• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword SPOILERS Thread (SPOILERS I TELL YA)

etecoon

Smash Hero
I've been kicking around the idea of Zelda atheism for a while now but I think I'm going to finally come out and say it

The triforce isn't magical, it's a piece of technology

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Speaking of the triforce, I've said this before - I find that the idea of granting wishes is more powerful than when it does grant the wishes. What I'm trying to say is maybe it's not as powerful as the myth has you believe. Take a look at the course of action taken when Link finally acquires it - drops the mother****ing island on Demise. If it was as powerful as it is in legend, it should have done it without having to do that. Basically, Demise should have just disappeared. :glare:
Yeah, I was kinda thinking the Triforce would let out some kind of energy that would disintegrate Demise......or something like that. Also, so since Zelda is Hylia, is every single Zelda that comes after her technically Hylia as well except each Zelda has no knowledge that she is Hylia?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
More or less.

Now that they've introduced that kind of mechanic, it would be interesting in future Zelda games to see Hylia and her memories awaken within Zelda of that game, or for Ganondorf to have a confrontation within himself and the spirit of Demise and his hatred attempting to consume Ganondorf.

There's a lot of room for interesting character development.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I think Ganondorf already overcame Demise, Ganondorf is born from the essence of Demise's hatred but GANON specifically is the one that keeps being reincarnated after that

Another interesting thing about the triforce is that even possessing the full triforce LTTP Ganon is defeated and really doesn't seem to be that empowered compared to other Ganon's. The Triforce of Power enables him to transform into Ganon but we also see that he can do that through other means like the Trident. We see the triforce drop an island on Demise and reset the events of LTTP, which might be some kind of time travel shenanigans, while it does possess power it seems as if the extent of it's omnipotence is overstated...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I've been kicking around the idea of Zelda atheism for a while now but I think I'm going to finally come out and say it

The triforce isn't magical, it's a piece of technology

I'm impressed. But I think they'll continue with the 3 goddesses. But there now is an extra Goddess added... What kinda role will she (Hylia) have in the series?? Will she just not be mentioned, or will she, in a different fashion where Zelda has to remember her powers / memories of old yet again? This alone makes me wanna have a game combined with the elements of Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time. Also in between the time lines of both games,mand also featuring time travelling between Young and Adult Link. Sounds lame! Well, I'd take lame over more creativitiy at this point. Safe that for Mario.

Technology answering prayers needs a pretty damn good excuse to work as well.

:phone:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I think they'll only incorporate the goddess in the SS prequel (yes, there will be a prequel) and any games taking place in early Hyrule (pre-MC time).

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
I think they'll only incorporate the goddess in the SS prequel (yes, there will be a prequel) and any games taking place in early Hyrule (pre-MC time).
Do you say this because of Zelda's history of making prequels to every game, or because you have a strong hunch, or is it something else? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The reason I'm saying there will be a prequel is because in OoT and TP, they mentioned this hero of old. SS comes and turns out to be the hero of old. Then in SS, we hear of an OLDER hero of old. That's just where I'm getting it from.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
The reason I'm saying there will be a prequel is because in OoT and TP, they mentioned this hero of old. SS comes and turns out to be the hero of old. Then in SS, we hear of an OLDER hero of old. That's just where I'm getting it from.
Lol, they keep going farther back.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Is there even a hero of old in SS? Haven't seen it myself.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
We know that there was another hero, the Goddess's Champion I think might have been the terminology.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Nope. It's a different person.

Zelda Wiki said:
The ceremony takes place on the hands of the Statue of the Goddess. During the ceremony, Zelda plays the role of the Goddess Hylia and Link, the winner, plays the role of the of the Goddess's Hero. Zelda gives Link the Sailcloth as a prize which symbolizes the sailcloth that the Goddess gave to the Hero. At the conclusion of the ceremony, the Hero is supposed to dive off the statue and land inside a circle on the ground. However, instead of Link jumping off, Zelda pushes Link off of the statue.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ohhh that. Yeah, makes sense then.

Also, what if we would get a game in between the time traveling between the ancient past and recent time in Skyward Sword? I think it could work. Characters from Skyward Sword itself could make appearances to, most likely Impa, the Imprisoned and maybe even Ghirahim, or his evil twin? Remember, Ganon had two swords in OOT after all.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Kinda makes me wonder if that was an unresolved thread that they forgot to change, it contradicts Demises statement that back in the Goddesses time no human would stand against him

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Or that Sailcloth thing was just 'according to legend' and serves as nothing but an excuse for Zelda to hand it over to Link.

Or: she made it up herself. :smirk:

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Kinda makes me wonder if that was an unresolved thread that they forgot to change, it contradicts Demises statement that back in the Goddesses time no human would stand against him
This would be a good question to ask one of the mailbags on the Zelda sites

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Ohhh that. Yeah, makes sense then.

Also, what if we would get a game in between the time traveling between the ancient past and recent time in Skyward Sword? I think it could work. Characters from Skyward Sword itself could make appearances to, most likely Impa, the Imprisoned and maybe even Ghirahim, or his evil twin? Remember, Ganon had two swords in OOT after all.

If that happened, it would need to be before the earliest time when SS Link went back in time, or it would cause some plot issues, mainly Impa having selective amnesia.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How so? Impa died when SS Link came back from the past to the present time in SS. If some plothole would be created, causing a DOUBLE of Link to be created by Time Warping. One to leave to the future, the other to fight for a whole new cause in the ancient past. Perhaps to cause a whole new point of continuation in the time line even?

I'd like that really. And it gives them an excuse to use Impa again :awesome:

Maybe you'll get to fight the "true form" of Demise's beast form pre being the Imprisoned as well, which could also look somehow like an ancient beefed up mix between OOT Ganon, TP beast Ganon and the Imprisoned.

I'd like this honestly.

etecoon

Smash Hero
SS' time travel is already contrived and makes no sense, it's probably better that they leave that whole period alone...

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
^agreed, so many pot holes if you really look. Although I do like the idea of time travel if it was more like OoT, 2 worlds, but actions in the past directly effected the lay out of the future. However, they've done it enough and I think it's time to move on in a different direction entirely. No more cell-shading, although SS was actually really cool, and no I don't have to see a super dark art style either. TBH I want them to revisit sidescrolling on the DS with muramasa art style. that's just me though..but I think I'm about done with motion controls, or I would at least enjoy a break for awhile. What about you guys, did it really mean that much to you? I think maybe if it was just used for combat and less gimmicks(like boss keys) it would be alright in the long term.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
They could make that game I suggested to be like the Majora's Mask to Skyward Sword, causing a double plotline on purpose. I don't think they'll gonna keep on going to do their best to keep with a timeline strictly connected with the older games as OOT and WW anyway. So they might as well connect them all with Skyward Sword, and cause a double ending with this 'sequel' on purpose as to give the series an actual fresh start again.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No I mean: Skyward Sword would be the only thing connected to the old time line, as this new time line would basically start fresh with a whole new Hyrule, making anything possible again.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
3 time lines is already more than I wanted. Although I'm sure some 15 years down the road they'll make a fourth due to laziness of making things connect.

etecoon

Smash Hero
OoT was what, 98?

At the rate they're going the fourth timeline will come up waaaay sooner than that ._.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I started out by saying 5 years but then I figured it'd be at least 10 before we get another big story changer...then I changed that to 15 for the sake of being hopeful.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
3 time lines is already more than I wanted. Although I'm sure some 15 years down the road they'll make a fourth due to laziness of making things connect.
I agree with this, we don't need a 4th branch of the timeline to make it look more messy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But......why?
Because not all games should have to have a connection to older games as OOT>WW, OOT>MM>TP just because they where there before. I don't' expect much more fanservice regarding to story elements to that. Nintendo isn't like that. They make a Zelda game, and then make it fit in somewhere in the timeline. Not the other way around. They even said themselves that it would be a lot easier for them if the fans would just say: We don't care about timelines, just gimme new Zelda games. (more or less)

So yeah, I don't really expect them trying to connect to the timelines all that much anymore. Surely old elements will come back as characters, places, items and whatever, but I don't expect them trying to fit everything into OOT, MM and WW again.

And thats why I want them to do it consiously.

etecoon

Smash Hero
it'd make sense, my favorite explanation for it is that it's literally a bunch of oral legends. this also accounts for the inconsistencies that arise with different directors, just like an oral tradition will change with it's story tellers, zelda will keep changing as new people put their own spin on it

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Are you trying to suggest there SHOULDN'T be an attempted coherent timeline?
This is the way the games are created. A timeline was only released to appease spergy nerds. It's extremely obvious how little thought the storywriters put into the interconnectedness of the games even on a basic literal plot level whenever you play any of them.

Hell, it's one of the biggest appeals of the series for me, personally.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I think that was true up until OoT/MM, or the Miyamoto era. I think under Aonuma there has been a lot more of an attempt to tie the games together. Personally I think the series was better off before that

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
This is the way the games are created. A timeline was only released to appease spergy nerds. It's extremely obvious how little thought the storywriters put into the interconnectedness of the games even on a basic literal plot level whenever you play any of them.

Hell, it's one of the biggest appeals of the series for me, personally.
Well yeah, but we're at a point now where we know there's an established storyline. So if they were to just go against that, it'd be ridiculous.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Their method of creating an "established storyline" was to finally just say

"all those games you grew up with? yeah, they're just kind of a crazy what if scenario"

But they can't change it now, that would be ridiculous.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Are you trying to suggest there SHOULDN'T be an attempted coherent timeline?
If Skyward Sword is the best they can do outside of direct sequels like Majoras Mask and Phantom Hourglass, yes. Most definitely. Even MM->TP doesn't make that much sense. I'd just rather have them do an attempt to start over.

Speaking of... Skyward Sword was supposed to be the best Zelda ever, or the series maybe would get cancelled right?

Top Bottom