• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SINGLES Lucario Match-Ups and Directory! Mario will brb saving a princess

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
and Nexus is the best RoB main in Socal.

jussayin never heard of any olis out of florida doing anything.
He was in honerable mention in fl PRs up until they stopped doing to honorable mentions. But instead of criticizing it, try it. No ones strategy is perfect but I have never lost to an oli in tourny.

Steam

Smash Hero
He was in honerable mention in fl PRs up until they stopped doing to honorable mentions. But instead of criticizing it, try it. No ones strategy is perfect but I have never lost to an oli in tourny.
you've never lost to an oli but you play in a region not known for any good lucarios or olis. so the oli won't neccecarily have good lucario exp. I'd be more apt to listen to the people who play rich brown a lot. jussayin.

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
We have alot of extremely good Olis that aren't ranked. Umm AdamE and others. And there may not be alot of good Lucarios in Fl but look at Lee Martin, How many lucarios are in his state, yet that doesn't stop him from being one of the best. I don't think anyone should over look anyones explanations for how to do things and tell them it's wrong. Have you ever tried what I posted? If you said "If you **** all over the Oli player you'll have a better chance of beating him" I cant tell you you're wrong cause I havent **** on my opponent. But I can try it, or at least take bits and pieces of it and use it to my advantage because player tend to see different things.

Steam

Smash Hero
not what I'm trying to say.

I was just saying that you saying "I've never lost to an oli before using this method" doesn't really hold much sway because you don't play notable olimars :/

Dnyce

Smash Master
*cracks knuckles*

less pikmin is more time plucking new ones which is punishable.
Lol

Olimar does not appear to have anything to beat it down except Fsmashes with purple; it clanks at low %s.

I was under the impression that aura is transcendent... meaning nothing clanks with it. I consider not getting hit by your move by using one of my own "beating it" regardless if the pikmin dies or not, lol.

-1 pikmin for no damage taken? Bet.

If Olimar grabs you and Uthrows you, DI away from him and try to jump to not get comboed into ~40% damage
Uthrow sets up for 40% combos? You should post on the oli forums and let us know =D

Thanks for the generic "use DI so you don't get ***** :awesome:" advice though

I have wins on a Oli main named Fearless
Ugh... I have a feeling... -_-
I think that if you can keep pikmin on you thats better. It boosts aura and Oli is so light that killing isn't a problem.
Oh god...

I called it...

Always approach from above.
so painful... ugh

I'll elaborate later. :troll:
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

please don't

The Olimar can easily run away and pluck a fresh set of six within a few seconds.
Or just 1
Heck, they can pluck and then shield immediately.
Can't you do that with any move? I don't see why this is helpful to know ._.

I dunno the purple health off the top of my head but I think its somewhere around 30% HP
-_-''

15%
If you have his pikmin on you then he doesn't have them so you have a better chance on getting in on him.
By "doesn't have them" you of course mean "doesn't have 1-3" - if only life were so easy where you could mosey on up to some olimar and get in free attacks because he didn't realize he had no pikmin when you ran at him.

Whistle + paying attention > your strategy (so far)

Oli doesn't have many options in the air on lucario so deal damage to him in the air. :troll:
Yup. Your main strategy should be to throw him off stage and then hit him cause then he gets lolgimped for not having air options. :awesome:
Why haven't people been doing this before?!?

If you approach Oli from above at an angle, he doesn't have many options. Run throw pikmin, usmash, piv grab or jab. Maybe utilt or nair. Maybe. But nothing that anticipation can't handle. Perry any attack and oos nair. :troll:
tl;dr
(1) Don't get his by his moves...
(2) Try to hit him with your moves...
(3) Maybe you might win? :awesome:

I mean... I'm always telling the olimar forums "just powershield all the attacks he uses and you'll be fine"

I think everyone knows Oli gets lolgimped :awesome:
wait... what?

Try to get a good read on the whistle and punish.
That's funny... my advice is to always get a good read on their attacks and movement and whistle. Your strategy prolly works though, idk what I'm talking about.

On second stock oli has to come after you.
Since when? Is that in the rules... maybe I didn't get the memo. Pretty sure there isn't anything that as to make me approach though. I'm perfectly fine with waiting until an RPS situation comes up that I think I can win, lol. 8 minutes is a long time ;o

I know this seems like it wouldn't work, but it does.
You should write a book.

I got you started with a cover page =D

DP
Purples have 18%
little damage like 1 or 2 percent don't affect the purple.
Every pikmin is like that.
To quote myself...
Fino who is now lolbanned and had his guide removed said:
1% Armor phenomena:
For reasons unknown, 1% damage attacks do not affect a pikmin’s HP as normal attacks do. While taking many 1% attacks, they live at a much higher percent than 2% attacks.
lol, after two years I found another typo XD
Yayme
IIRC yellows have 12% so do blues,
if you could recall correctly - 9 and 14

reds have 14
yellows have 12% so do blues, reds have 14 and yellows have 10
You said... "if I recall correctly"... and you contradict yourself... way to go broski
you were wrong both times too
*highfive*
whites have 2-5?
Oli use blue to grab (watch out it will kill us at 130) White for damage or grab (long *** grab range and alot of pummel damage) Yellows go through sheilds reds are **** for areals and smashes. We all know about purple.
Olimar can use any pikmin to grab, do damage, shield poke, reds only do best in aerials and by only a small margin over blues...

Oh and Usmash with purple has a ****ing retarted hitbox.
At least you got 1 thing right *Hands dwho? a sticker*
lol@spelling ******** wrong
I'm glad you pride yourself in Oli knowledge :awesome:

And there may not be alot of good Lucarios in Fl but look at Lee Martin, How many lucarios are in his state, yet that doesn't stop him from being one of the best.
Lee Martin also consistently places well nationally... nice try though :awesome:

"duur but uhh erm fearless hasn't been to many natls"

Lee martin also wins tournaments too :troll:

GGs

:shyguy: :shyguy: :shyguy:

EDIT!!!

No, fearless is one of the best olis in Fl
and Nexus is the best RoB main in Socal.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
purples have 15% health? I thought it was higher.

while you're here health on each pikmin?

btw RT if they're pulling pikmin thats a chance to get in, and the less pikmin they have the worse his recovery is.

time spent pulling pikmin is time spent not throwing them at you.

btw Fino just destroyed everything D Who said so I'm prob not gonna read his posts.

Dnyce

Smash Master
while you're here health on each pikmin?

btw RT if they're pulling pikmin thats a chance to get in, and the less pikmin they have the worse his recovery is.

time spent pulling pikmin is time spent not throwing them at you.

btw Fino just destroyed everything D Who said so I'm prob not gonna read his posts.
Purple - 15
Blue - 14
Red/Yellow - 9
White - 4

Pikmin pluck is anywhere from 7-13 frames - depending on the stage. I mean, unless you're playing on the third phase of castle siege, I don't understand why people think it's so punishable.

culexus・wau

its not that punishable

but its a time where you're allowed to get closer to olimar and force an RPS situation.

Lets discuss stages.

I like neutrals that give olimar very little space to deal with.

Yoshis/Battlefield/PS1/FD/Smashville are my main picks.

I'll CP Frigate/Castle Siege/Brinstar/Pictochat/PS1

I'm fine with being taken to Frigate/Delfino/Pictochat/Rainbow/Norfair/Japes

I avoid Halberd/Green Greens/Lylat anything with a low-ish ceiling without good trade-offs really.

if you want me to go in depth about a stage ask.

Dnyce

Smash Master
its not that punishable

but its a time where you're allowed to get closer to olimar and force an RPS situation.
.-. that's not very discrete

I can just as easily 504badgatewaytheorycraft and say
pluck a pikmin and buffer boost pivot grab when you're 1.5 pivot grab lengths away from lucario:
-if he runs in he'll get grabbed
-if he rolls in he'll get grabbed
-if he SH wait to see what he does
1)if he rises with any aerial and keeps coming towards you, punish landing with pivot grab.
>>just in case he aerial dodges into the ground and does spot dodge or roll, buffer downsmash with the analog + A so if lands you input dthrow and if it misses the dsmash is out to punish the dodge.
2)if he doesn't rise with an aerial run in and shield
>>if he hits your shield with FF nair, nair oos.
>>all other aerial just usmash oos
3)if he aerial dodges into you usmash and buffer jab
4)if he retreats punish landing with a shield grab (never dash grab)
-if he FH, uair
>>do a retreating fair if you miss
-if he shoots an AS either shield or fsmash
-if he doesn't do anything/spot dodges, throw pikmin

I mean... there's a situation where I, on paper, win an RPS 100% of the time. idk, what's the point in giving advice if you're going to be vague?

On the other hand, playing a textbook game won't always give you the win. Match-up discussion is always so lulzy :troll:

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
I hate posting in these kind of threads because when two experiences contradict each other, one experience has to be the right exp.*

Of course raw misinformed or forged factors should be dealt with.

Steam

Smash Hero
I think japes is one of our better stages against olimar. The stage can screw oli over hardcore and the ceiling is more like the atmosphere. high purple ratio is : ( though

culexus・wau

bad theorycraft didn't read fino :troll:

I'm just stating my opinions lol, I like killing pikmin because it forces olimar to either pluck or have to deal with a smaller line-up.

tbh the only things I kill are Blues/Purple tho.

Sometimes Red.

Match-up Discussions are lolz but like I participate in them so I can learn stuff.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
I think japes is one of our better stages against olimar. The stage can screw oli over hardcore and the ceiling is more like the atmosphere. high purple ratio is : ( though
It's sad that I never see a tourny with japes legal.

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
Hey guys. Just saying, me and Lee Martin's Lucario were going about even around MLG Orlando. D Who legit beat me. Everything he's saying isn't legit, but he knows the fight pretty well.

thats all

If you want MU info just AIM me or PM me too lazy to do a write up

culexus・wau

I don't care if he knows it if his advice sucks.

:X

I wanna discuss this MU with someone tho Im bored.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I guess if we still want to talk about it I could.

I tend to have issues approaching Olimar, I'm not sure how to do proper mix-ups to avoid pivot grabs at times. It feels like rock paper scissors sort of, but I suck at it and pick wrong most of the time.

I've tried shooting FCAS when I'm about to land around him to try and him it if he goes for a pivot grab, it sometimes works or I get grabbed because I was in start-up of firing it.

Dunno, what do people think of it?

culexus・wau

if he's pivot grabbing just stand there.

he's losing space.

once he's at the corner he can't pivot grab anymore.

you have to always shoot the AS before or as he imputs grab.

f6 charge release vs f11 grab

or buffer roll/sidestep on landing.

Dash Aurasphere at a little farther or at fsmash tipper range [olimar's] is really our best approach.

you can even walk Aurasphere.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
luigi is just broken. once you are past 70% it gets even more stupid. Have you ever got hit by fsmash?

NNID
LilG912
I barely know this MU because it's very rare to find good Lucarios, I only played PatG and JohnG's Lucario. I'll just my little 2 cents on this. Both Luigi and Lucario cockblock each other when it comes to aerials (Lucario's dair and Luigi's nair). We can jab y'all baby auro ball thingy or block w/ our fireball. Majority of the roster outranges Luigi so I know Lucario can outrange Luigi and you guys should able to outspace Luigi as well. It will be a difficult task to kill Lucario since Luigi is a close up character and Lucario is much stronger and can take the lead easily and both chars have good DI. That's all I have to say atm, I barely play Lucarios.

culexus・wau

Luigi is not fun to fight at all.

like.

at all.

if you try to fight him you lose.

So you might as well go in with the mindset that you're going to play gay as possible.

treat him like he's ICs except he can nair you out of A LOT of your strings.

The early % game is kinda hard since Luigi can cancel out our auraspheres, so do your best to safely deal damage and try and play reactive.

Luigi is slow and his traction is bad, You can get away with playing a reactive gain vs him if you know his options.

DownB gets shut down by shield -> Dash Attack/grab.

Aerials? in General luigi is going to rise with his 1st aerial and then try and jump-in with the 2nd.

if he does bair he's trying to space outside of your grab range probably, or he's going past you and crossing you up which requires him to be VERY close already due to his bad airspeed.

Fair probably means he's trying to poke the top of your shield or he wanted a quick hitbox out.

Rising SH uair is uncommon but deceptively very good, pretty much the same as fair but sweeping hitbox is above him instead.

I'm not actually sure what the reason for using dair is, it hitbox doesn't sweep but eh. probably "oh he's below me, dair!"

The 2nd Jump-in Varies.

Nair/Fair/Uair are all for quick fast falled landings and the usage only differs in where they want to send us if it hits.

Bair is for spacing out our grab range mostly.

Airdodge is for when they want to buffer into grab or an escape.

Dash Fireball... is really safe early %s, but once our full charge and then half charges eat through it it loses effectiveness.

Approaching Shield is really slow, but walking is usually better because he can cancel into jab, just grab his dash imo.

Roll... lol, you should know what to do Vs slow rolls.

done for now,

next post

****** HIS RECOVERY AND WHILE HE'S ON/NEAR THE LEDGE LOL

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
^This. :(

Luigi can do nothing but try to time a cyclone, or spam fireballs.

I'll try to get more info out on this match up when I feel a little less lazy.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Lucario can't get any where close to luigi on the stage and this is where the problem comes. Luigi is the baiting king. Even if you hit him he soon reminds you that he had bad tration and you cant follow up. If you see a luigi standing still don't even do anything.

culexus・wau

the **** chez.

thats completely wrong.

luigi's bad traction means you can get his *** offstage EASY if you hit his shield.

if he's standing still you really should just hold out AS, or just stand there really.

if he's walking towards you... meh just run away.

Steam

Smash Hero
yeah luigi has to get a read or PS something (which prolly involves a read) to get in on us... luigi's lack of traction like saves our (and pretty much the rest of the cast's) *** in this MU.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
the **** chez.

thats completely wrong.

luigi's bad traction means you can get his *** offstage EASY if you hit his shield.

if he's standing still you really should just hold out AS, or just stand there really.

if he's walking towards you... meh just run away.
Luigis I have played generally stay in the center of the stage. The rest of what you said is just a restatement.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I've played YoshQ a lot, I've MM'd him a few times and played him in friendlies trying to learn this match-up.

Luigi is not someone you can fight face to face so easily, he has the fastest moveset in the game, yeah faster than MK's overall. He can beat us int a boxing match up close so space to keep him out of range. Ftilt, this move is very key in this MU, because of his shield push Filt will push him too fair away, even if he power shields it all he can do is get one jab off before he slides too far for a follow up.

His nair is really dumb, last MM I had with Yosh, I tried to fair nair when he respawned, he DI'd up and hit me with the sweetspot and killed me. Fortunately aura does out range it. Shield grabbing is very good in this match-up but you must do it at key moment's if Luigi does it while rising you can't shield grab him, if he saves a jump so if he falls into you he can do a rising Bair, you can't shield grab that either.

Fireball isn't really a huge threat of camping, Lucario can beat it out with FCAS at higher %. Fair can beat it out, etc.

The goal is to space and keep him out, if he gets it, it's gonna get really messy. Jab>UpB works hardcore on Lucario, be very very careful when he gets it, if he gets too close no DI will save you from the combo, if you have some distance you have a better shot to PS the UpB. Luigi's will use more Jab Dthrow if they can't kill with UpB yet since it set-ups with Uair and Utilt strings.

I'll post more later.

culexus・wau

the gayest part of this match is the beginning because BAS and FCAS aren't that effective.

but once its gotten to the point where Half charged and full charged blast through luigi's fireballs and you have a lead this match-up becomes EZ-peasy

getting the lead back if you're losing.. is scary [and quite different due to luigi shield mechanics] but doable, just get him offstage etc.

I really was not kidding when I said the key to playing this match-up is not fighting him.

run

shoot spheres

zone

once he's offstage, keep him off.

and its easily a solid advantage for lucario, winnable for the other side if the luigi can get in and capitalize however, so don't let him!

Top Bottom