• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Final Video Presentation Recap

What was your favorite part of the direct?

• Cloud and Midgar Stage Information

Votes: 95 12.9%
  • New Mii Costumes

Votes: 32 4.4%
  • Corrin Chooses To Smash

Votes: 184 25.0%
  • Bayonetta Gets Wicked! And New Umbra Clock Tower Stage

Votes: 424 57.7%

• Total voters
As Sakurai set to close the curtains on Smash 4, our excitements could not be contained. Whistles blew on hype trains across the world as Smash fans settled in for what was to be the final video presentation for Smash 4. We got many amazing announcement that are sure to entice. For those who have yet to watch the direct this is the final warning before we get to spoilers, so turn around now or learn what Smash 4 still has in store!

---​

Corrin, the main character from from Fire Emblem: Fates is coming to Smash! Corrin will have a male and female version of the character similar to Robin or Wii Fit Trainer. As "dragon blood runs through his veins" some of his moves will involve partial transformation. If Corrin is purchased for the Wii U version, two free songs will be included on the the Fire Emblem stages in the games from Fire Emblem Fates. Two special trophies for Fire Emblem Fates have also been added to Smash 3DS. Corrin has a hopeful release in February 2016 and is expected to cost $4.99 for the character.

Corrin Chooses To Smash!

Many details on Cloud's gameplay were explained during the presentation including the mechanics of his Limit Gauge as well as how the new stage Midgar would use 'summons' like Ifrit, Ramuh, Odin, and more! Cloud and his new stage Midgar will be coming to Smash 4 for download later today! They can be bought as a bundle for $5.99.

New Mii Costumes!

While many expected the Chocobo Mi hat after the Cloud's announcement, another character with strong ties to Square Enix and Nintendo also made his way into Smash as a costume: Super Mario RPG's Geno! This wasn't the end either as many more costumes were announced such as:
  • Knuckles (Sonic) - Mii Brawler Costume
  • Tails (Sonic) - Mii Gunner Costume
  • Bionic - Brawler
  • Ashley (Wario Ware Inc. Mega Microgame$)- Swordfighter
  • Gil - (The Tower Of Druaga) Swordfighter
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) - Swordfighter

Bayonetta comes to Smash! She was the winner of the Smash Ballot in Europe, within the top 5 in America, and was the most "realizable fighter" within the ballot. Umbra Clock Tower will be coming as Bayonetta's stage with it's own unique music as well as special trophies form the game. February 2016 is also the targeted release date for Bayonetta. All characters announced today will also have amiibos made for them as well.

Bayonetta Gets Wicked!

The full presentation with more details can be viewed here. Feel the hype Smash fans? Is that pure energy unable to be contained? Jump into the comments section below and tell us what was the best part of this direct and as always stay tuned to Smashboards for the finest in Smash news coverage

Last edited:

Comments

I can safely say that I legitimately voted for Corrin and even though they weren't the ballot winner I still got my wish come true (that was the most hypest thing for me in this trailer to be perfectly honest). I'm also very hyped for Bayonetta and even though I never thought of her I am still happy for those who voted for her. Let me get out of here before the salt mines explode even more.

The hype train literally crashed into the sun. I am burnt. We should've aimed for the heavens. Time for a new conductor.

D
WHERE IS WOLF. I am MAJORLY pissed off that Wolf was not brought back. He is the ONLY veteran character who was cut without a single valid reason. How in the world does it make sense to give us Lucas, Roy, and even friggen Dr. Mario, three other semi-clone veterans, but not Wolf? This is a majorly disappointing, puzzling, and frankly stupid decision. I just don't understand it. Really, I don't, and I think Sakurai needs to at least provide us with an explanation.

I will say that Bayonetta looks awesome, if not a bit too complex for my tastes. Corrin...eh, he's pretty pretty cool but there were more deserving characters from games that had fewer representatives.

But please, seriously, Where. Is. Wolf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whole Smash Direct was hype.

Cloud surprised me.

Bayonetta I don't know about since I haven't played her game, but people were literally saying she had ZERO chance to debut in smash. Her move set looks pretty interesting so far.

Pretty hyped for Corrin too, even though there are too many fire emblem reps. I like what I seen, so I'll test this character out. Definitely looking forward to that.

Really, Daddy Sakurai has surprised us once again. No bull**** leaks this time. I didn't get my most wanted in, but that's okay. You can tell that just by their move sets that Sakurai has put ALOT of effort into them.

They're unique and thats what matters to me in the end. Definitely plan on getting those three.

RIP Shrek and Michael Jackson for DLC

You will always be remembered... *sobs*

Seriously guys, there's so much salt here it could give a guy hypernatremia(hue hue). Think about it. King K Rool : main villain of a game that came out 10-20 years ago; Unknown to most people and mainly popular in the US. Dixie Kong : female DK rep but really bland as a character. Inkling : game barely came out! Issac : also an unknown. Wolf : side villain of a really old game. Snake : third party character. Geno : side character that only appears in a single game. Look, I'm also guilty of this. When people told me Shrek, Michael Jackson, and Edward Elric weren't options for DLC, it broke my heart. :( At least we got Little Mac, Villager, Mega Man, Pac Man, Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, Mewtwo, Shulk, Robin, Lucina, Greninja, Bayonetta, Mii Fighters, Bowser Jr, and MEGA MAN(SUPAA FIHTING ROBOT). Oh, did you forget about all those great inclusions?

D
You know what I'm happy Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta are great choices! K Rool., Inklings, Shovel Knoght, Wolf, yes I wanted in but it's okay there's always hope for the future one day maybe I can main K. Rool and Inklings and Shovel Knight alongside Mario and Link maybe in Smash 5. It's definitely a reason but the NX and the next Smash for me! But you know this was a great addition to Smash. These entres made me a permanent fan of the series, Super Smash Bros for Wii U is my favourite Super Smash Bros. and Nintendo Wii U Game, and I have characters I won't give up till they arrive in Smash K. Rool, Inklings, Ridley ECT. Masahiro Sakurai is one of my favourite game developers now after all the hard-work he's done on all his games! He 's done great and to him I say thank you now hopefully he can get a break!

I never saw Bayonetta coming, but I'm happy she got in.
Corrin I could care less about, as she makes for the 14th sword fighter in the game, but I think that, like Robin, they will bring something more unique than the other FE chars and will be some semblance of their own char and not a Marth rehash.

I hate comments like this. Yes, I am incredibly salty atm. Yes, Sakurai and his team did a monumental amount of work on this game, but no, I do not have to appreciate it if I don't like it. It's just my personal opinion. Mind you I haven't watched all of the Direct (incase there's something else in there), but that's just from viewing the bullet points.

So everyone should just force themselves to like it if they don't?
I never said anyone had to force themselves to LIKE it, just to realize that their opinion isn't THE opinion. I didn't vote for Bayonetta (I voted for Isaac, actually), but apparently she's #1 in Europe and Top 5 in the US. Sakurai and his team did their best to appeal to as many Smash fans they could, and apparently Bayonetta was the fan favorite (albeit a predominantly European one).

I'm going to be real here: I don't care about ANY of those characters revealed. But those 2 were unpredictable as HELLLLLL! For me, atleast. :ohwell:

Also, calm yourselves down, for those of you who are salty than the Atlantic Ocean! At least we got some new DLC characters. Their not the "OMG HYPE" type characters (Except for Bayonetta for most of you), but they weren't the worst picks either. No need to start being so ungrateful.
Those people really should calm down.

First, let me say how surprised I am that Bayonetta got in, but that leaves me wondering why Snake couldn't have been included, too. I'm excited to try out Bayonetta AND Cloud, but it feels a little disappointing that Snake got cut. I'm sure there are many more reasons that Snake couldn't be included, but the biggest complaint I heard was his use of GUNS, and how it would make Smash 4 rated T, rather than E10, so it feels like a bit of a contradiction overall. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to hear this news, but it just leaves a lot of questions for me.

Man when I saw they put in yet ANOTHER Fire Emblem character I made the hugest eye roll I could muster.... than I saw Corrin's moves and I guess my salt levels dropped just because of how unique he is.

But HOT DAMN! Bayonnetta made everything right with me and Based Troll God Sakurai!

Seriously. Best. New. Challenger. Poster. Hands. Down.

And OMG thankyou for making her a combo character and allowing her to play like she does in her game with links and combo extensions and witch time. My only regret is she doesn't use more weapons...

BUT STILL THE HYPE IS SO REAL RIGHT NOW!

Geno would never appear in Smash in any form, they said. Geno was too obscure, they said. There was no way Geno would appear if Mallow didn't, they said. There was a million Square Enix characters that'd appear before Geno, they said. It's been 15 years since I started seriously supporting Geno and SMRPG representation in Smash and I am so goddamn smug right now I could explode. Not to mention, I ended up getting 9 of my 10 most wanted characters as either a playable character or a Mii costume (thanks to the Geno, Ashley, and Takamaru costumes) so I'm pretty peachy right now.
Congratulations on finally getting Geno in Smash... even if it is a Mii costume. :)

Also awesome how Ashley and Takamaru are Mii costumes too!!

Interesting how King K. Rool, Toad, Geno, and Ashley are the only Marioverse characters to get in as Mii costumes. I guess these four are the top 4 most wanted Marioverse characters now.

so that was the top reasonable vote in the ballot

i now hate every other gamer in the world
Don't hate the player... hate sakurai for his enormous amount of bias that made Corrin (the 2nd fire emblem character and only 1st party newcomer) the only really interesting newcomer besides Ryu!

To all those complaining about not getting K. Rool, Wolf, Snake, Shantae, whatever: Sakurai has created a fantastic game. Get over yourself and appreciate all the work he and his team to make Smash 4.
What constitutes a "fantastic game" is subjective. People are allowed to disagree with what you think. This trend of people demanding others feel grateful for content made by a corporation solely to produce money is confusing to me. But they're doing something right if they have so many perfect consumers like you accepting anything they make and defending it against all criticism.
Look. Here's the important bit, guys. See how Bayonetta's stage had angels that weren't attacking in the background? That **** might be tourney legal. Just stop for a second and imagine what that's gonna look like in tourney.
There is no way that will be tourney legal, kid

Masahiro Sakruai: "From here on out, everything will be fan service."

Everything this guy does is so unpredictable. It's like he purposely won't give us B&K, Shantae or Shovel Knight (who I wasn't even a big supporter of, but he would've been better than these characters), just because they're expected. He would give us a walking turd if only popular characters were left.

Don't even give us that Geno Mii costume bullcrap. Don't give us that K. Rool bullcrap; you aren't pleasing any of their fans by doing that; just spitting in their faces is all.

This is kind of wild to talk about, but I wonder if Bayonetta appealed to Sakurai's wild perversion. First Zero Suit bikini outfit, now this. A game marketed toward children?

I am not mad about these specific characters, I am mad because a so-called "fan service poll" was complete bullcrap.

I will beat up a small child or a manchild equivalent to get that Bayo amiibo.

She will be OP in comp amiibo play as she spams that witch time to set me up for easy smashes.

OMG!!! Bayonetta is officially in?!?! I am too freakin' hyped for words! Excuse me while I drink Red Bull and coffee, as that will actually calm my hype!

Okay, I never actually watched the Direct but just read the bullet points, but watching in now and if Bayonetta was indeed #1 worldwide, then I am completely fine with that.

Here's something that irks me. Out of the 21 newcomers for Smash Wii U, 17 were human/humanoid characters. Now some people are probably like "wtf are you talking about/why would you care", but to me, it would've been refreshing to someone like K. Rool or Banjo-Kazooie instead of Corrin.

I'm honestly just surprised that Wolf didn't make it in. Not dissappointed at all, just surprised.

These two seem to be fun additions to the roster so I'm hype.

Also, I am laughing at all the haters in this comment section. Cry more, it'll solve everything.

Probably the most depressing **** I've ever seen in my life. 30 minutes of my life I'm never getting back. Sakurai again with the fire emblem bias. Who tf is korrin? This is bs. I thought there was 6 spots left? Plz don't watch this ****ty presentation. Just another generic fire emblem sworduser with a counter. I can see why meleers call this tr4sh now.

Completely agree with you, all of the dreams of my childhood nostalgia being reborn was completely ripped and torn away from me.

AMAZING!
I am happy to see all three of these characters get in! but don't we already have enough Fire Emblem characters? lol

Personally, I'm looking most forward to playing Bayonetta.(Soon to be another top-tier waifu perhaps...?)

Wow, so many Fire Emblem haters on here. Sure, there are 6 reps now, but I don't even care because Fire Emblem is my favorite game series of all time. As soon as I saw that opening to the direct, I knew millions of fans were crying out with rage, while I just sat in my chair like ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

As for Bayonetta, I don't think anyone has any reason to get salty over her. I have no idea who she is or what her games are about, but she looks fantastic, and come on guys - she won the popularity vote fair and square.

Also as soon as I saw the Tails and Knuckles costumes I could feel the souls of Sega fans crying out in anguish... Sorry guys, I would've liked to see Tails join too.

I realize that Banjo-Kazooie didn't reach the most voted and I understood that this would be very unlikely regardless. But why don't they just add them in instead of like Corrin or something? They tried to have him as the 9th character in Smash64, does it not make sense after all this time that they could just bring him back for Tr4sh? At least for the veteran fans of nintendo of the 2000's y not do this for us? But I understand, since now most of the fanbase and outspoken community are children who never had such glorious and nostalgic childhood. They didn't get to experience for the first time Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Banjo-Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie, or even the original Super Smash Bros. for N64!!!

-Sakurai you have forsaken our generation. The generation made Nintendo's classics our gods.

Corrin:
- One hand turns into a giant lance for long range smashes (with a tipper, no less).
- Other hand turns into a gaping maw filled with teeth.
- Said gaping maw can also shoot a paralyzing laser.
- Wields what is basically a chainsword from Warhammer.
- Sprouts dragon wings, which can be used for some impromptu horizontal recovery.
- Can impale other fighters.
- Has a counter that hits on both sides and launches vertically.
- Still gets called a "generic anime swordsmen."

Y'know, it is fine if you don't like Corrin, or think Fire Emblem is over exposed, or had other characters you'd rather see. We all have opinions, and that's what makes our world go round, everything would be so much more boring if we all agreed on everything. But seriously, COME ON people! Is "generic" really the only insult some people are capable of using?

I didn't really liked Corrin and Bayonetta when I first saw them. I had a whole list of characters I'd rather saw (like most of the smash community).
But you guys, you have to admit.. Those movesets looked pretty darn awesome. I may not like the characters, but damn I'm in love with their movesets.

And also.. Possibly a tourney legal stage?? That's awesome for the entire community! Not just the ones that main the new characters.
(Oh and not to forget. You can walljump now off of Kalos' walls)

Can't wait for february

Why is everyone insisting that Geno fans are salty? I love the fact he got some recognition in decades. He is the first and only reason I'll use a mii character.

A
A N
A N I
A N I M
A N I M E
A N I M E S
A N I M E S W
A N I M E S W O
A N I M E S W O R
A N I M E S W O R D S
A N I M E S W O R D S M
A N I M E S W O R D S M A
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T H
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T H C
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T H C O
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T H C O U
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T H C O U N
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T H C O U N T
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T H C O U N T E
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T H C O U N T E R
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T H C O U N T E
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T H C O U N T
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T H C O U N
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T H C O U
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T H C O
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T H C
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T H
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W I T
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N W
A N I M E S W O R D S M A N
A N I M E S W O R D S M A
A N I M E S W O R D S M
A N I M E S W O R D S
A N I M E S W O R
A N I M E S W O
A N I M E S W
A N I M E S
A N I M E
A N I M
A N I
A N
A

10/10 game there Sakurai, managed to really end things with a fizzle and sputter. Glad I don't play this anymore.

Masahiro Sakruai: "From here on out, everything will be fan service."
If anything, that was probably the hint to these recent characters choices. Not like I care though. I think Bayonetta was a sober choice after that random Cloud appearance.

Does anyone have the High Quality wallpaper image of Corrin and Cloud?
I sure would love those to my collection. Also i loved the Direct!
Not sure how i feel on Bayonetta.

I'm feeling seriously conflicted over Bayonetta... On one hand, her moveset looks amazing, especially Witch Time and Infernal Climax, but, on the other hand, I'd much prefer Wonder-Red. I'm trying to enjoy Bayonetta based on her own merit, but it's not easy. I won't deny that she's a good inclusion, however. She's a nice fit for Smash. Her games are lots fun, as well.

Also, to everyone saying that Corrin was included because of Sakurai's bias, I think there's something you should consider. I'll repost what I said on a different thread.
I said:
...I think it's important to realize why Fire Emblem has so many reps. It's not that Sakurai is biased or whatever, but simply that Fire Emblem got very lucky. Awakening was a brand-new, very popular game at the time that Smash 4's development started, which helped Robin get in and more than likely influenced Lucina's transformation from an alternate costume into a full-on clone, Roy was a popular veteran who was easy to implement as a semi-clone via DLC, and Fates is in a similar boat to Awakening in Japan and is simultaneously being hyped up for its international release next year, which influenced Corrin's inclusion. All of that, and then the mainstays of Marth and Ike. Fire Emblem just had everything going for it when it came time to choose veterans, newcomers, and DLC characters alike; it's as simple as that. I highly doubt Sakurai's purely theoretical "bias" influenced much of anything, at least, not to any measurable extent.
Plus, Corrin looks like an all-around cool, original inclusion. I can't wait to use him! Definitely the highlight of the Direct for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom