remake is coming out only on PS4, so what does Nintendo have to gain from that? Read this page: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/04/13/the-definitive-unused-fighters-list-in-smash/ Banjo was considered for Melee, but couldn't make it in due to "adult circumstances", said by Sakurai himself. So if we didn't have the buyout by Microsoft, he probably would have been in Melee, and still in the series to this day.

I don't know man; Pit was a trophy in Melee and he is a Sakurai character after all. I just remember not being at all personally surprised by it.

Why waste your time reading/responding to our complaining? Come on man; it goes hand in hand. You don't have to read the thread and reply, as we don't have to complain. I am personally enjoying the debate. I'm not salty about that aspect at all.

Yeah, let's include a character because they had a cancelled game on a Nintendo console...

If you don't like our complaining, you can leave as well; no one's stopping you. :) Now that is mean; telling people to leave just because you don't agree with their opinion, when they (well at least me) haven't said anything offensive.

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." - Tell me one thing I have said that was mean; we are just debating.
Dan, calm down. It's just a joke. It's also not my fault that they added a canceled game character to Smash. They claim that it was the most requested too.

Dan, calm down. It's just a joke. It's also not my fault that they added a canceled game character to Smash. They claim that it was the most requested too.
Okay, but I wouldn't doubt KingPin is actually liking your post like it is a valid point.

My favorite part of the Direct was, "We decided upon Corrin because we were talking about the new FE game". So if they were talking about the NFL they would put Aaron Rodgers in the game? Damn; why couldn't they have been talking about the good old days of the N64 and SNES...

Last edited:
Okay, but I wouldn't doubt KingPin is actually liking your post like it is a valid point.

My favorite part of the Direct was, "We decided upon Corrin because we were talking about the new FE emblem game". So if they were talking about the NFL they would put Aaron Rodgers in the game? Damn; why couldn't they have been talking about the good old days of the N64 and SNES...
Who is KingPin? Also, they added Mega Man and Pac Man, they talked about NES.

Alright, here we go.

Ironic you say this to me and then your rest of this post contradicts this, because your still complaining, so why not leave if it's not a problem to you?

Alright, here we go.

I just want to point out that this post was ****ing beautiful. You summed it all up perfectly, sir.

My favorite part of the Direct was, "We decided upon Corrin because we were talking about the new FE game". So if they were talking about the NFL they would put Aaron Rodgers in the game? Damn; why couldn't they have been talking about the good old days of the N64 and SNES...

1: trends. Banjo Kazooie is dead and anything but trending, they are out of luck and low on the priority list.
2: A character owned directly by the competition poses an issue. If you think MS was willing to give away their character for free you really know little about business. Ofcourse they would say to the public that they are willing to put Banjo in if it's upto them. Just like Kojima was on vacation.... inside konami HQ???
3: Who pays to get into smash or whether Nintendo needs to pay to get a character into smash, that depends on the parties involved and their leverage. Brawl almost didn't have sonic and got delayed when they finally were able to strike a deal to get him in. Naturally we don't know 100% what the deal entails, but I urge you to check out the reasoning behind Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games. Check the release dates, development cycles and the final delay in brawl.

also: Pit is NOT a sakurai character. After working on Brawl he decided he liked the character and wanted to reboot the series.

After playing Melee there was 0 indication Pit would become playable. If anything Sakurai has been squeeling since brawl about three characters: Little Mac, Saki Amamiya and Takamaru.

He made Mac a character probably due to punchout being revived, Saki stayed a trophy because the SIn and Punishment revival wasnt amazing and Takamaru got an assist trophy instead of just a song.

If you have issues with what I am explaining to you, please go out and seek interviews and discussions with various companies.

During Brawl's release with 3rd party options, Nintendo waited for companies to approach. Apparently none did. None we know of. We only know Nintendo approached Sega.

From the looks of it with Smash 4 it is Nintendo approaching other companies.

MamaLuigi123456 MamaLuigi123456 sadly you didn't bring any arguments to the table, so I'm sorry but you failed to rebut

Last edited:
1: trends. Banjo Kazooie is dead and anything but trending, they are out of luck and low on the priority list.
So I guess that's the reason R.O.B. returned in Smash 4 right?
2: A character owned directly by the competition poses an issue. If you think MS was willing to give away their character for free you really know little about business. Ofcourse they would say to the public that they are willing to put Banjo in if it's upto them. Just like Kojima was on vacation.... inside konami HQ???
How is it an issue? Nintendo said ANY game character, and I'm pretty sure Banjo-Kazooie counts as a game character.
3: Who pays to get into smash or whether Nintendo needs to pay to get a character into smash, that depends on the parties involved and their leverage. Brawl almost didn't have sonic and got delayed when they finally were able to strike a deal to get him in. Naturally we don't know 100% what the deal entails, but I urge you to check out the reasoning behind Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games. Check the release dates, development cycles and the final delay in brawl.
What does Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games have to do with Smash?

also: Pit is NOT a sakurai character. After working on Brawl he decided he liked the character and wanted to reboot the series.
But he is now, and that's pretty much all that matters.

After playing Melee there was 0 indication Pit would become playable. If anything Sakurai has been squeeling since brawl about three characters: Little Mac, Saki Amamiya and Takamaru.
If he was "squeeling since Brawl", all three would be playable. And yes, I know that Takamaru was not playable to to his game being released in Japan only. Just goes to show how much he "squeeled" for him, right?

He made Mac a character probably due to punchout being revived, Saki stayed a trophy because the SIn and Punishment revival wasnt amazing and Takamaru got an assist trophy instead of just a song.
Show me proof of that.

If you have issues with what I am explaining to you, please go out and seek interviews and discussions with various companies.
We're not the ones with issues. You are.

During Brawl's release with 3rd party options, Nintendo waited for companies to approach. Apparently none did. None we know of. We only know Nintendo approached Sega.
What does that have to do with anything?

From the looks of it with Smash 4 it is Nintendo approaching other companies.
Or other companies are approaching them - I'm not too sure.

MamaLuigi123456 MamaLuigi123456 sadly you didn't bring any arguments to the table, so I'm sorry but you failed to rebut
And I don't forgive you.

:D nice trolling there, but you forgot to incorporate other criteria for characters such as ROB. Too bad you don't understand how Sakurai picks characters better than a 3 year old.

You honestly can't tell me that you predicted R.O.B. after seeing Mr. Game & Watch in Melee, or Dr. Mario after seeing Mario in the original.

;) I'm glad I do hehe

I'm pretty sure you don't.
And even with that like you have, there's absolutely no way to predict what happens, especially since he's leaving Smash 5 to a new director (my prayers have been answered).

Last edited:
Top Bottom