• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Final Video Presentation Recap

What was your favorite part of the direct?

• Cloud and Midgar Stage Information

Votes: 95 12.9%
  • New Mii Costumes

Votes: 32 4.4%
  • Corrin Chooses To Smash

Votes: 184 25.0%
  • Bayonetta Gets Wicked! And New Umbra Clock Tower Stage

Votes: 424 57.7%

• Total voters
As Sakurai set to close the curtains on Smash 4, our excitements could not be contained. Whistles blew on hype trains across the world as Smash fans settled in for what was to be the final video presentation for Smash 4. We got many amazing announcement that are sure to entice. For those who have yet to watch the direct this is the final warning before we get to spoilers, so turn around now or learn what Smash 4 still has in store!

---​

Corrin, the main character from from Fire Emblem: Fates is coming to Smash! Corrin will have a male and female version of the character similar to Robin or Wii Fit Trainer. As "dragon blood runs through his veins" some of his moves will involve partial transformation. If Corrin is purchased for the Wii U version, two free songs will be included on the the Fire Emblem stages in the games from Fire Emblem Fates. Two special trophies for Fire Emblem Fates have also been added to Smash 3DS. Corrin has a hopeful release in February 2016 and is expected to cost $4.99 for the character.

Corrin Chooses To Smash!

Many details on Cloud's gameplay were explained during the presentation including the mechanics of his Limit Gauge as well as how the new stage Midgar would use 'summons' like Ifrit, Ramuh, Odin, and more! Cloud and his new stage Midgar will be coming to Smash 4 for download later today! They can be bought as a bundle for $5.99.

New Mii Costumes!

While many expected the Chocobo Mi hat after the Cloud's announcement, another character with strong ties to Square Enix and Nintendo also made his way into Smash as a costume: Super Mario RPG's Geno! This wasn't the end either as many more costumes were announced such as:
  • Knuckles (Sonic) - Mii Brawler Costume
  • Tails (Sonic) - Mii Gunner Costume
  • Bionic - Brawler
  • Ashley (Wario Ware Inc. Mega Microgame$)- Swordfighter
  • Gil - (The Tower Of Druaga) Swordfighter
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) - Swordfighter

Bayonetta comes to Smash! She was the winner of the Smash Ballot in Europe, within the top 5 in America, and was the most "realizable fighter" within the ballot. Umbra Clock Tower will be coming as Bayonetta's stage with it's own unique music as well as special trophies form the game. February 2016 is also the targeted release date for Bayonetta. All characters announced today will also have amiibos made for them as well.

Bayonetta Gets Wicked!

The full presentation with more details can be viewed here. Feel the hype Smash fans? Is that pure energy unable to be contained? Jump into the comments section below and tell us what was the best part of this direct and as always stay tuned to Smashboards for the finest in Smash news coverage

Last edited:

Comments

It's like Sakurai saw all of my sjw salt at how sexist ZSS is and how she kills everyone for free and was like

Last edited:
This was honestly a huge disappointment. The moment I saw Corrin, I knew this was going to suck. I'm calling some BS on Bayonetta winning the ballot. While her inclusion is meh to me and I respect her fans, the fact that she beat out some really top contenders just seems off. Also Sakurai mentioned that "characters from previous smash games" were in the top 5 for the ballot in NA.
Corrin is by far the biggest disappointment ever in smash. It really makes no sense why Fire Emblem got 2 DLC characters this round. We got no Nintendo newcomer other than Corrin. I kind of want a new director who'll give us Wolf and Ice Climbers back as well as give us Krool and Ridley. I'm done with smash 4, and I really hope someone finishes that dev leak of Project M so I can play a game that's fun.

I give this direct an F for Failure.

I really don't get all the Corrin hate :| (And no I am not a FE fanboy, I haven'T even played 1 FE game in my life)
-mimimi another swordfighter (say that ale the fighters that fight using their fist or feet) his specials are unique and he doesn't really uses his sword for everything...
-mimimi another FE rep. Yes I would have liked characters liek banjo more too but having the choice of corrin,Wolf,K. Rool, I would take Corrin. I don't get the K. Rool hype and wolf is basically another semi clone and not a completly new character.
-mimimi I'm salty Corrin is ****. Deal with it...

I won't comment anymore and jsut enjoy the flamewar now *puts out popcorn*

I'm calling some BS on Bayonetta winning the ballot. While her inclusion is meh to me and I respect her fans, the fact that she beat out some really top contenders just seems off
This is what I've been saying all along! I never heard she was even CLOSE to being a top contender. Plus K. Rool and Ridley crushed the rest of the ballot characters. In fact, they were nearly unanimous. The fact that Bayonetta got in over them is just disgusting. What a gigantic disappointment...

With those three being the ballot winners... congratulations to their fans! Cloud, Corrine and Bayonetta all look fun and unique, I can't wait til they get released. And to those that aren't happy about the choices, try them out when they're released, you might change your mind!

Last edited:
I will admit I was a little disappointed that Wolf nor Snake did not make it back but I was already prepared for this so it's all good for me.

Other than that, besides Cloud, which I'm waiting tomorrow to download him, I'm also excited for both Corrin and Bayonetta in Smash. Shame we gotta wait until February for those two to come out.

There isbspace
Probably the most depressing **** I've ever seen in my life. 30 minutes of my life I'm never getting back. Sakurai again with the fire emblem bias. Who tf is korrin? This is bs. I thought there was 6 spots left? Plz don't watch this ****ty presentation. Just another generic fire emblem sworduser with a counter. I can see why meleers call this tr4sh now.
There is space for 6 more on the 3ds roster screen, but we've known for a while that it would only be 3 more chars when the past update was datamined.

Anyway.

Stay Salty. I can't wait for February.

Worst direct ever. Lucas and Roy made it in, but not Wolf? Come on!! Oh, and please, don't get me ever started on Corrin and especially Bayonetta. Terrible additions if you ask me!

Recycled piece of DLC. Hugely disappointed!

This is what I've been saying all along! I never heard she was even CLOSE to being a top contender. Plus K. Rool and Ridley crushed the rest of the ballot characters. In fact, they were nearly unanimous. The fact that Bayonetta got in over them is just disgusting. What a gigantic disappointment...
Ridley is already in the game as a boss so that already ruled him out. Sad but that's the hand he has been dealt. Nintendo/Sakurai doesn't care about King K. Rool enough to include him and regulated him as an outfit. Yes, they may have been the top voted but that doesn't automatically give them a spot as DLC.

So happy to see that Fire Emblem: Fates got a rep, takes me back to the Melee days when Roy was an unknown gem. It also just goes to show that there are NO patterns ever when it comes to Smash characters over time.

What a journey this has been. Development is finally nearing a close. Incredibly happy over the amount of unique characters we've gotten than veterans, and even then the few veterans left out aren't that terribly notable, though they will be missed.

What was the point of the ballot tho? The online is still laggy af. Sakurai you're getting too old for this. No offense but plz retire and let someone else direct smash.

Corrin was actually one of the characters I voted for in the ballot. Sure he/she's no Snake, but the moment that Fates cutscene popped up, I was all like "AWW **** HERE COMES THE FACE-RUBBING DRAGONLORD!".

Bayonetta was the biggest surprise no doubt. I remember people saying she was too M-rated to be a character. Boy how wrong we all were about the outcome of this presentation.

The Mii outfits don't interest me too much. Then again, I never was interested in them to begin with.

Can't wait to download em all!

Another Fire Emblem character? Are you kidding me?! Great so....DK, Zelda, and Star Fox are again left out...this DLC is meh. bayonetta I'm sure will do fine in the roster but I'm looking for to Smash NX now for a couple reasons. Seeing how K. Rool, Ashley, and Geno got Mii costumes. Tells me they're aware of their popularity and have a great chance in being in th next smash. So that's my takeaway.

Lmao Corrin's Trailer was so ungodly cheesy and stupid I just couldn't help but love it. It's hilarious, and the "Big brother is now big sister!" line+ the getting crap past the radar line right after just killed me... I had to pause the video.

And as a note to everybody here, do keep in mind Sakurai's statement about industry trends, that's pretty much the entire reason Corrin got in. I don't blame those for being upset, but him/her getting in wasn't that surprising, imo. I'm personally excited for him/her regardless.

Bayonetta looks cool too. I'll likely try her sometime, although I'll probably stick to Dark Pit. The reactions from the fans who all thought it'd be another Kid Icarus character were hilarious though. Man Sakurai knows how to play his fans...

Can't believe I made a smashboards account just because of this trailer. Sakurai worked his magic. :c

Last edited:
My hopes were pretty unrealistic, so disappointment was inevitable. Still, dragon robin looks pretty cool despite being another anime sword guy/gurl. Not too hyped for bayonetta, but i only got hyped for cloud after playing ff7 so she'll probably grow on me too.

Worst direct ever. Lucas and Roy made it in, but not Wolf? Come on!! Oh, and please, don't get me ever started on Corrin and especially Bayonetta. Terrible additions if you ask me!

Recycled piece of DLC. Hugely disappointed!
But the only recycled ones are Roy and Lucas. Oops, did I say that outloud?

Corrin is going to be trash tier, cause dragons cant touch faries :4jigglypuff:
Speaking of tiers, I'm calling it now! Bayonetta will soon become the new Brawl Meta-Knight or the Sm4sh Diddy Kong pre Mewtwo patch.

All hail our Umbran Witch mistress as the new overlord of the competitive smash community! :p

I am ok with these reveals, moreso than Cloud's shocking reveal, which took me awhile to get over.

So now Fire Emblem ties Pokemon for being the 2nd most represented series in the character department after Mario. Not that that really matters, as Corrin actually looks pretty cool. I especially like his counter being able to hit both sides of him.

Bayonetta being revealed to be the ballot winner definitely surprised me, but she also made me excited. I can't wait to try her out this February.

Another Fire Emblem character? Are you kidding me?! Great so....DK, Zelda, and Star Fox are again left out...this DLC is meh. bayonetta I'm sure will do fine in the roster but I'm looking for to Smash NX now for a couple reasons. Seeing how K. Rool, Ashley, and Geno got Mii costumes. Tells me they're aware of their popularity and have a great chance in being in th next smash. So that's my takeaway.
Yeah, Sakurai also mentioned that characters from previous smash games were in the NA top 5. Wolf and Snake come to mind. I can see why Snake didn't work out, but Wolf?

Probably the release of Corrin was my so-so about this presentation. It's not that I dislike him at all (I always went with whoever was released) it's just that they added another FE character to the mix. His fighting presentation seems unique though and I hope it was done pretty well.

Never played the Bayonetta series though but her inclusion to the series caught me off guard and she looks sick! Defiantly don't mind her being in Smash 4.

I was disappointed that there's yet ANOTHER Fire Emblem character. Don't get me wrong the games are great, it's just that it is NOT the series that comes to mind when saying ''Nintendo''. When you say Nintendo for like 80% of people, it's Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda or Pokémon.
How did Fire Emblem get more representation than Donkey Kong?... You know, their 4th most popular series (Unless what I'm saying is outdated than please correct me without cutting me to pieces)
It's Sakurai's bias towards the Fire Emblem series. Of all the characters he could've picked, he chose that one guy/girl from Fire Emblem (almost) no one knows.
The Mii costumes of other plausible characters are just insult to injury from my perspective...

It still baffles me that the Metroid and the Donkey Kong series are being ingnored once more. Hell, there's not even a Mii costume Federation Force related for the Mii Gunner!

I'm going to be real here: I don't care about ANY of those characters revealed. But those 2 were unpredictable as HELLLLLL! For me, atleast. :ohwell:

Also, calm yourselves down, for those of you who are salty than the Atlantic Ocean! At least we got some new DLC characters. Their not the "OMG HYPE" type characters (Except for Bayonetta for most of you), but they weren't the worst picks either. No need to start being so ungrateful.

Last edited:
where does one hear about that info? through polls consisting of 5000 voters (out of the millions who own smash)? also a HUGE oversight in all of this is picked a "REALIZABLE" character. meaning if they cant gain rights for characters or the character are already in the game as something other then characters or theyre veterens who were taken out because of hardware, they werent considered. enjoy bayonetta or enjoy the salt. either way its not sakurai's problem anymore.....

Speaking of tiers, I'm calling it now! Bayonetta will soon become the new Brawl Meta-Knight or the Sm4sh Diddy Kong pre Mewtwo patch.

All hail our Umbran Witch mistress as the new overlord of the competitive smash community! :p
I'm thinking more like Ryu: relatively difficult to use but insane combo potential once mastered.
And top tier.

I am disappointed by the overall announced content. Only two new characters and a stage and some Mii costumes (not counting music and trophies). I do understand the budget constraints they had but it definitely feels jarring when you consider all of the content they announced in the 18 minute Ryu Direct.

That being said, Corrin and Bayonetta are awesome looking fighters that look unique and fun to play.

However I use the word "fighters" for a reason.

Bayonetta is fine and a deserving winner of the ballot. She looks like she was ripped right out of her games. Looks very fun to play (but I wonder if she'll be a bit OP in 1v1).

Corrin though...the game just isn't out internationally and it's not like Lucas where people begged for his game to come out internationally, showing a clear love for the character. Corrin isn't beloved or an all-star of any description at the current time.

I think this is another case of what I felt when Greninja was revealed - the timing is awful. If Corrin was announced in a standard Nintendo Direct or in the same manner Robin was, I would be fine with it.

Instead, Corrin, a fairly bog standard anime swordsman looking character who is barely known yet, was the follow-up to Cloud, literally one of the most iconic gaming characters out there and THE anime swordsman to boot.

Cloud and Corrin should have had their reveals switched.

Tbh the most disappointing thing to come out of DLC. Sure, the characters look fun and unique, but WHY?! WHY, when there are so many other deserving characters to take their spots?! I'm not even a fan of King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Geno, or Snake or whatever. Personally, I wanted either Krystal, Wolf, Sora, or Banjo-Kazooie. I'm neither a huge Starfox fan nor a huge Banjo-Kazooie fan, but they would have been nice characters to have in. Really, Sakurai? I'm sorry, I am disappointed in you. (And yes, it sounds like I'm being mean, because I'm angry right now. Sakurai made an amazing game, but...so much wasted potential.)

I'm honestly indifferent to all of this because I don't really play smash 4 much, but I just want to say that this Smash Direct was WAAAYY over hyped.

To many people were expecting too much and making crazy assumptions; and it is no surprise that there are so many people salty and upset.

Last edited:
I agree that people, come on, don't over hype things or else you get upset and disappointed. (I admit I live by the low expectations, no disappointments.)

But all seriously, the game has SO MUCH CONTENT. There is no way to support all the requested characters. It's just not going to happen. I do like the addition to some mii costumes to give props to some series and whatnot.

All in all, Sak and his team have done an amazing job, really. Kudos.

Top Bottom