• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Final Video Presentation Recap

What was your favorite part of the direct?

• Cloud and Midgar Stage Information

Votes: 95 12.9%
  • New Mii Costumes

Votes: 32 4.4%
  • Corrin Chooses To Smash

Votes: 184 25.0%
  • Bayonetta Gets Wicked! And New Umbra Clock Tower Stage

Votes: 424 57.7%

• Total voters
As Sakurai set to close the curtains on Smash 4, our excitements could not be contained. Whistles blew on hype trains across the world as Smash fans settled in for what was to be the final video presentation for Smash 4. We got many amazing announcement that are sure to entice. For those who have yet to watch the direct this is the final warning before we get to spoilers, so turn around now or learn what Smash 4 still has in store!

---​

Corrin, the main character from from Fire Emblem: Fates is coming to Smash! Corrin will have a male and female version of the character similar to Robin or Wii Fit Trainer. As "dragon blood runs through his veins" some of his moves will involve partial transformation. If Corrin is purchased for the Wii U version, two free songs will be included on the the Fire Emblem stages in the games from Fire Emblem Fates. Two special trophies for Fire Emblem Fates have also been added to Smash 3DS. Corrin has a hopeful release in February 2016 and is expected to cost $4.99 for the character.

Corrin Chooses To Smash!

Many details on Cloud's gameplay were explained during the presentation including the mechanics of his Limit Gauge as well as how the new stage Midgar would use 'summons' like Ifrit, Ramuh, Odin, and more! Cloud and his new stage Midgar will be coming to Smash 4 for download later today! They can be bought as a bundle for $5.99.

New Mii Costumes!

While many expected the Chocobo Mi hat after the Cloud's announcement, another character with strong ties to Square Enix and Nintendo also made his way into Smash as a costume: Super Mario RPG's Geno! This wasn't the end either as many more costumes were announced such as:
  • Knuckles (Sonic) - Mii Brawler Costume
  • Tails (Sonic) - Mii Gunner Costume
  • Bionic - Brawler
  • Ashley (Wario Ware Inc. Mega Microgame$)- Swordfighter
  • Gil - (The Tower Of Druaga) Swordfighter
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) - Swordfighter

Bayonetta comes to Smash! She was the winner of the Smash Ballot in Europe, within the top 5 in America, and was the most "realizable fighter" within the ballot. Umbra Clock Tower will be coming as Bayonetta's stage with it's own unique music as well as special trophies form the game. February 2016 is also the targeted release date for Bayonetta. All characters announced today will also have amiibos made for them as well.

Bayonetta Gets Wicked!

The full presentation with more details can be viewed here. Feel the hype Smash fans? Is that pure energy unable to be contained? Jump into the comments section below and tell us what was the best part of this direct and as always stay tuned to Smashboards for the finest in Smash news coverage

Last edited:

Comments

Man, first off, sorry to all of you who's character didn't make it.

Snake, you'll always be in my heart. And in my PM games. <3

I was not happy to see Corrin. ANOTHER FE rep? I was really ticked at him until I saw how potentially awesome his moveset is, and even after seeing how unique and cool it is, I'm still not sold. Don't have any emotional attachment to him.

BAYO, though, I flipped out at! Oh my gosh, she looks amazing. All those combos, same ones from the games, the guns, her taunts, omf. I can't handle the hype. ;w;

Guess it's finally time to drop this sig.

D
Corrin was the most de-hyping thing I've ever sen in my life.

They could've f---in' announced Shrek this direct and I would still not care about the video

WOW! That is so disappointing. Of course they just HAD to add another garbage FE character nobody cares about instead of adding someone actually interesting. Oh, and I'm SURE Bayonetta was the "#1 ballot character". So disappointed.

As I predicted, the most voted-for character, King K. Rool isn't gonna be in Smash 4. I guess we just have to make do with that garbage excuse for a character: Corrin. And that so-called ballot winner Bayonetta. We ALL were just DYING for Bayonetta. Right guys?

Dang! That was a HUGE disappointment. I just can't get over it. All I can hope for is that they reconsider and add more DLC characters in the future...

For now:

I'll always love Smash 4, though. Thanks for all the hard work, Sakurai...
Stop acting like an entitled brat, you don't HAVE to buy them.

That's no excuse for creating ****ing garbage content. Freaking kids these days...
Ah at least Sakurai has balanced out his trolling of the competitive community with the biggest F YOU update of all time for casual smash players.

The Geno MII costume is the nail in the Coffin lol. Literally the most requested nintendo character (or one of the most requested) since the Brawl days.

I'm not even mad. It's cool to see sakurai screw over something other than the competitive ssb community for once.

Emperor Sakuraiiii said:
Gooood.... let the salt flow through you....

Ah at least Sakurai has balanced out his trolling of the competitive community with the biggest F YOU update of all time for casual smash players.

The Geno MII costume is the nail in the Coffin lol. Literally the most requested nintendo character (or one of the most requested) since the Brawl days.

I'm not even mad. It's cool to see sakurai screw over something other than the competitive ssb community for once.
Smash 4 is going out with a big slap to the face for any real Smash fans. It's like Sakurai said: "Hey look, guys! Everyone wants Geno, K. Rool, and Ridley. Screw them! Let's add Corrin and Bayonetta!".

Gotta love adding characters nobody gives a **** about. Amirite?

You know, I actually like Corrin, even if (s)he is another FE character, at least there are some unique things that make them stand out. Bayonetta, didn't expect, as the support seemed to die down alot during the early part of the year when the smash ballot was opened. Cloud was not that impressive, but I like the Midgar Stage, and the Finishing Touch Down Special, that was cool. Also, for those who are dissapointed about Wolf not coming back, maybe he will be a last-minute release along with the others. Since he was added to Brawl near the very end, they can just change some of his attacks, animations, etc., similar to Roy in SSB4.

Now comes the long wait of the future DLC character's amiibos...

It's funny how I can confidently say that, by the end of the video, I was more excited for the balance patch than the actual new characters. Speaking of that, it was actually quite a good balance patch. Not as many changes as I would have liked but, I'll take what I can get.

That's no excuse for creating ****ing garbage content. Freaking kids these days...
Being upset about your favorite character not making it in is understandable, but the stance you are taking in this situation is neither justified nor forgivable.

Spreading slander about the ballot results being lies by creating lies of your own doesn't give you any points either. A character that the majority happened to vote for was the one who made in, and the Smash team merely did their job by complying; it may not have been the one you were asking for and you may not like the results but it doesn't make it less true. You are acting like a child just because everyone else didn't vote for your most wanted. So if you want to point fingers, blame Europe and the rest of the world.

You know, in response to all the people saying "be happy that you got anything": I have dumped nearly $100.00 into this game over the year. I want what I payed for. I have no moral obligation to Sakurai. I don't give a **** if he's so "tired". This is a BUSINESS we're talking about here. WE, the consumers, pay THEM for the ability to play the game and play as the DLC characters.

I payed for this game and the extra content after release, I want the game to pay me back. So, yes, I AM upset and I have a right to be.
And posts like this are the epitome of self-entitlement and the cancer that plagues this community. Nobody forced your hand to give out money for this game, and you were fully aware what you were exactly getting into when you did so. You got what you paid for: the ability to access and play the full version of a finished product, meaning that the business end of the publisher was already done when they sold you the game. Then DLC happened which served as way to expand the product and provide additional support, with all the extra content being optional; in most cases the developers would simply move on to other projects instead but they chose to keep going on a game whose development cycle wrapped over a year ago. So don't even think for a moment that they owe you something more than what they originally worked for, nobody scammed you out on this deal nor promised you more than what was originally accorded. So quit being a child about it and get in touch with reality for once; you have a right to be upset but not a right to feel that they have to comply with every demand of yours.

Was dissapointed at first to see ANOTHER anime swordsman, from Fire Emblem no less, but as they doled out the mechanics, Corrin looks pretty unique and fun (if not broken).

R.I.P. Geno, can't wait to get that Bayoneta stage!
I can't stand anime swordsmen.

User was warned for this post
Being upset about your favorite character not making it in is understandable, but the stance you are taking in this situation is neither justified nor forgivable.

Spreading slander about the ballot results being lies by creating lies of your own doesn't give you any points either. A character that the majority happened to vote for was the one who made in, and the Smash team merely did their job by complying; it may not have been the one you were asking for and you may not like the results but it doesn't make it less true. You are acting like a child just because everyone else didn't vote for your most wanted. So if you want to point fingers, blame Europe and the rest of the world.

And posts like this are the epitome of self-entitlement and the cancer that plagues this community. Nobody forced your hand to give out money for this game, and you were fully aware what you were exactly getting into when you did so. You got what you paid for: the ability to access and play the full version of a finished product, meaning that the business end of the publisher was already done when they sold you the game. Then DLC happened which served as way to expand the product and provide additional support, with all the extra content being optional; in most cases the developers would simply move on to other projects instead but they chose to keep going on a game whose development cycle wrapped over a year ago. So don't even think for a moment that they owe you something more than what they originally worked for, nobody scammed you out on this deal nor promised you more than what was originally accorded. So quit being a child about it and get in touch with reality for once; you have a right to be upset but not a right to feel that they have to comply with every demand of yours.
I want the number 1 character in the ballot to get in. Not just a character in the top 5. If you're happy throwing money down the drain at a game that isn't doing anything right, then have fun. Maybe you should learn to stop sucking up to Nintendo and their garbage decisions.

You're just another one of those typical fanboy kids who can never see when their favorite developer screws up. Now stop crying and go hug your mommy or something. Whatever makes you feel better so you can stop being so butthurt about the real world.

But, on a serious note, it's stupid to just be satisfied with what they're adding currently. I mean, just the fact that they're ending DLC is silly for them and us.

Last edited:
I want the number 1 character in the ballot to get in. Not just a character in the top 5. If you're happy throwing money down the drain at a game that isn't doing anything right, then have fun. Maybe you should learn to stop sucking up to Nintendo and their garbage decisions.

You're just another one of those typical fanboy kids who can never see when their favorite developer screws up. Now stop crying and go snuggle with your mommy or something. Whatever makes you feel better so you can stop being so butthurt about the real world.
what were the 4 characters above her in the US?

F
Screw Shantae, Rayman and others. Bayonetta is BAD-ASS and she might be my new 3rd main (behind Peach and Yoshi of course...)

You're just another one of those typical fanboy kids who can never see when their favorite developer screws up. Now stop crying and go snuggle with your mommy or something. Whatever makes you feel better so you can stop being so butthurt about the real world.
Please do come up with better insults next time because being called "fanboy kid" from a man child is as scathing as getting sprinkled with springwater. You really have no higher moral standing to call out on others when you set an abysmal example of yourself in the last few hours.

Also, "throwing money down the drain" is relative. For you, characters like Bayo may mean squat but for the people who genuinely wanted her is worth their money. Ever heard about priorities? Whoever you had in mind may have meant the whole world for you but the next person may been indifferent to it. The character I voted for wasn't chosen either but I'm not gonna go out of my way to antagonize people whose choices were different from mine and being pedantic about it, you simply don't understand how to cope with the whole deal. But sure, if you lack a proper rebuttal, then you can keep thinking of me as a "fanboy" if it makes you sleep better at night.

Please do come up with better insults next time because being called "fanboy kid" from a man child is as scathing as getting sprinkled with springwater. You really have no higher moral standing to call out on others when you set an abysmal example of yourself in the last few hours.

Also, "throwing money down the drain" is relative. For you, characters like Bayo may mean squat but for the people who genuinely wanted her is worth their money. Ever heard about priorities? Whoever you had in mind may have meant the whole world for you but the next person may been indifferent to it. The character I voted for wasn't chosen either but I'm not gonna go out of my way to antagonize people whose choices were different from mine and being pedantic about it, you simply don't understand how to cope with the whole deal. But sure, if you lack a proper rebuttal, then you can keep thinking of me as a "fanboy" if it makes you sleep better at night.
Actually, "fanboy kid" is my favorite insult... :( Also, I like spring water. But LOL there were so many better options than Bayo. And, Corrin is just a ridiculous joke. I think they should release Corrin on April 1st 2016 but then when you buy him/her it's actually Wolf.

Last edited:
This. Melee you are limited to Jigglypuff, Fox, Captain Falcon and Ice Climbers pretty much. That's not a good thing.

Tier Lists ruin games.
Do you even know anything about melee? You listed 3 recently considered A tier characters and only 1 S tier. There are more characters, and people who play melee don't seem to mind their smaller character selection due to how amazing the game is. I love all the other smash games too, but don't bash on melee when you apparently don't know much about it.

Cloud in Smash is awesome and I'm excited for him and all FFVII fans. I'm also excited for Bayonetta, she's a total badass. And honestly, Corrin looks awesome too but SERIOUSLY? For real though. I thought for sure we were getting Wolf, or at least another veteran. But no, instead we get ANOTHER BLADE WIELDING FE CHARACTER. We didn't need another FE character or another swordfighter, and Corrin is both of those things. I'm not going to start a riot, but who agrees with me on that point?????

Do you even know anything about melee? You listed 3 recently considered A tier characters and only 1 S tier. There are more characters, and people who play melee don't seem to mind their smaller character selection due to how amazing the game is. I love all the other smash games too, but don't bash on melee when you apparently don't know much about it.
Ah don't even bother. Scrubs are stupid and you can't teach stupid. If they can't grasp the basic concept that tier lists do not apply to skill less salty casuals, but refer to the TOP level of the competitive scene then there's no point in explaining it to them. It's like trying to teach a 3 year old how to play chess, it's not going to happen.

Last edited:

You're just another one of those typical fanboy kids who can never see when their favorite developer screws up. Now stop crying and go hug your mommy or something. Whatever makes you feel better so you can stop being so butthurt about the real world.

But, on a serious note, it's stupid to just be satisfied with what they're adding currently. I mean, just the fact that they're ending DLC is silly for them and us.
Like it or not but Bayonetta was the number one most requested character in the ballot worldwide... if she is not your idea of a number one character in the ballot, deal with it.

Like it or not but Bayonetta was the number one most requested character in the ballot worldwide... if she is not your idea of a number one character in the ballot, deal with it.
She was in Europe. She wasn't even in the top 10 in Japan and was only top 5 in Murica. Deal with it, sucka.

She was in Europe. She wasn't even in the top 10 in Japan and was only top 5 in Murica. Deal with it, sucka.
Me deal with it? No, it is you who has to deal with the fact Bayonetta got in over your precious characters you desperately wanted.

You see Corrin shooting people with that whirlpool Final Smash? The water comes from salty fanboy tears, sucka.

Btw, Corrin uses some kind of Chainsaw Sword, can turn his arm into a Spear and can turn into a Dragon.
To those who read this, how can this just be "another swordfighter" ?..
uses some kind of Chainsaw Sword
how can this just be "another swordfighter"
Well you see, by definition, a swordfighter is a fighter, as you can tell by the name, that uses a sword.

Nothing makes me more mad than not seeing the likes of Nintendo all-star Waddle Dee not make the cut, kappa. Clearly Sakurai is biased and dumb, and takes pleasure in crushing children's hope and dreams, kappa kappa kappa. ;)

Bayonetta was 1 in the Fighter Ballot overall, guys. It's not as if nobody cared about her being in the game.

Plus, that post with the image apparently showing how Smash Bros is now 'entirely' composed of anime posters looks like straight up propaganda. So, apparently, there are absolutely no other 'types' of characters in the roster? All of those other Nintendo characters? Do they not exist in the game now? Corrin must be pretty powerful if he can do that, yo.

Bayonetta and the others' DLC content will likely sell very well, but none of you have to buy it if you don't want to.

Last edited:
Well salt was inevitable. For this direct, especially since it's the last chance people get for their characters to get in. I personally think that Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta are going to be a blast to play when they get in the game. Though only Corrin and Cloud have a chance to become my mains out of the three. Though I will say, I don't know a single person that has played any of these 3 character's games. I do want to play these games at some point though.

As for Mii fighter costumes, anytime I invite someone over they don't even use the Mii Fighter costumes especially if they are competitive at all. At least the bionic armor looks pretty darn sweet. That Gil swordfighter is close enough to shovel knight for me so yay for that I guess. The Tails and Knuckles costumes make me cringe a bit, especially the Knuckles one. I like the Takamaru costume as well. Don't really have an opinion on the Chocobo, Geno, and Ashley stuff.

Makes me sad that Wolf isn't getting into Sm4sh (he's one of my mains in Brawl and I prefer his gameplay over Fox and Falco by a long shot), but oh well, maybe in the next game he'll come back. I have so many characters I love already in Sm4sh anyways. I was hoping for Ridley to get in as well, but I didn't have a lot of hope for him in Sm4sh, so I'm hoping for Smash Bros 5 to have Ridley as one of the playable characters. Though, Smash 5 will be quite a while from now, and I want to just settle in and enjoy the characters we have now. I'm just barely getting done completing all the challenges in Sm4sh (I do play other games, and people do drag me away to do things IRL too).

Top Bottom