• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Final Video Presentation Recap

What was your favorite part of the direct?

• Cloud and Midgar Stage Information

Votes: 95 12.9%
  • New Mii Costumes

Votes: 32 4.4%
  • Corrin Chooses To Smash

Votes: 184 25.0%
  • Bayonetta Gets Wicked! And New Umbra Clock Tower Stage

Votes: 424 57.7%

• Total voters
As Sakurai set to close the curtains on Smash 4, our excitements could not be contained. Whistles blew on hype trains across the world as Smash fans settled in for what was to be the final video presentation for Smash 4. We got many amazing announcement that are sure to entice. For those who have yet to watch the direct this is the final warning before we get to spoilers, so turn around now or learn what Smash 4 still has in store!

---​

Corrin, the main character from from Fire Emblem: Fates is coming to Smash! Corrin will have a male and female version of the character similar to Robin or Wii Fit Trainer. As "dragon blood runs through his veins" some of his moves will involve partial transformation. If Corrin is purchased for the Wii U version, two free songs will be included on the the Fire Emblem stages in the games from Fire Emblem Fates. Two special trophies for Fire Emblem Fates have also been added to Smash 3DS. Corrin has a hopeful release in February 2016 and is expected to cost $4.99 for the character.

Corrin Chooses To Smash!

Many details on Cloud's gameplay were explained during the presentation including the mechanics of his Limit Gauge as well as how the new stage Midgar would use 'summons' like Ifrit, Ramuh, Odin, and more! Cloud and his new stage Midgar will be coming to Smash 4 for download later today! They can be bought as a bundle for $5.99.

New Mii Costumes!

While many expected the Chocobo Mi hat after the Cloud's announcement, another character with strong ties to Square Enix and Nintendo also made his way into Smash as a costume: Super Mario RPG's Geno! This wasn't the end either as many more costumes were announced such as:
  • Knuckles (Sonic) - Mii Brawler Costume
  • Tails (Sonic) - Mii Gunner Costume
  • Bionic - Brawler
  • Ashley (Wario Ware Inc. Mega Microgame$)- Swordfighter
  • Gil - (The Tower Of Druaga) Swordfighter
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) - Swordfighter

Bayonetta comes to Smash! She was the winner of the Smash Ballot in Europe, within the top 5 in America, and was the most "realizable fighter" within the ballot. Umbra Clock Tower will be coming as Bayonetta's stage with it's own unique music as well as special trophies form the game. February 2016 is also the targeted release date for Bayonetta. All characters announced today will also have amiibos made for them as well.

Bayonetta Gets Wicked!

The full presentation with more details can be viewed here. Feel the hype Smash fans? Is that pure energy unable to be contained? Jump into the comments section below and tell us what was the best part of this direct and as always stay tuned to Smashboards for the finest in Smash news coverage

Last edited:

Comments

I was really happy with the presentation. It was great! I actually found myself begging for the video not to end, but alas, it did. Sad times.

I can remember, back when the game was still quite early in development, getting up early in the morning and checking out the website for any new updates or pics of the day.

Now, if there was one thing that should have been included was the final Smash Ballot results. I want to see the names of the different characters everybody voted for. Maybe that'll all be shown some time soon in the future? Who knows.

As for the characters, well, I've never heard of Corrin, but his moves look really cool. That's the good thing about Smash: you're introduced to new characters and franchises through their inclusion. I expected many people to be angry at the inclusion of another Fire Emblem sword user, but Sakurai is clearly fond of the franchise, and if he wants to put in loads of characters from it, he can.

I really didn't expect Bayonetta to be included. I mean, they're not even trying to cover up the fact that she straight up uses guns. I guess the rules about what weaponry characters can and can't use are more relaxed now (I wonder what kind of moves Snake would have been given now). Bayonetta is also well known for pretty much having been created to be video game sex appeal incarnate or something like that, so I thought that would have also lessened her chances of showing up. But nope! Her mannerisms are just as flirty and suggestive as in her own series. Overall, her special moves and combos look stylish and cool, so it's great to see her in Smash Bros..

I don't care how many people call corrin a "generic anime swordfighter"
I'm bloody ecstatic to see him in smash.

It's a shame people are probably gonna start hating on Fire Emblem now because their precious K. Rool or Wolf didn't get in.

I've literally been holding out on wolf since the day this game was announced, how in the world was that an unreasonable request? Why did Sakurai abandon all of the Wolf mains?

That Direct was full of surprises. Never would I expect Corrin or Bayonetta in Smash!

Anyways, I would like to give my thanks to Sakurai and his team for all the hard work he committed for Smash Wii U & 3DS.

I don't care how many people call corrin a "generic anime swordfighter"
I'm bloody ecstatic to see him in smash.

It's a shame people are probably gonna start hating on Fire Emblem now because their precious K. Rool or Wolf didn't get in.
Please, do enlighten me how people shouldn't have had their hopes up at all to expect Wolf or even K. Rool over a 6th FE character.

Last edited:
Btw, Corrin uses some kind of Chainsaw Sword, can turn his arm into a Spear and can turn into a Dragon.
To those who read this, how can this just be "another swordfighter" ?..

To all those complaining about not getting K. Rool, Wolf, Snake, Shantae, whatever: Sakurai has created a fantastic game. Get over yourself and appreciate all the work he and his team to make Smash 4.
I hate comments like this. Yes, I am incredibly salty atm. Yes, Sakurai and his team did a monumental amount of work on this game, but no, I do not have to appreciate it if I don't like it. It's just my personal opinion. Mind you I haven't watched all of the Direct (incase there's something else in there), but that's just from viewing the bullet points.

So everyone should just force themselves to like it if they don't?

I was really happy with the presentation. It was great! I actually found myself begging for the video not to end, but alas, it did. Sad times.

I can remember, back when the game was still quite early in development, getting up early in the morning and checking out the website for any new updates or pics of the day.

Now, if there was one thing that should have been included was the final Smash Ballot results. I want to see the names of the different characters everybody voted for. Maybe that'll all be shown some time soon in the future? Who knows.

As for the characters, well, I've never heard of Corrin, but his moves look really cool. That's the good thing about Smash: you're introduced to new characters and franchises through their inclusion. I expected many people to be angry at the inclusion of another Fire Emblem sword user, but Sakurai is clearly fond of the franchise, and if he wants to put in loads of characters from it, he can.

I really didn't expect Bayonetta to be included. I mean, they're not even trying to cover up the fact that she straight up uses guns. I guess the rules about what weaponry characters can and can't use are more relaxed now (I wonder what kind of moves Snake would have been given now). Bayonetta is also well known for pretty much having been created to be video game sex appeal incarnate or something like that, so I thought that would have also lessened her chances of showing up. But nope! Her mannerisms are just as flirty and suggestive as in her own series. Overall, her special moves and combos look stylish and cool, so it's great to see her in Smash Bros..
I actually was'nt finished reading your post! Keep writing!

Great ending...even though some characters did not get in, enough did in the end.
Very happy to see Corrin, as I secretly wished for his inclusion long ago.
Bayonetta...? Eh....if that's what the world wants?

I'm pretty upset that we didn't even get a Federation Marine Mii Gunner costume. "Metroid? What's that? Hmmmm...."

*SIGH...*

I'm surprised that even King K. Rool didn't make it considering the widespread support he had going for him. I also was hoping that we got costume DLC for the main cast as well.
Anyways, despite my disappointment, I'll admit that Cloud and Bayonetta look pretty cool. I'm a bit mixed on Corrin, but he/she still looks pretty interesting. I'll probably get Cloud and Bayonetta though, as they look pretty fun to play with.
I just wish that Metroid got more love for once. I'm really sad about that, but I was kind of expecting this at the same time...

All this aside, I still do genuinely appreciate all the effort that Sakurai and the Smash team have put into this! They've really put together a solid, well done game.

To be honest: While I ADORE Sakurai's work, and while I'm SUPER thankful for him even taking time to make DLCs at all... this was pretty disappointing to me. That guy from Fire Emblem... really? ANOTHER Fire Emblem rep? It has more reps than the friggin POKEMON series (if I'm not wrong). Not to mention that most of the world has no friggin' idea who this guy is. Yet he gets in instead of so many other popular choices I've seen around on massive fan polls, like K Rool who would add more than TWO reps from a series like Donkey Kong...

No returning characters, either. And no returning Stage. I'm very happy that we're even getting these 3 characters to add to the roster, but in all honest - I'm more hyped for the balance patch than this :\

Wolf was such an easy add. If they had plans for Corrine, than they should have skipped out on Roy.

I mean I love Roy (was my Melee main as a kid). But Wolf should without a doubt be in this game.

My reactions in a nutshell
Corrin: Eh. (Shrugs)
Bayonetta: DAYUMMMM!!!
Other: Blast it! Why wasn't Isaac (Golden Sun) the winner?! Oh well, I suspose he'll get his chance another day... or game...
Other: I wonder why Clouds english audio wasn't shown. And to those complaining about Corrin, it could've been worse, we could've gotten another Mario rep or something. And props to Anthony Del Rio for still being able to do Pit's voice after along time.

Last edited:
That was incredibly unhype. Bayonetta was kinda cool. But Another damned Fire emblem character, with another damned sword? They shoulda named the game Nintendo Vs. Fire Emblem

I don't see why everyone is ******** here. Corrin is going to be in a Smash game regardless. Either now or in SSB5. So wouldn't it be better to get him/her into the game sooner rather than later?

D
[deleting]

Last edited by a moderator:
Bayo-freakin-netta!!!!! In the words of Bayonetta 2, "Not even a GOD could see that coming."

Jubileus the creator has graced us. Let's dance, boys!!!!

I am so hyped. We finally got a female DLC character, and she's from one of the greatest action game series of all time. Yes!!!!! This is a time to celebrate, fellow Smashers. The only salt worth producing is tears of joy lol.

Last edited:
Super Fire Emblem Bros.
Super anime swordsmen bros.
Super advertisement bros.

This **** makes Playstation All Stars look sincere lol. Love how Bayonetta gets witch time but Shulk, who can see the future, gets another dam counter move.

ah well. At least Bayonetta is kinda cool.

Last edited:
Look. Here's the important bit, guys. See how Bayonetta's stage had angels that weren't attacking in the background? That **** might be tourney legal. Just stop for a second and imagine what that's gonna look like in tourney.

My salt for Wolf not returning has seriously been washed away by the hype for these new characters. I have nothing else to say, I drowing in hype.

Geno would never appear in Smash in any form, they said. Geno was too obscure, they said. There was no way Geno would appear if Mallow didn't, they said. There was a million Square Enix characters that'd appear before Geno, they said. It's been 15 years since I started seriously supporting Geno and SMRPG representation in Smash and I am so goddamn smug right now I could explode. Not to mention, I ended up getting 9 of my 10 most wanted characters as either a playable character or a Mii costume (thanks to the Geno, Ashley, and Takamaru costumes) so I'm pretty peachy right now.

My ballot character did not get in (rip). But I'm not even mad that direct was hype. Bayonetta looks sick! Wasn't too keen on Corrin at first cause he was another FE character, but when I saw how he played I changed my tune. He looks really cool, looking forward to trying him out.

That Knuckles Mii was awful though lmao.

Last edited:
There are only 8 Sword Characters out of the total of 58 characters, quit the salt, okay? Plus Geno fans finally have him in the game in some form. I was already satisfied with the starting roster and all of these announcements were a plus to me. I just want to thank Sakurai and his team for creating an awesome game to play for next 5-6 years before the next entry is released. I know Sakurai can't and won't stay away from this game, this is his baby and I don't think he want to see this franchise fall apart if he isn't around.

THANK YOU!

Notice how Sakurai and his team made use of the latest in generic-anime-sword-fighter-making technology. Just look at that beautiful design. That unique counter. NOTHING like a counter has ever been done before. And especially not with that magnificent beauty.

LOL. Every moment I think about Corrin, I just want to puke even more/harder.

Of course I'm a little salty, but this game is the definitive smash for me and I'm incredibly grateful. But low-key salty. Not like a saltine cracker, where you know how salty it is, but like a cup of noodles where you cant really tell unless you look at the nutrition facts.

Fire emblem fanboys: stop complaining.
Yet they complain about their characters not getting enough buffs. Screw them honestly.

Top Bottom