• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Final Video Presentation Recap

What was your favorite part of the direct?

• Cloud and Midgar Stage Information

Votes: 95 12.9%
  • New Mii Costumes

Votes: 32 4.4%
  • Corrin Chooses To Smash

Votes: 184 25.0%
  • Bayonetta Gets Wicked! And New Umbra Clock Tower Stage

Votes: 424 57.7%

• Total voters
As Sakurai set to close the curtains on Smash 4, our excitements could not be contained. Whistles blew on hype trains across the world as Smash fans settled in for what was to be the final video presentation for Smash 4. We got many amazing announcement that are sure to entice. For those who have yet to watch the direct this is the final warning before we get to spoilers, so turn around now or learn what Smash 4 still has in store!

---​

Corrin, the main character from from Fire Emblem: Fates is coming to Smash! Corrin will have a male and female version of the character similar to Robin or Wii Fit Trainer. As "dragon blood runs through his veins" some of his moves will involve partial transformation. If Corrin is purchased for the Wii U version, two free songs will be included on the the Fire Emblem stages in the games from Fire Emblem Fates. Two special trophies for Fire Emblem Fates have also been added to Smash 3DS. Corrin has a hopeful release in February 2016 and is expected to cost $4.99 for the character.

Corrin Chooses To Smash!

Many details on Cloud's gameplay were explained during the presentation including the mechanics of his Limit Gauge as well as how the new stage Midgar would use 'summons' like Ifrit, Ramuh, Odin, and more! Cloud and his new stage Midgar will be coming to Smash 4 for download later today! They can be bought as a bundle for $5.99.

New Mii Costumes!

While many expected the Chocobo Mi hat after the Cloud's announcement, another character with strong ties to Square Enix and Nintendo also made his way into Smash as a costume: Super Mario RPG's Geno! This wasn't the end either as many more costumes were announced such as:
  • Knuckles (Sonic) - Mii Brawler Costume
  • Tails (Sonic) - Mii Gunner Costume
  • Bionic - Brawler
  • Ashley (Wario Ware Inc. Mega Microgame$)- Swordfighter
  • Gil - (The Tower Of Druaga) Swordfighter
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) - Swordfighter

Bayonetta comes to Smash! She was the winner of the Smash Ballot in Europe, within the top 5 in America, and was the most "realizable fighter" within the ballot. Umbra Clock Tower will be coming as Bayonetta's stage with it's own unique music as well as special trophies form the game. February 2016 is also the targeted release date for Bayonetta. All characters announced today will also have amiibos made for them as well.

Bayonetta Gets Wicked!

The full presentation with more details can be viewed here. Feel the hype Smash fans? Is that pure energy unable to be contained? Jump into the comments section below and tell us what was the best part of this direct and as always stay tuned to Smashboards for the finest in Smash news coverage

Last edited:

Comments

I dunno now that I feel better, I can honestly say im looking forward to Dragon Battles of Corrin VS charizard in midgar XD. The characters on the way do look like alot of fun.
Sides Corin fits the theme for alot of smash characters who were placed to promote upcomming or current FE games. So with teh hype for FATES on the way Corrin makes sense. Sides atleast hes different like Robin, and not just another 'sword swinging lord dude person.' no your part DRAGON and ya get to enjoy being part dragon. [until ya run full tilt into olimar and get beaten up by walking plants. or a tiny electric Rodent.]

Yo 58 characters is straight madness tho. We have a game where you can have the damn Duck Hunt dog go 1v1 with freaking Bayonetta. God I love Smash

Dude, it's over.
If it's truly over than I'll accept it... but if there's one thing I'll be bothered by it as it is it's when you put the pieces together, the Wii U CSS will have toon link being separated from his zelda reps. leaving those who read this or have OCD to never unsee this. :(

You make a good point though, DLC is over, or at least ending when Bayonetta and Corrin are released... but when you think about who is included in the first dlc character bundle (think veterans to newcomers), and how a three character bundle would not feel right to some (and the fact that a certain Wii U title comes out in February)... call me crazy, but I think there will be no more than 1 certain veteran coming out along with Corrin and Bayonetta given the circumstances in February.

TL;DR I think Wolf be announced in February (as the true last fighter, along with Chrarcter Bundle 2 being announced with Cloud, Corrin, Bayonetta, and Wolf) given that Star Fox Zero comes out by then and that in total 4 veterans and 4 newcomers would round out character DLC fairly well. Circumstantial? Totally. Does it make sense? When you think about it... yes, surprisingly.

Last edited:
Not happy about Bayonetta. Is this it for characters?

Bayonetta 2 is a commercial failure...still hasn't even pushed 1m sales yet. So it's confusing to see so many "fans" yet clearly, not many has actually bought the game.

I smell a conspiracy.

Last edited:
I am very grateful to Sakurai and the team for all they have done in crafting this beautiful game. That being said, however, I highly disagree with the character choices here. I explain why in my live reactions to the direct. If you're interested, check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8gbpEYmmEI

Whether we agree or disagree, though, we are all Smash fans, and Sakurai has given us one hell of a game.

Dear lord, how about we enjoy the Smash 4 content we already have now, rofl. I groan just thinking about another Smash game, and I'm sure the developers feel that exact same way as they wrap up the last of the DLC.
And I don't say we shouldn't do that. I said that for the people that are put off by this chain of events. It serves as consolation, perhaps, who knows. Take it as you wish, dude.

IMO, I don't mind the content we got in SM4SH as I got quite of few characters I wanted like Mac, JR., PAC-MAN and Dr. Mario back. And with these two new added, I'm alright.

Sakurai and co. need a rest after all the hard work they have gave to the game and they deserve it, no doubt. But in an industry that keeps on going with whatever product they have, this isn't the case for now until something else happens, but yeah.

I'll enjoy it, but there's always next time, for whatever it may long last though...

Personally, I think this is one of the most diverse roster to date in any Smash game. Brawl brought us all of those iconic characters we loved such as Wario, Pit, Dedede, Metaknight, Olimar, etc. Smash 4 bought us a mixture of both; new, untested characters such as Robin, Lucina, Shulk, and Greninja yet iconic ones such as Bowser Jr., Little Mac, Mega Man, Duck Hunt, and Palutena. And then finally oddball but fun choices such as Villager, WFT, and Miis.

And this game really solidified that it's not only a celebration of nintendo but also of the video game industry. Icons Megaman, Sonic, and Pac-Man fighting Mario was mind blowing already but then throw in the fighting genre's top representative, Ryu and the RPG's poster boy, Cloud. Both are highly regarded by fans. Then there's Bayonetta who is sure to see future releases and helped pave the way for more mature games to be featured on Nintendo systems. In addition, she's also an iconic hack/slash character.

This roster was extremely diversified and really put together to complement each other. Yeah, it sucks that some of our favorite characters were left out but the roster is still amazing to look at. I really enjoyed this ride. Even more so than the Brawl hype train.

It's a shame there is no way to Dislike such inane comments.
Likewise, I wish we had a dislike button to point out such petulance and self entitlement. Nice comment btw, the "anime swordsman" one, a fair way to downplay the character by undermining the rest of their features for the sake of circlejerking it under a stereotype, shining example in ignorance indeed. I assume you were going for a witty comment but suffered an IQ drop at the last minute.

Last edited:
To all those complaining about not getting K. Rool, Wolf, Snake, Shantae, whatever: Sakurai has created a fantastic game. Get over yourself and appreciate all the work he and his team to make Smash 4.
And showing his bias just because he likes Fire Emblem and dislikes Wario Land. I'm not going to slander the game not do I hate Sakurai. But this is something like Capcom would do back in their days of greed. It's just rather insulting.

I'm tired of hearing everyone complain about Fire Emblem characters. If you have ever played Fire Emblem, you would hopefully be able to understand what an amazing game series it is, and all characters from it are welcome to me. Corrin is nothing like the other Fire Emblem characters and I'm hyped for fates!

Corrin is an unusual case where (s)he was revealed long before Fates is even out in North America, and the planned release for the last batch of DLC is slated around the same month Fates is coming out in North America.

Not gonna lie, I immediately thought of Warhammer 40,000 when I saw Corrin's chainsword. Does this mean he/she is part Space Marine?

I must admit when I saw the start of Bayonetta's trailer, I thought we were getting Viridi, Hades, Medusa, or maybe even Gray Pit. I was preparing myself for the worse but was instantly hyped upon hearing her voice. It was all sunshine and puppy dogs after that.

I was also hoping at the very end of the presentation of another familiar voice...

"Can't let you do that, Sakurai"

Which would then cut into Sakurai wearing an eyepatch and paw mittens announcing Wolf's return.

In fact, I'd love to see Sakurai where articles from all of the Smash characters. Lucina's mask, Villagers t-shirt, a Shulk wig, Bowser's eyebrows, Zelda's gloves, Greninja'a tongue scarf.

D
Ultimately, Smash 4 is a primary example of quantity over quality, provided that Melee is still better.

Even though some of my hopes were dashed, I was fine with the roster once Mewtwo was announced, so I can't complain. Plus the new characters being added are pretty awesome-looking!

Man, I'm in love with Bayo, but as for that Coran guy? I understand FE has an anniversary and all, but I doubt I could call it fanservice (like Sakurai claimed that the rest of the DLC was for...)
Then again, Massivehero's always been a classic troll. At least (s)he plays cool, and the female's cute as hell.
And that Umbra Clock tower stage... hoh ****, I really hope that makes it as a legal stage.

Man, I'm in love with Bayo, but as for that Coran guy? I understand FE has an anniversary and all, but I doubt I could call it fanservice (like Sakurai claimed that the rest of the DLC was for...)
Then again, Massivehero's always been a classic troll. At least (s)he plays cool, and the female's cute as hell.
And that Umbra Clock tower stage... hoh ****, I really hope that makes it as a legal stage.
Yeah, I'm not butthurt about him either, he looks BA. But Sakurai said after the Ryu, Roy, Lucas DLC that everything else from that point was fan service. I understand there are people out there who are familiar with Corrin, but it was a move the developers made. I kindof thought that wasn't fair.

What else could I mean? Who knows if Sakurai will return to direct them but they will continue as they are a staple franchise. Corrine's inclusion was a matter of time.

Those who dislike Corrine can maybe take comfort that due to his DLC status, he may not be included in the next Smash game. Of course, you have to weather 5-10 years of waiting.
There probably won't be a next smash game in 5-10 years.

You know, in response to all the people saying "be happy that you got anything": I have dumped nearly $100.00 into this game over the year. I want what I payed for. I have no moral obligation to Sakurai. I don't give a **** if he's so "tired". This is a BUSINESS we're talking about here. WE, the consumers, pay THEM for the ability to play the game and play as the DLC characters.

I payed for this game and the extra content after release, I want the game to pay me back. So, yes, I AM upset and I have a right to be.

Bayonetta is pretty cool, and I'm glad they included a highly requested character.

What I'm unhappy about is that instead of using the ballot and creating 2 or more characters with it, they made 1 character people wanted and 1 character that no one asked for, all because they wanted to advertise FE: Fates.

I'm glad that at least a portion of Smash fans are hype about Bayonetta, and congrats to the 3 of you who asked for Corrin.

no, melee is ugly , unbalanced and will never be balanced. pm3.6 is better and smash4 is great sure there are flaws but there is more quality
This. Melee you are limited to Jigglypuff, Fox, Captain Falcon and Ice Climbers pretty much. That's not a good thing.

Tier Lists ruin games.

You know, in response to all the people saying "be happy that you got anything": I have dumped nearly $100.00 into this game over the year. I want what I payed for. I have no moral obligation to Sakurai. I don't give a **** if he's so "tired". This is a BUSINESS we're talking about here. WE, the consumers, pay THEM for the ability to play the game and play as the DLC characters.

I payed for this game and the extra content after release, I want the game to pay me back. So, yes, I AM upset and I have a right to be.
If you didn't like the characters they announced then don't bother buying the new dlc.

Posting this here as well...

I find Bayonetta's inclusion to be very suspicious. The Ballot end two months ago and they were able to obtain the rights to the character, create a stage, gather music, create a full fledged move set and a model for her? And this isn't even taking taking into account that they were also working Cloud, Midgard, mii costumes, and Corrin.
I can guarantee you that Cloud was already in the works along with Ryu. Think about it, Sakurai said at the time it would take a bit for them to work on Mewtwo and there were no other plans for DLC at the moment after his release. Then when Ryu was revealed he said that Ryu was in the works since the inception of Metwo, that could also me Cloud was always in the pipeline to begin with.

Getting Bayonetta probably wasn't to hard because Platinum games and Nintendo has a pretty good relationship and also Nintendo was the only company who considered reviving that franchise. She could have either been in the works since the beginning and if the Ballot choices were negotiable, she would have just been a non ballot fighter to release alongside the ballot winner. Just my thoughts on the whole thing.

Try to avoid going into Melee vs SSB4 if you can... Also, I seriously doubt this is the end of Smash because the franchise is simply just too big of a deal to let go. With DLC, two versions, and the Amiibos, this is by far the most profitable Smash and they were able to keep the fanbase engaged for almost a whopping three years with it. Some people are upset about it but I feel like there's signs of more to come years down the road like how the Inklings were not playable DLC.

Top Bottom