• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skill Levels; What do you guys think?? Rate 'em.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Above post is exactly what im saying. Except that the first 15 pages were somewhat intelligent, then all that stuff happened.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
Haha, you have praticed avanced techs to get "higher ranked". JESUS CHRIST people, advanced techs mean NOTHING if you dont know how to use them in play. Congrats, you can sometimes wavedash,dash dance, maybe even do some pretty nifty edge play... against what, a level 1 computer, or maybe you are REALLY good and practice against a higher level computer...myabe even good enough to beat 2 LEVEL 9s.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Lol at ^^^ above post. Exactly. And actually, many good players prolly cant beat 3 lvl 9's if friendly fire is off XD SO that doesnt prove ****. Y do u think ken used to practice on level 1's if he didnt have any1 to play? Cuz Computers dont mean ****. Advanced play isnt as important as mastering some things against REAL LIFE PLAYERS!!!! N00BS!!!!!!!

Peace

HZ514

Smash Cadet
I can't argue with this at the worldwide level, since very good in that sense is much more than being very good in your local game. However, I actually do look at it from a local perspective, and I'm proud of being "Average" on this scale. I don't delve into the "advanced tactics" or "mindgames", not because I think they're "stupid glitches", but because I really don't feel the urge to spend the time necessary to get them. I do respect the people I meet who can pull those things off, but I would never want to be them.

(By the way, my friend, who does know how to do all that stuff, led me to these forums, so here I am. My first post. =D)

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
Lol at ^^^ above post. Exactly. And actually, many good players prolly cant beat 3 lvl 9's if friendly fire is off XD SO that doesnt prove ****. Y do u think ken used to practice on level 1's if he didnt have any1 to play? Cuz Computers dont mean ****. Advanced play isnt as important as mastering some things against REAL LIFE PLAYERS!!!! N00BS!!!!!!!

Peace
with fox, you can practice tech skill on cpu's...

and its "Peace outz"

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
xD forgot about that Brawlpro, i meant the peace outz thing XD. Also, tech skill without mindgames is useless. If u can shffl and then shine but they just wavedash back and forward smash... then your tech skill didnt do crap. And @ HZ514... if u dont do advanced tactics then how are u average player?

Peace

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Be realistic.

Amazing
You place top 8 in a major tournament.
Good
You make it out of pools in a major tournament.
Mediocre
You end up getting eliminated somewhere in pools.
Bad
You tie for last in pools.
Didn't go to tournament
Screenshots or it didn't happen. There is no objective criteria to rank yourself.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Be realistic.

Amazing
You place top 8 in a major tournament.
Good
You make it out of pools in a major tournament.
Mediocre
You end up getting eliminated somewhere in pools.
Bad
You tie for last in pools.
Didn't go to tournament
Screenshots or it didn't happen. There is no objective criteria to rank yourself.
I'd prbably be a Mediocre XDD..
off topic: ..hey yur s/n seems familiar.....where did u find your screenname????

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I dislike this immensely, because parts of it are patently unreal;

n00bs as he describes would be 4 stocked by anyone fairly good.

novices are accurate

I'd say average should be "super novice" and that should extend until they gain some control over basic techs.

above average should be average, and that is when people get the techs somewhat down, and are comfortable with the character. This is when they start with mindgames, really.

Very Good should become above average. Above average is when you can incorperate advanced techs and mindgames. You can not only WD, but use it to cross people up.

Expert becomes very good. You finally have a chance to do well in tournies.

Pro stays the same, as does legend.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^ lol, could you explain yourself? I hope you don't mean that no one gets better after a certain point--because that isn't true, as long as they see what is bringing them down, and change it

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
Haha, no. People definitely improve. Im saying that nothing ever changes onthis thread. Someone says they are above average or pro or whatever, then talk about some of the advanced techs they are learning, then everyone flames them.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Lol at above post. Average is literally not a skill level. He is describing average as what he believes the median of the best and the worst would be. For example, if you took every player that actually knew what advanced techs were and lined them up from worst to best...the middle player would approxiamately what he described. I know that that is technically a mdeian, but its gernerally that.
If u want more exact, then rate every1 who knows what an advance tech from 1-10. 10 is like mew2king, 1 is like first time ever seeing/using a wavedash. If u took the average of all those numbers (i.e if there is 4,5,6,2,3... add them and divide by 5) then whoever is rated the number that is "average"is what an average player is.
This is y i laugh when i see every1 says they are above average or more, because if every1 is above average, then the qualifications for an average player become what is now posted as above average. An above average players should make mistakes technically less than 20% of the time, as well as use mindgames very well. Very good would be like mistakes technically less than 5-10% (based on what every1 agrees on), and your mindgames would be like, ZOMG I JUST GOT MINDGAMED!!!!!!!! Anything above that is just like 2% or less error, and you use mindgames like "eating and drinking" if not more common to you by then.
This is a very short summary to answer questions and create an opinion amongst every1 that we can discuss logically. BTW skill is not based off tournies, rankings lists are. If when Ken was still the best he went to less tournies, but could still beat any1... he'd be the "best" unofficially, but the rankings would put some1 else as best. So tournies are only for rankings lists, have nothing to do with skill. Though the person who does go to more tournies will end up better in the end. So you people who go to tournies, just know you are prolly better, and that you have more bragging rights, people who dont go to tournies, prove that you have beaten some1 on the skill level you describe yourself to be. If i didnt go to tournies, but i played even with the top 3-5 people in my state, just prove it and people accept that as you are good, but on rankings you cant be.

Peace OUTZ (the capital "outz" was for BrawlPro XD)

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
In between very good and expert. I don't like melee enough to advance any farther.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
HAHAHAHA. How can u get to expert and not like melee enough. Expert is like forward, dashizwiz, rob$, chillindude, and tink. So how would you get to that level of play and not like melee much?!?!?!

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
My bad. If that is the case, then expert is like Silent Wolf, Eggz, Gawes. You still are no where near those with how u described yourself lol. I'll let this thread die, but i would like it to stay because of post count XD.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Hmm... going by this chart, my tech skill would be at "Expert" yet I am nowhere near the other things listed in that category. I haven't even played people that are at the same level as me, let alone better. Heck, I've never even played people that have SWF accounts. It's quite sad, actually.:(

I don't think it's very accurate....

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Someone on pro level can beat someone on expert level 99% of the time they play, same with expert to very good, and so on

Lol, I once 4 stocked some neighbor kids 1v3 with Boozer on FD, I must be LEGEND

Top Bottom