• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword SPOILERS Thread (SPOILERS I TELL YA)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
If Skyward Sword is the best they can do outside of direct sequels like Majoras Mask and Phantom Hourglass, yes. Most definitely. Even MM->TP doesn't make that much sense. I'd just rather have them do an attempt to start over.

Speaking of... Skyward Sword was supposed to be the best Zelda ever, or the series maybe would get cancelled right?

:phone:
Why should MM->TP make sense? They don't have any connections.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
A gigantic cash cow but I'm glad their not beating it like a dead horse with a sequel every year.
That might be a good idea at this point. Alot of the game design choices in SS seem like Nintendo was completely unaware of game development trends in the five years between TP and SS.

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
Honestly ss was like a mild fart passing by my face. Im so relieved i havn't played majoras mask, like damn im so lucky to have that game saved up for me right now

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Your post goes well with your avatar. I liked SS but it had its issues. The story was sub par, you didn't know what the villains motive was until you find out he was a submissive to his dominatrix master. Fighting that black monster thing 3 times was boring and didn't seem to be anything like his final form. final boss sucked and it was missing a lot of the magic, mostly because it didn't have any town to go to or real areas to explore rather than Sky Loft.

On the other hand Sky Loft obviously had a lot of work put into it and was done really well. There was a good bit to explore there, it was large and had a great atmosphere.

Of course in terms of exploring the rest f the world, there wasn't much. They gave you the whole sky to roam and there we're only really 3 islands worth going to and a few with chests that required some sort of thought besides landing and opening. That sucked and made getting hearts and money waaaaay to easy.

I've probably said all this, SS was good. I'd put it near the bottom of my list for Zelda games but it still had great design compared to the vast majority of games. Would like to see Nintendo take a look at Arkham City's world for ideas though, it didn't quite have that magic or familiarity that it needed to remember where things are but it was just amazingly fun to explore and felt good when you found stuff.

MM is amazing though, I mean...I'd say its the best game ever if it weren't for a few issues that a modern remake could easily fix. Skull Kid is great and the untold story about Majora rivals something out of a Valve game. Its dark by being too bright and so amazingly stylized, again it was ahead of its time and games today still haven't caught up. I suggest though that when you do get to the end, you get all the masks saving the couples one for last, the atmosphere that side quest creates is perfect for the end, so sombre and a great way to pump you up, especially because of where it leaves when you get the mask. I don't want to spoil it but don't be afraid to google how to get that mask because you will not get it on your own on your first playthrough and though people like to brag about beating the game with out Firece Deity, it just makes for such a perfect end game. Go play MM....NOW!

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Slightly off topic, but I was playing P:M and realized that skyloft looks a lot like outset island from WW.

Or is it just me? > _ >

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
Most part of the game is designed for 9 yearolds and there were just too much hints and yeah easy money easy everything, ATLEAST they could spare us some known zelda music cept for the lullaby, but yeah if you have played ss and u didnt like it as much, go play A link to the past and Majoras mask, i have a feeling they are in the same class as oot, i also didn't read what u wrote of MM cept for the end that i should play it, being afraid of any kind of spoilers xD not saying u did spoil anything..lol

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I tried to avoid spoilers and just say...get every mask if it takes a walkthrough to do it

and this isn't a spoiler really but choose to avoid it if you want. Save one called the couples mask for last since its the longest side quest that will take up two 3 day cycles but will literally move you.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Most part of the game is designed for 9 yearolds and there were just too much hints and yeah easy money easy everything, ATLEAST they could spare us some known zelda music cept for the lullaby, but yeah if you have played ss and u didnt like it as much, go play A link to the past and Majoras mask, i have a feeling they are in the same class as oot, i also didn't read what u wrote of MM cept for the end that i should play it, being afraid of any kind of spoilers xD not saying u did spoil anything..lol
I was like 7 when I played LTTP and I didn't feel like it needed a Fi like character, SS' insulting difficulty and uninvited hints aren't even childish, they're just objectively bad game design no matter who you're making the game for.

that being said I still think SS got a lot of other things right and aside from the game trying to play itself I think the series should be back on track now, it did much more of what LTTP/OoT/MM/LA did for me than either of the gamecube games did

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
There was the moment when you have to refight the scorpion boss which I thought was cool, it showed that you we're more powerful and skilled with the controls as well. Then I thought about it. It didn't show me that, it showed me that this game was getting easier as I went along.

When I found out they were starting my off with 6 hearts I thought, 'cool, this might be challenging', and it was. I died 3 times at a freaking SKULLTULA! Then twice at the scorpion boss...then never again. Not even once did I use a potion during the final boss fight. Those 3 extra hearts were wasted possible side missions and honestly, having to hit everything a very specific way got annoying when it didn't respond to me correctly. The same could have been achieved with a controller by hitting the sitck into one of the directional notches and pressing A. They didn't give me control of the sword, they made use of the same directions things could be cut since OoT and replacing it with motion controls instead of allowing me to move the sword in any direction and trying to hit the sweetspot.

Just me venting on how it could have been a great game. It was still quite good, but it sort of fizzled out after I got 17 hearts and explored every inch of skyloft and the bosses dropped like flies.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
The bosses in SS were all pretty bad, except for Koloktos and Ghirahim's 3rd fight. I hated the Imprisoned (WHY DID I HAVE TO DO THAT THREE TIMES?!), and the second Ghirahim fight was the most disappointing boss fight in any Zelda game I've played.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I enjoyed the atmosphere of the Demise fight, though it was unfortunately too easy and short, that latter description surprising for how boss fights usually transpire in Zelda games, including just games in general.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Given that the game tried to expand itself in terms of landscape, I personally thought it failed because not only was the land barren or "empty" (especially the sky), but I thought there was nothing that was truly inviting to make you go explore. Like no hidden paths, secrets, caves, etc. Granted Zelda has never had a surplus in that, but I thought SS lacked way more than others.

With the next Zelda expected to be on Wii U, I hope they take a page from some of the top quality sandbox games such as Dark/Demon's Souls or Assassin's Creed in creating an environment that can be both lively yet inviting to explore. For example, if you're in town, it'd be nice to have the bustling streets, while you can still talk to key NPCs and what not. When you're exploring the forest, perhaps a shortcut, alternate route, or maybe altogether a path that leads to another part of the game.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Given that the game tried to expand itself in terms of landscape, I personally thought it failed because not only was the land barren or "empty" (especially the sky), but I thought there was nothing that was truly inviting to make you go explore. Like no hidden paths, secrets, caves, etc. Granted Zelda has never had a surplus in that, but I thought SS lacked way more than others.

With the next Zelda expected to be on Wii U, I hope they take a page from some of the top quality sandbox games such as Dark/Demon's Souls or Assassin's Creed in creating an environment that can be both lively yet inviting to explore. For example, if you're in town, it'd be nice to have the bustling streets, while you can still talk to key NPCs and what not. When you're exploring the forest, perhaps a shortcut, alternate route, or maybe altogether a path that leads to another part of the game.
Castle Town in TP was pretty awesome in that regard, they should bring that back. Skyloft felt so dead to me.

The one thing that would make Zelda super awesome is the one thing that will never happen: more options for Link. One of the reasons that those other games work so well is that you can get great items for straying off the main path. In Zelda though, it's THE MASTER SWORD. THE END. Even if there were optional dungeons and secret caves, all we're getting is heart pieces and rupees for the effort (MM has been the best exception to this, with the rewards actually being pretty awesome). At this point, I'm not even sure they could add items to be found outside of the main dungeon. SS completely gutted the item system in Zelda to place the focus on sword combat, so that most items just became puzzle tools instead of weapons. There'd have to be a big step back from swordplay to make the other items combat relevant.

I'm really starting to dislike Zelda lore, because it curtails so many options in game design. I think what's holding Zelda back is Zelda itself: its unrelenting adherence to the story of the franchise. I mean, all right "The Sword of Evil's Bane" or whatever, but in the modern gaming world where technology makes so much more possible, it's kind of absurd that we're trudging along with pretty much the exact same sword the entire game. Why shouldn't Link be fully customizable, with different weapons, equipment and costumes? Upgradeable armor, weapons, maybe even a spell casting/magic system where Link learns spells? I thought the whole point of Link being a silent protagonist was for him to be an extension of the player. And not the lame upgrade system in SS, a deep upgrade system with branching options where actual cost/benefit analysis can happen. There was no reason NOT to upgrade your beetle or bow in SS, and the upgrade options were linear and severely limited, so it felt more like a chore to gather all that stuff than an opportunity. The differences between shields was a good initial step in offering choices between equipment, but even that was negated by the holy shields.

The focus on "The Hero" (which didn't exist before OoT) has really stunted the possibilities in the Zelda franchise. Now, to be Link, you must have the Master Sword, the Hero's Tunic, and the Hero's shield. I'd gladly give up all the lore if we could get some variety in future Zeldas. I'm not saying turn the game into The Elder Scrolls: Hyrule, but it seems like Nintendo doesn't even consider other possibilities for Zelda games.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I think what's holding Zelda back is Zelda itself: its unrelenting adherence to the story of the franchise. I mean, all right "The Sword of Evil's Bane" or whatever, but in the modern gaming world where technology makes so much more possible, it's kind of absurd that we're trudging along with pretty much the exact same sword the entire game. Why shouldn't Link be fully customizable, with different weapons, equipment and costumes? Upgradeable armor, weapons, maybe even a spell casting/magic system where Link learns spells?
and this wasn't even the franchise lore during it's best run(LTTP-MM), up until WW the master sword wasn't the end of the road, starting in WW you just get the master sword halfway or sooner through the game and you have less upgrades for everything else too

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Exactly, you could upgrade your sword in LttP and MM, and there was the Biggoron Sword in OoT. Also, LttP had extra items that weren't necessary to complete the game, like the Invisibility Cloak, the bug catching net and the Gold Medallions (although I think one was necessary to open a dungeon in the Dark World).

For all the great things it did, OoT made lore critical to the Zelda franchise, and I really wish it hadn't.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I wouldn't want to stray too far from the formula, but I will admit, being able to wield that giant halberd item in that one SS boss fight was pretty cool. I can just imagine having the options for Link to wield a halberd, spear, or even a two handed sword. Combine that with the motion+ controls, and you might be onto something.

I also agree, I was the first to criticize the upgrading system, when all the critics/gamers seem to praise it. It was a nice inclusion, btu they could have easily done so much more. It's like Nintendo is sticking a carrot out in front of us, and everytime we get close, they yank it away.

And I also never got the concept of Link being an extension of one's self in later games. I remember posting an argument about how "I do not want to rescue this person" or "Why can't I do this first?"

Link is his own character, one that happens to be a silent protagonist.

I still think Zelda's lore has plenty of possibilities and ability to interact with the current story of "x" game. It's just a matter of hiring the right studio, writers, etc. for that to happen.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I'm fine with the Master Sword as is, maybe it shouldn't come into play until later to allow for more emphasis on non-sword combat. In OoT it was pretty much the sword but there were certain times where blocking, bombs or bow and arrow were necessary. SS had a whip and did nothing with it but pull levers you couldn't reach, it'd be awesome to have different options for different enemies to be taken down quicker.

I always thought it'd be cool to have a Sheik spin off game just because she's to agile and flexible and the use of needles, the chain and dagger/hand to hand combat could be really amazing. These 3 items can replace bow n arrow and hookshot by having the same effect but actually being used quickly and fludily in combat for combos and takedowns.

Again, I'd like Nintendo to take a look at Arkham City, the city itself had many issues, everything looked samey till you got close so your map was needed and there was no need to take in the view since you just flew from mission to mission, but the amount of exploration and how well the combat was done as well as how well the actual maps were formed around the idea of combat and the use of the different items and different options. Sheik could pull of stealth in the same way and be as acrobatic as AC characters making for some vertical exploration which is always good compared to looking at flat land. Sheik or a Sheikah Link (which I think the group project was doing)

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
How did my brain not make that connection
I know right? When I read that, I was like "Oh my god! How come I didn't notice that?"

Anyways, the hardest boss for me was the statue thing that had six arms and pulled itself out of the ground. That was such an exciting battle to me, but was kinda easy when I replayed it when going after the Hylian Shield. Demise had to be second hardest to me, cause it wasn't really that hard to figure out when to shield. One major change that would seriously benefit would be to turn off Fi! She was so annoying, plus I would like to have an online mode for that game. Might be hard to find out what you could do in online mode, but it would turn Fi into WiFi (badumtsss)

Top Bottom